Author Topic: Any tips??  (Read 4593 times)

Offline Fusion U12

• antrx.com full member
Any tips??
« on: May 19, 2006, 09:52PM »
Im going for my P plates on the 30th of may so just under 2 weeks away and ive got word from a few blokes that i know of whom have just got them have said the instructors are very hard on marking...and the slightest mistake will get you a fail

How'd you guys go when you got your p's...anyone of use fail 1st time?? Any good tips you can give me when im with the instructor?

Offline bigpud2012

• "I drive a pissweak auto"
  • post whore
    • RSI - Adelade Sports Imagery - Clipsal 500 Classic Adelaide etc
Re: Any tips??
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2006, 09:58PM »
got my P's first go.

best bet is to check your mirrors every 5 seconds.

ie all mirors and as long as you can do the right procedure before you indicate your fine ;)

Offline rathies

• I may be going to hell but I'm going in a 4BY
  • post whore
  • Patrol of Doom coming soon
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2006, 10:12PM »
my advice:
-Watch out for merging lanes, not all of them have signs. also watch out for asians in vans at merging lanes. That is how I failed my first test in under a minute.
-Depending which state you are in you might be required to do heaps of drive way turning around techniques. Even if you can't see jackshit just turn your head and pretend you can.
-They always like you to look over your shoulder and indicate when pulling away from the side of the road.
-accelerate really slow through a roundabout so you don't redline 1st gear. I lost points because the car sounded like death and I was scared I'd lose points for taking my hand off the wheel.
- always keep left when driving through an obviously quiet carpark. my test guy pointed it out but was nice enough to let it slide.
Previous rides: KA24ET TRX,  2000 GUII Patrol 4.2 td, AntrxWA whore TRX owner 4/5, 99 Landrover Discovery TD5
Current Ride(s):  91 GQ Patrol ST-3 RB25DET Converted :)

Offline Fusion U12

• antrx.com full member
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2006, 10:30PM »
thank's,

Im in NSW so yeah anymore pointers from anyone else would be great.

Offline chr1S

• r&d team
  • post whore
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2006, 10:38PM »
being in nsw as so are you, my instructor tells me the exam will consist of;

3 point turn
kerbside stop (proper shutdown procedure)
hillstart
general driving
a few tricks (like them trying to tell you to turn left at a intersection where "no left turn" is clearly labelled)
reverse park
there is another i think, i might be wrong..

but a few tips i'd say.. even though im going for mine in 4months :p

- rememeber MISS technique before changing lane (M-mirrors I-indicator on S-shoulder S- steer)
- constantly check your mirrors
- remember to always look over your shoulder when moving more than a metre to the left or right and indicate.
- stop at stop signs for 3 seconds
- make sure you make all in-car adjustments before you take off :P (you WILL be failed if you adjust your rear view mirror or anything when he ask's you,  "are you ready to go?" and you respond yes before doing so)
- keep just under the speed limit (it can look like your speeding from their angle even if your needle is dead smack on 50)
- be weary of school zones
- look both ways at all times (even in roundabouts :P)
- remember when doing a 3 point turn there is 5 steps involved and you MUST do all 5 or you loose points (Pull over (proper procedure), indicate, check shoulders/mirrors/oncoming traffic, make the turn, check mirrors, shoulders, rear viewmirror, select the right gear, use the handbrake if needed, only move back until your rear of the car is in the middle of the road, check mirrors, etc again, then take off and CHECK your rear view mirror)

i don't know lol, just be cautious and don't drive too slow/fast or be too nervous (it'll show ;)) :).

good luck, hope to see you on the cruise...

Don't let the opinions of the average man sway you. Dream, and he thinks you're crazy. Succeed, and he thinks you're lucky. Acquire wealth, and he thinks you're greedy. Pay no attention. He simply doesn't understand.

to be fair, it wouldn't be ANTRX if we stayed on topic.

and if someone wasn't cranky at Chr1s for something he said...

Offline rathies

• post whore
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2006, 10:50PM »
i got a better tip. goto WA for your test.
Previous rides: KA24ET TRX,  2000 GUII Patrol 4.2 td, AntrxWA whore TRX owner 4/5, 99 Landrover Discovery TD5

Offline Fusion U12

• antrx.com full member
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2006, 10:52PM »
Thanks chr1S

i should have all that covered (hopefully).Ive been told when doing a 3 point turn you must not pull into a driveway (if its possible) you've got to keep it on the roadway is this correct??

Offline chr1S

• r&d team
  • post whore
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2006, 10:54PM »
im not sure, but dont go in the driveway anyway  :)
Don't let the opinions of the average man sway you. Dream, and he thinks you're crazy. Succeed, and he thinks you're lucky. Acquire wealth, and he thinks you're greedy. Pay no attention. He simply doesn't understand.

