Author Topic: Defects?  (Read 4829 times)

Offline ARMASIEL

• antrx.com newbie with pewbies
Defects?
« on: May 1, 2006, 10:05PM »
I know that someone 2 years ago has probably already asked this but I noticed that alot of members seem to have removed their airboxes and added PODs which I thought was illegal? I'm not looking to point fingers coz I'd love to do the same thing but i was only game to replace the piping on my Cosrair from the airbox down LOL. So the real question is haven't you ever been defected?

Offline rathies

• I may be going to hell but I'm going in a 4BY
  • post whore
  • Patrol of Doom coming soon
Re: Defects?
« Reply #1 on: May 1, 2006, 10:07PM »
there will be information available on the internet for every state. Thats how i found out about the legalities of underbody neons etc.
I have heard of people being defected becuase thier pod filter is not properly stabilisted and can move freely. If you're piping it to the front bumper i've also heard that the filter is not allowed to vent into the atmosphere meaning you would need a pod enclosure.
Previous rides: KA24ET TRX,  2000 GUII Patrol 4.2 td, AntrxWA whore TRX owner 4/5, 99 Landrover Discovery TD5
Current Ride(s):  91 GQ Patrol ST-3 RB25DET Converted :)

Offline chr1S

• r&d team
  • post whore
« Reply #2 on: May 1, 2006, 10:13PM »
wtf, a filter can vent air ?

I wouldn't mind having a read of the laws actually. I could  be defected for something..
Don't let the opinions of the average man sway you. Dream, and he thinks you're crazy. Succeed, and he thinks you're lucky. Acquire wealth, and he thinks you're greedy. Pay no attention. He simply doesn't understand.

to be fair, it wouldn't be ANTRX if we stayed on topic.

and if someone wasn't cranky at Chr1s for something he said...

Offline ARMASIEL

« Reply #3 on: May 1, 2006, 10:14PM »
yea i've heard something similar. well thanx for the info

Offline rathies

• post whore
« Reply #4 on: May 1, 2006, 10:14PM »
the filter can't be at the front bumper right infront of the hole. It can be piped through a pretty box is what i'm tryin to say.

theres shitloads of info available on the net for all sorts of mods. just print a copy of whatever you want and keep it in the glovebox with some gloves for some gloveslappin satisfaction.
Previous rides: KA24ET TRX,  2000 GUII Patrol 4.2 td, AntrxWA whore TRX owner 4/5, 99 Landrover Discovery TD5

Offline chr1S

• r&d team
  • post whore
« Reply #5 on: May 1, 2006, 10:16PM »
why not  :(, it's where it works best.

fkn stupid laws.
Don't let the opinions of the average man sway you. Dream, and he thinks you're crazy. Succeed, and he thinks you're lucky. Acquire wealth, and he thinks you're greedy. Pay no attention. He simply doesn't understand.

Offline rathies

• post whore
« Reply #6 on: May 1, 2006, 10:17PM »
having said that the laws are different for every state so don't take solely my word for it.

Offline ARMASIEL

« Reply #7 on: May 1, 2006, 10:23PM »
Oh to be a D1 racer their idea of an air filter is a bit of chicken wire LOL

Offline Jono

• The Wise Man
  • Global Moderator
  • post whore
  • memory boy!
« Reply #8 on: May 1, 2006, 10:25PM »
But their idea of an engine's lifetime is about 5,000km if that.
#1 Post Wh0re
pringles was here!

Offline Budgie

• Dr. B Udgie - AWD FTW
  • Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12-U13
« Reply #9 on: May 1, 2006, 11:37PM »
why not  :(, it's where it works best.

fkn stupid laws.

Noise basiclly, as far as i'm aware.  N/A induction noise can be considerable... a turbo car with pod mounted outside the engine bay with mandrel piping back to the blades of a turbo can be DAMN loud.
dont piss me off with your pillarless shit captain snappy wrist

Offline chr1S

• r&d team
  • post whore
« Reply #10 on: May 1, 2006, 11:50PM »
*cough* rake  ;D

Offline bungs

• post whore
« Reply #11 on: May 2, 2006, 12:54AM »
If you're piping it to the front bumper i've also heard that the filter is not allowed to vent into the atmosphere meaning you would need a pod enclosure.

The pod filter is not allowed to be an oiled type. In SA, as long as the pod filter is secure and non oiled, then it is legal.

So the real question is haven't you ever been defected?

