Author Topic: Pintara Problems  (Read 3325 times)

Offline Bluprint

• antrx.com full member
  • 1990 Nissan R31 Series 3 Skyline Silhouette
    • Cruise Pics
Pintara Problems
« on: Nov 16, 2002, 05:49AM »
Hey fellas, I'm a member of the R31 Skyline Club, but my parents own a white '90 auto TR-X, which has a bit (big bit) of an issue, so I thought this would be the best place to come.

What's going wrong is that a lot of the time it will not start. You can turn the key and the starter tries it's very hardest but she will still not start. It can be started by pumping the shiza out of the accelerator and after about 10 seconds it *might* start (I know, pumping the accelerator isn't healthy). It's as if the car was carbied and the engine got flooded. If the car's been sitting for ages then there's a better chance of it starting. When the car does start, it fires out a cloud of black smoke (unburnt fuel) like you've never seen in your life. It also blows a little black smoke at all times when driving.
When you do try to drive the car, it will cut out as soon as you give it a bit of the accelerator. The only way you can get it moving is to let the car move forward of it's own accord and then apply the accelerator very, Very, VERY slowly. And even then it's a gamble. The bloody thing's stopped so many times at the traffic lights it's just ridiculous.
This problem has been occuring on and off for the past year or so, but recently it's gotten really bad.
Now the car's been regularly serviced since we've owned it (2-odd years), it has $190,000km on it and everything else is perfect. Never had a problem with it. We had the injectors serviced to try and fix the problem, but that wasn't it. Same goes for replacing the sparkplugs and leads. Every mechanic we've talked to tells us to replace them again, even thought the well them that's not the friggin' problem.
I'm not a mechanic so I can only guess what's going it.

Sorry about the long post, but this is really really sh!**ing me off, and my parents.....don't ask.

Can you guys please help?

« Last Edit: Jan 1, 1970, 10:00AM by 1043326800 »

Offline SSS

• Administrator
  • post whore
Re: Pintara Problems
« Reply #1 on: Nov 16, 2002, 10:38AM »
Sounds like the ignition coil has probably sh!t itself. Has this been tested before? If not, try taking it to some one like JRS AUTOTRONICS or Performance Ignitions. JRS will probably charge you to test it, Peformance Ignitions probably won't.
If the car isn't turning over properly like you said, this is the only thing that i could think of, that it ain't getting the spark it needs.
Ignition timing is fine i presume?

Offline Nizzan

• antrx cruise monkey
  • antrx.com junkie
  • I am NOT a llama!!
« Reply #2 on: Nov 19, 2002, 03:03PM »
sssgtr is right i think, the car isnt getting the sparks it needs. so youve changed the spark plugs? Distributor Cap? Ignition coils may well be.. Perhaps you could get an authorized Nissan servicer to go through it?

Offline Bluprint

• antrx.com full member
  • 1990 Nissan R31 Series 3 Skyline Silhouette
    • Cruise Pics
« Reply #3 on: Nov 27, 2002, 07:09AM »
Thanks for you help fellas, once I told the mechanic he kinda went:
"Oh yeah.... never thought of that!"

Kinda makes you wonder about the proffesionalisim of some poeple out there