Author Topic: [WTD] - Move out of sydney - NSW  (Read 6524 times)

Offline [JET-20T]

• anwrx member no.1
  • antrx.com junkie
  • boxer
[WTD] - Move out of sydney - NSW
« on: Jul 23, 2006, 05:37PM »
I've been pondering about it for a while...

I remember back in yr12(which was only 3yrs ago), a substitute teacher i had for an engineering studies class had said that sydney slowly was going to become to expensive, and had said that a move a perth would be the most logical thing to do. Insticitvely we as a class laughed at him and made a mockery out of his "prophetism", but it left me with the feeling that maybe he was rite. Maybe it was the fact he was meant to be an economics fill in.

At this point in time, i've been feeling dejected. Theres been shit thats so messed up happening around my family involving my girlfriend etc... And i haven't been able to stop thinking that maybe it is time to take control, and maybe move on to proper things.

What is the rest of Australia really like.

I've heard good things about melbourne, and i was really impressed by the gold coast( ???? i can't remember where we went) when i went up to pick up the bluebird. But this Perth place.... I've only been once for a week holiday to Western Australia when i was young. Everybody at work says that perth is real good, and ive read in the papers and a quote in one of the post from someone here that there is a 5 or 10 percent growth boom happening or something or other?

Its almost impossible to be able to buy a house here. Prices have skyrocketed that much. I feel that the future is limited here in sydney to those who earn in the top tier e.g 60k onwards, to be able to live comfortably. And not many jobs like that around. Or should i say, not until your about 30-35 they come around. Neither am i expecting to earn that much now.

Question is what is the other main centres around australia like. I suppose people will always grunt about how unhappy they are when they feel it. So,

your views.....................
traction kicked in yo!

Offline SAIUN

• antrx.com junkie
  • ~(> ^_^)>
Re: [WTD] - Move out of sydney - NSW
« Reply #1 on: Jul 23, 2006, 05:46PM »
Biggest drawback about Perth is bands/musicians/sport events etc. not coming here. Most bands will only come to Perth if they're going to practically every city in Australia. I remember once there was a band that went to Alice Springs but not Perth. Honestly, FTW??

If stuff like that doesn't matter too much, then Perth is alright. We have Gelare, which is an ice cream place that only exists here and in Singapore.   :P
Current mods:
ANTRX.com KA24E Stage 2 ECU chip (5kW)
ANTRX.com sticker (30kW) ;D

... that's about all.

Offline bigpud2012

• "I drive a pissweak auto"
  • post whore
    • RSI - Adelade Sports Imagery - Clipsal 500 Classic Adelaide etc
« Reply #2 on: Jul 23, 2006, 07:47PM »
well asmuch as Adelaide is paid out its a pritty good place to live

Offline Resin

• i have 5 studs
  • nsw local moderator
  • post whore
    • Gardening Forum
« Reply #3 on: Jul 23, 2006, 08:59PM »
hahha i agree with u jet .......sydney is very expenisve ....dunno whether melbourne is any better ...but i did like it alot wehn i went .......but that may have been just becasue i was with uni firends ....we were there for a week (we were pissed every night) and it was new place ......dunno. Newcastle might be alright ......cheaper than sydney but is catching up as everybody  in sydney realises it is cheaper and moves up there ...making it more expensive.

Offline bogan_bob

• antrx.com junkie
« Reply #4 on: Jul 23, 2006, 10:04PM »
Yeah Adelaide's cheap, not so nasty, there is stuff to do on a saturday night if u can be bothered, fun roads to drive on with in 30 mins of the CBD, no insane traffic ever, unless you go north on a long weekend. Adelaide. Its alright.

http://ozvr4.com - check it out :)

Offline SAIUN

• antrx.com junkie
  • ~(> ^_^)>
« Reply #5 on: Jul 23, 2006, 10:49PM »
I remember back in yr12(which was only 3yrs ago), a substitute teacher i had for an engineering studies class had said that sydney slowly was going to become to expensive, and had said that a move a perth would be the most logical thing to do.

People, he's asking about Perth. Darn Adelaideans hijacking the thread.  :P

I guess if you wanted to, you could spend a week in each city and find out what it's like... but that would cost you $$$. Stupid suggesetion, really. Ignore me.  :-X
Current mods:
ANTRX.com KA24E Stage 2 ECU chip (5kW)
ANTRX.com sticker (30kW) ;D

... that's about all.

