Author Topic: Anyone do downhilling or freestylin or any soort of extreme mountain biking?  (Read 16533 times)

Offline bluebird_obsession

• antrx.com full member
  • Pintara TRX-my baby
Hey guys/girls

Was just curious if there is anyone one from this forum who does any riding? from competitions to just casual riding rond........ 
If so, post us what kind of bike you have, what kind of riding you do etc. Be good to hear from you. Especially anyone from W.A, cos be awesome to meet up and i'd show you some awesome trails i know, you could probably inform me in some new one too....

Bluey  :)

Offline LC_TRX

• antrx.com senior member
i enjoy mountain biking but rarely get the time to do any. im more into cross country rather than the extreme stuff. i have a specialized hardrock mountain bike. i live in canberra so it would prob be a bit hard to get over to WA to check out your trails.

we had some really good ones in canberra before the fires came through in 2003  :(

• antrx.com full member
  • Pintara TRX-my baby

awww really that sucks.....yeah that is a bit far ey....ah cross country ahk the laid back style lol. Yeah im a speed,adrenalin freak so yeah....love taking risks only way to live in my opinion. yeah i know what you mean by no time, i have uni, part time job lol between those things i'm mentally and physically exhausted but i always try and get out on the ol girl, as its keeps up your fitness.

yeah i have a Santa Cruz super 8 (black), i have been doing DH for about 3-4 years now.... i love its awesome but i never hear or see any girls doing it.....maybe im just to much of a tomboy who knows lol......  :D

Bluey

Offline Carbon-goodness

• On ya bike!
  • post whore
  • self confessed antrx cycling nut
BIKES! I LOVE BIKES! ;D

for the past couple of years i really gotten into the cycling scene, esp mtb'ing

more often than not, i race thursday evenings at westgate park, melb, vic (just undernear westgate bridge funnily enuf!)

have done a couple enduro events - 12 hr's and 100km thru the otway ranges (otway oddessy). plan on doin a fair few more this year. there's a "chase the sun" series at lysterfield park (where they had the commonwealth games), vic. you pretty much do as many laps around the park as you can from sun rise to sunset!

as for downhilling, i stay clear of that as i've already had 2 knee reco's and i don't want a 3rd

as you can tell, i mainly do XC mtb'ing. so anyone else wanna go riding - even if its just road riding (as i find its good for training as well!), lemme know, as i'm ALWAYS mustard to go peddling!

....bed time now, gotta go visit bikes store 2moro!

oh yeah, i ride a 2004 GT Avalanche 0.5

oh yeah(2), as we're on the "extreme" side of sports, i also SCUBA dive, so again, anyone else in vic here who also needs a new "buddy" to go divin, i'm ya man!  ;)
« Last Edit: Mar 24, 2007, 01:43AM by TRXJon »
If somebody asks you, "can I ask you a question?" and you say, "no",  you're actually answering a question. Think about it....

• antrx.com full member
  • Pintara TRX-my baby
Awesome, i have my scuba diving license too.... oi that's awesome....hmm so far there has been two XC riders...i wonder if there any DH......yeah riding sweet, i love my DH and free-styling etc etc. Mad stuff....
2 knee reco's shit, yeah my knees are starting to deteriorate, im to stubborn headed to stop...lol my bike and my car are my two baby's of my life all i need, and a few friends lol........  :D

Offline Carbon-goodness

• On ya bike!
  • post whore
Awesome, i have my scuba diving license too.... oi that's awesome....

...lol my bike and my car are my two baby's of my life all i need, and a few friends lol........  :D

Hehe, yeah all i spend me cash-ola on these days is bike stuff, car stuff and scuba stuff
If somebody asks you, "can I ask you a question?" and you say, "no",  you're actually answering a question. Think about it....

• antrx.com full member
  • Pintara TRX-my baby
Hehe, yeah all i spend me cash-ola on these days is bike stuff, car stuff and scuba stuff

LOL  :D so do i man,so do I.....i dont spend much on scuba as i dont do as it frequently but i knwo i can if i want to......its fun heaps fun cars,bikes,scuba....

Offline Budgie

• Dr. B Udgie - AWD FTW
  • Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12-U13
more often than not, i race thursday evenings at westgate park, melb, vic (just undernear westgate bridge funnily enuf!)

Jon, I didn't even know that existed!

What kind of racing mate?
dont piss me off with your pillarless shit captain snappy wrist

• antrx.com full member
  • Pintara TRX-my baby
um i think XC mtb'in

You sound like your into riding Budgie what type? and what bike?? where's your location??

Offline Budgie

• Dr. B Udgie - AWD FTW
  • Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12-U13
vic... used to race in the geelong MTB scene, then broke my wrist and was out for a month or so...

Never got back into racing, but love to ride angelsea/aireys inlet trails around the coast in vic :)

Offline Kranzy

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12 - SR20DET
broke my wrist and was out for a month or so...

This accident wasnt mountain biking either...so im told ::)
Quote from: noss
learnt something new just then, dont eat baked bean sandwhiches while changing the paper in the copier

"Noss is GOD"

Offline Budgie

• Dr. B Udgie - AWD FTW
  • Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12-U13
I knew one of you asshats was going to say that...

