Author Topic: R31 Skyline -V- Trx  (Read 24052 times)

BlakeyBoyR

R31 Skyline -V- Trx
« on: Apr 12, 2003, 02:30PM »
  OK, Ive been looking around and taken advice off a few of you. I was wondering though, which car would have more grunt (Ie. the ability to destroy charades off the line), the skyline or the TRX ? I was under the impression that the skylines produced around 140kw and the TRX around the high 80s ? I really love the look of the TRX but if theres a huge performance difference then it will obviously influence the choice. I figured if you guys dont know then noone will

Offline SSS

• Administrator
  • post whore
Re:R31 Skyline -V- Trx
« Reply #1 on: Apr 12, 2003, 02:47PM »
Std R31's are slugs. A trx will chop them easy.

BlakeyBoyR

« Reply #2 on: Apr 12, 2003, 02:55PM »
Ahhh ... the R31 are 114kw ... not 140 :P My bad ! Ok then, so R31s cant take a TRX, suits me, I think the R31 looks crap anyway !

Offline BEEFY_1600

• antrx.com junkie
  • 1968 Datsun 1600 FJ20ET GTX3076R
« Reply #3 on: Apr 12, 2003, 03:12PM »
Not a fan of the R31 a big bit of poo which gives nissan a bad name and a trx should flog em

Offline Tim-E

• antrx cruise monkey
  • post whore
  • doof doof
« Reply #4 on: Apr 12, 2003, 04:33PM »
i think u would of been thinking of the 2.5 non-turbo engine in later model skylines.
137kW in the R32 and 142kW in the R33 (i think)

P.S. anyone know how fast a NA R33 is?
2.0L 4 -------> 3.0L 6. Does this mean a 4.0L 8 next?? or back to a 2.0L......turbo!

Offline chucky

• CRUISE MONKEY
  • post whore
  • WHERES MY STICKER?
« Reply #5 on: Apr 12, 2003, 04:34PM »
hehehehehehe in my auto ka24e, i keep up with r31s till top of 2nd, then i just cant handle it... maybe the lost gear or something, that wasnt a real race or anything though, maybe one day i'll let you know when both of us go at it seriously

but top speed theres about a 10-15km/h diff between my car and my mates.....
What do ralliart do??? make stickers???

Offline SSS

• Administrator
  • post whore
« Reply #6 on: Apr 13, 2003, 12:42PM »
P.S. anyone know how fast a NA R33 is?

They are gutless as dogshit! For the weight they have to pull around, 0-100 in 9 secs isn't uncommon, especially from the auto....

Offline Tim-E

• antrx cruise monkey
  • post whore
  • doof doof
« Reply #7 on: Apr 15, 2003, 01:24AM »

They are gutless as dogsh*t! For the weight they have to pull around, 0-100 in 9 secs isn't uncommon, especially from the auto....

the reason i ask is that a chick i know is getting a bright yellow manual one.
And i cant wait to drag her in the magna, especially as all my rates reckon i will get blown away.
my magna does a low 8 sec 0-100, so i think it will be interesting
2.0L 4 -------> 3.0L 6. Does this mean a 4.0L 8 next?? or back to a 2.0L......turbo!

Offline SKY-031

• antrx.com junior member
  • R31 Skyline Club
    • R31 Skyline club
« Reply #8 on: Apr 16, 2003, 06:02PM »
Come on guys, stop kidding yourselves.
......honestly...   ::)

I mean, I've never seen a U12 Pintara run at Calder... which more than likely means that they don't go to fast...
Yeah sure, they look good, but how much money to you need to spend on one to make it boogey?  :-[

If you are after power, it's just no contest... the R31 wins every time.
You don't need to spend a truckload of money to get it running 14 second (or lower) quarters.

Stock, if you are looking at a difference of 30kw, I still know which one I'd choose.
(Not that I'm biased ;))
I love the look of the U12.
But when it comes to power, the R31 will win hands down every time.
 ;)

Offline imaspy

• Captain Chaos
  • vic local moderator
  • post whore
  • DUN, DUN, DUUUUUUHHHN!!!!
    • A collection of some of my photography
« Reply #9 on: Apr 16, 2003, 06:09PM »
* now falling in love with R31 skyline chick as her comments bring back warm, fuzzy memories *

hehehe  :P
You have friend, I have friend. My friend go to your house, put bomb under your floor and blow you to fucking sky!

Offline SSS

• Administrator
  • post whore
« Reply #10 on: Apr 16, 2003, 06:47PM »
Come on guys, stop kidding yourselves.
......honestly...   ::)

I mean, I've never seen a U12 Pintara run at Calder... which more than likely means that they don't go to fast...
Yeah sure, they look good, but how much money to you need to spend on one to make it boogey?  :-[

If you are after power, it's just no contest... the R31 wins every time.
You don't need to spend a truckload of money to get it running 14 second (or lower) quarters.

Stock, if you are looking at a difference of 30kw, I still know which one I'd choose.
(Not that I'm biased ;))
I love the look of the U12.
But when it comes to power, the R31 will win hands down every time.
 ;)

I doubt it. A 2.4 Pintara is quicker in a straight line than a std Silhouette.
As for spending too much money...i spent probably $1200 in total doing headwork with a mild cam. I chopped 2 VN's by many car lengths a couple of weeks back.
No to mention also racing an R33 GTS-T with an exhaust, it only started pulling away (quite slowly may i add) after 90km/h.
You WILL see me down at Calder in the near future.

Offline noss

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • great scott!
    • antrx
« Reply #11 on: Apr 16, 2003, 06:52PM »
let us know when you go sssgtr, we'll make a night of it  ;D

http://polyfedelicio.us/imgs/ - free image hosting for whatever you like

Offline Bluprint

• antrx.com full member
  • 1990 Nissan R31 Series 3 Skyline Silhouette
    • Cruise Pics
« Reply #12 on: Apr 16, 2003, 07:18PM »
Which one's better?
I own a Skyline and my parents own a Pintara, which I drive quite regularly. So I reckon I may be just as well qualified to judge as anyone here.

