Author Topic: front speakers what to buy!!  (Read 11267 times)

sportsltd

front speakers what to buy!!
« on: Oct 1, 2002, 09:53AM »
i am in a toss up between a 6 1/2 inch xplod 3 way 200 watt peak 50 watt RMS
or the infinity 2 way 4 inch 100 watt peak 50 watt RMS

whats everyones opinion i know i will get better bass out of the xplod but in terms of which one is easiest to install etc

pls help!!

both are the same price so thats not an influence!!
« Last Edit: Jan 1, 1970, 10:00AM by 1043326800 »

Offline mitza

• antrx.com junkie
Re: front speakers what to buy!!
« Reply #1 on: Oct 1, 2002, 10:12AM »
Honestly..neither speaker is easy to install, that is, neither size is a straight swap. In the front of Pintaras, the speakers used are I think 6 x 4 inch oval speakers mounted in the doors. So, unless youre going to get 6x4 inch oval speakers (which are pretty rare nowadays) youre going to have to make some new speaker mounds/surrounds. The cavity in the door is big enough for 6 1/4 inch....all the way up probably to 8 inch!! Not sure about depth though.
Which ever speaker you choose (Id do go the 6 1/4 inch) Pull off the door trim, and you'll see the pissy factory speaker and its mount. Unscrew that, 3 screws if I can remember, and you have a hole in the door to make a new speaker mount to play with. Use those same three holes to mount a piece of wood to, cut the new speaker hole out (best done when NOT mounted already to the door) and then mount the speaker onto that same piece of wood. So, in theory, youre making a big hole, smaller to fit your speaker. Good luck!

Offline fmx_rider

• west oz local moderator
  • antrx.com senior member
  • TRX? Nope.........WRX!
    • Fmx_Rider's Motocross Site
« Reply #2 on: Oct 1, 2002, 09:54PM »
Go 6 1/2's-so the xplods...I don't particularly like them tho but better than 4 inch 2 ways. They idea is to get the sense that you have bass up front...so 4 inch speakers would be no good.
Get splits if you can! better bass and treble with splits.
MY98 WRX...work in progress: 3 inch SS turbo back exhaust, high-flow cat, K&N air filter, SPS silicone Y pipe kit, TMIC tilt mod & waterspray @ 8psi, scoop splitter, meshed MY99/00 frontbar + full colorcoding, clear indicators front/side, blue badge; Formula Ferodo TS2000 brake pads, Whiteline 22mm adustable rear swaybar with HD gold links, front strut brace; stereo consisting of Alpine, MB Quart, Eclipse & Rockford Fosgate components + IPOD dock...Next month LINK ECU & more boost (previous ride modded 1989 Pintara T)

Offline mitza

• antrx.com junkie
« Reply #3 on: Oct 2, 2002, 05:22AM »
Splits rock...get them! If you want to mount your tweeters flush, they will only fit in the kick panels......or in one particular spot in the door...ask weseal about the later options...mine are in the kicks.

Offline noss

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • great scott!
    • antrx
« Reply #4 on: Oct 2, 2002, 06:25AM »
how much are they? u mention they are the same price but dont tell us how much...

if they're reasonably pricey, u cant go past spending the extra few dollars and getting pioneer 6" splits for $380-400

http://polyfedelicio.us/imgs/ - free image hosting for whatever you like

Offline noss

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • great scott!
    • antrx
« Reply #5 on: Oct 2, 2002, 06:28AM »
So, unless youre going to get 6x4 inch oval speakers (which are pretty rare nowadays)

jbl make a good set of 6x4's they are somewhere around the $150-180 mark. jb hi fi stock them.

as for mounting 6" speakers, its a piece of piss.. ge a round 6-6.5" mdf ring, usually the ring is an inch thick, so if you get the 6.5" ring you can still put your speakers in. screw the mdf ring to the door, screw the speaker to the mdf. simple. thats what i've done. minimises buzzing too.

Offline fmx_rider

• TRX? Nope.........WRX!
« Reply #6 on: Oct 2, 2002, 06:56AM »
$380-400 I'd be looking at focal or alphine...but if sportsltd was looking at xplod 3 ways these would be equal or less than about $200, so not near.

You can flush mount tweeters in more than 1 spot...depends on size tho (MB Quart for example have big tweeters-harder to fit). I have mine flush in the top of the door trim (the vinyl part above the fabic trim) close to the front of the door.

