Author Topic: BennyGee's Boot, new project.  (Read 3999 times)

Offline BennyGee.

• antrx.com junior member
  • new kid on the block
BennyGee's Boot, new project.
« on: Feb 1, 2006, 09:57PM »
Hey all, welcome to my project page
Ive resently desided to udgrade the sub in my boot from being a shit box, with a prosound sub and rampage amp.

This new box will contain a selection of equipt that ive allready bought-
2x Alpine Type S 12"  2ohm
Pioneer 7100 800wt mono powered amp

anyway ill put up pictures and steps as im going along and ull see how thing comes together.

cheers.

Offline Sticky

• Bad Luck Magnet
  • qld local moderator
  • post whore
Re: BennyGee's Boot, new project.
« Reply #1 on: Feb 2, 2006, 07:42PM »
sounds good dude, that pioneer amp is a little lean to run those subs, but it shouldnt be too bad, make sure you run them in series

The best engine in the world is the vagina, it takes any size piston, its self lubricating, starts with 1 finger, and every 4 weeks does its own oil change. It's just a pity the management system is so f**king temperamental.

The Human Torch was denied a bank loan

Offline Kranzy

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12 - SR20DET
« Reply #2 on: Feb 2, 2006, 08:26PM »
From what i know the alpines are dual voice coil which means you cant get to a 4ohm load. Thinking in my head at the moment and can only come up with each coil run in parallel (each sub 1 ohm) run in series will make a 1ohm load which will be far to unstable for the pioneer amp. or the coils in series which will be 4 ohm per sub making an 8 ohm load total in series or 2ohm in parallel.

So either way you'll either be under using the amp or over using it. You need to get 2 x S types (4 ohm) that way each coil in series and the two subs in parallel which will give you the 4 ohm load.

Hope i havnt lost you there.
Quote from: noss
learnt something new just then, dont eat baked bean sandwhiches while changing the paper in the copier

"Noss is GOD"

Offline Jono

• The Wise Man
  • Global Moderator
  • post whore
  • memory boy!
« Reply #3 on: Feb 2, 2006, 08:35PM »
What is the impedance of each voice coil? If it's 2 ohms then you can wire them up to make a 2 ohm load, i'm pretty sure the amp would be 2 ohm stable.
#1 Post Wh0re
pringles was here!

Offline Kranzy

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12 - SR20DET
« Reply #4 on: Feb 2, 2006, 08:37PM »
Pioneers run 4 ohm stable if what i remember is true. Basically all pioneer subs are 4ohm so it would be pointless for them to release an amp not compatable with there subs.

From what he said its the 2ohm version of the S type which would mean each coil is 2ohm. I explained he can have a 2ohm load aswell in there somewhere.
learnt something new just then, dont eat baked bean sandwhiches while changing the paper in the copier

"Noss is GOD"

Offline Kranzy

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12 - SR20DET
« Reply #5 on: Feb 2, 2006, 08:41PM »
http://www.pioneer.com.au/car_entertainment/amplifiers/gm7100m/index.html

Looks like this amp can be run at 2ohm...i havnt looked at there amps/subs in a while but when i did everything was 4ohm which is why i went alpine for subs and amps...much better bang for buck in my opinion.

"Noss is GOD"

Offline Jono

• The Wise Man
  • Global Moderator
  • post whore
  • memory boy!
« Reply #6 on: Feb 2, 2006, 10:33PM »
Most of the new amps on the market can drive a 2 ohm load
#1 Post Wh0re
pringles was here!

Offline Kranzy

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12 - SR20DET
« Reply #7 on: Feb 2, 2006, 10:44PM »
I assumed they would be designed for the pioneer subs which are all a four ohm setup all bar 2 i think that are dual voice coils. My bad...

"Noss is GOD"

Offline Sticky

• Bad Luck Magnet
  • qld local moderator
  • post whore
« Reply #8 on: Feb 3, 2006, 01:07AM »
yeah the GM7100M can be run at 2ohm, which is where it makes its max power, 360RMS i believe.

The best engine in the world is the vagina, it takes any size piston, its self lubricating, starts with 1 finger, and every 4 weeks does its own oil change. It's just a pity the management system is so f**king temperamental.

Offline Bullion

• antrx.com full member
  • Hey hey!
« Reply #9 on: Feb 3, 2006, 09:12AM »
Are the subs dual 2ohm, or dual 4ohm?