My judgements here are restricted to my knowledge of the 2 specific cars I've driven, other cars may be different.

The Skyline is an R31 manual series 3 GX wagon. Well kept, strong engine with high km (305,000km), and a 4.11:1 diff.
The Pintara is a U12 automatic TR-X. The whole car is immaculate, strong engine with 190,000km.
So basically both are completely stock except for the Skyline's diff, which could actually be a handicap in a drag race, forcing an earlier upshift.

WHICH IS FASTER
0-100km/h = The Skyline, by about 3 car lengths. Against a manual TR-X could go either way.
0-400m = Again the Skyline continues to pull away further. Don't know against a manual TR-X.

WHICH HANDLES BETTER
The Pintara does of course, it has well tuned sports suspension & an LSD. I'd like to see against an R31 Skyline Silhouette, should be interesting, not sure out of that.

WHICH STOPS BETTER
The first time both do a hard stop, they both pull up hard, but over continuous hard stops, the Pintara holds up better. Il'l let you know what happens once the Skyline gets new discs.

There you have it, let the flaming begin.

Now.....
Posted by: beefy_trx  Posted on: Apr 12, 2003, 02:12PM  
Not a fan of the R31 a big bit of poo which gives nissan a bad name and a trx should flog em  

How do R31's give Nissan a bad name do tell me please how?

« Last Edit: Apr 16, 2003, 07:20PM by R31Wag00n »

Offline noss

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • great scott!
    • antrx
« Reply #13 on: Apr 16, 2003, 07:22PM »
The Skyline is an R31 manual series 3 GX wagon. Strong engine with high km (305,000km), and a 4.11:1 diff.

thats probably a little unfair then, apparently the 4.11:1 diff makes a shitload of difference to the performance of an r31

How do R31's give Nissan a bad name do tell me please how?

i'm not too sure on that one myself.. i thought the r31's were quite a good car. if i were to buy one though, it would be gts-x with the rb20det all the way (or maybe slip an rb25 in)  ;D

Offline imaspy

• Captain Chaos
  • vic local moderator
  • post whore
« Reply #14 on: Apr 16, 2003, 07:39PM »
i have to agree with R31Wag00n. my sister had an r31 GXE (1987) with 225,000 on the clock. it was damn quick for its age, had a nice 5 speed gearbox. the thing i hated most about skylines was the steering; waaaay too light. i bet many accidents were caused by people steering too sharply without knowing it, especially in the wet.
You have friend, I have friend. My friend go to your house, put bomb under your floor and blow you to fucking sky!

Offline noss

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • great scott!
    • antrx
« Reply #15 on: Apr 16, 2003, 08:05PM »
i have to agree with R31Wag00n. my sister had an r31 GXE (1987) with 225,000 on the clock. it was damn quick for its age, had a nice 5 speed gearbox. the thing i hated most about skylines was the steering; waaaay too light. i bet many accidents were caused by people steering too sharply without knowing it, especially in the wet.

i'm not saying the r31 skyline is slow, but there has never been a locally delivered r31 beat me yet. oh, except this gts.. he had me ever so slightly, but it was very close, and we raced from croydon to the melbourne zoo. that was a fun day.

Offline GTR_R31

• antrx.com newbie with pewbies
« Reply #16 on: Apr 16, 2003, 09:03PM »
It should be interesting to see what some of the TRXs pull on the dyno on the dyno day that is coming up and see how it compares with some of the R31s ;D

I cant say ive had a chance to run too many TRXs but the ones i have havent had much luck.  :P
I would imagine that traction would become a real issue with the fwd of the TRX.

My car is modified but only a  little, maybe we could have a  challenge day at calder park. then we can  see which car is really faster.

That if you guys arnt to scared  :P :P :P :P
« Last Edit: Apr 16, 2003, 09:06PM by GTR_R31 »

acsplit

« Reply #17 on: Apr 16, 2003, 09:13PM »
noss is that a challange

ohhh but i have a stock skyline i have no chance :(

Offline NOFX

• antrx cruise monkey
  • antrx.com senior member
« Reply #18 on: Apr 16, 2003, 09:23PM »
anyone got approx kerb weights for both cars, 2.4 4 cyl, vs 3.0 6 cyl, the 2.4 being a newer design, it would be a close match up in reality.  A bit OT, but the dudes with the 2.4s, do they vibrate a fair bit, as in, are the a harsh motor, or pretty smooth, i was only thinking the other day that the SR20 is a lot rougher than my old V6 2.5L.

i like the skylines, it'd be a cool car i reckon,  a rad skyline wagon with big wheels, the 6 cyl has plenty of potential thanks to all the people liking the VL so much.

i still dont see how the skyline gave nissan a bad name, although i recall the interior was a little dated by the time the cars came out, i think people were expecting a big leap from the bluebird 84-85 style, i didnt realise i like nissans as much as i do til i owned one.

The car developed an electrical problem after the conrod knocked the distributor off

Offline noss

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • great scott!
    • antrx
« Reply #19 on: Apr 16, 2003, 10:23PM »
noss is that a challange

ohhh but i have a stock skyline i have no chance :(

bah!, i raced you once before champ... i had you good  ;D

Offline noss

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • great scott!
    • antrx
« Reply #20 on: Apr 16, 2003, 10:48PM »
ok, here are the specs of a pintara and an r31 sillouette...

pintara trx specs:

length: 4515
width: 1690
height: 1390

weight: 1236

engine: ka24e - 4 cylinder, sohc, 3 valves per cylinder

kw: 96 @ 5600rpm
torque: 198Nm @ 2800rpm
cr: 8.6:1

r31 skyline sillouette specs:

length: 4653
height: 1395

weight: 1415

engine: rb30e  - 6 cylinder, sohc, 2 valves per cylinder

kw: 114 @ ??rpm
torque: 247Nm @ 3600rpm
cr: 9.0:1

Offline noss

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • great scott!
    • antrx
« Reply #21 on: Apr 16, 2003, 11:22PM »
i just ran a quarter mile with the trx vs. the r31 in cartest (both stock & all info was entered, including wheel size, tyre profile etc) and the trx won by 0.4 sec

the trx had a quarter mile time of 16.4 seconds and the r31 had a quarter mile time of 16.9

of course, i'm not taking these figures as gospel, they are just estimations by a very accurate program.

