Author Topic: Spring Choices - Tokico Struts  (Read 3988 times)

Offline cybersimon

• antrx.com junior member
  • 96 u13 bluebird LX
Spring Choices - Tokico Struts
« on: Jul 28, 2008, 09:57PM »
Hey,

After some research, mainly on this board, I decided to replace my worn out u13 struts with some Tokico ones, which I received from the US today (cost $500 all up, for anyone interested). Now I need some advice on what springs to use with these struts, as I'd obviously prefer to get it right the first time. The way I see it I've got 3 options:

Option 1.
Use the original springs. My car has done about 160,000kms on the shocks and springs that are in it now, so are the springs likely to be worn out and sagging? or should they be ok?
The car definitely floats around corners too much at the moment, but I'm not sure if that would be more attributed to the shocks than the springs. If the original springs are most likely still good then I'd probably just use them.

Option 2.
Lowered King springs. I have read that these perform quite well in the u13 handling wise, but to what extent is the ride comfort affected? I really don't want to compromise too much on the smoothness of the ride, as I drive a fair distance each day on some not-so-great roads.

Option 3.
New standard height springs. Can anyone recommend some standard height springs that have worked well for them? My first choice again would probably be king springs. 

Would be great to see peoples opinions/experiences on this. I'll be sure to post the results when the suspension is all installed.
BTW I've got stock wheels, 15", 205 wide.

Offline Kranzy

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12 - SR20DET
Re: Spring Choices - Tokico Struts
« Reply #1 on: Jul 28, 2008, 10:06PM »
I would recommend king low springs. Will improve the look and handling of the car without it being too harsh of a ride for you. Especially running on 15" wheels you wont feel a massive difference in terms of harshness.

In terms of brands of springs to use i run kings and havnt had an issue. Some people would prefer lovell springs, apparently they're a higher spring rating but I cant confirm that. In terms of a good general spring kings are more than worth it.
Quote from: noss
learnt something new just then, dont eat baked bean sandwhiches while changing the paper in the copier

"Noss is GOD"

Offline B4

• antrx.com full member
  • Nothing a 50round burst won't fix
    • My Site
« Reply #2 on: Jul 28, 2008, 10:30PM »
you could look into H&R springs.

Offline slim

• post whore
  • Nissan Bluebird SSS 1996 ®
    • Pictures
« Reply #3 on: Jul 28, 2008, 11:37PM »
Im using whiteline.
They did lower the car at the rear more so than the front, althou not to much extent, so ride height doesnt change much.

Handling wise it goes great and comfort is still good. I have a dodgy back at the moment and its not been affected.

Original springs are a softer ride and smaller diameter.
I know whiteline are larger diameter and of greater strength ( higher spring rate)

The way i see it you've spent $500 on great shocks so don't go the cheap way and leave the OEM in.

Spend the bit extra, it will be worth it.
  • Bosch HID Kit, Clear Side & Front Indicators + Bulbs
  • B&M Shortshifter
  • JVC DVD Touchscreen 5.1 Surround Sound
  • Full Whiteline Kit
  • Tokico Shocks
¤ slim's 1996 SSS Bluebird Project Thread

Offline cybersimon

• 96 u13 bluebird LX
« Reply #4 on: Jul 29, 2008, 09:57PM »
Thanks for the input guys.
You're right slim, it does make sense to get some good springs to go with the shocks, so I guess I just have to decide which ones.

Any idea how the whiteline springs compare to the king springs? i.e. Do they lower it more or less and are they stiffer? And roughly how much they cost?

Offline Marty

• west oz local moderator
  • post whore
  • *no car :(*
« Reply #5 on: Aug 11, 2008, 09:10PM »
who did you buy the shocks off?
I still need to get some, the KYBs have been noisy in the rear ever since I bought the car :) 3 yrs ago

and I'd assume whiteline would be better than king, but thats just going on reputation, not facts. cause whiteline can be pretty shit at times. like their rear swaybar holes are actually drilled really badly, grrr. :)
« Last Edit: Aug 11, 2008, 09:12PM by Marty »
Wanneroo (Barbagallos) short track time 63 seconds (58 - Evo) long track 79 (69 - Evo)
Mods - Bosch 910 fuel pump, Nismo 555cc injectors, Z32 AFM, USB Bikirom, Full Whiteline Handling Kit, DBA Rotors, Tomei Poncams + GT2871. (174ahkw)

Offline cybersimon

• 96 u13 bluebird LX
« Reply #6 on: Aug 11, 2008, 09:23PM »
I ended up getting a set of lovells lowered springs and fitting them and the Tokico struts over the weekend. I went for the lovells mainly because the guy at the local suspension place recommended them over whiteline and they were cheaper.
Overall I'm pretty happy with the results. Handling is excellent now, the car is much more easy to control, body roll has basically disappeared, and braking is improved.
The only thing I've noticed is the front bottoms out sometimes on sharp bumps. There doesn't appear to be any such problem with the rear. Also the springs make the car sit a bit lower in the front than the back, possibly a bit too low.
How does this compare to other peoples experiences? I'd be particularly interested to hear if the whiteline springs tend to bottom out every now and then like these ones do.

Just to give an idea of the ride height, heres a before pic:

And with the lowered springs:

Offline JelloBello

• Attesa Driver
  • west oz local moderator
  • post whore
  • Got Pastie?
« Reply #7 on: Aug 11, 2008, 09:33PM »
yeh, i've got whiteline springs on standard shocks

I get occasionally bottom out over big bumps - but i think this has a lot to do with the shit house shocks. Slim has whiteline on tokio's and from the ride or two i've had it feels alot smoother and nicer then my setup!

how mine sits:

1994 u13 SSS Attesa ftw. Project thread here
13.876 @ 98.83mph

Offline cybersimon

• 96 u13 bluebird LX
« Reply #8 on: Aug 11, 2008, 09:40PM »
who did you buy the shocks off?
I bought them on ebay from "jdmwerks13". Do a search on there for "altima struts tokico" and you should see the listing.
The guy isn't very good at responding to emails, but he was quick to send the struts to me after I paid. I think it took about a week and a half, and you get a tracking number to see where they are  :)

Offline slim

• post whore
  • Nissan Bluebird SSS 1996 ®
    • Pictures
« Reply #9 on: Aug 13, 2008, 07:42AM »
I thought someone had taken a snap off my car during the week. ( You need clear front and side indicators, seriously)
The bodyroll and braking were the first thing i noticed aswell.
The ride height looks the same. Bottoming out only happened on a big speed bump i didnt see and drove over at 70kph.
Jamie your car bodyrolls too much.
  • Bosch HID Kit, Clear Side & Front Indicators + Bulbs
  • B&M Shortshifter
  • JVC DVD Touchscreen 5.1 Surround Sound
  • Full Whiteline Kit
  • Tokico Shocks
¤ slim's 1996 SSS Bluebird Project Thread