Most manufactures still make 6x4's....you just have to get them ordered in generally as they are not big sellers in the bulk shops (jb hifi) but when I was looking jb had phillips, polk and PPI 6x4's.
MY98 WRX...work in progress: 3 inch SS turbo back exhaust, high-flow cat, K&N air filter, SPS silicone Y pipe kit, TMIC tilt mod & waterspray @ 8psi, scoop splitter, meshed MY99/00 frontbar + full colorcoding, clear indicators front/side, blue badge; Formula Ferodo TS2000 brake pads, Whiteline 22mm adustable rear swaybar with HD gold links, front strut brace; stereo consisting of Alpine, MB Quart, Eclipse & Rockford Fosgate components + IPOD dock...Next month LINK ECU & more boost (previous ride modded 1989 Pintara T)

Offline mitza

• antrx.com junkie
« Reply #7 on: Oct 2, 2002, 07:50AM »
Go splits............Thats all I have to say

Offline weasel

• antrx.com moderator
  • post whore
  • ooooweeeooooo
« Reply #8 on: Oct 2, 2002, 10:07AM »
hang on fellas nobodys even asked whether the speakers are for the front or back :o

they probably are for the front  :-[

anyways if they are for the front definately go splits save up a bit more cash it seriously make a hell of a difference

if they are for the back go the xplods, the sound quality from the back doesn't need to be huge as the back is just there to "fill" in the gaps in the sound

You can flush mount tweeters in more than 1 spot...depends on size tho

It does depend on the size i got myself a set of Blaupunkt overdrive series splits and they have 1 inch tweeters so i only had one spot i could put them.

whereas the pioneer splits' tweeter is mounted on the surface with as little trouble as making a hole for the wire and two screw holes (I think) ???

but in the end man its just up to what YOU LIKE sure the advice is good but the best advice is pay the cash for what you like the sound of, look of even the feel of because it is your money that your spending

Cheers Weasel
ANTRX Stereo Junkie
"Noss is God"

Offline Joczy

• antrx.com junkie
  • feed me guiness
« Reply #9 on: Oct 2, 2002, 10:21AM »
yeah i got the jbl 6x4 2 way g series front speakers, they rip up, very resposive for the price, 130 i got em for the pair, definitely performance on a budget, wonderful clarity, not bassy though, but thats where a sub comes in handy ;).

-Joczy
"It's darkest before dawn so if u want to steel ur neighbours newspaper thens the time to do it"

Offline Tim-E

• antrx cruise monkey
  • post whore
  • doof doof
« Reply #10 on: Oct 2, 2002, 11:55AM »

jbl make a good set of 6x4's they are somewhere around the $150-180 mark. jb hi fi stock them.

yeh i have them in my front 91nismo, and they are bloody good for their size.

cost me $130 from Brisbane Car Sound (or Strathfield they might be called elsewhere). i would have assumed JB Hi-Fi would be same price of cheaper?
2.0L 4 -------> 3.0L 6. Does this mean a 4.0L 8 next?? or back to a 2.0L......turbo!

orion_ti

« Reply #11 on: Oct 3, 2002, 07:08AM »
i recommend focal!

nuff said... they have to be heard to be believed

Offline Resin

• i have 5 studs
  • nsw local moderator
  • post whore
    • Gardening Forum
« Reply #12 on: Oct 23, 2002, 03:27AM »
yea i got the jbl gto 6x4's ..cost me $125 and sound great....really clear....they do lack base but thats why u get a sub

Offline SSS

• Administrator
  • post whore
« Reply #13 on: Oct 26, 2002, 03:30AM »
X-plod speakers are sh!t IMO. You can do much better than them. Go the Infinity's.

sportsltd

« Reply #14 on: Oct 30, 2002, 03:40AM »
well i got the xplod sssgtr and they sound fine to me
IMO you are a superficial tool toucher!!