R31Nismoid

« Reply #22 on: Apr 17, 2003, 01:42PM »
I doubt it. A 2.4 Pintara is quicker in a straight line than a std Silhouette.
As for spending too much money...i spent probably $1200 in total doing headwork with a mild cam. I chopped 2 VN's by many car lengths a couple of weeks back.
No to mention also racing an R33 GTS-T with an exhaust, it only started pulling away (quite slowly may i add) after 90km/h.

bring it on.
i'll take any car that thinks he can match it with a 33-t and i've got a 31   :P

But i don't think silo's weight that much.
My GTS-R weighs in at exactly 1400 kg's with a full load of fuel.

And i'd imagine mine would weight more as it has 2 doors, which means extra support in the rear quaters to cater for no pillars   ???

I had a few runs with nismotrx-dale (before he swapped cars... mmm 34) in my old AUTO coupe that was stock right down to the 2 1/4 exhaust and it was surprisingly quick and he had me everytime. But even an NA RB30E would not be caught by trx. Initially they are quick but in the end i think the R31 has the legs.

Offline NOFX

• antrx cruise monkey
« Reply #23 on: Apr 17, 2003, 02:20PM »
hmm, usually 2 doors are lighter than 4, due to things like window mechanisms, door opening/locking mechanisims not being required, ur car should be lighter than a 4 door, and i'll take ya anytime

dude, tell us about ur car
« Last Edit: Apr 17, 2003, 02:27PM by NOFX »
The car developed an electrical problem after the conrod knocked the distributor off

R31Nismoid

« Reply #24 on: Apr 17, 2003, 03:00PM »
R31GTS-R

They came with a MASSIVE front mount/t04E/stainless extractors and a dump pipe so they were the cream of the crop as far as R31's go

but mine has the added... RB25DET, R32 Brakes with braided lines.
full coil overs all round
sweet clutch

there are some other bits here and there.  It flogs you run of the mill 33 (cooler/12-14psi boost/pod/zorst) easily. and that's only 9psi with 190rwkw.
but i got a surprise for the dyno day   ;D

shaunk

« Reply #25 on: Apr 17, 2003, 03:29PM »
Give me a couple of months and that 190 rwkw will be blown out of the water.  How does a 300kW+ twin turbo 3.5 Magna grab you?  check out www.rpw.com for details of what you'll be up agaianst.

Offline noss

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • great scott!
    • antrx
« Reply #26 on: Apr 17, 2003, 03:41PM »

you have to make these comparisons fair though. all i'm talking about it a run of the mill r31 & a trx. so that means a non turbo r31, running an rb30e and a trx with a ka24e. both with no mods.

in the real world though, it also comes down to driver skill, and also how well the car is maintained. there are variables such as engine mounts, suspension, tyres, the works. its not just the engine & the weight of the car that dictates how a race will run.

for the cartest comparison, all the figures i got were from carsales.com.au and also some enthusiast sites.

and on the dyno day, the skylines may very well pull higher figures than any trx that runs, but keep in mind the mods that everyone has made. the guys that are getting involved from the skyline club all sound like they're pretty keen on their cars & had a fair bit of work done. but i could be wrong.

i dont doubt that an r31 with $2000 spent on it will flog a trx with the same ammount spent on it. with all the support the rb30e has had from the hordes of drivers that own vl commodores & r31's you can pick up bolt on go fast equipment for a decent price. for the trx, its another story. there was only 1 front wheel drive car with the ka24e in it, and that was the u12 pintara. and until recently, when the pintara has become an affordable price for your average p plater, the pintara hasnt ever really been made to go fast. performance mods are still prohibitively expensive for the average p plater though, because there has to be a fair ammount of research done to get there, and most of them will give up & go buy vk commodores, spend $1500 on it, and it will run a 13 second quarter.

on dyno day though, i will be very dissapointed if i dont make at least 90kw @ the wheels.

DoNNo

« Reply #27 on: Apr 17, 2003, 03:46PM »
well as u are comparing against a stock silo!
i own a stock silo so lets get a drag going

my stock silo auto against a stock auto trx

lets c who wins and stop this post and set the facts straight

R31Nismoid

« Reply #28 on: Apr 17, 2003, 04:16PM »
Give me a couple of months and that 190 rwkw will be blown out of the water.  How does a 300kW+ twin turbo 3.5 Magna grab you?  check out www.rpw.com for details of what you'll be up agaianst.

who's talking about magna's   ???
i'm just talking about sssgtr and the 33, i'm not here to cause trouble and try be a super hero with a TT magna.
it only would grab me if it cost $14,500 (that's the price of the car aswell)
you don't need to spend big money to have resonable performance IMO
R31's and TRX's are excentionally quick considering age/price, and with a little bit of money ontop they do go quite nicely. Of course both have strengths and weakness as one would appreciate.

