Author Topic: opinions on wheels and suspension  (Read 35161 times)

Browny_r31

Re: opinions on wheels and suspension
« Reply #90 on: Jul 31, 2004, 02:46PM »
meh i can get them cheap cheap anyway through one of my friends  ;D at kent engineering. Plus i will be doing the brakes while im at it and the clutch and i will get great discount on all those things.

nissanman

« Reply #91 on: Aug 6, 2004, 11:09AM »
Got my Kings Springs in...
They are hell firm! Very nice...

Now the Pedders shocks are okay, better than stock thats for sure but i was sorta hopein for more...
Ihavnt got my Custom rears in yet becasue they are still being made,
Cant wait for them to go in,
Cause the front if stiff and the rear is hell spongy when i go round corners hell fast i still get a bit of like body roll drift, which is Crap.

But u guess thats because of my completly bald rears too!  :o Not good... gettn new ones next week,

I would have liked the shcoks to be a bit firmer and more direct feeling but she still his hellll direct and sits tight to the road when needed,,,

Offline SLY-031

• antrx.com full member
  • The One and Only ;)
« Reply #92 on: Aug 6, 2004, 10:56PM »
finally finished putting in the konis and kings. havent drivin it much tho, no rego and bad alignment. but its nice and firm, may eventually set it harder for hillz in summer. tis excellent for now though.

Joel.

not all aussie built cars are holden or ford...

Browny_r31

« Reply #93 on: Aug 7, 2004, 06:52PM »
so when u get it all alligned ur gonna let me test them out right  ;D ill see if they are stiff or not and observe the amount of bodyroll it gets

Offline SLY-031

• antrx.com full member
  • The One and Only ;)
« Reply #94 on: Aug 7, 2004, 10:03PM »
hahahaha. whetever you reckon. i head up to clarendon and test em out ;) back is a bit too high still, front is nice height. im hoping the rears will wear in a bit and compress about a half inch. dont like my odds though. may have to get em compressed.

Joel.

Browny_r31

« Reply #95 on: Aug 8, 2004, 09:29PM »
get some subs in the boot. that seems to make the car sit alittle lower

nissanman

« Reply #96 on: Aug 11, 2004, 10:02PM »
Took about a day of driving for my springs to 'settle in'.
After that it was maybe 20-30mm lower.

Browny_r31

« Reply #97 on: Aug 12, 2004, 12:58PM »
yes the new springs still didnt help u out. tsk tsk tsk

Offline KNG P1N

• humpin ya mumma since '85
  • post whore
  • dont hate the player.....hate the game
« Reply #98 on: Aug 12, 2004, 02:23PM »
give them a few months to sag abit, i wasnt happy originally with the rear ride height, but theve sagged a bit and now it suits me fine. park next to a stock height one, then ull notice the difference :o
And there's not much I can say
But we miss you every day
And I'm bitter 'cause it's unfair
We'll be drinkin' in the sun
Playing music having fun
Cause one day I'll see you there
R.I.P, M.M 1984 - 2005

nissanman

« Reply #99 on: Aug 13, 2004, 11:23AM »
yes the new springs still didnt help u out. tsk tsk tsk

I ONLY HAD MY FRONT SPRINGS IN!!!!!! LOL,

nissanman

« Reply #100 on: Aug 13, 2004, 11:30AM »
give them a few months to sag abit, i wasnt happy originally with the rear ride height, but theve sagged a bit and now it suits me fine. park next to a stock height one, then ull notice the difference :o

I didnt think that it lowered it much but then i compared it to a stocker, damn there is a differance!

