Author Topic: Opinions on new motor build  (Read 2376 times)

Offline ZEXTCY

• antrx.com junkie
  • I dare ya
Opinions on new motor build
« on: Oct 8, 2009, 03:52PM »
Hey guys

As you know i've just bought a U13 ATTESSA with SR20 in it which i plan to do some work on

I was originally going to get car resprayed first but i've come across a couple of unused performance parts for an SR20 that i just can't go past

Thanks to U13 Altima i have sourced a fully ported and polished GTiR cylinder head for the build. Currently has standard GTiR cams and rockers etc in it but i have heard the rockers in these motors are there weakpoint so was wondering if anyone here knows of anything to replace these units

Cam wise i want to put some aftermarkets in there also, anyone know or heard of a decent set of cams that work well in these motors?

I have also been looking at 2.4 stroker kit from the US but was wondering what your thoughts are on this with high boosted motor as i have heard if you want motors to rev then it's better to have shorter strokes. Would the 2.2 kit be a better option or am i better off leaving as a 2.0L

Pretty much what i'm asking is your thoughts on a decent build for an SR motor

I'm only going to do this once so want to do it right the FIRST time

My thoughts at moment:

Aftermarket cams (tomei, hks, greddy or something similar)
Cam gear sprockets
Stroker kit (fully forged internals)
High mount turbo kit (known brand not cheap ass crap)
New 100mm front mount kit
Intake plenum (of some description)
Injectors
ECU
etc etc

Any input appreciated, been a while since i've been around Jap cars so technology has changed a lot since then
What is the point of a signature, who REALLY reads it??

Offline JelloBello

• Attesa Driver
  • west oz local moderator
  • post whore
  • Got Pastie?
Re: Opinions on new motor build
« Reply #1 on: Oct 8, 2009, 09:54PM »
Well, if it were me I'd be looking at pretty much everything you've listed.

First up, to get the gti-r head on I think you need to drill out the head stud holes on the block, as gti-r ones are 1-2mm larger in diameter. Although I think it's worth the effort for the solid lifters.

Stroker-wise i'd be looking at tomei or brian crower, there's actually a tomei 2.2L kit on PGA atm: http://forum.pulsar.org.au/showthread.php?t=84446&highlight=tomei

I'd probably just leave it at 2.2l, otherwise you're going to need sleeving and from what I can tell things start getting quite expensive.

Cams, really depend on your turbo choice I guess - Ideally step 2 cams with new springs to suit, any of the brands you listed would be ace.

the turbo... this is obviously the biggest decision you have to make. Either a lag monster dyno queen or a quick responsive street car( or anywhere inbetween). I'd be looking straight past any t28 size trubo and more towards something like a gt3076r or even a gt35 variant, with external gate. I think it would be safe to say that even the gt35 would be very streetable with the 2.2l and a decent set of cams.

Only other thing I'll mention is the gearbox. Notoriously weak on both attesa's and gti-r's. There are aftermarket options which can get quite pricey (trust me I know!). Namely PAR and PPG both offer much stronger gearsets. With the sort of power you'd no doubt end up making a stronger box is pretty much a necessity.

1994 u13 SSS Attesa ftw. Project thread here
13.876 @ 98.83mph

Offline ZEXTCY

• antrx.com junkie
  • I dare ya
« Reply #2 on: Oct 9, 2009, 03:18AM »
Love look of Brian Crower gear :)

Anyone heard what the K1/Carrillo cranks are like?
I know Carrillo bought K1 out but not sure on quality of there gear

Plus Pauter rods, anyone heard anything on them?

I ask as was sent link to this company and if you have look under Nissan stroker kits they have quite decent priced kit

http://www.importperformanceparts.net/

These kits have same cubic capacity as Brian Crower kits and they can spool a T88 GReddy turbo up at 4000rpm which is bloody unimaginable to me  lol

Really does let you have pic of turbos when stroking out to nearly 2.4 doesn't it  ;D
What is the point of a signature, who REALLY reads it??

Offline chr1S

• r&d team
  • post whore
« Reply #3 on: Nov 4, 2009, 02:23PM »
Even though I only build Honda motors at this point, I don't look past Brian Crower.

I've seen carillo's fail in a recent scenario, so don't think they're the bees knees either. I'm positive the BC's would of held up to the task. Look at the states, BC's run the import scene.

Carillo is best for old school v8 pushrod bullshit.
Don't let the opinions of the average man sway you. Dream, and he thinks you're crazy. Succeed, and he thinks you're lucky. Acquire wealth, and he thinks you're greedy. Pay no attention. He simply doesn't understand.

to be fair, it wouldn't be ANTRX if we stayed on topic.

and if someone wasn't cranky at Chr1s for something he said...