Author Topic: In the market for a macbook pro  (Read 9696 times)

Offline chr1S

• r&d team
  • post whore
In the market for a macbook pro
« on: Apr 2, 2010, 11:17AM »
Well it seems my $2000 or so I spent 2 years ago on a laptop has been a complete waste of money, what laptop lasts 2 years? It seems that the video card failed on the motherboard, I got another one from an american ebay seller that sells these only. Hp wanted 1k for the mobo only without service fees, etc, a local store wanted 600 for the same motherboard as mine (I paid for the 8600GS option, where its 7200 Go standard)

I put the new motherboard in, booted up awesome, everything worked like it use to, etc etc, next day it died again! It died big time this time, the screen would be all over the joint and everything, anyway I'm sick of trying to diagnose it because its so random.

There is a big saga with this failure in this laptop too, huge partitions are circulating on some forums, it got to the point Nvidia admitted the GPU ran hot and would eventually fail so what did Hp do? Not do a recall because that costs money right, they offered 1 year extended warranty, so if you fall out of it, your screwed - like me!

I sat down and thought about what I'm going to do, I'll fix it, at best all I can do is maintain the temperatures to stay cool, but it's a risk. It wasn't even running hot this time and failed. When it did fail initially though, that night was a screamer. So what do I do?

I ring HP and get shit fucking support. I ring up the HP service centres and get shit support. I looked around at all my friends with Iphones/ipods and shit, everytime they have a problem, all I hear is nothing but good support from apple. Even when I search it on the net, I never seem to find a problem with support or reliability.

I will admit, I never liked mac, but that was because I'm thinking of the days in school, double period science class or something in the computer lab finishing off that assignment, with 20minutes till the end of class and some solid work done on the assignment, BANG the fucking mac gives that error that restarts and you loose your work! That is what I hated, but it seems that is gone.

Macbook pro, to me looks pimp. I like how you can run windows, so I can keep my tuning software, battery life is a joke, they go forever and support seems to be there.

I have absolutely no idea where to find one for a good price though, they want 3k for the specs i'm after but I won't be paying that.

Don't let the opinions of the average man sway you. Dream, and he thinks you're crazy. Succeed, and he thinks you're lucky. Acquire wealth, and he thinks you're greedy. Pay no attention. He simply doesn't understand.

to be fair, it wouldn't be ANTRX if we stayed on topic.

and if someone wasn't cranky at Chr1s for something he said...

Offline Mackdaddy

• antrx.com junior member
Re: In the market for a macbook pro
« Reply #1 on: Apr 2, 2010, 01:07PM »
Personally, I'm very much against spending lots of money on a performance laptop. Unless you use a laptop for gaming or 3D modelling, any laptop sold in the last few years has waaaaay more resources than you'll ever use. And with all the bells and whistles - graphics cards, 5.1 speakers, 8 megapixel webcams, card readers and gimmicky crap you never use crammed into a little laptop case...... thats here you get overheating, drama and failure.

I bought an old IBM thinkpad T40 from an auctionhouse 2 years ago. It would have been 2 years when I got it. only has like 1.4gHz Pentium M. 1gb of RAM and integrated graphics. It still retailed for about $900 at that stage but I got it second hand in great nick for $250. Thinkpads aren't the prettiest of things but there rugged as anything. All i use my laptop for is surfing the net, watching videos, emails, word, and interfacing with equiptment at work etc and the old beast easily handles it. She still does me fine to this day.

The money you save on not getting an over-the-top laptop can be spent on an over-the-top PC that will give you twice the performance for half the price. And you can upgrade the parts in a PC whereas you can't so easily with a laptop.

But hey I'm only a computer systems engineer..... :p
21TRX - sr20det flavoured TRX

Offline sxtacy

• antrx.com senior member
« Reply #2 on: Apr 2, 2010, 03:34PM »
I just got to say I have had a macbook for over 2 years, my gf has one as well for that time and a work macbook and we have not had a single problem in all that time, and I run windows on mine as well for certain programs. My old hp was a piece of crap, worked for a year and a half, my mate has it now and it is getting worse and worse, would crash all the time for no reason.

