Author Topic: '88 Executive Hu  (Read 3428 times)

Mortal8

'88 Executive Hu
« on: May 25, 2003, 09:11PM »
Hello there,

I just bought a 1988 Pintara Executive Gli. The stock head unit is a Phillips, I believe. You know the ones that need you to type in a code if your battery goes flat or something? Anyhow, I wanna replace it, but it seems kinda large.   ??? Question: Will I fit a new HU in there easily, or am I gonna have to make something up to cover up gaps? Seems to me it's got a fair bit of height compared to new models. (I'm looking at entry level Pioneer CD/tuners if that helps)
Thanks! ::)

Offline imaspy

• Captain Chaos
  • vic local moderator
  • post whore
  • DUN, DUN, DUUUUUUHHHN!!!!
    • A collection of some of my photography
Re:'88 Executive Hu
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2003, 09:28PM »
hey there.

you might find most headunits have smaller faces than what the gap is in our gli's.... in which case you just need to get a plastic surround to fill out the rest of the space, which are very common, and can be bought for about $12 at good car audio places.

just please dont tell us you will buy from JB ;)

later!
You have friend, I have friend. My friend go to your house, put bomb under your floor and blow you to fucking sky!

Offline noss

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • great scott!
    • antrx
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2003, 09:36PM »
some head units even come with a choice of plastic surrounds that are made to cover the gaps in older model cars.

http://polyfedelicio.us/imgs/ - free image hosting for whatever you like

Mortal8

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2003, 11:03AM »
Yeah, I figured you must be able to buy something like that. I haven't actually measured the unit against others, but it seems obviously taller than the modern stereo's. Guess I'll have to head down to AutoBarn and try to find one of these doo-dads.

Ciao for Niao  :)

Mortal8

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2003, 08:30PM »
By the way, if anyone's taken out that Phillips unit in their own cars, will a new  HU bolt straight onto the frame, or is that going to involve a bit of engineering and a couple of beers too?
I just love it when these things become complicated . . .;)
Just thought I'd ask before I pull it out next week and find out the hard way!  :-[

Cheers...

Offline noss

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • great scott!
    • antrx
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2003, 11:11PM »
bolts straight up to the cage thing.. no beers or engineering involved  ;D

James

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2003, 10:55PM »
yeah, should all be fairly staight foward, and u know where to come with any problems :)

Offline Deanodriver

• antrx.com full member
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2003, 03:10AM »
this is an R31 Pintara, eh?

I've had troubles getting mounting brackets to fit in mine ('88 Pintara GXE wagon), and I think you have to remove teh side panels of the console thing (looks like a bitch, haven't tried it), and screwing them in)

you'd probably find out more at www.r31skylineclub.com, being that antrx is more about the later model Pintara...
Former Pintara owner, now driving a Pug!

Offline imaspy

• Captain Chaos
  • vic local moderator
  • post whore
  • DUN, DUN, DUUUUUUHHHN!!!!
    • A collection of some of my photography
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2003, 11:00PM »
i had an r31 pinnie myself.

headunit replacement is dead easy compared to the u12!  :o

just remove the four screw that are holding the plastic surround in over the radio itself (one of them you have to take the ashtray out to get to).

then remove the screws that hold the metal bracket, then slide it on out!

E Z   ::)
You have friend, I have friend. My friend go to your house, put bomb under your floor and blow you to fucking sky!

Offline Deanodriver

• antrx.com full member
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2003, 09:38PM »
four screws?
where are they?
oh, and in case it matters, my Pintara is a GXE...

I was thinking maybe taking the side panel things off and screwing it in from there, but from what i see, it's gonna be a bitch to put in...

Mortal8

« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2003, 10:17PM »
Deanodriver, you're obviously havin' problems judging from your posts on www.r31skylineclub.com and here. But I dont understand. Have you managed to take off the plastic surround that goes right around the radio and encompasses the cigarette lighter, ashtray and bottom compartment? Or are you talking about the steel frame inside the dash that holds the stereo?
Here's how you do the plastic surround. You pull out the ashtray. IN the gap where it used to be you'll see two phiilips head screws. Remove these. Now, the cigarette lighter - remove it like you wanna light a smoke - theres another screw in there on a 45 degree angle up. and I think thats all the screws there is. That whole surround should just snap out now - hopefully not too much of a snap ! :)
Now the wires from the cigarette lighter device will be attached to the back of the surround, and I left them attached, just hanging there from the dash. You can manouvre it around so you dont have to detach the wires . . . You'll figure it out.
And inside, the holy grail - the steel frame that holds that dodgy Phillips AM/FM tape deck.
Okay, but if you were talking about how to mount your new HU in that steel frame, it's just a matter of bolting it in . . . Unless your particular HU has no hope of fitting in there . . . Then you gotta get your crayons and paper out and design a way to make it stay in there .
I'm all talk, I havent actually replaced my HU yet. (Next wed when I get paid) But I did pull it right out to see how easy it was gonna be to swap . . .
Does this help? I'm interested in case I encounter a problem you're having, is all .

Ciao for niao! :)

Offline noss

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • great scott!
    • antrx
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2003, 11:13PM »
when your attempting to install your head unit, are you trying to fit it in the factroy mounting frame, but also within the mounting bracket that comes with the head unit? because if you are, that will never work. it just simply wont fit. bolt the head unit direct to the factory mounting.

Offline Deanodriver

• antrx.com full member
« Reply #12 on: Jun 8, 2003, 08:05PM »
I've got mine fitted now, but with the R31's, you have to re-wire the speakers, and to install it, i took out the plastic surround, drilled holes in the steel frame, and bolted the headunit into it, seems to work OK...