Author Topic: U12 5 Stud Conversion  (Read 3285 times)

Offline SR20ME

• antrx.com full member
U12 5 Stud Conversion
« on: Jun 10, 2015, 12:28AM »
Hi guys

Its been a while right? Hope all is going well with your projects.

The next 6 months I have some consistent free time and I will hopefully finish off a range of task on my project.

I was doing research into a 5 stud conversion, mainly for a choice of more wheels with the benefit of bigger disc rotors.

I found this thread http://www.antrx.com/smf/index.php/topic,4804.msg280014.html#msg280014. I will still test this out when I get to a 'Pull it off yourself' wrecker in Sydney as they have two J30 Maximas in the yard.

I got thinking and so did a check of disc rotor sizes between the U12 and A32/A33 Maxima. There is only a slight difference between the hub height and overall disc rotor size between 1 - 4mm. These hubs are obviously not as old so if I had the choice and it was possible, I'd take the A32 hubs.

In the thread I've posted, Craazy has stated to get new bearings to suit. I am guessing this implies to just get new bearings for the model that the hubs belonged to i.e. J30 wheel bearings.

Anyone with info, I would greatly appreciate it!

Offline SR20ME

• antrx.com full member
Re: U12 5 Stud Conversion
« Reply #1 on: Jun 13, 2015, 09:39PM »
I'm guessing nobody left on the forum has done this conversion or has tried to use Maxima A32/A33 hubs???

Offline deviate

• antrx.com senior member
« Reply #2 on: Jun 13, 2015, 09:55PM »
I've got a five stud u12 but sorry I didn't do it myself you could ask micka8

Offline Dragon

• What do they call a mini pringle!?!
  • antrx cruise monkey
  • antrx.com full member
« Reply #3 on: Jun 13, 2015, 10:32PM »
i think Pure_Sincerity did a 5 stud aswell. maybe ask him
"Noss is GOD"

Offline SR20ME

• antrx.com full member
« Reply #4 on: Jun 14, 2015, 12:04AM »
i think Pure_Sincerity did a 5 stud aswell. maybe ask him

Thanks Guys, appreciate your help and ideas.

I don't think PureSincerity comes on the forum anymore since he purchased a different car (was an R34 Skyline?). I endeavour going to the wreckers in the next two weeks anyways to find out for myself but the more information I have the better.

I've had to work out a lot of stuff about the car I bought off Dano on my own. After my research I know he used the Avenir callipers and disc rotors which are identical to an A32 Maxima (confirmed from trial fitting at a wreckers). His used an N14 SSS manual gearbox non-lsd but with the hubs I don't know if they are N14 hubs with N14 cv shafts (outer and innner) or U12 hubs. I am guessing they are U12 hubs with N14 inner CV shafts but I will have to double check. They are modified CV shafts but one was too short by the people who did the engine and gearbox conversion (read my project thread).

Offline SSS

• Administrator
  • post whore
« Reply #5 on: Jun 14, 2015, 12:27PM »
I've been haphazardly on and off searching for new A31 front rear hubs to do a 5 stud conversion - however I'm probably going to abandon the idea and go straight to a centrelock setup if I can find wheels for the right price.

I know this doesn't help, but honestly, there is still a ton of wheels in 4 x 114.3.

Offline Dragon

• What do they call a mini pringle!?!
  • antrx cruise monkey
  • antrx.com full member
« Reply #6 on: Jun 14, 2015, 01:38PM »
if your doing the conversion more for the wheels than the bigger brakes i know gktech do a 4 to 5 stud adapter for the s13s

http://www.gktech.com/index.php/4-to-5-stud-wheel-adapters.html
"Noss is GOD"

Offline Pure_Sincerity

• post whore
  • noss is my father
« Reply #7 on: Jun 14, 2015, 10:35PM »
J30 gear guys.

Complete front hub assemblies other knuckles and all bolts straight in the front. Comes with a better backing plate design with holes for rotor cooling.

Rears you just take the hubs.

Over here in QLD, you can get front and rear setup for your u12 for like $150
U12 TRX
KA25DE
HIGH COMP
MEGASQUIRT
COILOVERS
INDIVIDUAL THROTTLE BODIES

Offline Pure_Sincerity

• post whore
  • noss is my father
« Reply #8 on: Jun 14, 2015, 10:37PM »
IIRC the a32 uses different spline and front shafts don't match up, but the j30 complete setup does.

And the A32 maxima rear rotors and calipers are much larger and bolt straight on I'm pretty damn sure, I was going to do it to my u12.
U12 TRX
KA25DE
HIGH COMP
MEGASQUIRT
COILOVERS

Offline SR20ME

• antrx.com full member
« Reply #9 on: Jun 15, 2015, 12:12AM »
Thanks guys for the info. So J30 is the go then. 

A32 maxima brake callipers are a direct bolt on for the U12 hubs from my own trial fit and swap at a wreckers (I am guessing A33 will be as well).

I know there are a lot of wheels that are 4 stud but not a lot compared with 5 stud patterns. I'll weigh up the cost and time of labour and see if it is worthwhile in the end.

PureSincerity...did you put new bearings in your hubs? If so how much was each bearing. I'm guessing labour to get them pressed in would be $50 to $100 at a tyre shop.

Offline Pure_Sincerity

• post whore
  • noss is my father
« Reply #10 on: Jun 15, 2015, 09:58PM »
Bearings in my j30 assemblies were still good, I ised those
U12 TRX
KA25DE
HIGH COMP
MEGASQUIRT
COILOVERS