Author Topic: Cold start, shuttering  (Read 3574 times)

Offline edals90

• antrx.com newbie with pewbies
Cold start, shuttering
« on: Aug 8, 2008, 10:01PM »
Hi Guys.

I have searched around the forum for this problem, but can't seem to get a answer.

I have a 87 Pintara GXE Auto. When the car is first start in the morning, it needs a bit of throttle to kick it over, other wise it just takes ages to kick over, Main problem is that when it is first started and going, if you accelerate to fast, the car just shutters, but slowly accelerate its fine. It sounds like the car is not getting enough air flow, But the car performs fine when its at normal operating Temp. The plugs, leads, Coils, Dizzy cap and rotor are quite new, Suspect they are fine as the car is fine when warm. I have found there is a Airflow adjustment screw on the Airflow meter box, but, what way does it turn to adjust? Its not such a drama, as i ride every day (its a rainy Day car). but it does get annoying and i am the kind of person that has to fix things.

Any Idea's would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Offline snailman

• GOC 180' man
  • antrx.com senior member
  • 1994 U13 SSS BLUEY
Re: Cold start, shuttering
« Reply #1 on: Aug 8, 2008, 11:14PM »
maybe the starter motor needs something done to it? sorry i'm not able to help you out more but dont fret, some of the guys on this forum know alot more than i do good luck mate
loves doing 180's up great ocean road... not!

Offline rathies

• I may be going to hell but I'm going in a 4BY
  • post whore
  • Patrol of Doom coming soon
« Reply #2 on: Aug 9, 2008, 04:52AM »
you may have dropped a cylinder..wether it be injector or spark plug. when you first start the engine feel each exhaust runner before it gets too hot and make sure they are all warm.
Previous rides: KA24ET TRX,  2000 GUII Patrol 4.2 td, AntrxWA whore TRX owner 4/5, 99 Landrover Discovery TD5
Current Ride(s):  91 GQ Patrol ST-3 RB25DET Converted :)

Offline wombat

• antrx.com junkie
  • Sleep... What's that?
« Reply #3 on: Aug 9, 2008, 08:35AM »
I've got a similar problem in my 89 GLi Manual.

Are all 8 plugs connected properly - I crossed two leads and that sort of thing happened.

Could also be a vacuum leak meaning that the timing doesn't advance. Check all the small (about half a centimetre) hoses that run from the inlet manifold.
I'm so far behind at work, I'm almost retro!

Offline edals90

« Reply #4 on: Aug 9, 2008, 11:41AM »
I have had a Lookie around,
All the leads are connected correctly.
All cylenders are working, both exhausts are heating up evenly. But while i was looking, i found that i could here and smell exhasts coming out in the engine bay, Found after the Headers, down to the exhast pipes, there is a leak, meaning a big crack in the join, So i am guessing this maybe the issue here, the whole exhast system looks like it would need to be replaced. This might explain why its fine when its hot, it has expanded the crack and sealing it back up. Possible ?

Offline wombat

• antrx.com junkie
  • Sleep... What's that?
« Reply #5 on: Aug 9, 2008, 02:34PM »
Could be. That'd throw the Exhaust Gas Oxygen sensor (wire that plugs into exhaust manifold) out.
I'm so far behind at work, I'm almost retro!

Offline edals90

« Reply #6 on: Aug 13, 2008, 07:04PM »
Well today was interesting. Maybe some more clues, I went to leave work this afternoom, and took about 5 mins to get the car going, It was just refusing to start, starter was turning the motor but nothing felt to be firing, then it did and seemed like it was on 1 cylender lol, then it died, left for a min, tried again, then started to kick, then finally all were firing lol. So i really dont know whats going on with it now lol. Might be time to start looking at a new car, to many things to fix on it now. Thanks for your input everyone :)
if anyone has more thoughts, please let me know :)