Offline PINR-31

• antrx.com junior member
  • Go-cart spec Pintara
    • R31 club
« Reply #101 on: Nov 4, 2004, 11:34AM »
weeeeeeeeak, deleting my post was the easy way out

Honestly i could contradict several points made

camber kit are cool but $$$ to fit and $$$ on tyre wear

Camber kits - s13 units fit (HKS, Cusco, JIC etc), seen them for around $125-$180 average price, small spacer required to seat the spring properly. Kmac are the expensive ones, desgined for R31, but actually have less adjustment than the s13 import ones ~$400.
Tire wear running 1-2 degs negative camber, neglidgable (without negative camber you'll end up wearing out the outter sidewall just as fast)....you think you camber now is set perfectly? i doubt it, camber kits improve on this. Suspension shops like that sort of adjustment as they know they are sending you out wheels pointing straight.
Coilovers for R31's can be found, takes a bit of hunting....JIC make them for R31 imports which do fit the aus spec ones and also allow you to upgrade the brakes on the front (100mm spacings on for the calipers).
With modification to your current struts they can be made into coilovers. A threads piece is welded to the strut tower and adjusting nuts with very heavy rate springs can be added....Talking 1000-1500 for a set, why would you actually pay $1000 for pedders?
Most import places would stock a bit of suspension gear built for s13's....rear s13 coilovers would be a reasonably easy to find and easy to do modification....you could either use the R31 shock strut tops or re-drill the stud pattern where they bolt into the wheel archs (under the parcel shelf)

KYB's are cheap, performance ratings but i'd have to say if you drive it hard, not as durable as you think
Koni, very good yes, but not the best
Ever heard of Bilstiens?
Monroes shocks, dont go there
Pedders shocks, sheesh

Pedders springs, low, stiff but much better available
King springs, not very low, good rates, most popular choice
Other brands include Whiteline, Lovell which are a bit more $$ but people who have them rave about the performance.

yea some thick whitelines will make a difference. go forth.lol

Whiteline do 27mm sway bars compared to the 25mm or 22mm for skyline or pintara respectively (front)
Saying that this means a standard 25mm skyline sway bar will have less flex than a pintara unit. Much cheaper than forking out $160 for the 27mm whiteline one.

Rears are the same diameter stock compared to whiteline but the tensile strength of the of the metal is much stronger and stiffer.
Sway bars dont actually make the car stiffer over bumps but they stop the body roll by flexing the bar as one side lifts up. Second upgrade i'd do after changing te springs as it makes the ride in the cabin more comfortable around corners

Now for you people saying 'Wow my car sits low', you can have it any frikin height you want (within adjustment) with coilovers  ;D
Low isn't always better........and as i said in my previously deleted post, 7 pages of garbage
« Last Edit: Nov 4, 2004, 04:37PM by PINR-31 »

Offline KNG P1N

• post whore
« Reply #102 on: Nov 5, 2004, 07:49AM »
Coilovers are illegal on r31's.

from furthur research im willing to agree with u about camber kits.

With modification to your current struts they can be made into coilovers. A threads piece is welded to the strut tower and adjusting nuts with very heavy rate springs can be added....Talking 1000-1500 for a set, why would you actually pay $1000 for pedders?

same reason that that lots of fools waste money on pedders.  :P they know very little if nething about suspension. having said that your sugessting that they modify there struts? maybe thats a money making venture u could persue, modified r31 struts  :P
« Last Edit: Nov 5, 2004, 07:57AM by mattius »
Playing music having fun
R.I.P, M.M 1984 - 2005

Browny_r31

« Reply #103 on: Nov 5, 2004, 01:03PM »
coilovers are illega lon any cars. Still doesnt mean u cant get them. Im sure if u were owrried about the legality of your car ud leave it stock.

I have seen Shans car through the hills (well for the bit i could keep up anyway) and it handles like a go kart. Crazy fool he is. I wouldnt go anything lower the KYBS on ny car. Pedders and Munroes are crap as. Pedders are so crap they dont even use them on their own rally car lol

Offline KNG P1N

• post whore
« Reply #104 on: Nov 5, 2004, 01:12PM »
I wouldnt go anything lower the KYBS on ny car. Pedders and Munroes are crap as. Pedders are so crap they dont even use them on their own rally car lol

well said
Playing music having fun
R.I.P, M.M 1984 - 2005

Offline PINR-31

• antrx.com junior member
  • Go-cart spec Pintara
    • R31 club
« Reply #105 on: Nov 5, 2004, 03:00PM »
I didn't mean for them to modify their struts, Reputable or performance suspension shops can do this. They send the strut away to a machine shop and get the threads welded on, then replace the shock inserts and springs with quality units (by far bette than pedders). Depends on location and businesses around but prices may vary.