Apple products may not be the fastest or most advanced but they are very reliable. Oh yeah, only prob I have had is the dvd drive stopped reading cds, but that's not too much of a problem, and my gf's don't have that prob.

As far as speed, the new macbooks aren't that slow so unless you need the speed for video editing or something they are pretty good.
nothing.

Offline Budgie

• Dr. B Udgie - AWD FTW
  • Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12-U13
« Reply #3 on: Apr 2, 2010, 05:02PM »
I've had a Macbook (2.4ghz Core 2 Duo) for about 2 years now.  Its a department of education lease jobbie, but I've very glad I got it!

I sold my old ASUS laptop for $750 then got the macbook on the lease, which is $7 a fortnight before tax.  I run windows using VMware, sits there hibernated, boot it up when I need it.

Its been rock solid, could not recommend one more mate. However, if I had to BUY another laptop, might be a different story.
dont piss me off with your pillarless shit captain snappy wrist

Offline SAIUN

• antrx.com junkie
  • ~(> ^_^)>
« Reply #4 on: Apr 5, 2010, 07:13AM »
Lenovo if you want bulletproof reliability.

Panasonic Toughbook if you literally want it to be bulletproof.
Current mods:
ANTRX.com KA24E Stage 2 ECU chip (5kW)
ANTRX.com sticker (30kW) ;D

... that's about all.

Offline chr1S

• r&d team
  • post whore
« Reply #5 on: Apr 5, 2010, 03:02PM »
I've begin to think about Dell as well.
Don't let the opinions of the average man sway you. Dream, and he thinks you're crazy. Succeed, and he thinks you're lucky. Acquire wealth, and he thinks you're greedy. Pay no attention. He simply doesn't understand.

Offline BEEFY_1600

• antrx.com junkie
  • 1968 Datsun 1600 FJ20ET GTX3076R
« Reply #6 on: Apr 5, 2010, 10:26PM »
Lenovo if you want bulletproof reliability.

Would have to agree i have lenovo Think Pad been awesome not one problem for over 3 years now. Had 2 Dell's 1st one died after 13months and second one was garbage out of the box 2 motherboards later under warranty i had enough and i sold it on ebay.

And got levono and couldn't be happier !

Offline chr1S

• r&d team
  • post whore
« Reply #7 on: Apr 5, 2010, 11:23PM »
^ Interesting...

More opinions :).

My laptops are pretty much desktop replacements. I need to do cadwork, ecu programming, do some graphic work for the website, etc on them. Most laptops nowdays should be able to handle this though.

Offline chr1S

• r&d team
  • post whore
« Reply #8 on: Apr 15, 2010, 01:43AM »
Ok, mac is out of my budget for the moment.

Dell have 3 years warranty with their items. I'm stuck though.

The Studio 15 and the Studio 15 XPS. For some reason you can run a better video card in the basemodel but not the XPS and be cheaper?

Anyone have any input on these model Dell laptops?

Offline Jecks

• antrx.com pit crew
  • Global Moderator
  • post whore
    • antrx.com
« Reply #9 on: Apr 15, 2010, 02:58PM »
for 2k,you could buy a mid to top of the line toshiba notebook.
ive owned 3 laptops, all toshiba, never had a problem...
I'm sick of my knob going all floppy and loose in my hand  :P 
I've been on probation for 21 years, can't make a decision without consulting the wife first  ::)

Offline pedro666

• post whore
  • VET NEO VVL is how I roll...
« Reply #10 on: Apr 15, 2010, 06:06PM »
i agree with mac daddy, cooling has always been an issue with any machine, even the small case desktops. i do thoroughly recommend one with a solid state drive, and led screen. most gpu's now run on smaller die and run cooler and use less power. Toshiba's are also definitely worth a look(inventors of the laptop). you will find 1.5k will get you sorted for everyday crap.
the words "race car" spelled backward still spell "race car"? 

