Author Topic: which wire goes to which wire?  (Read 2312 times)

Offline Chadza

• antrx cruise monkey
  • post whore
  • B4 what?
which wire goes to which wire?
« on: Nov 22, 2005, 05:50PM »
hehe, I feel pretty stupid asking this, but which wire connects with which wire in with the front speakers. I have no idea what colour means what.

The wires I have:

Inthe door already:
1 solid black wire
1 black with white stripe wire

That came with the speaker:
1 solid grey wire
1 grey with black stripe wire

I know how to connect them but if I connect the wrong pair will that stuff the speakers?

Chad
First a Silver TRX, then a White TRX...whats next? Game Boy-Clear style TRX?

Offline B4

• antrx.com full member
  • Nothing a 50round burst won't fix
    • My Site
Re: which wire goes to which wire?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 22, 2005, 06:08PM »
i think the stripe wires match up.

Offline Complexity

• antrx.com senior member
  • Cookie?
« Reply #2 on: Nov 22, 2005, 06:08PM »
In my past experience with speakers (home audio, not car audio, but should be the same principles), connecting them up with the polarity reversed (wrong wires) had no effect, they just didn't work. If they didn't work I changed the wires then tested them and they worked then.

You could use this experimental approach if you like, unless anyone here has anything against it.

However if you wanted to be 100% certain, have a look at the arrangement of those wires (from the door) at the head-unit, look for the same wires and see where they're plugged and then pull out the install manual of your headunit and it should tell you which wire is which. Then look at the manual for the speakers and see which wire is which. Then match. (If the speakers don't have a manual, you may have to make an educated guess or experiement.

Offline rathies

• I may be going to hell but I'm going in a 4BY
  • post whore
  • Patrol of Doom coming soon
« Reply #3 on: Nov 22, 2005, 06:16PM »
USUALLY the striped wire is the ground/negative wire. that leaves the plainly coloured wire to be your postive, for god sakes dont actually ground the negative wire because thats not what its intended for. I suggest you have a look at your head unit wiring and see what colour leads to which pole.

When i say usually i mean that some companies that manufacture/wire things ass about face. most of the non-idiotic people do the stripe to the negative and the plainly coloured as your positive. in the case of two striped wires, which i think happened with my head unit wiring, the darker colour stripe turned out to be the negative pole.

fyi: the speaker will work if you connect it wrong, it will run in reverse phase meaning the voice coil moves inwards instead of outwards. I know its ok to do with subs (if its inverted), but i dont think it is for speakers. they also dont sound as clear in reverse phase.
« Last Edit: Nov 22, 2005, 06:22PM by rathies »
Previous rides: KA24ET TRX,  2000 GUII Patrol 4.2 td, AntrxWA whore TRX owner 4/5, 99 Landrover Discovery TD5
Current Ride(s):  91 GQ Patrol ST-3 RB25DET Converted :)

Offline Sticky

• Bad Luck Magnet
  • qld local moderator
  • post whore
« Reply #4 on: Nov 22, 2005, 07:02PM »
The wire with the trace (white with black stripe) is USUALLY the negative, and with the TRX, im pretty sure that is the case, its been a while, so im not 100% sure, easiest way to test is to hook the wires up, but not to the speaker, turn the radio on, the proceed to touch each wire to the "correct" terminal on the speaker, ie: grey with trace to neg, solid grey to pos, see how they sound, then reverse them, if the sound better, thats how they should be connected, if not, leave them as they were.

The best engine in the world is the vagina, it takes any size piston, its self lubricating, starts with 1 finger, and every 4 weeks does its own oil change. It's just a pity the management system is so f**king temperamental.

The Human Torch was denied a bank loan

Offline Chadza

• antrx cruise monkey
  • post whore
  • B4 what?
« Reply #5 on: Nov 22, 2005, 09:35PM »
its all good now. All wired up and sounding great. Thanks for the help fellas! ;D
First a Silver TRX, then a White TRX...whats next? Game Boy-Clear style TRX?

Offline chr1S

• r&d team
  • post whore
« Reply #6 on: Nov 23, 2005, 08:08AM »
good to hear mate, u will need to play the music loud now after the soccer game :P

yeah, like rathies said, it's not normal to run speakers in reverse phase, to know if it's in reverse or not, get a AA  battery and hook it up to the terminals, when u hear a pop and the cone moves up it means it's working the RIGHT way, not in reverse
Don't let the opinions of the average man sway you. Dream, and he thinks you're crazy. Succeed, and he thinks you're lucky. Acquire wealth, and he thinks you're greedy. Pay no attention. He simply doesn't understand.

to be fair, it wouldn't be ANTRX if we stayed on topic.

and if someone wasn't cranky at Chr1s for something he said...

Offline Jono

• The Wise Man
  • Global Moderator
  • post whore
  • memory boy!
« Reply #7 on: Nov 25, 2005, 12:00AM »
You can also check with the factory speakers... If you connect a 1.5V (AAA, AA, C or D) battery to the stock speaker, look at the cone if it moves up the wire on the + side of the battery is the + wire and vice versa. Trace the wires back through the plug to the wiring and see which wire's which. From memory: Stripe = negative in Pinnies, but it'll be different for every car.
#1 Post Wh0re
pringles was here!

Offline Zyros

• antrx.com newbie with pewbies
  • new kid on the block
« Reply #8 on: Dec 28, 2005, 08:00PM »
hehe, I feel pretty stupid asking this, but which wire connects with which wire in with the front speakers. I have no idea what colour means what.

The wires I have:

Inthe door already:
1 solid black wire
1 black with white stripe wire

That came with the speaker:
1 solid grey wire
1 grey with black stripe wire

I know how to connect them but if I connect the wrong pair will that stuff the speakers?

Chad

For future reference, the stripped wire always connects with the other stripped wire.. and then just plug the remaining.

Offline Jono

• The Wise Man
  • Global Moderator
  • post whore
  • memory boy!
« Reply #9 on: Dec 28, 2005, 09:40PM »
It depends on what colour stripe, oh and btw stripe has ONE P. Stripped wires means the insulation has been removed from them.

If it's a red or white stripe it's the + wire, if it's a black stripe it's the - wire.
#1 Post Wh0re
pringles was here!

Offline budda

• antrx.com junior member
  • new kid on the block
« Reply #10 on: Jan 31, 2006, 12:34AM »
stipe is negative wont stuff it if u do it wrong but i dont think it will sound qite as good but u realy cant tell

Offline Sticky

• Bad Luck Magnet
  • qld local moderator
  • post whore
« Reply #11 on: Jan 31, 2006, 08:25AM »
mate this thread is over a moth old, and Chazda had obvioulsy already sorted the issue out.

The best engine in the world is the vagina, it takes any size piston, its self lubricating, starts with 1 finger, and every 4 weeks does its own oil change. It's just a pity the management system is so f**king temperamental.

The Human Torch was denied a bank loan