Offline SSS

• Administrator
  • post whore
« Reply #15 on: Nov 8, 2002, 09:02AM »
I have heard from many people that the Xplod line is sh!t, ie distort easily, poor build quality. You wanted everyone's opinion, and you didn't like what i had to say; therefore i thought you wasted your money on an inferior product.

sportsltd

« Reply #16 on: Nov 8, 2002, 09:21PM »
well sssgtr hopefully one day you will realise that spending heaps of money on a stereo is fucking ridiculous, i have hardly spent much at all and i am very pleased with it because i dont usually turn it up all that loud because i am not a wanker like you who buys a stereo to try to impress ppl i just have one to listen to music!! I bet you are one of those wankers that sits in a car park with his boot open so the whole world can hear it!! I havent even met you but i can tell that you are a sad pathetic loser

Offline Tim-E

• antrx cruise monkey
  • post whore
  • doof doof
« Reply #17 on: Nov 9, 2002, 02:18AM »
what about if u do lots of highway driving (where music can be blasted to your hearts content just about). i see spending lots on a stereo so u can blast it (without distortion) for your own pleasure to be fine. i try to keep my window up when i have my stereo loud, and always turn it down at lights, etc.

And i think sssgtr wasn't suggesting you spend heaps of money on speakers, i think he was saying that for the same price as Xplod speakers, u can get much better quality.

But if u dont usually have it loud, therefore dont notice the difference in quality, then thats ok. but maybe u should have clarified that from the start ???
my 2 cents.
2.0L 4 -------> 3.0L 6. Does this mean a 4.0L 8 next?? or back to a 2.0L......turbo!

Offline fmx_rider

• TRX? Nope.........WRX!
« Reply #18 on: Nov 9, 2002, 03:57AM »
i dont usually turn it up all that loud because i am not a wanker like you who buys a stereo to try to impress ppl i just have one to listen to music!!

Yeah, same with me, but after 3 years of listening, I have become progressively deaf from my system so, now I have to have it super loud just to hear it  :P

I spend heaps more time in my car than close-by my stereo at home, so I wanted good sound that didn't distort. I have now reached a happy medium of loudness and no distortion. Only cost about $1500, installed myself, has a sub and can go pretty loud. I, like Glitimmy, keep windows up, and stereo down at lights.  Does this make me a wanker?

ssgtr was only pointing out that sony is more about mass production who puts quantity and cost rather than a 'audiophile' brand like infinity which spend more time to produce better quality equipment. The sony's may sound ok to you, but not once you put >50WRMS power through them. You aren't doing this so they will be fine for you.

Offline Joczy

• antrx.com junkie
  • feed me guiness
« Reply #19 on: Nov 9, 2002, 07:22AM »
In my honest opinion, you cannot beat a company that directly focuses on making sound components on car systems/hi fi stereos.

nuff said.

my dad works partially for sony himself, all our gear is sony here, but guess what?? not a sony speaker to see, its all boston here. Sony make good speakers, just that they are not efficient at producing sound for the power they need to consume. This is where other companies like alpine, focal, boston blah blah have an edge over sony, because we are running low voltage setups in our cars, we rely on current and watts to produce sound. Sony just havent mastered this thats all. For an all round system SPORTSLTD, uve made a good choice, but crank it up and the speakers will suffer over time. If all u want is just sound then hey the sony's are good..serious sound, look elsewhere.

-joczy
"It's darkest before dawn so if u want to steel ur neighbours newspaper thens the time to do it"

Offline Joczy

• antrx.com junkie
  • feed me guiness
« Reply #20 on: Nov 9, 2002, 07:25AM »
sound components.. ie.. companies that just produce speakers as there main selling point.

Offline nizgurl

• You Fool!
« Reply #21 on: Nov 9, 2002, 07:17PM »
If I had the choice, I'd go for Kenwood 6x9's in the back, 61/4 in the front, XPlod sub, and Kenwood Head Unit.

Sony does make good stuff, but as most of you guys said, you want serious sound.. go some place else.  Sony is good for a little while, speakers that is, until you turn it up just a tad too high one day and you have to put up with distorted music until you can find better quality speakers.

Just my 2 cents
Here's 40 cents. Call me when you've got a clue.

Offline aussie-gli

• post whore
  • CA20E GLi (1998 -> 2008) U12 TRX (2020 -> ...)
« Reply #22 on: Nov 10, 2002, 02:44PM »
You're more likely to get distortion from your head unit or amps rather than ur speakers... invest in quality amps... That's the only advice I can give... I run Polk 6.5"s and Phillips 6.5" splits in the front, driven by PPI amps...  goes NUTS!!!
Lisa: Dad, we did something very bad! Homer: Did you wreck the car? Bart: No. Homer: Did you raise the dead? Lisa: Yes. Homer: But the car's okay? Bart & Lisa: Uh-huh. Homer: All right then.