• antrx.com full member
  • Pintara TRX-my baby
LMAO...... Don't want to be nosey or anything but how was the broken wrist caused...work injury...? car accident...? a fight...?
I was assuming it was from a bike accident.... :-\

Offline Budgie

• Dr. B Udgie - AWD FTW
  • Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12-U13
I was assuming it was from a bike accident.... :-\

Indeed, crashed on the road however... not while racing or off on a trail ::)

Offline Carbon-goodness

• On ya bike!
  • post whore
....but love to ride angelsea/aireys inlet trails around the coast in vic :)

they're moving the kona 24hr enduro event to anglesea this year! if anyone is mustard....

www.fullgaspromotions.com.au

• antrx.com full member
  • Pintara TRX-my baby

So no one else does riding??? c'mon any W.A people....i wanna check out some new trails and yeah be good to get some pointers.......
Here i am asking what bikes people have and i haven't even told you guys what i ride, i ride a 07 EC-D Mongoose- i do downhill, done it since i was 14ish-15 now i'm 18 so 4 years of riding, crashing, learning  :D
 Is there anyone who does DH comps..? or DH

Bluey

Offline Carbon-goodness

• On ya bike!
  • post whore
So no one else does riding??? c'mon any W.A people....i wanna check out some new trails and yeah be good to get some pointers.......

how about i'll meet u half way!  :P   ;)   ;D

tho then we'll be in adelaide....  :o

• antrx.com full member
  • Pintara TRX-my baby

LOL hahaha that could be an adventure and a half, well i'm heading to N.S.W most probably soon...still not 100% sure on that, so you could inform me on some trails there and i could check them out with my brother, who also does DH.
There's another member here from NSW, who does DH, so if i go to NSW i most likley we'll meet up with him, he lives near cambewarra Mountain, so that sounds cool.
So yeah, if you have any good trials (NSW)......give us ahoy'

Bluey

Offline Carbon-goodness

• On ya bike!
  • post whore
....we had some really good ones in canberra before the fires came through in 2003  :(

CORC (camberra off road cyclists) got a portion of the 6.5 million dollars invested by the ACT government to develop Stromlo forest park (which got torched  :'( ) into mtb trails! CORC then got an additional "sport and recreation" grant of $100,000; which the ACT government matched! SO GET YOUR ASS HERE!

from what i've read, there's ~44km mtb trails; inc DH and 4X tracks.

not sure if its still out, but the feb/march/april issue of Mountain Biking Australia (NOT Australian Mountain Biking - tho i usually get this one!) has a few pages about it - got this issue free when i did the "otways oddessy" enduro event.
« Last Edit: Mar 29, 2007, 10:58PM by TRXJon »

• antrx.com full member
  • Pintara TRX-my baby
OMG really that sounds heaps awesome.......  :o Lol yeah looks like i will have to get my ass down there.Wow 44km worth of DH....that sounds like a load of fun......  ;Dhave to see if i can pop in when i go to NSW maybe...possibly.....

Bluey :)

Offline Taiwan Corsair

• antrx.com full member
I used to be into mountain biking, but since I live in Footscray I have two big problems that keep me from doing any:

1. Its a bloody long way to any good trails.
2. I can't keep a decent bike for more than 2 months without it getting stolen.

Seriously, I had a brilliant bike I build myself from the frame up and no sooner had I finished it than it was stolen. yes it had a lock on it. After that I bought a cheaper but still ok one, but that was stollen too. I have a friend (ex girlfriend) in Taiwan who works for a mountain bike company, so I may get some parts from her and do up another one next time I'm over there. Not sure at the moment though...

• antrx.com full member
  • Pintara TRX-my baby

Sure thats bloody pathetic >:(, what is this world coming into, i don't understand society seriously..... Why don't they get a bloody job and earn their own things, thats one thing id never do is steal, i cant stand those ppl who steal cars,bikes anything, its people pride and joy that they earnt, and those A@#holes have to go and take it away way from you.
If someone one stole by my car/bike i wouldn't sleep until i find them and torture them. I know one guy at my uni he got assaulted by 4 guys then they took his brand new, just modified MB. :(

Footscray, i didn't think that place was that bad..... lucky you, you know someone in the business get some good m8's rates. My brother works in a MB shop, so he gets some good bargains, so do i hehe  ;D

• antrx.com full member
  • Pintara TRX-my baby
Also forgot to ask "Taiwan Corsair", what sort of MB do you do, DH,freestyle,XC ??? \

:) and what bike did you have before it was stolen???

Offline Carbon-goodness

• On ya bike!
  • post whore
....Wow 44km worth of DH....

sorry if u misunderstood, there are about 44km of mtb trails. within that 44km, there are DH and 4X trails. so there might be about 5-ish km of DH specific....  4X trails tend to be quite short.

hehe, imagine the hike up to the top if there was 44km of pure DH! then imagine how tired your arms and braking fingers would be!