Offline SSS

• Administrator
  • post whore
« Reply #29 on: Apr 17, 2003, 04:41PM »
I'm not saying a TRX/T is in anyway going to be quicker than a turbo'd 31/32/33, i was basing my comparo on the NA RB30E's.
That R33 GTS-T i was talking about, i just thought they'd pull away much faster.
And, as for the dyno day, i'll be severly pissed if i can't even pull 95kw at the wheels.....
Besides, us U12 owners have weight on our side  :wiggle2:

Offline noss

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • great scott!
    • antrx
« Reply #30 on: Apr 17, 2003, 05:01PM »
well as u are comparing against a stock silo!
i own a stock silo so lets get a drag going

my stock silo auto against a stock auto trx

lets c who wins and stop this post and set the facts straight

guys, there is no need to get so defensive. i dont mind someone organising a bit of a race between two stock autos & two stock manuals, and then we'll see how everything goes. the two cars are very evenly matched. my money would be on the trx, but it would all depend on the drivers in the end.

i have read car reviews on the trx (by 3rd party reviewers, not nissan, or myself for that matter) that clearly pointed out that the trx was quicker by a smidge than the vl commodore & its r31 cousin.

keep in mind that even if the trx would have been slower in the quarter mile in the cartest program, i would have still posted the results. i'm not trying to provide biased info here.

also, something to remember, using the general rules of drivetrain losses, a front wheel drive pintara (stock with 96kw) will get ~74kw to the ground. a rear wheel drive r31 skyline (stock with 114kw) will get ~75kw to the ground. the torque of an engine suffers the same drivetrain losses with a trx putting 152Nm to the ground and the skyline getting 160Nm to the ground. then  the r31 has an extra 200kg to contend with. the pintara may be a front wheel drive, and it may have traction issues, but its not hard for an experienced driver to keep this under control, yet still have a lot of speed off the mark. so as you can see, once you take into account all the figures, you might start to realise that this is a very close match up.

Offline noss

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • great scott!
    • antrx
« Reply #31 on: Apr 17, 2003, 05:09PM »
I'm not saying a TRX/T is in anyway going to be quicker than a turbo'd 31/32/33, i was basing my comparo on the NA RB30E's.
That R33 GTS-T i was talking about, i just thought they'd pull away much faster.
And, as for the dyno day, i'll be severly pissed if i can't even pull 95kw at the wheels.....
Besides, us U12 owners have weight on our side  :wiggle2:

if i were you sssgtr, i'd be pissed if i wasnt pulling high 90's at the wheels. i reckon at least 98kw @ the wheels would be a fair call for your car.

PSI_GTSII

« Reply #32 on: Apr 17, 2003, 05:20PM »
I have owned both KA24e Pintara and RB30 R31's, and yes it would be a close run battle indeed ;)
BTW, this is my Old totally stock from the Factory R31 Silouhette:

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline NOFX

• antrx cruise monkey
« Reply #33 on: Apr 17, 2003, 06:27PM »
lol, go the scoop,

Nismoid, 190rwkw, thats pretty hardcore, as standard, did they come with the Fj20DET?, im guessing they came with such a massive turbo so they would make good race cars under group A regulations, cos a TO4 on a 2.0 litre is a bit of overkill, u'd think it would take too long to spool up, are u running that turbo on the rb25? u got any pics of the car, have u run a 1/4 mile with it yet? I think u and i would have a close one actually if we had a run, ur car is a bit heavier than mine but with more power, but ur rwd to my 4wd, cya man

Offline Joczy

• antrx.com junkie
  • feed me guiness
« Reply #34 on: Apr 17, 2003, 06:39PM »

most of them will give up & go buy vk commodores, spend $1500 on it, and it will run a 13 second quarter.

why theres nothing wrong in doing that  ;D
"It's darkest before dawn so if u want to steel ur neighbours newspaper thens the time to do it"

Offline Joczy

• antrx.com junkie
  • feed me guiness
« Reply #35 on: Apr 17, 2003, 06:44PM »
whats the mailbox doing on top of the bonnet on that r31 skyline?  ;D
"It's darkest before dawn so if u want to steel ur neighbours newspaper thens the time to do it"

Offline chucky

• CRUISE MONKEY
  • post whore
  • WHERES MY STICKER?
« Reply #36 on: Apr 17, 2003, 07:13PM »
lol @ mailbox hahahahahahahaha
What do ralliart do??? make stickers???

Offline RichTRX

• sth. oz local moderator
  • post whore
  • May the 4's be with you.
« Reply #37 on: Apr 17, 2003, 08:42PM »
Man for f*cks sake guys...

This argument is about the R31 Sedan here ie Silhouettes and GXEs not GTS-Rs or GTS-Xs... wtf is going on with people with GTS-Rs challenging TRXs? Why don't you take someone your own size on like NOFX in his Bluebird SSS!! I bet he'll kick the living F*** out of any R31 skyline out there and his car IS A U12. Sorry R31 guys.

Meanwhile I haven't lost to a single RB30E powered car in my ownership of my TRX. That includes several drags against Skylines when I've had a full car. We could argue about this until the cows come home but let's see...

From all reports and personal experience, TRXs are FASTER than a Skyline with the same gearbox.
U12 SSS Bluebirds have more power at the wheels from the ATTESSA than any R31 Skyline.

I rest my case.
His: 2001 Audi S4 biturbo quattro 6sp, Nogaro Blue/black leather recaros, microsilver trim, bose 10sp, SSAC 2.5" twin turboback, RS4 rear sway, 25% tint

Hers: MY99.5 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro GP Edition AVANT 5-sp, phantom black, black leather buckets/walnut/sunroof, 2.5" D&T Turboback, K04-015, N75J, 710N DV

Bro driving: 1990 Nissan Pintara TRX 5sp Red, 16" Rozzis, Lukey 4-2-1 ext, 2.5" full exhaust, hi-flow cat, cone cai, stg 3 chip,  low Kings, GT Gas shocks, Urethane bushings, slotted front rotors, 398000k and still going strong; 0-100 in around 7.2-7.4 seconds

DoNNo

« Reply #38 on: Apr 17, 2003, 09:18PM »
well no one has asked me for a drag

i am still waiting

are u chicken?