Most monoblocks are stable to at least 2ohm no matter what brand. They will need to be dual 2ohm subs to run off that amps max power.
1993 U13 Bluebird

Powered by Alpine Electronics and D2 Racing Suspension

Offline Kranzy

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12 - SR20DET
« Reply #10 on: Feb 3, 2006, 10:22AM »
I believe i have said twice that it can be run at 2ohm if they are the dual 2ohm subs.

"Noss is GOD"

Offline BennyGee.

• new kid on the block
« Reply #11 on: Feb 5, 2006, 06:10PM »
just finished making my box this weekend, it looks awsome. it was a difficult project as the box is quite complex, ull understand wen i put the pictures up this week.  btw the subs coils are wired in serial, and both in parallel to the mono output: subs are 2ohm+2ohm.  amp is a bit weak but it has up to 12 db bass boost if it doesnt punch hard enuf.

Offline Sticky

• Bad Luck Magnet
  • qld local moderator
  • post whore
« Reply #12 on: Feb 5, 2006, 08:07PM »
DONT USE BASS BOOST

it will cook your subs in no time,all it is, is an gain overdrive, a gimick that fucks stuff up

Offline Bullion

• antrx.com full member
  • Hey hey!
« Reply #13 on: Feb 6, 2006, 03:57PM »
Indeed... Bass boost just boost  certain frequency, usually 45hz or so. So then that frequency distorts first before everything else, and distortion is bad...
1993 U13 Bluebird

Powered by Alpine Electronics and D2 Racing Suspension

Offline BennyGee.

• new kid on the block
« Reply #14 on: Feb 10, 2006, 02:43PM »
well i had much progress this week, finishing my box completely  ;D.

the design just fit and in my opinion looks quite nice. i also replaced the boot light with a small blue neon stick.
Overall power of the system isnt overly impressive but i knew that would be the case and im not to fond of pounding headache material anyway, so im happy with the outcome.

pics of the box being made are in my other camera so theyll have to wait.

« Last Edit: Feb 10, 2006, 02:57PM by BennyGee. »

Offline Carbon-goodness

• On ya bike!
  • post whore
  • self confessed antrx cycling nut
« Reply #15 on: Feb 10, 2006, 10:50PM »
man that looks schmicko! tho i take it that u wanted to go with the black carpet instead of keepin it in uniform colour? still, very nice contrast tho! how soes it look @ nite with the neon stick? is there any space so that u can c in behind the box? cos it may look kick ass @ nite it u hav some funky neons glowin behind it all?
If somebody asks you, "can I ask you a question?" and you say, "no",  you're actually answering a question. Think about it....

Offline BennyGee.

• new kid on the block
« Reply #16 on: Feb 12, 2006, 05:32PM »
black is universal, so if i put it in another car it wont look off.

the neon isnt fancy and just give a small glow down on the box so u can see it, dont really want a light show in there.

Offline Carbon-goodness

• On ya bike!
  • post whore
  • self confessed antrx cycling nut
« Reply #17 on: Feb 12, 2006, 11:51PM »
ahh, fair nuf! afterall....less is more!   :P   ;)
If somebody asks you, "can I ask you a question?" and you say, "no",  you're actually answering a question. Think about it....

Offline omad

• antrx.com senior member
  • that's MR. Monkey to you...
« Reply #18 on: Feb 21, 2006, 01:06AM »
Bass boost isn't a gimmick, it's a tool/feature. It's used to boost the fequency output of a certain range, like Bullion said usually around 45Hz. You can get some amps or amp modules, as well as equalizers that can actually vary that frequency as well, giving you more control over where your bass is strongest and allowing you to tune your system more effectively.

Trying to drive any speaker hard when it's underpowered will inevitably kill it, as will overpowering it.

Neat install, dude. Looks the goods :)  Are the subs separated in the box? I know it's a bit late now, but it's usually a lot better if they are. A little bit of some sort of padding also helps the sound of the subs to be a bit more natural and a bit less 'bang' and a bit more 'thud'. Just a tip for DIY, as most pre-fab boxes come with.