Offline imaspy

• Captain Chaos
  • vic local moderator
  • post whore
  • DUN, DUN, DUUUUUUHHHN!!!!
    • A collection of some of my photography
« Reply #6 on: Jul 23, 2006, 11:18PM »
ok

melbourne is a bit better than sydney. dont open the can of worms though, lest thee be shat upon.

BUT.... the best places right now are brisbane and perth.... in that order...... brisbane is growing at an exponential rate..... lots of fun stuff happening there..... good area..... perth is roughly the same.... low crime, beautiful weather...... just a little more boring than brissy. i am a melbournite thru and thru and though perth was relaxing, it was also a little boring compared to syd and melb. depends on hwat you like. the roads are also...... much........................ slo.......................... .......... werrrr....................... ............................. ........ you get the point.

either way, if you wanted to get where the action is, bris or perth are where its at. ive often said, for me, the only two places i could LIVE in australia would be melbourne or perth.

fire any q's now.

drew.
You have friend, I have friend. My friend go to your house, put bomb under your floor and blow you to fucking sky!

Offline Marty

• west oz local moderator
  • post whore
  • *no car :(*
« Reply #7 on: Jul 23, 2006, 11:24PM »
ok I've just come back from a trip to mel syd and brisbane
sydney was pretty average (from all the hype)- sorry to anyone there
melbourne was pretty good and so was brisbane,
perth is still the place I'd rather live though,

but also in saying that,
We have too many easterners coming over at the moment and the rent vacancys are at 1% and I cant buy a friggin house :)

So go live in brisbane

.............. or adelaide ;)
Wanneroo (Barbagallos) short track time 63 seconds (58 - Evo) long track 79 (69 - Evo)
Mods - Bosch 910 fuel pump, Nismo 555cc injectors, Z32 AFM, USB Bikirom, Full Whiteline Handling Kit, DBA Rotors, Tomei Poncams + GT2871. (174ahkw)

Offline bogan_bob

• antrx.com junkie
« Reply #8 on: Jul 23, 2006, 11:31PM »
Brisbane, last week when i was there anyways, was drier than an afgans shoulder, and unless they get significant rain will have no water for summer. Literally, their dams are at 35 %. and then perth has too many abo's. No offence to anyone of native decent.

Adelaide all the way. or Port Pire. HAHA  :D

http://ozvr4.com - check it out :)

Offline xxxx

• antrx.com junkie
« Reply #9 on: Jul 24, 2006, 12:43AM »
adelaide has no where near as many decent hotties as sydney tho :( and no krispycream doughnuts either :(:(
Noss you look like a cereal killer ;D

well not our fault that saantrx is gay as

Offline imaspy

• Captain Chaos
  • vic local moderator
  • post whore
« Reply #10 on: Jul 24, 2006, 01:52AM »
melb has kirspy kreme now. but who gives a flying rats ass about a fucking gay american fat chain selling fatty mcfatfats to people.... not me.... :)
You have friend, I have friend. My friend go to your house, put bomb under your floor and blow you to fucking sky!

Offline Rake

• vrrrmm sssssh pstch
  • antrx cruise monkey
  • post whore
  • quack
    • http://www.tldr.com.au
« Reply #11 on: Jul 24, 2006, 03:52AM »
trust me krispy kremes gets mighty old mighty quick.

Offline ashman01

• Thats Mr. Man01 to you.
  • post whore
  • Slowly getting there
« Reply #12 on: Jul 24, 2006, 08:17AM »
ok

melbourne is a bit better than sydney. dont open the can of worms though, lest thee be shat upon.

BUT.... the best places right now are brisbane and perth.... in that order...... brisbane is growing at an exponential rate..... lots of fun stuff happening there..... good area..... perth is roughly the same.... low crime, beautiful weather...... just a little more boring than brissy. i am a melbournite thru and thru and though perth was relaxing, it was also a little boring compared to syd and melb. depends on hwat you like. the roads are also...... much........................ slo.......................... .......... werrrr....................... ............................. ........ you get the point.

either way, if you wanted to get where the action is, bris or perth are where its at. ive often said, for me, the only two places i could LIVE in australia would be melbourne or perth.

fire any q's now.

drew.