Offline Fusion U12

• antrx.com full member
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2006, 11:02PM »
oh ok no worries

Thanks for your help chr1S much appreciated...from what ive heard from these other guys they said pretty much exactly what you said. You've explained in more detail though so that must pretty much sum up the P's test....now time to start perfecting the requirements!

thanks for ya help boyz...im open for more advice if anyone feels like having a say

Offline bigpud2012

• post whore
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2006, 11:07PM »
why dotn you jsut do the log-book its easier imo

Offline chr1S

• r&d team
  • post whore
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2006, 11:21PM »
what ??

we have to fill in a log book of 50hours, THEN we have a road test to see if we are capable of being a competent driver, don't tell me in SA you can eitehr have a test of do a certain amount of hours...

Offline Sticky

• Bad Luck Magnet
  • qld local moderator
  • post whore
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2006, 12:02AM »
all i can say is watch your speed, i know a heap of people whom have failed due to speeding, im talking 5kmh+.

what ??

we have to fill in a log book of 50hours, THEN we have a road test to see if we are capable of being a competent driver, don't tell me in SA you can eitehr have a test of do a certain amount of hours...

in qld, we have to hold our L plates for a minimum of 6 months, then we can go for the pratical test, which can vary from 15 - 40 mins, most of the examiners are very hard on marking

The best engine in the world is the vagina, it takes any size piston, its self lubricating, starts with 1 finger, and every 4 weeks does its own oil change. It's just a pity the management system is so f**king temperamental.

The Human Torch was denied a bank loan

Offline SMI7HY

• antrx.com junkie
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2006, 12:10AM »
sounds like nsw has the most strict licensing laws....we suck

12 months on L's + 50 hours log book
12 months on red p's &
24 months on greens?

so that makes minimum age to get a full licence 20 years old      :'(

Offline bigpud2012

• post whore
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2006, 12:25AM »
um, you have to have a min of 2 lesson from a qualified driving instructer which ususally equates to around say 2 hours.

Then you can sit the test like that.

might have chnaged now is SA with all these new rules of P1 P2 lisence.

meh, i dotn ahve to worry about that ;)

Offline Jono

• The Wise Man
  • Global Moderator
  • post whore
  • memory boy!
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2006, 02:14AM »
sounds like nsw has the most strict licensing laws....we suck

12 months on L's + 50 hours log book
12 months on red p's &
24 months on greens?

so that makes minimum age to get a full licence 20 years old      :'(

In Qld you can get your L's at 16 and 6 months, you have to hold them for 6 months unless you need your licence for work, and you can't go for your P's until you're 17. We don't have to wear P plates, don't have any speed restrictions, the only difference is Provisional licence holders get 4 points instead of 12, but the points regenerate after 1 year instead of 3. Oh and your BAC needs to be 0.000 instead of 0.05.

If you get your licence before you turn 20 you have your P's for 3 years, then automatically go to your opens, 20-25 (i think) you hold your P's for 2 years, 25+ is one year.

Minimum age for a full open licence is therefore 20 years. But somehow Qld Transport stuffed up and one of my mates only had one year on his P's, he got his full open licence a fortnight after he turned 18.
#1 Post Wh0re
pringles was here!

Offline vector

• antrx.com junkie
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2006, 06:15PM »
why dont you just learn to drive instead of learning to pass?, if your a competent driver you wont need to be told what to do it should all just come to you just read what signals are required and you cant go wrong  :)
"Until the philosophy which hold one race superior and another inferior is finally discredited and abandoned...WAR! So that is prophecy, and everyone know that is truth. And it came out of the mouth of Rastafari"

Offline chr1S

• r&d team
  • post whore
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2006, 06:28PM »
i saw this  yesterday....

look at the back of your logbook.

Offline Fusion U12

• antrx.com full member
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2006, 07:17PM »
why dont you just learn to drive instead of learning to pass?, if your a competent driver you wont need to be told what to do it should all just come to you just read what signals are required and you cant go wrong  :)

Its the little minor things that can get you a fail in the end so i was just asking people whom have got there P's and can give me a few little tips on what to watch out for.

Offline Rake

• vrrrmm sssssh pstch
  • antrx cruise monkey
  • post whore
  • quack
    • http://www.tldr.com.au
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2006, 01:43AM »
I havn't read the thread but I'll throw in my tips anyway.

