Author Topic: Temp sender thread size  (Read 3911 times)

Tub

Temp sender thread size
« on: Feb 2, 2004, 09:09AM »
I have an '88 Pintara wagon - best value for money car i've ever owned! The problem is that the temp guage isn't working. I don't know whether the sender or the guage itself is the problem, but rather than spending $90 od dollars to buy a new sender and then finding out that it's something else entirely I'd rather install a mechanical gauge that I already have ( the kind that Kmart sells).

I need to know the threaD Size on the original sender OR where I can get an adaptor that will allow the mech sender to be inserted. As it stands, the mech sender and fitting are too long to fit into the head (and there's no little "lip" in the head for the sender to seat itself against).

Any Ideas???

Tub

89tipintara

Re: Temp sender thread size
« Reply #1 on: Feb 2, 2004, 11:20AM »
take your sensors out. if they are blackened then give them a light sand. there may be a red and black one. thats what i did but i have a different car. i have ka24 so may be different, but the principle should be the same.

Offline aussie-gli

• post whore
  • CA20E GLi (1998 -> 2008) U12 TRX (2020 -> ...)
« Reply #2 on: Feb 2, 2004, 07:10PM »
Just get urself a new sender from 'pinch a part'...  :P
Lisa: Dad, we did something very bad! Homer: Did you wreck the car? Bart: No. Homer: Did you raise the dead? Lisa: Yes. Homer: But the car's okay? Bart & Lisa: Uh-huh. Homer: All right then.

Tub

« Reply #3 on: Feb 3, 2004, 08:44PM »
I suspect the sensor may not be the problem, and besides, wreckers are reluctant to remove a sensor from a head.

A description of the thread would be really, really useful!!!

Tub

Offline emuisme

• antrx.com full member
  • Slack kid on the block
« Reply #4 on: Mar 16, 2004, 10:24PM »
Stray thought...... at the risk of making a fool of myself, why don't you take the sender unit to a fitter and turner and get them to work out what thread it is?  you might even be able to get them to give you a qote on turning up an adaptor, or recomend where you can get one off the shelf.  or, if you can, lay your hands on a set of thread gauges and a vener caliper and work it out.  I think nissans usually use metric thread types, but to be perfectly honest I really don't have a clue.
I spent my money on sothern comfort and speeding fines, the rest I wasted.

Born to drive, forced to work!

Offline JIMB0

• antrx.com junkie
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2004, 02:40AM »
it looks to be a 10mm thread. The normal pitch on a 10mm thread is 1.5mm. That is 1.5mm from thread top to thread top.

Offline vector

• antrx.com junkie
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2004, 12:40PM »
why not goto a hardware shop and find a nut that fits?

"Until the philosophy which hold one race superior and another inferior is finally discredited and abandoned...WAR! So that is prophecy, and everyone know that is truth. And it came out of the mouth of Rastafari"

Offline Pringles

• antrx.com baked not fried
  • post whore
  • ;-) check me out !
« Reply #7 on: Aug 26, 2004, 07:28PM »
theres a lot of 'nuts' out there, also grab a gregorys manual it may tell you,
Check out the Brown Couch !
the ole Nissan caught a cold... puachtuuu..!
i lost a testicle while shaving my scrotum
Jono wasn't here!

Offline JIMB0

• antrx.com junkie
« Reply #8 on: Aug 26, 2004, 08:12PM »
Get a 10mm thread. Drill and tap the inside out to what ever size you mechanical senders thread is. It's probably 6mm or 8mm. Now you have an adaptor.