Agreed but gold coast is better :) Id say brisbane because you can always move down here when you get sick of brisbane and want a change. Also there is the sunshine coast. But gold coast is the place to go. Having lived no-where eles (execpt melb 4 a month) i can say its my way of life. Melbourne was great but the weather and the cold. There is alot more to do there but we have surfers paradise or the 4 theme parks :).

Offline SSS

• Administrator
  • post whore
« Reply #13 on: Jul 24, 2006, 08:40AM »
And petrol is cheaper up in qld too apparently. if i was going to move, it'd be to qld/brisbane.

Offline Rake

• vrrrmm sssssh pstch
  • antrx cruise monkey
  • post whore
  • quack
    • http://www.tldr.com.au
« Reply #14 on: Jul 24, 2006, 10:27AM »
I spent a week in Brisbane, had good fun. I'd live there. Dunno about south though, Sydney can get plenty cold enough at times.

I guess I'll always have an attachment to Sydney having been born and raised here though.

Offline noss

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • great scott!
    • antrx
« Reply #15 on: Jul 24, 2006, 02:11PM »
a few simple words.

dont move to brisbane. i'm sick of all the sydney asshats moving up here, making the place expensive and turning brisbane into bondi without a beach. go move anywhere but here. seriously, brisbane isnt brisbane anymore because people are trying to make it into sydney.

ah that was a nice vent. i thoroughly enjoyed that.

i've lived in brisbane, sydney & melbourne.. i enjoy melbourne the most, but dont move there either cause i want to go back and there must be minimal sydney interference.

thank you have a nice day.

http://polyfedelicio.us/imgs/ - free image hosting for whatever you like

Offline Colby

• post whore
  • KA24DE powered TRX
« Reply #16 on: Jul 24, 2006, 02:20PM »
Well Melbourne does have the best mayor in Aus... Clubs are pretty good with plenty of bands.

However the roads of melb arent so good during peak times... terrible infact, and the greedy police have revenue cameras everywhere.  Public transport is pretty cheap (much cheaper than Qld) so kinda makes up for it in a way.

I've heard that its pretty easy to get a job in Perth area, due to their rapid expansion, and it looks pretty.  But so far away from everything... bands, exabitions etc dont come along as often, and hollidays anywhere are expensive!

Personally i'd live in Melb or just about anywhere in Vic, Newcastle, or Brisbane and surrounds.  Or if you are after a real change... Canada is just like Australia, but with better snow and cheaper US imports  ;)

Offline imaspy

• Captain Chaos
  • vic local moderator
  • post whore
« Reply #17 on: Jul 24, 2006, 03:09PM »
yeah but dont go to canada hoping to import any cars..... according to my gay fuckwad dickhead roommate, you cant import cars to canada, or its crazy-hard to do so or something like that.

i dont think that melbournes public transport system is terribly cheap, else people would be using it instead of paying 1.47 for juice every day. agree the traffic is heavy though.
my sister recently took a job in the CBD. she lives in mentone. she went over the maths of it. a monthly train ticket (Z1/2) would cost roughly the same as driving to the city, less parking. so if its more expensive in other cities, then i think thats fucking ridiculous. high prices of petrol, everyone having to be concerned about the environment? apparently not. i think most people would rather have the relative safety of their own car. until the govt changes the cost and safety of PT, people wont use it.

but anyway yes, melbourne has the best cultural side of all cities..... thats what i believe anyway :)

Offline SSS

• Administrator
  • post whore
« Reply #18 on: Jul 24, 2006, 03:38PM »
but bracks is a [i seem to suffer from tourettes], and will be getting voted out next election.

Offline imaspy

• Captain Chaos
  • vic local moderator
  • post whore
« Reply #19 on: Jul 24, 2006, 03:41PM »
yes i dont doubt this...... but without jeff making a comeback, politics just wont be as fun ;D

Offline bigpud2012

• post whore
« Reply #20 on: Jul 24, 2006, 05:07PM »

brisbane is growing at an exponential rate..... lots of fun stuff happening there..... good area.....

ahahah thats because there arent any old farts!!!!