Offline RichTRX

• post whore
« Reply #39 on: Apr 17, 2003, 11:29PM »
Well if you want to see how you'll go against a stock MANUAL TRX, then sure thing.
His: 2001 Audi S4 biturbo quattro 6sp, Nogaro Blue/black leather recaros, microsilver trim, bose 10sp, SSAC 2.5" twin turboback, RS4 rear sway, 25% tint

Hers: MY99.5 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro GP Edition AVANT 5-sp, phantom black, black leather buckets/walnut/sunroof, 2.5" D&T Turboback, K04-015, N75J, 710N DV

Bro driving: 1990 Nissan Pintara TRX 5sp Red, 16" Rozzis, Lukey 4-2-1 ext, 2.5" full exhaust, hi-flow cat, cone cai, stg 3 chip,  low Kings, GT Gas shocks, Urethane bushings, slotted front rotors, 398000k and still going strong; 0-100 in around 7.2-7.4 seconds

DoNNo

« Reply #40 on: Apr 18, 2003, 11:27AM »
nah i am going agasint a stock auto

i am sure someone would have a stock manual

R31Nismoid

« Reply #41 on: Apr 18, 2003, 02:20PM »
Why don't you take someone your own size on like NOFX in his Bluebird SSS!! I bet he'll kick the living F*** out of any R31 skyline out there and his car IS A U12. Sorry R31 guys.

hehehe!  LOL
if that's what you think.

Anyway, to NOFX... The car came with a RB20DET-R stock but this has been replaced with an RB25DET (the japs did it not me) and it's got a full 3" exhaust, and yes. I pulled 190 just with that.

As the GTS-R's were a group A car the t04E wasn't a bad choice for racing that is, shocking for road driving (but very economical)
On the RB20 it hit full boost at 5300.
On the rb25 in mine it hits full boost around 4300-4500 and holds till nearly 7000.
I ran it at calder a few weeks back. I scored a 13.85 @100mph.
This though was with my stuffed pump so i changed before 6000 everytime as i'm getting detonation, and we all know what happens with that   ;D  so i just got up there for a rough time, i was super happy with the result considering it was the first time i'd raced it.
and yeah, the t04E is still on the car.
It's basically factory (engine wise) apart form the RB25 and a pod, but everything else has been fiddled with.
pics here   http://www.planetspeedy.com/__stuff/gtsr
thanks to mick for hosting them

Offline imaspy

• Captain Chaos
  • vic local moderator
  • post whore
« Reply #42 on: Apr 18, 2003, 02:52PM »
looks fucking brilliant nismoid!

keep up the good work.... you've done damn well!   8)

Offline SSS

• Administrator
  • post whore
« Reply #43 on: Apr 18, 2003, 05:07PM »
well no one has asked me for a drag

i am still waiting

are u chicken?
I'll race ya. No i'm not chicken. :D
Must warn you my car is not stock....nor an auto.

Offline NOFX

• antrx cruise monkey
« Reply #44 on: Apr 18, 2003, 09:30PM »
nismoid, thanks for answering all the qn's, man, that is a damn nice car, hopefully i can get some pics of mine soon and i'll put them up, cya+

Offline RichTRX

• post whore
« Reply #45 on: Apr 19, 2003, 06:35PM »
Yeah very nice indeed Nismoid. And 13.8's nearly as fast as a HSV GTS 300 Coupe  as tested in Wheels against the GTR N1. hmmm... The Bluebird SSS is still 4wd though. My next car I think!! I'll see ;)

In the meantime it's my TRX being done up. Sorry, no races until I get a new clutch!! ;) But when I do I'd love to have a drag against a few R31s.

For now,
I haven't lost a single race vs. an RB30E hehehe!

floody

« Reply #46 on: Apr 21, 2003, 03:26PM »
ok, here are the specs of a pintara and an r31 sillouette...

pintara trx specs:

length: 4515
height: 1390

weight: 1236

engine: ka24e - 4 cylinder, sohc, 3 valves per cylinder

kw: 96 @ 5600rpm
torque: 198Nm @ 2800rpm
cr: 8.6:1

r31 skyline sillouette specs:

length: 4653
height: 1395

weight: 1415

engine: rb30e  - 6 cylinder, sohc, 2 valves per cylinder

kw: 114 @ ??rpm
torque: 247Nm @ 3600rpm
cr: 9.0:1

Where did you find the R31 specs? I doubt that a silhouette is 95kg heavier than the base model, which is 1310-20kg, if not, a bit lighter. Oh and the R31 has 118kw, as opposed to the VL with 114kw (slightly different cam). Plug in those numbers and check the results in your simulator.
Oh, I've chopped a typical p plater drag race in a manual TRX before back in Victoria, was quite easy. My car is a manual GX though, not a silhouette, so I don't have the LSD, but its the lightest R31. I have a K&N filter in my airbox, dunno bout the other car, but it had a rice muffler.
cheers,
floody

Offline noss

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • great scott!
    • antrx
« Reply #47 on: Apr 22, 2003, 11:22AM »
i got the figures from carsales and some other enthusiast websites. all gave me the same info (weight & power wise)

i have an exhaust on my trx, and it is quite loud, and the problem with that is that, even when i'm just cruising along, it sounds like i'm trying to race. so i dunno.

the only r31 thats ever beaten me is a gts but it wasnt by a whole lot. i havent really raced many r31's though.

floody

« Reply #48 on: Apr 22, 2003, 02:02PM »
well all I'm saying is 1. I have beaten a manual TRX, by a good couple
                                        of lengths.
                                   2. 1320kg/118kw is better than 1236/96
                                        e.g 11.1kg/kw vs 12.8kg/kw
                                   3. RWD traction is an advantage so this will also tip
                                        the balance somewhat
I doubt it was you I raced, it was up in Ballarat.   Actually, despite its 140kw, the aussie gts is not that much quicker, the 16" wheels, body kit, interior trim etc all see the weight rise. Still, its power to weight ratio would stomp on a pintara's.
I'm not slagging your cars, just reminding you they may eb nice but its hard to beat the laws of physics.....
cheers,
floody

R31Nismoid

« Reply #49 on: Apr 22, 2003, 02:20PM »
Kw has a degree here, but also to remember it's torque that moves the cars   ;)

.02 cents

Offline imaspy

• Captain Chaos
  • vic local moderator
  • post whore
« Reply #50 on: Apr 22, 2003, 02:26PM »
.02 cents? thats not much.... its like 1/100th of 2 cents really ;)