I know i'm right about the camber tops, got tires with two types of tire wear on them to prove

Coilovers are only illegal because of the fact that the spring is not always seated. ie if you jack the car up the spring does not stay in position, only when the car's off it you say....well over an extreme bump where the car wants to get airborn willl the springs move out of position (they go straight back in anyway). To make them un-illegal chains or straps can be added to stop the strut moving past the release point of the springs...thats one way, or you can add low rate tender springs to act as a solid spacer when weight is applied on them but expand to fill the gap so the springs dont move about.

Why do you always worry about legalities, sheesh, anything we do to our cars nowadays is classed as illegal, sif that stops anyone.
As long as your insurance company knows about your mods and agrees to them your fine.......a debate for another topic

Browny, you haven't seen mine with the coilovers....i class it as slow before.....ask Big JON though, his supra was no match  ;D

Browny_r31

« Reply #106 on: Nov 5, 2004, 05:05PM »
ahh that is true PINR-31 i havnt seen u with coilovers yet..... it was fast b4.... ohh god. Meh i keep up with jon (as long as its not straight) and i know u whoop my butt through the hills.

Offline Loop

• Token Old Fart
  • antrx.com junkie
  • Old and busted ...
« Reply #107 on: Nov 6, 2004, 09:49AM »
I wouldnt go anything lower the KYBS on ny car.

You talking ride height or quality here?
209rwkW stock ... yes, it's a U12!!

Offline KNG P1N

• post whore
« Reply #108 on: Nov 6, 2004, 10:06AM »
my guess is quality.
Playing music having fun
R.I.P, M.M 1984 - 2005

Offline Loop

• Token Old Fart
  • antrx.com junkie
  • Old and busted ...
« Reply #109 on: Nov 6, 2004, 10:24AM »
That's what I thought, because your shocks don't do jack for ride height :)
209rwkW stock ... yes, it's a U12!!

Offline SLY-031

• antrx.com full member
  • The One and Only ;)
« Reply #110 on: Jan 11, 2005, 03:23AM »
monroe pedders are shit. good for selling your car. not much more. as browny sadi before everyone cried and he got kicked, dont go fo anything less than kyb.

Offline bungs

• post whore
« Reply #111 on: Jan 11, 2005, 03:50AM »
as browny sadi before everyone cried and he got kicked

hahaha. He left at his own free will, nobody kicked him outta here

Offline SLY-031

• antrx.com full member
  • The One and Only ;)
« Reply #112 on: Jan 11, 2005, 04:19AM »
actually before he left they kicked him.
I think it was because he own3d them hardcore and they had no decent comebacks. if u can beat em... block em. Plus i think the whole thing with him n tyne would have added to his blocking.

If he left at his own free will then why was his user blocked (and still is)? lol i think tis funny.

Offline Chadza

• antrx cruise monkey
  • post whore
  • B4 what?
« Reply #113 on: Jan 11, 2005, 07:36AM »
dont go fo anything less than kyb.

Oh fully sick kyb eh.....in terms of 'brand names' they are just as cheapo as munroe and pedders. I am not saying pedders or munroe are shit...just that kyb isn't all that much better. Do you like kyb because they come with extra stickers in the box and munroes don't? If you want PROPER shocks then go for a 'brand' like Koni, but with that comes the price which people aren't always willing to spend *just* on shocks, like me.

Chad
First a Silver TRX, then a White TRX...whats next? Game Boy-Clear style TRX?

Offline KNG P1N

• post whore
« Reply #114 on: Jan 11, 2005, 07:38AM »
this is a thread on wheels and suspension....it seems as if
a. the browny issue is being dug up again (for christ sake let it rest)
b. it is becoming repetitive in that the general consensus is not to use monroe or pedders, but rather kyb or better.

therfore this thread is now.......................... .........yep u guessed it........BLOCKED

i thank those who contributed constructivley
Playing music having fun
R.I.P, M.M 1984 - 2005

Offline noss

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • great scott!
    • antrx
« Reply #115 on: Jan 11, 2005, 08:55AM »
browny left first. we just assisted him in his promise to never return.

http://polyfedelicio.us/imgs/ - free image hosting for whatever you like