Yes, for my CAI (among other things) but not because my pod was down in the bumper, but because i had different piping going to my throttle body hence changing the emissions (apparantly). Only got pinged for it because it was made from pvc pipe and duct tape, lol.

Offline Kranzy

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12 - SR20DET
« Reply #12 on: May 2, 2006, 01:12AM »
I rang QLD Transport and asked about this and they said providing the emmissions are the same or better than its legal how ever you want to do it. Its just a matter of proving this to the cops i spose, as emmision tests arnt cheap.
Quote from: noss
learnt something new just then, dont eat baked bean sandwhiches while changing the paper in the copier

"Noss is GOD"

Offline eurisko

• Frankenmotor Builder
  • post whore
  • Oldschool and Newstyle
« Reply #13 on: May 2, 2006, 02:03AM »
Yes, for my CAI (among other things) but not because my pod was down in the bumper, but because i had different piping going to my throttle body hence changing the emissions (apparantly). Only got pinged for it because it was made from pvc pipe and duct tape, lol.

Hu?

Thats just plain stupid. Unless it was because of the diameter of the piping (and even then, its still debateable) there is no way the MATERIAL used is gunna change ur emissions... Unless PVC reacts with air and releases some kind of combustable gas... im quite certain he just defected u cause of the diy frankenstien cai. Lol... that just sounds funny read out loud....

In nsw unless cops can see the pod (ie not enclosed) its perfectally legal. U have to have it in a vaccum sealed box tho (in the bumper doesnt count). Non-oiled or oiled doesnt matter... Im quite certain of this...

But... they will get you on the increased noise. Thats for damned sure.

*Shakes head*

The Nissubishda will live....

Offline bungs

• post whore
« Reply #14 on: May 2, 2006, 02:48AM »
Hu?

Thats just plain stupid. Unless it was because of the diameter of the piping (and even then, its still debateable) there is no way the MATERIAL used is gunna change ur emissions... Unless PVC reacts with air and releases some kind of combustable gas... im quite certain he just defected u cause of the diy frankenstien cai. Lol... that just sounds funny read out loud....

You see, here in SA they find anything to defect you just to piss you off. When we get defected, the whole car has to be inspected, it doesn't matter if you were only done for too low or whatever, everything MUST be returned back to stock so you have a chance to pass the inspection.

1. you get defected.
2. you have anywhere from 1hour to 3 days (at the cops discretion) to drive your car.
3. you have to book an appointment for a roadworthy, our minimum wait time is at least 1 month, usually 6weeks. During this time, you're not allowed to drive your vehicle unless you're going to a place of repair OR have got an excemption from a police station when they beleive that the car is ready for a roadworthy inspection.
4. You spend countless hours fixing your car, or giving it to somebody to fix which is $$$.
5. After your 6 week wait, you go to regency (where our roadworthy place is), you pay your $80 and they inspect your car. What they usually do here is defect you for MORE things (worn bushes and other misc bullshit) and you go home on double defect, and have to wait another month for another inspection.
6. You go back after your wait, and you pay another $50. If you've done all the things on the form then they will pass you, if not, the cycle continues.
7. You get off defect, go home, put the bits you got defected for on again.

No such things as mod plates here either.

So as you can see, the cops are pricks to us because they know how much bullshit it is.

Offline Sticky

• Bad Luck Magnet
  • qld local moderator
  • post whore
« Reply #15 on: May 2, 2006, 02:20PM »
I rang QLD Transport and asked about this and they said providing the emmissions are the same or better than its legal how ever you want to do it. Its just a matter of proving this to the cops i spose, as emmision tests arnt cheap.

i got defected for my pod a while back, because it wasnt secure. i had a chat with the copper about it, and he told me that pods are a-ok as long as the are well secured and not the oiled veriety.

Noise basiclly, as far as i'm aware.  N/A induction noise can be considerable... a turbo car with pod mounted outside the engine bay with mandrel piping back to the blades of a turbo can be DAMN loud.

ive noticed with my car, now that the boost is up more, is that the induction noise is far louder, and sometimes sounds like it is drowning out the exhaust note

The best engine in the world is the vagina, it takes any size piston, its self lubricating, starts with 1 finger, and every 4 weeks does its own oil change. It's just a pity the management system is so f**king temperamental.

The Human Torch was denied a bank loan

Offline Jono

• The Wise Man
  • Global Moderator
  • post whore
  • memory boy!
« Reply #16 on: May 2, 2006, 10:13PM »
i got defected for my pod a while back, because it wasnt secure
pods are a-ok as long as the are well secured and not the oiled veriety.

