Author Topic: Polish Problems  (Read 4988 times)

Offline trxboi1987

• antrx.com junior member
  • Pimp Whoring in a TRX.....Baby!
Polish Problems
« on: Jan 19, 2008, 11:31PM »
hey guys i am having problems wit the polish i use on my trx. It gives it a good shine, but then in a couple of days it turns the paint white and i cant remove it. i dont know what sort i am suppose to use that doesnt leave my red glaze/cherry red paint work looking like it has some sort of white skin disease.

hope you guys can help.

cheers,

Luke

Offline greenbird

• antrx.com senior member
Re: Polish Problems
« Reply #1 on: Jan 20, 2008, 08:27AM »
You can start by telling us what brand and type of polish you are using to start with......

I use Meguiars 'Wet Look Polymer Sealant' on my cars and it works a treat.

Dan.
93 U13 Bluebird
5 spd
Finer Filter, Hi-Flow cat & 2.25" exhaust
17X7 Concept 5 wheels
2 inch lowered King Springs

Offline trxboi1987

• Pimp Whoring in a TRX.....Baby!
« Reply #2 on: Jan 20, 2008, 10:32AM »
it was kitten liquid cut and polish. wouldi t be cause it has a synthetic compound in it? and isnt appropriate for older cars?

Offline Vithy

• post whore
« Reply #3 on: Jan 20, 2008, 02:15PM »
i use mag next gen stuff on my car it wrks really well

so well it helps to show off all the blemishes my paint has lol like the brake fluid mark i left :(

stange what ur polish is doing never herd of that happening before...

mate polished his car and the polish left scratches all over his car and white crap but that was tehre after he polish not a few days later
"Noss is God"

Offline greenbird

• antrx.com senior member
« Reply #4 on: Jan 20, 2008, 04:36PM »
That's funny, i use the same stuff, Kitten liquid cut and polish on our cars to remove blemishes (before going over it with the meguairs) and i have never had an problem with it.
Just make sure you properly buff away any residue afterwards and you should have no issues.
93 U13 Bluebird
5 spd
Finer Filter, Hi-Flow cat & 2.25" exhaust
17X7 Concept 5 wheels
2 inch lowered King Springs

Offline nokey

• ÀnTrX™
« Reply #5 on: Jan 21, 2008, 08:42PM »
yer i agree if its not really bad paint and theres no marks you shouldent have to cut it back just use something like nufinish,or if you dont like the white residue on mouldings and that. use turtle wax ice its clear like water and Does Not go white or leave shit that's porus full of polish.really good shine bad point its $40 for a small bottle but yer theres an up side,watever works best on your car.i had stained paint from my shitty car wash in town. i put the tyre and engine cleaner on my hot bonnent by mistake and it staind red,so i went and bought a $30 buffer from supercheap, a good kenco buffer pad, and i just use nu finish and it come up like new.so new it blinds you in the sun. oh and obviousley you dont do it in the sun you probley know that,but my neighbour  obviousley does not anyway its a laugh watching him do it
« Last Edit: Jan 21, 2008, 08:46PM by nokey »
!@nissan@!
1990 pintara
1996 toyota supra
1st year mechanic

Offline hrmmmm

• antrx.com junkie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 22, 2008, 07:02AM »
oh and obviousley you dont do it in the sun you probley know that,but my neighbour  obviousley does not anyway its a laugh watching him do it

Polishing cars in the sun is a urban myth, if you use a cheaper polish like kitten,repo etc etc, it will be harder to buff of in the sun, if you use superior polish like AUTOGLYM SUPER RESIN POLISH (retails for around $60 for a ltr) it will not dry in the sun and can be buffed off really easily, also you can leave it on the car for up to 24 hrs and it will still buff off as easily as it would as if it was only on there for 10mins. 

TRXBOI, you shouldn't have any problem with your polish, so long as it is not kitten no 2, kitten no 1 should be fine, maybe before you polish use a paint cleaner to remove anything that might react with the polish ( this is unlikely, in two yrs of selling trade qaulity polish to automotive detailers I have never heard of it happening), then polish your car and then use a wax to protect your car. Most people I know don't wax their car, it is no good just polishing your car, all that does is make it smooth and shiny,wax will protect the paint when it rains as polish washes off after a wash or two and it puts a harder coating on the paint to protect from stonechips, also you only polish a car every 6 weeks generally ( I polish my car every 4), so every fortnight apply wax i,e: polish, 2 weeks later wax, 2 weeks later wax then in another 2 weeks polish and repeat the process for as long as you wish, this will keep your car looking better for longer.   

Offline rathies

• I may be going to hell but I'm going in a 4BY
  • post whore
  • Patrol of Doom coming soon
« Reply #7 on: Jan 22, 2008, 07:39AM »
i use mag next gen stuff on my car it wrks really well

so well it helps to show off all the blemishes my paint has lol like the brake fluid mark i left :(
Amen to both, Maguiers ftw.

also you only polish a car every 6 weeks generally ( I polish my car every 4), so every fortnight apply wax i,e: polish, 2 weeks later wax, 2 weeks later wax then in another 2 weeks polish and repeat the process for as long as you wish, this will keep your car looking better for longer.   
i beg to differ..too much work lol. Just cut n polish to get it shiny, wax to keep it shiny and wash it with a good soap, I find mothers (from supercrap) works really well. if the shine goes away then wax again. Cut and polish all the time will eventually get your paint down to primer if you use it enough.

If your paint is super duper oxidized and has the tendency to go chalky after a few days then a high speed buff with the next gen wax will do the job for you.

Previous rides: KA24ET TRX,  2000 GUII Patrol 4.2 td, AntrxWA whore TRX owner 4/5, 99 Landrover Discovery TD5
Current Ride(s):  91 GQ Patrol ST-3 RB25DET Converted :)

Offline hrmmmm

• antrx.com junkie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 22, 2008, 02:02PM »
If you use wax you will have to polish or cut 'n' polish your car less often, also waxing a car is so much easier than polishing a car, it also makes the shine last longer and like I said, it puts a harder coating on the paint therefore making it more resiliant to rock chips (yes rock chips, where I live we don't have stones only rocks)

Offline nokey

• ÀnTrX™
« Reply #9 on: Jan 22, 2008, 08:14PM »
Polishing cars in the sun is a urban myth, if you use a cheaper polish like kitten,repo etc etc, it will be harder to buff of in the sun, if you use superior polish like AUTOGLYM SUPER RESIN POLISH (retails for around $60 for a ltr) it will not dry in the sun and can be buffed off really easily, also you can leave it on the car for up to 24 hrs and it will still buff off as easily as it would as if it was only on there for 10mins. 

Hey i was just going off what ive seen.and what ive been told by my dad a panelbeater since he was 15,but i agree with the cut and polish ive never had to do mine i only polish and wax so it beads the rain off and crap.but when you do it for a living i totally agree with you.as you  said shit polish shit glow and waste of money. ;)
!@nissan@!
1990 pintara
1996 toyota supra
1st year mechanic

Offline sportman

« Reply #10 on: Mar 5, 2008, 12:43PM »
Try Mothers poly glaze we have been using this on show cars for years easy to put on and wipe off.
First i would get all the old crap off your car using prepsol (wax and grease remover) and start again.

Do not polish in circular motion as this leaves swirl marks.

Polish in straight lines down the length of the panels and wipe off in same direction. You will be amazed what a difference using the correct technique makes.