Author Topic: Replacing starter motor (U12 KA24)  (Read 2955 times)

Offline sticks1977

• antrx.com newbie with pewbies
Replacing starter motor (U12 KA24)
« on: Jul 5, 2013, 10:23AM »
My beloved Pintara needs the starter motor replaced as I woke on Wednesday morning to a flat battery - replaced the battery and found that the starter motor is kaput.

I sourced a replacement starter motor from a wreckers so have to go about replacing it - how hard is it to do for a novice mechanical minded chap like me?

I've been able to replace my wiper pivots and do some basic mechanical work but replacing some mechanical parts seems a bit daunting...

I'm located in South East Melbourne (Pakenham) if anyone here happens to be in the area over the weekend and could offer advice or give me a hand in fixing up my TRX?

Regards, Shaun (sticks1977)

Offline MattJohn

• antrx.com senior member
Re: Replacing starter motor (U12 KA24)
« Reply #1 on: Jul 5, 2013, 11:59AM »
I'm also interested. Might need to do mine soon'ish by the sounds of things hahaha

Offline Kranzy

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12 - SR20DET
« Reply #2 on: Jul 5, 2013, 12:05PM »
Easy job to do. Just make sure you disconnect your battery before you start.

Remove cables from the back of the starter, easiest to get to from under the car.

Remove two bolts, I can't remember if the bolt from the gearbox side into the starter or from the starter side into the gearbox. Either way undo these two bolts, they can be a bit tricky. Then bolt the new starter in place, attach wires, reconnect the battery and away you go.
Quote from: noss
learnt something new just then, dont eat baked bean sandwhiches while changing the paper in the copier

"Noss is GOD"

Offline sticks1977

« Reply #3 on: Jul 5, 2013, 12:45PM »
Thanks Kranzy - will give it a go after work today or sometime over the weekend  :)

Offline Patt93

• antrx.com junior member
« Reply #4 on: Jul 5, 2013, 05:02PM »
Make sure you align it properly, or eventually the housing case could crack and blow, happened to me as the guy i bought my car off put it in himself.
http://i40.tinypic.com/25oz67m.jpg (high res)
Thats what mine looked like after it blew 2 months down the road.
« Last Edit: Jul 5, 2013, 05:03PM by Patt93 »

Offline Kranzy

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12 - SR20DET
« Reply #5 on: Jul 6, 2013, 12:17AM »
The snout of the starter will 'align' it for you. I would suggest there was another contributing factor to why that starter failed.

I have changed heaps of starters on various cars with no dramas as there is always something that 'locks' the starter into the bellhousing, whether it be a lip around the starter, or the snout itself.
learnt something new just then, dont eat baked bean sandwhiches while changing the paper in the copier

"Noss is GOD"

Offline sticks1977

« Reply #6 on: Jul 8, 2013, 08:30AM »
Happy to report that I managed to replace the starter motor yesterday - for me it was a bit of a fiddle, removing a few bits and pieces to get access to it and then working in a limited area to undo the starter fixing bolts (didn't want to remove too many wires, electrical stuff, etc.)

Probably the most advanced mechanical thing I have ever done on my car - have saved a few $ though I'm sure as the starter motor was $75 and I didn't have to fork out for any mechanic to repair it.

Must admit did have my fingers crossed when everything was back together and was ready to turn the key...  ;D

Regards, Shaun (sticks1977)

Offline Kranzy

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12 - SR20DET
« Reply #7 on: Jul 8, 2013, 03:34PM »
Great to hear mate.

I remember when I first started working on cars, and even now often cross the fingers!

"Noss is GOD"

Offline pedro666

• post whore
  • VET NEO VVL is how I roll...
« Reply #8 on: Jul 9, 2013, 08:50PM »
i drive around with them crossed...
the words "race car" spelled backward still spell "race car"? 

skype_shannan801