skype_shannan801

Offline noss

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • great scott!
    • antrx
« Reply #11 on: Apr 16, 2010, 01:35PM »
i have a dell xps laptop (13") and love it. a lot of people say shit like 'friends dont let friends buy dell' and 'only idiots buy from oems' but with laptops, what are your choices? thats right, oems.

i have used hp, toshiba, asus, dell and acer laptops, i have liked the dells the most as far as price/components/warranty goes.

i wouldnt mind an alienware m11x, but thats another story lol.

as far as ssd's go. i'm not sure i could warrant the cost at the moment. the $/gb is quite exxy on an ssd. i recently upgraded my xps to run a 320gb wd scorpio 7200rpm hdd with 16mb cache. i purchased it after reading a few reviews/benchmarks that put performance within 5-10% of intel and g.skill ssd drives, but for $90, it was a much more sensible purchase.

i also upgraded to win7 64 and 4gb of ram and the machine runs so much better.. (i use it for 3d modelling and the occasional game) battery life with win7 has increased to 4hrs on the small battery, 6hrs on the 9 cell. certainly can't complain with that.. unfortunately puts my purchase of an m11x way off.

after dell, my next preferred brand is asus. but ultimately it depends on what kit is in the machine and for what price as to what i'd buy.

http://polyfedelicio.us/imgs/ - free image hosting for whatever you like

Offline chr1S

• r&d team
  • post whore
« Reply #12 on: Apr 16, 2010, 09:34PM »
Thanks for your input Ryan. Does the XPS look alot better than the basic studio series? I managed to see a studio 15 in action yesterday and it came across a little tacky to me. I had another look last night and managed to come across the HP Probook. I know I said I will never touch HP again, but I can get 3 years with HP, or even 5 years. Friend of mine in IT says I just got unlucky with my HP and thats a fact of life I either need to accept or ignore thus carry on badmouthing HP.

The HP Probook is on par with the XPS series and about $400 cheaper. $1500 with 3 years warranty.

Offline noss

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • great scott!
    • antrx
« Reply #13 on: Apr 19, 2010, 02:49PM »
i have the m1330 which is the model before the studio's came out. on my lunch hours though i often wander around the city looking at shit i don't need to buy lol.. laptops are one of the things i look at.

jb actually has a studio 15 and a studio xps 15 side by side at the moment. they both appear to be in the same basic chassis, the keyboards feel identical, i couldn't really tell much a difference between the two laptops to be honest. the studio however is on special, so maybe wander into a jb that stocks dell and try get a deal.

the one they had on display was

2.53ghz core 2
4gb ram
500gb hdd
1gb ati radeon 4570

on special for $1097 end of season stock clearance

the plain studio is supposed to be a trendy inspiron.. basically an inspiron in a xps clothing, targeted to young trendy kiddies without a fat wad of cash to blow on the xps. looking at the specs above though, i can't see a reason why not to buy the regular studio. i actually find it quite confusing and maybe dell should offer only the studio and alienware, ditching xps and inspiron?

the only laptop manufacturer i can think to stay away from is acer. my little brother has a current model acer and i don't like it at all. hp, toshiba, dell & asus are all good options. if you can get the hp spec'd similar to the xps for cheaper, i don't see why you should pass it up.

Offline chr1S

• r&d team
  • post whore
« Reply #14 on: Apr 19, 2010, 03:39PM »
Damn that's pretty cheap.

Yeah I think Dell didn't look into the studio/XPS options as they overlap each other by far with the lower spec model have options to exceed the XPS lol? Anyway!

My girlfriend is seeing what she can do for me in terms of an apple, i'm just waiting to hear back. If nothing eventuates from that the HP probook being cheaper than the studio with a full keypad on the right side does look pretty intimidating at the moment.

I prefer the simple look, I don't really like the fingerprint magnet style laptops, unfortunately, the HP and Dell both feature these.