Offline noss

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • great scott!
    • antrx
« Reply #51 on: Apr 22, 2003, 02:28PM »
well all I'm saying is 1. I have beaten a manual TRX, by a good couple
                                        of lengths.
                                   2. 1320kg/118kw is better than 1236/96
                                        e.g 11.1kg/kw vs 12.8kg/kw
                                   3. RWD traction is an advantage so this will also tip
                                        the balance somewhat
I doubt it was you I raced, it was up in Ballarat.   Actually, despite its 140kw, the aussie gts is not that much quicker, the 16" wheels, body kit, interior trim etc all see the weight rise. Still, its power to weight ratio would stomp on a pintara's.
I'm not slagging your cars, just reminding you they may eb nice but its hard to beat the laws of physics.....
cheers,
floody

hehehe.. not saying you raced my car. seeing that it happened in ballarat, it definately wasnt me. but i've had quite a few people in terrible cars performance wise (ford festiva, hyundai excel etc) that have thought they have raced & beaten me. i dont really race anymore.. it just sounds like i do. i used to when i was a youngin (6 months ago :P) but i dont really anymore. whenever i go looking for a bit of a rac though, i cant find one  >:(

dont forget that there is more drivetrain loss in a rwd. none of us are saying r31's are crap either. well, maybe someone did, but that isnt the view of everyone here.

and yes r31nismoid, torque is what moves the car, not the kw.. once drivetrain losses are accounted for, both toque & power to the ground is much the same as that of the trx. and its not hard for someone that knows wat they're doing to not spin the wheels in a fwd car.

R31Nismoid

« Reply #52 on: Apr 22, 2003, 02:40PM »
.02 cents? thats not much.... its like 1/100th of 2 cents really ;)

:cwm20:

Offline Deanodriver

• antrx.com full member
« Reply #53 on: Apr 22, 2003, 08:17PM »
hmm, comparing the 'sports' models of the Nissans of the similar era...

I'll try and compare three models. The Pintara TR-X, the Skyline Silhouette, and the Pulsar Vector SSS, all 1990 models, all manuals, all stock.

Pintara:
2.4L
96kW
189Nm
12.88kg/kW
1236kg

Skyline:
3.0L
114kW
247Nm
12.19kg/kW
1390kg

Pulsar:
1.8L
79kW
151Nm
1030kg
13.04kg/kW

now, judging by those figures alone, the Skyline would be fastest. However, there are plenty other factors to consider:

traction: the Skyline is RWD, hence would have more power losses, yet harder to lose traction.
torque: the RB30 has more torque than the KA24 and the Family II (naturally)
However, the Pulsar has a higher diff ratio than the other two (4.167), so off the mark, it would probably be quicker than the other two, despite it's power/weight.

Of course, it depends on the driver, but I would think, to be fair, a Pulsar of similar era (N13), should be included, see which Nissan is fastest. I like the looks of the TR/X, I like the power of the R31, and the Pulsar ain't a bad little car either. I would prefer the R31 as a daily driver however, as I prefer larger cars.
Former Pintara owner, now driving a Pug!

floody

« Reply #54 on: Apr 22, 2003, 11:43PM »
Kw has a degree here, but also to remember it's torque that moves the cars   ;)

.02 cents

for sure , 247nm is handy :D
Sorry guys if you thought I was slagging the TRX's, just giving my analysis.
I think it would be even betweem them, personally. But personally, I'll have a nice rwd car any day, even if I have to give up a little in styling and modernity :D
cheers,
floody

Offline SSS

• Administrator
  • post whore
« Reply #55 on: Apr 23, 2003, 12:31AM »
it's all down to the driver too you know.

BlakeyBoyR

« Reply #56 on: Apr 27, 2003, 11:28PM »
Seems like ive started quite the debate huh ?

Offline SSS

• Administrator
  • post whore
« Reply #57 on: Apr 28, 2003, 05:59PM »
Uhuh. I should have something for you boys that may do low 12's first outing....
Otherwise i'm selling the T when it cracks 13's (ie 13.999 :D)

EDIT: I can't legally register an AE86 Sprinter with a mild port 13BT running a T04.... :'(
So there goes that idea....
« Last Edit: Apr 29, 2003, 03:30PM by sssgtr »

Offline Budgie

• Dr. B Udgie - AWD FTW
  • Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12-U13
« Reply #58 on: May 1, 2003, 03:31PM »
it's all down to the driver too you know.

Yeah, I guess it would also depend on the weight of the driver or any passengers.  Or if you were going up a hill...
dont piss me off with your pillarless shit captain snappy wrist

Offline SyP40n

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #59 on: May 3, 2003, 04:05PM »
I think all the dreamers should stop bitching and look at some REAL comparisons!!

The results will be up soon i imagine from the Dyno Day at Goodguys in Bayswater.

You might want to note that my car pulled 94.3rwkws...only mod is extractors.....now from what i saw today there was plenty of TR-X's with more than just a set of extractors bolted on and they just broke into the 90's....

So as far as modifications go, whoever crapped on about how ful sick their TR-X's were, theres a reality check in order for you!  ::)

So not one of these cars pulled a better kw rating than a stockish silo...?

So as far as money goes, i know which one i would be spending less money on to get a good return at the wheels :P

Now on the road this relates differently as weights come into play as does the ability of the driver, so thats another story.  Calder Park drag meet may be in order to make some ppl wake up me thinks :P

Read the facts, move on, and except that its possible another car might be quicker than yours!

My 2 cents

ciao

Offline Adam J-TRX

« Reply #60 on: May 3, 2003, 04:22PM »
I have a feeling that the weight factor is signicant across 400m, and I think that's been demonstrated in our cruises with r31skylineclub.com. Top speed? That could be a different story.

Offline SyP40n

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #61 on: May 3, 2003, 04:40PM »
I think its just too close to call really

The only thing that would tell is a real quarter mile run between the 2 base models.

Anyhow, i think we should all be happy that we own Nissans and stick together!  