Yours is the oiled variety, Stick.
#1 Post Wh0re
pringles was here!

Offline Sticky

• Bad Luck Magnet
  • qld local moderator
  • post whore
« Reply #17 on: May 2, 2006, 11:32PM »
indeed i know that, the friendly copper didnt

The best engine in the world is the vagina, it takes any size piston, its self lubricating, starts with 1 finger, and every 4 weeks does its own oil change. It's just a pity the management system is so f**king temperamental.

Offline ARMASIEL

« Reply #18 on: May 3, 2006, 09:43PM »
Yea I was thinking of removing the air box altogether but that would be a bit obvious I suppose...

Offline eurisko

• Frankenmotor Builder
  • post whore
  • Oldschool and Newstyle
« Reply #19 on: May 4, 2006, 01:06AM »
Yea I was thinking of removing the air box altogether but that would be a bit obvious I suppose...

And replace it with......  ???

Offline Resin

• i have 5 studs
  • nsw local moderator
  • post whore
    • Gardening Forum
« Reply #20 on: May 4, 2006, 01:26PM »

In nsw unless cops can see the pod (ie not enclosed) its perfectally legal. U have to have it in a vaccum sealed box tho (in the bumper doesnt count). Non-oiled or oiled doesnt matter... Im quite certain of this...

how does that work ..? ...if the box is vaccum sealed how is the air goina get to it? :P hahahahaha

i think it just has to be a box similar to the stock setup (which is still open to the atmos but)

Offline eurisko

• Frankenmotor Builder
  • post whore
  • Oldschool and Newstyle
« Reply #21 on: May 4, 2006, 02:09PM »
...if the box is vaccum sealed how is the air goina get to it? :P hahahahaha

i think it just has to be a box similar to the stock setup (which is still open to the atmos but)

Hahaha yeah exactly. Normal air boxes are vaccum sealed (just like in a vaccum cleaner), thats why they have rubber surrounds where they seal. Basically, they can only have one inlet, and one outlet. Exposed pods get air from *almost* every angle. that means air can get in from one part, and escape the other.

Pfftt... i dunno why they have a hissy fit about it tho... the engines sucking force is DAMNED big... i doubt any air will escape.

Offline Rake

• vrrrmm sssssh pstch
  • antrx cruise monkey
  • post whore
  • quack
    • http://www.tldr.com.au
« Reply #22 on: May 4, 2006, 04:17PM »
Whatever the engine needs, will be sucked up through the filter and piping.

Who cares if some air 'escapes' the pod. It's not like the car is going to die of oxygen starvation.

Offline eurisko

• Frankenmotor Builder
  • post whore
  • Oldschool and Newstyle
« Reply #23 on: May 4, 2006, 04:20PM »
Hahahaahah the EPA and RTA apparently care!  :P

Hence why exposed pods are illegal.

*Shrugs* stupid laws in general.

Offline Craazy

• Resident Attesa Driver
  • antrx cruise monkey
  • post whore
  • Lovin it long time
« Reply #24 on: May 4, 2006, 06:45PM »
dunno where you heard that exposed pods were illegal, but down here in vic, the only stipulations are that if you install a pod filter it must be of the non oiled variety. and second that you are only allowed one intake modification, so either adding a pod filter or adding an intercooler.

take that as you will. as for the EPA part, its not as bad as what you are all making it out to be. check the regulations and you'll be amazed at what you can actually do legally.

the escaping air from a pod is only going to be air in any case...... as it has not passed through any intake piping and hasnt even made it anywhere near the injectors or spark plugs...... so that would be a case of someone making up bullshit to make a dumbass believe it.

i have had my car pass an EPA test with a pod and be told it was fine to have it there, being fully exposed too. the part that they have said about is the induction noise, but they cant test this in a stationary test. only in a motion test, but no one gets any of these tests done but the new car manufacturers.

but yeah, check it out for yourselves, or even better go to an EPA office to get the facts as that is where it is determined

The Time Has Come To Battle It Out To The Death... SR24 vs KA24

The bluey must be revived to Life!!

Offline Sticky

• Bad Luck Magnet
  • qld local moderator
  • post whore
« Reply #25 on: May 4, 2006, 11:16PM »
dunno where you heard that exposed pods were illegal, but down here in vic, the only stipulations are that if you install a pod filter it must be of the non oiled variety.

Same with up here in QLD, non oiled and Secured correctly