I'd put more effort into laptop searching but uni is so damn demanding right now.

I'm sure I'll find something else and be posting it here shortly  :D

Needless to say, for sub 1500, some really powerful machines can be had hey!

Offline pedro666

• post whore
« Reply #15 on: Apr 19, 2010, 05:59PM »
the only laptop manufacturer i can think to stay away from is acer. my little brother has a current model acer and i don't like it at all. hp, toshiba, dell & asus are all good options. if you can get the hp spec'd similar to the xps for cheaper, i don't see why you should pass it up.

agreed , and you would have change from the 3K to throw in a ssd :P
 if you go 17" you get 2 drive bays ;) a 64gb ssd in one and 7200 500 in the other. ::)

skype_shannan801

Offline chr1S

• r&d team
  • post whore
« Reply #16 on: Apr 19, 2010, 09:21PM »
Nah don't want SSD or 17" this time, the 17" got quite awkward in the car for tuning and was abit much, good for browsing the net and general shit, but its abit bulky tbh.

I think 7200 will be fine

Offline noss

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • great scott!
    • antrx
« Reply #17 on: Apr 20, 2010, 10:01AM »
friends that have asked me to recommend them 17" laptops have been nothing but unhappy. they complain about the size, the weight and the overall non-portability of them.

obviously different things suit different people, but my friend's eyes are bigger than their stomachs so to speak.

one thing to keep in mind chris, pretty much every laptop manufacturer will throw in a 5,400rpm drive if they don't specify otherwise. a lot will also put in slower ram than the bus can handle. upgrading the hdd and ram to as fast as you can certainly makes a noticeable difference. tbh, i was dissapointed with my xps when i got it, it didn't live up to expectations by a long shot, it was only recently that i did the hdd & ram upgrade and it runs like i expected it to from the beginning.

Offline chr1S

• r&d team
  • post whore
« Reply #18 on: Apr 21, 2010, 12:59AM »
I noticed that with the dells, they have 5400's as the base, sneaky pricks heh.

The wait is agonising to hear back from Apple about the macbook.

Offline noss

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • great scott!
    • antrx
« Reply #19 on: Apr 21, 2010, 12:31PM »
dell have picked up their act lately though. on all xps machines they specifiy that they use 7,200rpm hdd's or ssd's and they use 1066mhz ram which is what the montevina platform runs at max. be wary on the non xps machines though.

if you buy a machine that has lower spec'd gear, just get a base model one, spec it up with a led screen and the processor you want and then buy you're own hdd and ram.

looking at the studio range though, they have some pretty nice kit for the money.

Offline Budgie

• Dr. B Udgie - AWD FTW
  • Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12-U13
« Reply #20 on: Apr 21, 2010, 02:09PM »
Urq just bought an alienware laptop, I will get him to post up his 10c worth (his XPS dell died, motherboard).

Offline noss

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • great scott!
    • antrx
« Reply #21 on: Apr 21, 2010, 07:27PM »
yeh he had the same as me, m1330. its a common problem in that particular model with the nvidia 8400gs cause dell decided to use a sponge thing as the medium between the gpu and the heat pipe.

they did a non advertised extended warranty pertaining only to that fault. so they didnt tell anyone, but if your m1330 died within 3yrs of purchase due to heat issues with the video card they replaced the motherboard free of charge. due to the size of the laptop, to fit dedicated graphics in the machine it was actually embedded into the motherboard, hence motherboard failure.

i have done a copper mod with mine, simply a 14x14x1.6mm piece of polished copper with coolermaster ice fusion thermal goo to replace the sponge. after the curing time, the idle temperature of the gpu is now 53-55c where it used to be 61-63c and under full load playing games its 71c where it used to hit 83-ish.

apparently mine was one of the better models, as the first release of the m1330 the gpu hit 100 degrees quite often, leading to the failure. i'd rather be safe than sorry, so copper mod it was.

copper mod guide:
http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=268081
« Last Edit: Apr 22, 2010, 09:30AM by noss »

Offline Budgie

• Dr. B Udgie - AWD FTW
  • Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12-U13
« Reply #22 on: Apr 21, 2010, 08:50PM »
Hummm... I will send him this thread noss, thanks for the tip.

