Author Topic: A groan from the bouncing!  (Read 3809 times)

Offline Febrile

• Forum Predator
  • post whore
  • I like having thumbs
A groan from the bouncing!
« on: Oct 13, 2003, 12:37AM »
I'm new to these forums, and also to being interested in my car in any kind of performance-enhancing kind of way.  There's lots of things I can do on my car ('89 Corsair GL) to improve it's roadworthyness, but I think I'll start with this, and I'd appreciate any advice/help:

When I go over a kerb (or any terrain that makes the shocks work) and I'm at full lock, the suspension groans (oh how it wails!).  When I've had services, the mechanics have said the shocks are getting on a bit.  So, what I want to know, is this syptom just related to the shocks, and should I replace them?  If so, do I replace the coils as well, and, most importantly, can I do it myself?

Thanks in advance from a beginner ;D
Doo-woop-shoobie-doo-waah

Offline noss

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • great scott!
    • antrx
Re:A groan from the bouncing!
« Reply #1 on: Oct 13, 2003, 02:11PM »
you can definately do it yourself.. if you've never done it before, allow a day to do it in just in case you come across any hiccups.. but most likely half a day tops & you'll be done.

not sure about the other bit of your question though.. if your mechanic reckons just the shocks, then i'd just do the shocks, unless of course you want to spend a few extra dollars on lowering your car.

http://polyfedelicio.us/imgs/ - free image hosting for whatever you like

Offline Budgie

• Dr. B Udgie - AWD FTW
  • Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12-U13
« Reply #2 on: Oct 13, 2003, 10:39PM »
Does it groan from the front, the back, the left side, the right side?

It might be a bolt on something like the rear parallel links groaning, or it might simply be that your shocks are rooted.

Have you tired bouncing the car up and down while is stationary and listening for the groans?

Anyway, your mechanic would know better than any of us as we cannot touch/see your car...
dont piss me off with your pillarless shit captain snappy wrist

Offline Febrile

• Forum Predator
  • post whore
  • I like having thumbs
« Reply #3 on: Oct 13, 2003, 10:53PM »
The groaning is just from the front (both sides I think) and only at full lock, but I haven't tried bouncing it whilst at full lock and stopped.  I shall try that tomorrow.

But this "lowering" you speak of...... I think i might like that <grins in a fit of glee> - so what's involved in lowering the car?

Offline Budgie

• Dr. B Udgie - AWD FTW
  • Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12-U13
« Reply #4 on: Oct 13, 2003, 11:14PM »
Only from the front and only at full lock?  Sounds like it would be the CV's...

Mine 'creak' at full lock when you apply anything but a piss weak amount of throttle.

On the lowering.  Noss and I lowered my car and his over two days (a few weeks apart).  It took us from 10:00 or so till about 3:00 in the morning on sunday the first time round just to do the front of both cars (my corsair and his TRX) and this was only replacing springs on both cars and a front sway bar on his TRX.

Problems were encountered however, the biggest one being the driveshaft coming out on the passenger side spilling fluid all over the place (because we had the sway bar off).   ::)

Anyway, the back was much better (although we were told the front was easier).  Take off all the suspension bits holding the bottom of the strut on (parallel links, etc) and leave the hub ON (not what the book says- take it off...)  Pull whole strut assembly out, bobs your uncle.  You've just gotta watch the brakes as they have to be taken off the rotor.  On my car they just slid back down over the rotor once we had the lowered springs in but nosses car wanted to play silly buggers.  That took us from about 10-6 on a saturday with lunch and breaks in between, on two cars.

Its good to know you can do shit like this once its all completed however.  Just need to start stuffing around with my engine a bit more now!

Offline weasel

• nsw local moderator
  • post whore
  • ooooweeeooooo
« Reply #5 on: Oct 13, 2003, 11:59PM »
Also about the groan check your power steering rack mine used to make a helluva noise at full lock and hitting bumps aswell and i replaced my steering rack and viola bob's your uncle no more groans
"Noss is God"

Offline Febrile

• Forum Predator
  • post whore
  • I like having thumbs
« Reply #6 on: Oct 14, 2003, 11:06PM »
My CV joints have needed some attention in the past, so it could indeed be them.  I tried bouncing the car at full lock whilst stationary, and nothing happened, so that probably suggests the CV joints, I suppose.

As to lowering the car - what is it that sets the height?  Is it the coils?

Offline Budgie

• Dr. B Udgie - AWD FTW
  • Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12-U13
« Reply #7 on: Oct 15, 2003, 11:04AM »
The springs denote the car's height... Put in lowered springs, your car will be lower.

Offline Febrile

• Forum Predator
  • post whore
  • I like having thumbs
« Reply #8 on: Oct 15, 2003, 01:35PM »
Ok, so all that needs doing to replace the shocks and springs (and thusly lowering the car) is to remove the suspension unit and then change the shocks and springs, and then put the suspension unit back in.  

A question about this:  the Gregory's manual says to remove the suspension unit I need to (quote) "disconnect the flexible brake hose from the bracket on the suspension unit".  I haven't yet actually got under the car and had a look at things (so I don't know what it's like under there apart from what I've seen in the manual), but I bought a jacking kit yesterday, and I'm going to change my oil on Friday, so I'll check things out then.  But, back to my query - if I disconnect this brake hose as the manual says, will I need to bleed the brake lines?  Or do I not need to remove it?  