Don't know if you've tried it, and haven't had a lot of personal experience with Alpine subs, but you might like to try just having the one sub on the amp and see how much you get out of it/how it sounds, as the amp's pretty underpowered for the job. You'd probably find it would go louder easier, and may or may not find it to sound a bit better. Just a thought anyway. Had 2 subs in my last setup and I just kept playing around seeing what things sounded like etc. All good fun :)

Sounds like you have the wiring sorted, subs are in series (taking them to 4 ohms each) and then in paralell on the amp (back down to 2 ohms). Could also do the reverse, but as long as it works, all is well :)  Did you find it difficult to make the box/what did you find the hardest? I'm eventually looking at a custom box. VR4 boot is just too shallow.
Got Grip?

VR4 Action.

Offline Jono

• The Wise Man
  • Global Moderator
  • post whore
  • memory boy!
« Reply #19 on: Feb 21, 2006, 06:58PM »
Dude, SSStick and I work for Strathfield, and Bullion works for Car Audio Australia. We know at least a bit about car audio ;)

Don't use bass boost if you can help it.

And as to the colour of the carpet, black is universal in that it suits cars with a black boot, but most cars have grey trim in the boot. Charcoal grey is my colour of choice for sub boxes ;)
« Last Edit: Feb 21, 2006, 07:01PM by Jono »
#1 Post Wh0re
pringles was here!

Offline Sticky

• Bad Luck Magnet
  • qld local moderator
  • post whore
« Reply #20 on: Feb 21, 2006, 07:11PM »
all bass boost is, is an overdrive as such to the gain control, you will find most high end amps have Gain, Eq, and Freqency, that is all you need to correctly tune an amp

Offline omad

« Reply #21 on: Feb 21, 2006, 11:34PM »
all bass boost is, is an overdrive as such to the gain control, you will find most high end amps have Gain, Eq, and Freqency, that is all you need to correctly tune an amp

I think that having bass boost control on a ~$1400 Rockford amp puts a hole in your theory. It can be an effective tool if you use it correctly (if you need to). I personally don't use it and prefer a more natural sound, but having the option to boost the sub at a selectable frequency would be really handy to get the most out of it, and help to accentuate bass that might ordinarily be more flat.

I agree don't use it if you don't need to, and I personally prefer it off, but having it on doesn't mean dead components. That's all I was trying to say.
Got Grip?

VR4 Action.

Offline Kranzy

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12 - SR20DET
« Reply #22 on: Feb 22, 2006, 10:06AM »
The problem is with all the people out there looking for awesome bass in terms of loudness which to them means crank up the gain and bass boost and here everything vibrate before you blow your sub. If your in the know how and are chasing quality not quantity then you will know weather you need to use it or not to achieve the sound your looking for.

"Noss is GOD"

Offline omad

« Reply #23 on: Feb 22, 2006, 10:46AM »
Kranzy for teh win!

Totally agree :)

So Benny... how's the pics coming?? :)
Got Grip?

VR4 Action.

Offline weasel

• antrx.com moderator
  • post whore
  • ooooweeeooooo
« Reply #24 on: Feb 22, 2006, 09:01PM »
bass boost does exactly that boosts bass, it's mainly used for low volume situations where you don't want it loud but still want the richness and impact of the beats, it's pretty much the same as the LOUD button (or similar feature, bassxpander other shitty new age names) on your head unit, if you actually read your manuals they advise NOT to use these features for higher volume applications,

my 2 cents

now back to bennys boot install
"Noss is God"

Offline Sticky

• Bad Luck Magnet
  • qld local moderator
  • post whore
« Reply #25 on: Feb 22, 2006, 09:51PM »
bass boost does exactly that boosts bass, it's mainly used for low volume situations where you don't want it loud but still want the richness and impact of the beats, it's pretty much the same as the LOUD button (or similar feature, bassxpander other shitty new age names) on your head unit, if you actually read your manuals they advise NOT to use these features for higher volume applications,

my 2 cents

now back to bennys boot install

which is the opposite to what everyone seems to do, my personal opinion is not to use it, ive never seen the need....

anyway, whats next on the list Benny?

Offline omad

« Reply #26 on: Feb 23, 2006, 09:10AM »
Hey benny... I just realised... are you in perth mate?

If you ever want a hand with car audio, give us a yell. Could have a play and tune your system a bit (if it hasn't been done already).

Ask Jazzie, I do a decent job. She even came back for more when she lost all the settings by removing the battery :P

Anyway, offers there. Wouldn't mind checking out what you've done as well, seeing the box etc.  :)
Got Grip?

VR4 Action.