This is starting to sound like we drive other unnamed Aussie built Cars and have the attitude to go with it :P

Lets just wait till we see some quarter mile times and maybe a decision can be made from there as to what is the quickest car.

As far as bang for bucks goes, i think the r31 has well and truly demonstrated that its the BIG winner here.

noss said something about the abundance of bolt on goodies that are avaliable for RB30's and he is too right, all thanks to VL-T's.  So if your looking for something that you dont have to spend big dollars on to gain reasonable kilowatts and extra torque from, the r31 wins hands down.  

You guys would know more about what can and cant go in u12 pintara's but from what ive seen the KA24E is probably not the way to go if you want big horsepower (the RB30 bottom end is good for 800hp in standard form, but who knows how long it would hold out), possibly SR20's if they bolt in.  The Pulsars with the SR20's did exceptionally well with what seemed not alot of modifications.

All these cars have great potential none the less and remember, we owe it to Nissan that we own such great automobiles ( and we r31 owners owe it to nissan for such crappy electrics :P).

Peace

Offline Adam J-TRX

« Reply #62 on: May 3, 2003, 04:53PM »
Lets just wait till we see some quarter mile times and maybe a decision can be made from there as to what is the quickest car.
Yep, that's the only thing gonna prove it.

I just wanted to point out the separation in 'quickest' over the 1/4 mile vs. an extended straight line race. There are factors in there, such as kW and gear ratios, that define 'quickest'. Now I'm just getting pedantic, hehe. :P

Offline noss

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • great scott!
    • antrx
« Reply #63 on: May 3, 2003, 04:55PM »
You guys would know more about what can and cant go in u12 pintara's but from what ive seen the KA24E is probably not the way to go if you want big horsepower (the RB30 bottom end is good for 800hp in standard form, but who knows how long it would hold out), possibly SR20's if they bolt in.  The Pulsars with the SR20's did exceptionally well with what seemed not alot of modifications.

yeah, there are a few sr20det trx's around.. one of which makes a tidy 160kw @ the wheels

Offline SSS

• Administrator
  • post whore
« Reply #64 on: May 3, 2003, 05:44PM »
SyP4on: From what i've heard, the KA24 bottom end is quite over engineered, it's weakness being thin piston ring lands that cannot stand up to much more than 7psi in turbo form. Also, the bore spacing is quite thin too....

Offline SKY-031

• R31 Skyline Club
    • R31 Skyline club
« Reply #65 on: May 4, 2003, 11:40AM »
DRAG DAY!     DRAG DAY!    DRAG DAY!      

;D

Offline RichTRX

• post whore
« Reply #66 on: May 4, 2003, 12:46PM »
I'd love to come but it'd be too far to drive!!

Anyways... I don't care anymore which one's faster... they're both Nissans so who gives!?!?!

My point that I've never lost to one though still remains.

Offline SKY-031

• R31 Skyline Club
    • R31 Skyline club
« Reply #67 on: May 4, 2003, 03:08PM »
I'd love to come but it'd be too far to drive!!

My point that I've never lost to one though still remains.

You don't need to be there with us, just go to a local strip and get some time sheets of your runs.

Like you said, theyre both Nissans, and the fact that we're all loyal to Nissan should be enough, but apparently, for some people, they need to prove that their car is 'better' than everyone elses.

That's more of an ego thing.

:cwm35:

Offline Nismo

• antrx cruise monkey
  • antrx.com junkie
    • My Car
« Reply #68 on: May 5, 2003, 03:06PM »
I've never seen a U12 Pintara run at Calder... which more than likely means that they don't go to fast...

hmm then you must not have been at calder on 10th August 2001? Which is when I ran my car down there :P now I didnt set any records but had some fun. I only managed a 16.7 @ 85mph. My trx was an auto and almost never wheelspins on the road - just ask any of these guys who have raced me!

At calder I was wheel spinning heaps due to the crap they put on the track [I believe its water] plus my temperature from lining up for ages was less than optimum. Not making excuses just advising that on the average run on the street I would estimate a much lower 16 second pass compared to running at calder.

I also took my baby trx around sandown on a sprint day back in July 2000 and came 2nd in my car class - guess what the winner was driving...

A red manual trx ;) [no joke] Other cars in our class were, Datson 240 and 260z's and a couple of others - too long ago now to remember. Had heaps of fun that weekend though ;D

I also looked at buying a silo series III but ended up going for the trx mainly based on it looking more modern and performance was great when i tested a couple - skylines were a couple grand more back then and I never test drove one so cant comment on power personally. They are both good cars and I believe both have potential.

I am under the impression that most of the R31's that "boogie" are turbocharged? Now your gonna have to be fair and compare one of these "disco dancers" with a turbo trx not an atmo! C'mon K be fair :P

How did the pics turn out?

Dale.

Offline Nismo

• antrx cruise monkey
  • antrx.com junkie
    • My Car
« Reply #69 on: May 5, 2003, 03:27PM »

bring it on.
i'll take any car that thinks he can match it with a 33-t and i've got a 31   :P

I had a few runs with nismotrx-dale (before he swapped cars... mmm 34) in my old AUTO coupe that was stock right down to the 2 1/4 exhaust and it was surprisingly quick and he had me everytime. But even an NA RB30E would not be caught by trx. Initially they are quick but in the end i think the R31 has the legs.

Time for a rematch mate? you will probably get me this time though ? dunno...
« Last Edit: May 5, 2003, 09:25PM by Nismo »

Offline SSS

• Administrator
  • post whore
« Reply #70 on: May 5, 2003, 05:20PM »
You know Nismo, if you don't come and bring the R34 out when the drag day is on, i think noss and i may have to come round to your house and drag you out..... ;D

Offline noss

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • great scott!
    • antrx
« Reply #71 on: May 5, 2003, 05:48PM »
yeah, i know where you live nismo  ;D

Offline Nismo

• antrx cruise monkey
  • antrx.com junkie
    • My Car
« Reply #72 on: May 5, 2003, 10:04PM »
have you guys set a date for this yet?