Offline imaspy

• Captain Chaos
  • vic local moderator
  • post whore
« Reply #21 on: Jul 24, 2006, 05:19PM »
yeah give it time young son.... soon it will be the florida of australia, and many a cantankerous old fart shalst moveth to the place of the sun. ahaaa! suck eggs! 8)

Offline noss

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • great scott!
    • antrx
« Reply #22 on: Jul 24, 2006, 08:03PM »
have to disagree there colin.. melbourne is shocking for public transport.. $3.80 to use public transport for 2hrs in zone 1.. that'd get you zone 1-4 all day in brisbane.

i travel about 30km on the train in brisbane to the city, costs me $27 for a weekly ticket, ticket that takes me the same distance in melbourne on the met system last time i bought it was $58.. the only good thing about melbourne's public transport is the v-line.. the tickets for that is cheap as which is probably what you're thinking about..

it was cheaper for me to drive to the city from croydon than to catch the train, plus it took a quarter of the time if i didnt get bad traffic.

the bonus of public transport in melbourne is the trams.. but the cbd of brisbane is that small you dont need trams, you can walk.. as for the inner city suburbs, they're covered by the ferry, which use the same ticket as the trains.
« Last Edit: Jul 24, 2006, 08:05PM by noss »

http://polyfedelicio.us/imgs/ - free image hosting for whatever you like

Offline bigpud2012

• post whore
« Reply #23 on: Jul 25, 2006, 01:20AM »
hahaha when i was in melbourne for the Grand Prix i didnt even pay for a single tram ticket!

ahahah stupid victorian public transport system is too honest !

Offline I'm what Willis was talkin' 'bout

• Irish Correspondent
  • i will wear a bikini for food
  • post whore
« Reply #24 on: Jul 26, 2006, 11:23PM »
I was born in Melbourne, still live there now, but I spend quite a lot of time working in Brisbane and Sydney and occasionally in Perth and Adelaide. 

Sydney just annoys me, a city built with no foresight or planning that is impossible to navigate and has a large wanker population. 

Brisbane is like Geelong, it's nice but boring.  I could leave the hotel I stay at in Brisbane's Southbank and run nude down the streets in the area and no one would even be out to see me doing it.  Glorified country town.

Adealide is still stuck in 1983, mullets and flanelette rule.

Perth is nice, a large hot female population and........that's all I can think of.  Nice.

Melbourne has it's moments of shitness, but I'd take it over any other city in Oz right now.....it's amazing what you learn when you've spent the best part of the last 5 years travelling all over the place for work.
TeamManSnag

Homer!  What have you done to the car?  I don't think it had broken axles before.

Before!  Before!  You're living in the past, Marge.  Quit living in the past.

What, I never said I didn't like it asshat! :P

At least I don't think I did... but if I did, then I'm the asshat.

Offline imaspy

• Captain Chaos
  • vic local moderator
  • post whore
« Reply #25 on: Jul 26, 2006, 11:39PM »
amen to that S... karma to you.

Offline bigpud2012

• post whore
« Reply #26 on: Jul 27, 2006, 12:43AM »

Adealide is still stuck in 1983, mullets and flanelette rule.

aaaaaaaaaaahahahahahaha, aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahahahahah.

i cant stop laughing, aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahahaha

Offline Jtas

• Sarcasminator
  • antrx cruise monkey
  • post whore
« Reply #27 on: Jul 27, 2006, 04:37PM »
If you look at it this way...

NSW- Tooheys
QLD- XXXX
VIC - VB/Carlton
SA - Coopers
TAS - Cascade/Boags
WA - Swan?

The choice is obvious.

::)

Offline Wolf In Sheep’s Clothing

• antrx.com junkie
  • Ma-Jik
    • Ma-Jik
« Reply #28 on: Jul 27, 2006, 05:07PM »
Obvious alright move to Germany for the good Beer!!!!
Written off HNU13 Atttesa, PM me for part requests.

Offline imaspy

• Captain Chaos
  • vic local moderator
  • post whore
« Reply #29 on: Jul 27, 2006, 05:56PM »
i dunno why, but emu export is the perfect beer when its 44 degrees in perth... must be a combination of the bugger-all humidity and alcoholic content of the beer 8)