Also, ( :-[ so many questions - but I don't want to be a post whore!) I read everywhere DO NOT GET UNDER A CAR SUPPORTED ONLY BY A JACK!!!!, so, I jack up my car, and how exactly do I get the chassis stands underneath the car without actually going under there myself?

And how do I go about choosing the right shockies and springs for my car, if I am in fact going to lower it?

Offline noss

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • great scott!
    • antrx
« Reply #9 on: Oct 15, 2003, 01:48PM »
ok.. you wont need to bleed the brakes.. the brake line is just clipped onto the strut.. you just need to remove the clip/hose so you can remove the strut. kinda not a good explanation, but you will understand when you have a look.

you wont have to get anymore under the car than your arm to put chassis stands under the car.. so if your worried about the car dropping while its on the jack for those few seconds/minutes just dont take the wheel off until you put the stands under, that way if the car falls, your arm will be safe.

to get the correct springs & struts just look in a catalogue at a parts store or ask someone at the store.

antrx can get reasonable discounts on springs & shocks. the prices are in a thread in the antrx info section.

one last thing.. dont attempt this by yourself, grab a mate or a family member or someone from somewhere to help out.. as its 10 times easier as a 2 man job.

make sure you put the top spring seat on correctly when putting everything back together too.. i'm pretty sure that the way the gregory's manual illustrates it is backwards.

Offline Febrile

• Forum Predator
  • post whore
  • I like having thumbs
« Reply #10 on: Oct 15, 2003, 01:59PM »
Thx for the answers!  Do you think I'd need to replace many of the little things in the suspension unit, such as the insulator, spring seat, thrust washer, etc?  Because it's probably be smarter to buy them prior to removing the wheels ::)

Also, with the springs (I had a look at the info section), would the extra low ones be overdoing it?  Does the 1" or 1.5" indicate how much lower the springs make the car?
« Last Edit: Oct 15, 2003, 02:10PM by Narxysus »

89tipintara

« Reply #11 on: Oct 15, 2003, 02:27PM »
man is this car power steering? if it is then read on: if it isnt then read on anyway: if you dont know then i suggest you read the following:

i had the same problem as you were describing and i had similiar advice from the mechanic as you are getting now. as you are well aware the suspension seems to be the first culprit, but i spent dollars on replacing springs and shocks and this didnt fix the noise. i suggest u get the power steering valves cleaned. when shit gets inside or the seals perish the valve struggles to open and close, thus making a sqeeking noise that is the fluid being pushing through a smaller than usual gap in the valve. from memory there is one either side...(correct me if wrong), but i suggest you get them cleaned or seals replaced. cost me 30 bucks and no noise since.

Offline noss

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • great scott!
    • antrx
« Reply #12 on: Oct 15, 2003, 02:28PM »
ok there was a mistake made by the supplier, there are only "low" springs.. but these low springs make the car a fair bit lower than a measly 1"

i'd say at leat 2" lower.. we should really get some before and after photos happening to show the difference..

most of the time all the stuff you mention will be fine to re-use.. but if you are worried & need new items, then definately get them before you take your wheels & struts out   ;)

Offline Febrile

• Forum Predator
  • post whore
  • I like having thumbs
« Reply #13 on: Oct 15, 2003, 02:35PM »
I have no idea whether the stuff will need replacing, but I thought it would be pertinent to ask, since you've done yours.  But I take it from your reply that nothing was wrong with the stuff in your suspension units?  Anyway, if I do it with a friend, then anything that needs replacing, we can just go down in his car and get it, I suppose.

As to the power steering stuff - once I've replaced the shocks and springs (I want to do these anyway, for peace of mind and coolness  8) ), if the problem still persists then I'll definetly get that checked out next.  Thanks all for your replies - I'll start planning to do the change sometime in the near future.  If you folk think it would be a good idea, I can take pictures as I go, as well as before and after lowering!

89tipintara

« Reply #14 on: Oct 15, 2003, 02:37PM »
we are always interested to see the progress someone is making with their car mate.

Offline Febrile

• Forum Predator
  • post whore
  • I like having thumbs
« Reply #15 on: Oct 15, 2003, 03:06PM »
Btw - when I jack up the car, should I pust a wooden block between the chassis stands and the car?  Or do the stands fit nicely onto the points the manual indicates to put them?

Offline noss

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • great scott!
    • antrx
« Reply #16 on: Oct 15, 2003, 03:48PM »
depends on your brand of stands.. but i wouldnt worry, you see if you put wood underneath then you'll probably be in more danger than getting under the car while its on a jack. even if they dont match up spot on they'll still be doing a good job.. just fit them to the recommended points as best you can.

Offline Febrile

• Forum Predator
  • post whore
  • I like having thumbs
« Reply #17 on: Oct 15, 2003, 10:43PM »
Yeah, I thought that might be the case.  Anyway, today I checked out under the car (without jacking it up) and have identified the jacking point and chassis stand points.  Yay!

Offline Budgie

• Dr. B Udgie - AWD FTW
  • Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12-U13
« Reply #18 on: Oct 16, 2003, 11:48AM »

i'd say at leat 2" lower.. we should really get some before and after photos happening to show the difference..

On the way as we speak noss.

EDIT- Ok, here are two pics, this is my before and after effort.

« Last Edit: Oct 16, 2003, 12:40PM by Budginator »

Offline Febrile

• Forum Predator
  • post whore
  • I like having thumbs
« Reply #19 on: Oct 16, 2003, 09:40PM »
That's pretty darn nice!

Anyone have any ideas as to what brand/types of shockies I should get?  Do I need something different if I am lowering the car?