Munchkin

« Reply #23 on: Nov 11, 2002, 02:14AM »
lol well i dont get into all the nitty gritty shit of it like you guys. But all i wanted was something that woud sound good for me to listen to and if a good song came on then something that wouldnt sound shit when it was turned up.
All the stuff ive got is sony and ive had it for over a year now and it does just fine for my purposes.  :)

Offline fmx_rider

• TRX? Nope.........WRX!
« Reply #24 on: Nov 11, 2002, 02:54AM »
You're more likely to get distortion from your head unit or amps rather than ur speakers... invest in quality amps

True. However IMHO sony make good enough amps. I am running a sony now (so I'm biased). I wouldn't touch a 'audioline' amp or basically anything from strathfield for that reason though, and also, because they never make the power that they say they do.
I choose to get the EQ from jaycar because it has an output of 9-12V RMS compared to most head units which are like 2-4V RMS..so therefore SQ into the amp is much better (atleast twice as clear). Rockford use this priciple (and I'm sure other top quality decks do too) in their headunits, as they have I think a 8V RMS output, and most of the expensive EQ's run similar high voltage outputs.
The 'CHEAP' head units run like 1-2vRMS output signals...very low=high distortion in signal.

sportsltd

« Reply #25 on: Nov 11, 2002, 05:29AM »
Well shame on you munchken!!

How dare you buy sony speakers they are obviously shit!!

I think i will rip mine out and put some speakers in with a better name for everyones sake!!

I think you should do the same  ;)

Offline RichTRX

• sth. oz local moderator
  • post whore
  • May the 4's be with you.
« Reply #26 on: Nov 11, 2002, 11:39PM »
Well bro, my TRX has Xplod speakers all round - I bought it with them already installed and I'm not about to rip them out just because other speakers sound better. I just don't have that kind of money, and I see no problems with the setup. I'm not buying into the huge argument that seems to have formed here, but look, each man to their own. If SSSgtr thinks Sony speakers are $h1t, then that's OK. I know there's way better speakers out there - but some of us just can't afford them, especially students like me on a low income. Personally I'm happy with my setup, and for what I use it for, which is not ear blasting, the stereo is excellent.
His: 2001 Audi S4 biturbo quattro 6sp, Nogaro Blue/black leather recaros, microsilver trim, bose 10sp, SSAC 2.5" twin turboback, RS4 rear sway, 25% tint

Hers: MY99.5 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro GP Edition AVANT 5-sp, phantom black, black leather buckets/walnut/sunroof, 2.5" D&T Turboback, K04-015, N75J, 710N DV

Bro driving: 1990 Nissan Pintara TRX 5sp Red, 16" Rozzis, Lukey 4-2-1 ext, 2.5" full exhaust, hi-flow cat, cone cai, stg 3 chip,  low Kings, GT Gas shocks, Urethane bushings, slotted front rotors, 398000k and still going strong; 0-100 in around 7.2-7.4 seconds

Offline SSS

• Administrator
  • post whore
« Reply #27 on: Nov 12, 2002, 12:29AM »

I think i will rip mine out and put some speakers in with a better name for everyones sake!!

Grow up you immature little c#nt. You wanted opinions, and you didn't like what you heard.

Everyone else: God forbid you should voice your opinion to sportsltd and receive this same horsesh!t from him!

Offline RichTRX

• sth. oz local moderator
  • post whore
  • May the 4's be with you.
« Reply #28 on: Nov 12, 2002, 01:08AM »
Well, you voiced your opinion. That's what we all did. That's what we all come here to do.

And after all, they are only opinions. We should all try to get along as a group of car enthusiasts, not argue over whose stereo is the best. That's how I see it anyway. Each man to his own.
His: 2001 Audi S4 biturbo quattro 6sp, Nogaro Blue/black leather recaros, microsilver trim, bose 10sp, SSAC 2.5" twin turboback, RS4 rear sway, 25% tint

Hers: MY99.5 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro GP Edition AVANT 5-sp, phantom black, black leather buckets/walnut/sunroof, 2.5" D&T Turboback, K04-015, N75J, 710N DV

Bro driving: 1990 Nissan Pintara TRX 5sp Red, 16" Rozzis, Lukey 4-2-1 ext, 2.5" full exhaust, hi-flow cat, cone cai, stg 3 chip,  low Kings, GT Gas shocks, Urethane bushings, slotted front rotors, 398000k and still going strong; 0-100 in around 7.2-7.4 seconds

Offline noss

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • great scott!
    • antrx
« Reply #29 on: Nov 12, 2002, 08:25AM »

yeah, i think u might have taken ppls opinions to heart a little too much sportsltd... i think it might be time to let it go.