- Yes always scan the road by checking mirrors etc, but remember
 - If doing any manuveur (U turn, lane change, etc) ALWAYS turn and look, don't just use mirrors!
 - Make everything OBVIOUS. If the testing officer didn't see you do something, s/he may well assume you didn't do whatever it is you should've.
 - Know the area. This really helps when it comes to complex things, for example, they may say to go straight ahead at the next set of lights, but one of the 2 lanes of the road you are on is a right-hand-turn only lane. If you know to get into the left lane to go straight without getting stuck behind traffic and having to stop, and combat with traffic to change lanes, it looks a lot better for you
 - Beware of tricks! They might say "Turn right here", but can you turn right? There might be a "NO RIGHT TURN" sign, or the road might be one way, or something that prevents you doing it legally. So, simply tell them so, that you can't perform that because it would be disobeying signs and rules.
 - Be careful of any and all signs really.. Speed limits, corner limits, school zones, bla bla. Also be careful around road works too!
 - Beware hidden signs, RTA's like to hide stop signs at carpark exits for example. Run that and you fail the test within a minute!
 - Make sure your car is roadworthy for the test! That all lights work, horn, brakes are good, etc. Try and use a nice, sensible car. Have your L plates on too - you're not on your P's until you pass the test! And even having a well presented (clean) car could work to your advantage.
 - Before you even start test, check all your mirrors etc. Do things in correct order (I forget what RTA say to do, but for example it's like, when stopping, handbrake up, car off, car in gear or something .. double check this!) Again, make it obvious.
 - Pray you get a good instructor
 - Hope you've booked the test at a time of day where it's kindof quiet, not during heavy traffic or such.
 - Be friendly to the testing person. I dunno, maybe chat to them a bit, if you can drive OK doing that it shows your a little more competant, and you might distract them a little too. Also, if you present a good attitude, they might favour you, instead of thinking "Geez i don't want to give this guy a licence, I can tell he's going to do stupid stuff".
 - Yeah have all your paperwork legit and complete, saves headache for everyone.
 - Relax! If you're stressing out, you'll fuckup somewhere.
 - When indicating, you're supposed to indicate at least 30metres before turning etc. One tip is that street lamps / power poles / the like are usually spaced out apart that much, which can help you guage distances.
 - Don't rush! Be gentle accelerating, cornering, gearing, braking, etc.
 - Reacting properly in an emergency situation and successfully avoiding things (Eg, not hitting a kid who runs out from between cars) scores you bonus points! But if you hit em, you loose. Quite a gamble, so be extra cautious, juuussst in case.
 - Probably a good idea to brush up on your road rules.
 - If the area is hilly, brush up on your hill starts, as they'll most likely test you out on this too if they can.
 - 'Push-Pull' method for steering rather than "Hand over hand" is preferred, it's apparently safer.

Probably more but thats all I can think of.

Dont fret if you fail, I failed my first go too. The good thing is they'll tell you where you went wrong and you can brush up for your next test. Also the first time is really quite daunting, I know I was nervous as hell, but the second time knowing full well what to expect I nailed it :)
« Last Edit: May 28, 2006, 01:45AM by Rake »

Offline Fusion U12

• antrx.com full member
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2006, 08:52PM »
Thanks rake for ya input much appreciated

Offline Jono

• The Wise Man
  • Global Moderator
  • post whore
  • memory boy!
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2006, 09:07PM »
Can I emphasise the 'relax' bit? The test is really just a normal short drive, there's no need to be nervous. ;)
#1 Post Wh0re
pringles was here!

Offline rathies

• post whore
« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2006, 09:11PM »
Can I emphasise the 'relax' bit? The test is really just a normal short drive, there's no need to be nervous. ;)

exactly right jono. You must make sure that you have had enough lessons and you can walk into the test knowing you can do whatever the instructor asks of you. I walked into my second test with that attitude and the test was over with in under 15 mins.

Offline meganL

• antrx.com junior member
  • Canadian Club owner 12yr only!!!
« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2006, 12:16PM »
hey i failed first go...  :(

my problem was not indicating OFF the round about so make sure you do that.

as well as do the 5-10km speed limit in the actual rta or your failed before you even leave.
When going there park in reverse some times its easier to get out of the rta so you dont stuff up before your out.

thats about it.. :)

goodluck.

Offline Rake

• vrrrmm sssssh pstch
  • antrx cruise monkey
  • post whore
  • quack
    • http://www.tldr.com.au
« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2006, 02:14PM »
hey i failed first go...  :(

my problem was not indicating OFF the round about so make sure you do that.

Yeah, gotta drive how the RTA want you to drive. When you get your P's, then you can go back to driving the normal, sensible, unwritten ways that people do :)

Offline Resin

• i have 5 studs
  • nsw local moderator
  • post whore
    • Gardening Forum
« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2006, 03:09PM »
getting ur licence in nsw has certainly changed alot since i got mine ............no logbook, i passed first time, year on reds and then full licence .....so easy........

and yea the test is pretty much like just a normal instructing lesson ....without the instructing i suppose ........fairly easy .......saty calm ...easier said than done ! and good luck

Offline hrmmmm

• antrx.com junkie
« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2006, 04:52PM »
I'm in NSW and got my red p's first go.

I'm in NSW and on my red P's.
My tips are:
*ALWAYS check your mirrors and your blind spot.
*When pulling out from the kerb after a reverse park and complete shutdown, turn your indicator on BEFORE you put the car in gear. (indicator must be on for min 5 secs so I'm told).
*Before comencing the test makesure all lights work.
*Before pulling out from the carspace at the RTA makesure the driving assessor is wearing their seat belt.(mine didn't).
*If you can reverse your car into the carspace at the RTA this will make starting the test and finishing the test easier and less stressfull.
*Most importantly just RELAX and you will do fine, also you could try to start a conversation with your assessor this will relax you and they might'n pick up on any little mistakes you might make.