Author Topic: 6X9 installation  (Read 2651 times)

VB1

6X9 installation
« on: May 5, 2003, 12:36AM »
Hey people,
Doing the old DIY stereo instalation, anything you can recomend/tell me before i install 6X9's in the parcel shelf up the back. I have been told that i will have to cut some metal?? Do the 6X9's clear the springs for the boot??

Do most of you take the plastic pockets off the doors when you put in 6" speakers in the front to make them fit easier and to stop the sound from reflecting back towards the speaker???

Seeya :)

Offline KNG P1N

• humpin ya mumma since '85
  • post whore
  • dont hate the player.....hate the game
Re:6X9 installation
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2003, 03:45PM »
buy some 6x9 risers, and screw them into the parcel shelf, heaps easier, looks good, cost u about 15 bucks, saves cutting the shelf
And there's not much I can say
But we miss you every day
And I'm bitter 'cause it's unfair
We'll be drinkin' in the sun
Playing music having fun
Cause one day I'll see you there
R.I.P, M.M 1984 - 2005

89tipintara

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2003, 07:08PM »
those risers will help clear the springs and lock rods (or whatever you call them) i had trouble with these until i bought risers.

James

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2003, 09:30PM »
Another Idea if you have the time is to build urself a new parcel shelf to accomadate (sp?) the new speakers.
Its best to build it out of 20mm MDF - the advantage is that the mdf gives u a surface that is more rigid to mount the speakers into. it will make your speakers sound a thousand times better.
When i first installed my 6x9s in my corsair i installed they sounded terrible, but after building an mdf parcel shelf they sounded really good (in comparison)
The other advantage is that when u want to sell ur car, i u like u can take out the speakers and put the orginal carpet shelf back in keeping it looking nice and tidy :)

And in regards to the front speakers, i took the map pockets off and am in the process of building replacement ones to mount my speakers into. at the moment they are just off with the speakers in the door. ;)
Thats my $0.02

Ps i no longer have any rear speakers and when i took them out i was extremely glad i had kept the old shelf :)

Offline bungs

• post whore
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2003, 11:23PM »
i'm no car audio expert but 20mm is pretty think. I mean, sub boxes are usually 16mm and they work just fine.

James

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2003, 02:57PM »
yeah it is 16mm would be fine, 20mm is just what i had left over from sub box ;) there's no set thickness, i was just making a suggestion, lol im no audio expert either   :)

Offline Nizzan

• antrx cruise monkey
  • antrx.com junkie
  • I am NOT a llama!!
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2003, 06:35PM »
yeah the mdf makes a huge difference, u can pick up a sheet from bunnings for like $12 or something. (Its enough to make 2 shelves)

i found that especially the bass is improved, my speakers on their own make my car seem like theres a 10" sub in the boot!

well worth the trouble if have time and the tools to build one!

Offline ZEXTCY

• antrx.com junkie
  • I dare ya
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2003, 08:30PM »
it`s because speakers mounted to metal creates reasonance mounting to mdf or similar gets rid of this

i can go into more detail but i`m tired and falling asleep - maybe some other time  8)
What is the point of a signature, who REALLY reads it??