Offline chr1S

• r&d team
  • post whore
« Reply #23 on: Apr 22, 2010, 11:33AM »
MAN

If I saw that copper mod years ago I probably wouldn't have this problem with my HP! It uses the 8600 and is also embedded onto the MB!

Offline pedro666

• post whore
« Reply #24 on: Apr 22, 2010, 12:47PM »

here is some reliability figures .you may find this useful, maybe not.

http://www.squaretrade.com/pages/laptop-reliability-1109/

skype_shannan801

Offline noss

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • great scott!
    • antrx
« Reply #25 on: Apr 22, 2010, 01:23PM »
MAN

If I saw that copper mod years ago I probably wouldn't have this problem with my HP! It uses the 8600 and is also embedded onto the MB!

there was also an issue with the manufacturing of some 8 series nvidia chips for laptops where the chip would fry/degrade/break or something along those lines because nvidia used a cheap material in the manufacturing process. nvidia quickly changed the material to something more reliable, but i don't think they offered any compensation for damaged laptops.

Hummm... I will send him this thread noss, thanks for the tip.

i just checked, it was 1yr extended, so a total of 2yr warranty from purchase, i thought it was an additional 2yrs.

Offline Rake

• vrrrmm sssssh pstch
  • antrx cruise monkey
  • post whore
  • quack
    • http://www.tldr.com.au
« Reply #26 on: Apr 30, 2010, 05:29PM »
<3 macs

You always get people going HURR BUT THIS PC ONE IS CHEAPER, you compare the specs and it becomes clear why. Even if they appear the same (Similar screens, memory etc) often they're inferior - lower pixel count, lower bus speeds, etc.

Unless you're speccing them up as a custom order, the days of macs being 'more expensive' are gone. People who say that I bet last looked at the price of a Mac 10 years ago.

Build quality and support is second to none. Sure you'll hear examples of things going wrong, but they're one in a million. HP's and shit no doubt die all the time, so of course noone bothers to broadcast about it.

I was tasked with fixing up a mates HP laptop. It had some weird issues so I thought a BIOS update would be a worthy idea. I used the only tools HP made available, and reluctantly I performed it. "Congratulations! Your BIOS has been updated successfully. Please restart now kthnx". Whew. That's a relief..... Until it didn't boot after that. HP have their merits - good laser printers and network switches. But their consumer stuff is fucking rubbish.

Apple sell some refurbished stuff on their site sometimes. You can get some good deals that way. They're usually ELF or DOA, the broken bits replaced with new parts then sold off cheap. So it's basically a brand new computer anyway, and you can still get full warranty. They also sometimes sell off old stock cheap when new models are released. Knowing Apple people helps for discounts too :)
« Last Edit: Apr 30, 2010, 05:32PM by Rake »

Offline chr1S

• r&d team
  • post whore
« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2010, 12:08AM »
Hmm..

HP Probook has popped up again. HP admitting that the new series can handle CAD fine is a major bonus.

I will call MSY soon and see what deal they can do for me with 3 years warranty.

Offline noss

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • great scott!
    • antrx
« Reply #28 on: May 14, 2010, 09:52AM »
lol wtf? they're admitting it can handle cad? anything can that has the right hardware can. core2 a few gb of 800mhz or faster ram, quick hdd. as i said my few year old dell which is core 2 2.2, 4gb 800mhz ram, 7200rpm drive and i was using it for 3d modeling.

Offline chr1S

• r&d team
  • post whore
« Reply #29 on: May 14, 2010, 11:16PM »
I know that much, alot of [language filter smackdown]gots on the forum though tend to say "x" setup won't handle the CAD requirements, yet a computer made 2years ago runs it fine and I know it does. Maybe they are those tossers who can't live without uv reactive dye in their water cooling setups.