R31Nismoid: so you have weighed your car then?

If yours weighs in at 1,400kgs then mine must be 1500 or more...?

Offline noss

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • great scott!
    • antrx
« Reply #73 on: May 5, 2003, 10:59PM »
have you guys set a date for this yet?

R31Nismoid: so you have weighed your car then?

If yours weighs in at 1,400kgs then mine must be 1500 or more...?

havent set a date champ, i only started talking to people about it on saturday.. i reckon in a month or two would be ideal

Offline SKYLINE-TRX

• thw infamous TRX
    • IF HORSES WERE MADE FOR MAN TO RIDE THAN MAN WAS MADE FOR WORMS TO EAT
Re: R31 Skyline -V- Trx
« Reply #74 on: Sep 24, 2008, 10:45PM »
or you could always have both in one(if your lucky enough). nissans SVD in 1987 made 4 skyline trx's (i know because my dad worked for nissans svd and helped make them + i own 1 of them) i have driven a standard R31 and it has absolutly NO COMPETITION to a skyline trx.

they dynod the skyline TRX's at 185 true kw compared to standard skylines at 113 true kw (which is still more than the pintaras 78kw).
they have a very similar bodykit to a pintara trx, 15inch CSA mags, 3 inch exhaust, upgraded fuel injection system, similar computer to the GTS-R but with a better performance chip, larger throttle body, extractors, larger cams and a few other bits and pieces.

all were made from GXE's and all are RED

Offline Luke

• 173kw @ all 4
  • antrx.com junkie
« Reply #75 on: Sep 24, 2008, 11:08PM »
OMG, biggest thread dig ever!!!!!!!!!!!
Jason reffering to the OzVR4 Forum... "Even their forum is slow" "FJ20.com on the other hand, yep that S12 does Mono's"

Offline Habibosaurus

• YouTube King
  • Global Moderator
  • antrx.com junkie
« Reply #76 on: Sep 24, 2008, 11:10PM »
LMAO, that has to be a record. Dam it Luke you beat me to it. Nice info Skyline-Trx.... ;)
Ill fight you. May even throw a bar of soap your way. Maybe a few wax strips and some clip on brembo brake calipers for your fooly sic civic.

Offline Budgie

• Dr. B Udgie - AWD FTW
  • Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12-U13
« Reply #77 on: Sep 24, 2008, 11:31PM »
or you could always have both in one(if your lucky enough). nissans SVD in 1987 made 4 skyline trx's (i know because my dad worked for nissans svd and helped make them + i own 1 of them) i have driven a standard R31 and it has absolutly NO COMPETITION to a skyline trx.

they dynod the skyline TRX's at 185 true kw compared to standard skylines at 113 true kw (which is still more than the pintaras 78kw).
they have a very similar bodykit to a pintara trx, 15inch CSA mags, 3 inch exhaust, upgraded fuel injection system, similar computer to the GTS-R but with a better performance chip, larger throttle body, extractors, larger cams and a few other bits and pieces.

all were made from GXE's and all are RED

Interesting!  I've heard of this SVD secret shit going on...

Offline cruizer

• post whore
« Reply #78 on: Sep 25, 2008, 12:22AM »
Farking hell...seriously  ::)

Offline Leopard-Man

• antrx.com junkie
  • vg20det ftw
« Reply #79 on: Sep 25, 2008, 03:28AM »
no kidding? any pics of this skyline-trx you own?

is this you:

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/Tracking-R31-Skyline-Trx-t236510.html
« Last Edit: Sep 25, 2008, 03:33AM by ZANDER U13 »
I am a man More sinn'd against than sinning.

Offline SSS

• Administrator
  • post whore
« Reply #80 on: Sep 25, 2008, 09:47AM »
It appears that i had gaids back in '03.

Offline minimikee

• aka TRX13
  • antrx.com junkie
« Reply #81 on: Sep 25, 2008, 01:13PM »
lol give the kid a medal ... 5 years is epic lol
lol Phantom and I at the wreckers
Me - 'Oi do you have a hammer'
Phantom - 'No, here have an auto-controller' lol

Offline SKYLINE-TRX

• thw infamous TRX
« Reply #82 on: Sep 28, 2008, 12:38AM »

Offline SKYLINE-TRX

• thw infamous TRX
« Reply #83 on: Oct 6, 2008, 10:43PM »
Interesting!  I've heard of this SVD secret shit going on...

they made like 4 as a research and development car

Offline Budgie

• Dr. B Udgie - AWD FTW
  • Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12-U13
« Reply #84 on: Oct 6, 2008, 10:52PM »
I want more pics of your car mate.

Does it have any SVD marking on it anywhere?  Build plate, etc?

Offline rathies

• I may be going to hell but I'm going in a 4BY
  • post whore
  • Patrol of Doom coming soon
« Reply #85 on: Oct 6, 2008, 11:42PM »
man nissan used to do some experimentally cool shit before they left aus..come back!!
Previous rides: KA24ET TRX,  2000 GUII Patrol 4.2 td, AntrxWA whore TRX owner 4/5, 99 Landrover Discovery TD5
Current Ride(s):  91 GQ Patrol ST-3 RB25DET Converted :)

Offline RichTRX

• post whore
« Reply #86 on: Oct 27, 2008, 10:07AM »
now all they do is put nismo 400R flashes on Tiidas.

Offline Colby

• post whore
  • KA24DE powered TRX
« Reply #87 on: Oct 27, 2008, 01:42PM »
There was that red thing on here with skyline rear lights and plates SVD TRX... looked just like a pintara  :P
This thread is quite funny at the start... you can just about see the pubies growing on the screen.

Offline skubz

• antrx.com pre-pewbie newbie
« Reply #88 on: Jan 11, 2009, 09:00PM »
 (Ie. the ability to destroy charades off the line), the skyline or the TRX ?will

OMG i just read that whole thing and i swear the funniest bit was right at the start! maybe we should all get Charades... as they clearly are a monster on the road  ;D