I used to be into mountain biking, but since I live in Footscray I have two big problems that keep me from doing any:

1. Its a bloody long way to any good trails.....

if you do ever get a new bike, get your ass to westgate park! right underneath westgate bridge - melb side, just across road from the go cart track. atm, they're in the process of making the park more mtb friendly. ie: more single track, and berms. they want to turn it into mtb park! yay!

• antrx.com full member
  • Pintara TRX-my baby

hahah yeah i must have been extremely tired  :( , cos yeah lol your right there, would be just a tad tireing on the ol' arms and brake fingers if it were 44km of DH..... :D

hmm i should check out this park, when i go through Melb. (if im heading to NSW) sounds cool..... :)

Offline Carbon-goodness

• On ya bike!
  • post whore
hehe, just warning you that if you do come thru melb and check out westgate park, its about 70% single track and 30% 4wd tracks; thus NO DH of any sort. the closest there is to DH'ing here is a few VERY small hills/mounds

ahhh.... for DH'ing, check out You Yangs, which is off the Princes Hwy, connecting Melb to Geelong. here they got all crazy stuff like see-saws of varying degree and wicked berms. tho to be honest, haven't been here meself, only heard from mates i ride with and articles in mags. you yangs is on me "to do" list (among other things!)

Offline Taiwan Corsair

• antrx.com full member
Also forgot to ask "Taiwan Corsair", what sort of MB do you do, DH,freestyle,XC ???

Just mucked about mostly. Never went in a comp or anything. Used to live on a big hill with a lot of acres of bush and tracks all over it when I was a kid. Guess you'd call a lot of that downhill, because that was a lot more fun than getting back up again afterwards.

My neighbour was more serious than I was. I heared he was ranked number 2 in Australia in downhill... when I was about 12 years old or so.

As for what kind of bike... my good one... well I have no idea what company (was it a company??) made the frame, but the breaks were Sram and shifters were Shimano... or somthing... few years ago now. It had proper shock absorber thingies and everything though.

My ex who I was with at the time works for Sram in Taiwan, but she was in Australia back then.

• antrx.com full member
  • Pintara TRX-my baby

Hmm,

Taiwan Corsair:
you know how i am going to Japan, well i have been wondering, i love riding and exploring new trails etc. Would they be any good places in Japan-Tokyo??? or in Kyoto??? I can't really picture anything country looking in Japan, i don't know why, it just seems like a very city like, city. If your get what i mean. I mean DH is very global, so there must be something.
If you have any ideas places.... pls tell us  ;D

anyone....who has any ideas of any places in JAPAN pls tell me.... :)

Bluey

Offline Taiwan Corsair

• antrx.com full member
Hmm... well 'country' in Japan usually refers to land with rice fields between the houses. Each rice field is about as big as a large suburban block of land. I've heared Hokkaido has some natural areas.

There was one place I went though. I'll tell the story:

One day I decided I wanted to have an adventure. I got out my trusty all of Japan road map and spotted the nearest decent sized national park. It was a volcano called 'Bandai San' or Mt. Bandai. I threw a few things in the back seat of my Bluebird, got a full tank of ridiculously expensive petrol and started driving.

It was late afternoon when I left and it took me quite a few hours. I went by normal roades because there are tolls on all the freeways. By the time I got to the edge of the national park it was the middle of the night. I found a big park with a lot of people sleeping in their cars so I stopped there and slept in the car till the early morning light woke me. Going for a cruise around I found that I was in an area where there were fields of flowers (seriously) stretching away to the east and west, a huge lake to the south, a smaller one with bright blue water to the north east and to the north, Bandai San. Its a Volcano. Pretty big, too.

I bought a hikeing map from a local shop, drove around to a carpark up in a high saddle and climbed the mountain. It was a bloody long way. There are half a dozen trails that lead up the mountain and some stretches of them would have been suitable for mountain biking. Other bits would have been almost impossible though.

Half way uo there was a lot of bubbling mud and a smell like sulpher. There were pools of hot water depositing all kinds of minerals around the edge.

Further up, near the top, there was a woman in a small hut selling photos and making hot soup (the soup was free). I talked to her a little bit and to some hikers who had also stopped there. She pointed at a couple of other mountains and suggested I climb them and also she showed me a place on my map called 'Go shiki Numa' meaning 'Five coloured lakes' which was at the bottom of the mountain.

The view from the top was stunning.

The next day I went to see the five coloured lakes and found that to be pretty amazing too.

If you wanted to get there from Tokyo, I think there'd probly be a way with a train followed by a bus or somthing. You could probably hire a mountain bike in the town near the lake because there seem to be a lot of outdoorsy people. Its certainly a place worth going to, iether way.

• antrx.com full member
  • Pintara TRX-my baby

Wow....omg im soo gonna check that out man.....i love mountain treks they really test your skills haha. I bet the views were amazing. Lol free food! wow you don't hear that very often.
So did this lady speak fluent English or just enough to understand, or did she speak Japanese??? yeah im getting some Japanese courses atm, so by the time November comes, ill be a legend at speaking the language. Well at least i have one place to visit, that'll keep me occupied for a few days i reckon. 

Mt. Bandai here i come lol......... :D