Offline mitza

• antrx.com junkie
« Reply #30 on: Nov 12, 2002, 08:39AM »
Simply put..you get what you pay for.

If you want a bsaic system, go out into the shops and listen to various speakers, and play with the cd players.
You will be able to hear the difference in price so you can budget accordingly. Eg. Just get a basic CD deck with a pre-out, attach a half decent amp and speakers. Expensive decks look good, but arent maybe what youre after. On the other hand, you could geta  shit pair of 4inch two ways for the fron and rear, with a dvd deck, with everything thing in it. Its basically what you want, what you like, what you can afford.

Offline Resin

• i have 5 studs
  • nsw local moderator
  • post whore
    • Gardening Forum
« Reply #31 on: Dec 16, 2002, 10:15PM »
Its not just the quality and $ of the speakers though....if u dont build good speaker mounts for them ...there not going to sound as good as they did in the shop. Dont just screw em in to the metal ...as this is just a waste and causes vibrations and u loose sound quality. For a good solid sound build mounts out of 12mm mdf or thicker for the front   making sure they will fit .....this could be tricky if the speakers are any bigger than the stock 6X4's. Cover the mounts with felt and then place some sound deadening material between the mount and the metal.... I have done this in the back for the parcel shelf and the front now ....and the difference it has made is frightening. the increase in bass is the most noticible......i dont have an amp or sub.....i have decided i dont need one...
my speakers sansui 6's in the back
jbl 6x4's in the front
headunit pioneer 45x4 watt peak

Offline fmx_rider

• TRX? Nope.........WRX!
« Reply #32 on: Jan 19, 2003, 03:41AM »
Hey ppl,

Here are some pics of my PPI 6 1/2 inch splits in the front doors, showing the position of the tweeters...countersunk into top door trim, cross-over, and grill mesh over woofers. Also pic of sub and equaliser...I lost the pics of my amp install (which is sunk into the back of the sub box-looks much better than the EQ!)..sorry. All done at home by myself. Let me know that you think. Thanks again to Ryan for hosting the pics.

Offline perthTRX

• antrx.com full member
  • ## CRUIZE ## ## BOOZE ## LeT LOOze !!
    • Jeff's Web home
« Reply #33 on: Mar 1, 2003, 08:06PM »
So, unless youre going to get 6x4 inch oval speakers (which are pretty rare nowadays)

as for mounting 6" speakers, its a piece of piss.. ge a round 6-6.5" mdf ring, usually the ring is an inch thick, so if you get the 6.5" ring you can still put your speakers in. screw the mdf ring to the door, screw the speaker to the mdf. simple. thats what i've done. minimises buzzing too.

................ I didnt know u can get ready made mdf rings if so from where!! thanks

Offline noss

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • great scott!
    • antrx
Re:front speakers what to buy!!
« Reply #34 on: Mar 2, 2003, 11:59AM »
yeah, you can get them from car audio stores & autobarn.. or talk to a cabinet making company & get some made up from scrap material.. if you cant find any, i'll get my dad to make some up, and then i'll post them over

Offline mitza

• antrx.com junkie
« Reply #35 on: Mar 2, 2003, 12:31PM »
Oh come on guys, it aint that hard to make your own mdf rings!

All you need is some mdf, and a jig saw!

Offline chucky

• CRUISE MONKEY
  • post whore
  • WHERES MY STICKER?
« Reply #36 on: Mar 2, 2003, 02:55PM »
i think i'll have to go over to dads and 'borrow' some power tools, by the way, what did you use to cut the old speaker covering from the door?

i've also tried getting to this part of the door (taking off the door trimming) but im having some difficulty, i read on another thread some instructions, i'll have to try them out!

What do ralliart do??? make stickers???

Offline noss

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • great scott!
    • antrx
« Reply #37 on: Mar 2, 2003, 07:11PM »
Oh come on guys, it aint that hard to make your own mdf rings!

All you need is some mdf, and a jig saw!

i'm quite aware that its not hard, but some people like myself, dont have access to the tools to do it with. i waited until my dad was in melbourne for a few weeks to have a parcel shelf made up. and i just bought the rings.