Author Topic: U13 Bluebird upgrades  (Read 13717 times)

Offline EFGohan

• antrx.com junior member
U13 Bluebird upgrades
« on: Apr 19, 2008, 07:19PM »
my 1st post here

ok i got my missus(AKA Nissangirl i think its her name here?) U13 LX due to my EF Fairmont got wiped out by a VAN! and she has authorise me to upgrade it which would include cat back xorst and pod only real prob i ran in2 is the factory airbox with the MAF and i want to run the pod inside the airbox so the hot air dont degrade performance how big should i go and need a adapta for it?

on the xorst side thinking 2 1/2 cat back with a Cannon well i cant hear the KA24DE run only when i rev it until 4 grand on the taco as i say 'ahhh more power more power' i dont wanna go that insane with the mods maybe a rear wing aswell as i cant see the ass of it
'Game over man Game over'

Offline EFGohan

Re: U13 Bluebird upgrades
« Reply #1 on: Apr 27, 2008, 04:26PM »
so no1 knows wat i have to do to run a pod in an airbox?

Offline P-Unit

• antrx.com full member
« Reply #2 on: Apr 27, 2008, 06:01PM »
if you want the car to go faster, and its the car in your avatar, put on some wheels with the same rolling radius, that will make a huge difference, also unaerodynamic kits dont help cars go quicker.

Offline Marty

• west oz local moderator
  • post whore
  • *no car :(*
« Reply #3 on: Apr 27, 2008, 08:00PM »
neither do neons ;)

you'll probably need to custom make (hack) the airbox to make it fit, I'm sure someone on here will eventually post up something,
I know Slim has just put a Pod on his, not sure if its Cai though.

2 1/2 inch exhaust is probably just right too, not sure on the cannon though, might get too loud.
« Last Edit: Apr 27, 2008, 08:04PM by -=| Marty |=- »
Wanneroo (Barbagallos) short track time 63 seconds (58 - Evo) long track 79 (69 - Evo)
Mods - Bosch 910 fuel pump, Nismo 555cc injectors, Z32 AFM, USB Bikirom, Full Whiteline Handling Kit, DBA Rotors, Tomei Poncams + GT2871. (174ahkw)

Offline slim

• post whore
  • Nissan Bluebird SSS 1996 ®
    • Pictures
« Reply #4 on: Apr 28, 2008, 12:28AM »
I know Slim has just put a Pod on his, not sure if its Cai though.

It gets air from behind the left indicator. As opposed to OEM sucking air from behind the headlight.
AND CAI i say yes. You can decide.
Injen supposedly makes a intake kit from the Throttle body. Have alook

1st upgrade should be suspension, but thats me  ;)
  • Bosch HID Kit, Clear Side & Front Indicators + Bulbs
  • B&M Shortshifter
  • JVC DVD Touchscreen 5.1 Surround Sound
  • Full Whiteline Kit
  • Tokico Shocks
¤ slim's 1996 SSS Bluebird Project Thread

Offline EFGohan

« Reply #5 on: Apr 29, 2008, 11:20PM »
personly i'd rather my Falcon to the bluebird in the intake side so simple

well the xorst is gonna be 2 inch cat back the cannon is a muffler aswell so it may be lil louder than stock but unsure though not on yet lol

inside the airbox is internal bracing if thats wat u wanna call it i hear theres an adaptor for pods that bolt on the MAF and stuff like that but i want to keep the hot air out cool air in

Offline EFGohan

« Reply #6 on: May 8, 2008, 10:57PM »
well the Xorst is on done it from Reso back with 2 inch and the cannon muffler tell u wat it sounds louder and deeper like a SR20DE they had to custom make the pipe due to doin up Bluebirds are not common

i know this has been asked 10000 times how big can i go with Rims i know 18s would be way to big on a tiny car 17s would fit

Offline BILL*69

• is on LPG...
  • post whore
  • Off Defect Finally..
« Reply #7 on: May 8, 2008, 11:00PM »
A few people have had 18's on their U12's....

Im not sure if anyone has 18's on their U13, but i know alot have 17's..
mr 4ut0m4t1c d0r1fft0000 p1nny 0n ga5 w17h cu5t0m u13h su8w00f3r!
When i'm cruisin' wit my bitches and G's ready to pop a cap in the ass of some fool who thinks he's bank by takin' my corner of the block....  ::)

Offline Unbalanced_

• antrx.com junkie
  • U13 owner once again!
    • http://www.myspace.com/unbalanced_
« Reply #8 on: May 9, 2008, 12:15AM »
17s is the largest you can do legally...
My car history:
'88 Toyota Camry - Engine Died
'85 Toyota Corona - Engine Died
'82 Nissan Bluebird - Write Off
'88 Toyota Camry (same one as before) - Trans Died
'94 Nissan Bluebird LX - SOLD
'88 Toyota Hilux - Handed over to dad and now residing in Perth
'84 Nissan R30 Skyline - SOLD
'99 Nissan Stagea RS4-S - SOLD

Current rides:
'99 Mazda FD RX7 - Lots of fun, but currently up for sale
'95 Nissan Bluebird LX - Current sedate daily
'85 Suzuki GSXR250 - Motorbikes are fun! :)

Offline Kranzy

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12 - SR20DET
« Reply #9 on: May 9, 2008, 12:22AM »
No its not.

17inch rims are legal.

Using this tyre calculator http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

and this as a guide for qld... http://www.transport.qld.gov.au/resources/file/eb57c508de5dea8/Modification_jan05v2.pdf

The rim diameter may be varied from the standard size
but the overall diameter of the tyre must not vary by
more than +15mm or -26mm.

and

The maximum tyre width for a car or car derivative must
not be more than 1.3 times the vehicle manufacturer’s
widest optional tyre.

Doing some quick calculations you can have a 235/40/17" tyre legally.

Using that same thing as a guide you will be able to find an 18" wheel tyre package that is legal.

Hardest thing with 18s being legal is the width of them, not the diameter.
« Last Edit: May 9, 2008, 12:25AM by Kranzy »
Quote from: noss
learnt something new just then, dont eat baked bean sandwhiches while changing the paper in the copier

"Noss is GOD"

Offline cruizer

• post whore
« Reply #10 on: May 9, 2008, 12:53AM »
Well if you get most rims from places like Bob Jane or Tempe tyres they have shitty widths anyways...18 x 7" ftl

Offline BILL*69

• is on LPG...
  • post whore
  • Off Defect Finally..
« Reply #11 on: May 9, 2008, 01:20AM »
Again Kranz, depends what state. Unbalanced is technically correct, because he is in SA, Transport SA enforce that all road legal cars can have wheels no larger than 2 inches bigger in diameter.

Is the U13 also 14" wheel stock, or 15" wheel?
When i'm cruisin' wit my bitches and G's ready to pop a cap in the ass of some fool who thinks he's bank by takin' my corner of the block....  ::)

Offline Kranzy

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12 - SR20DET
« Reply #12 on: May 9, 2008, 01:43AM »
Im about to go to bed so Im not going to find it now, but what your saying cannot be true.

Reason for this is using the U12 Trx as an example.

Stock wheel 195x65xR15

Wheel 2" bigger, so 17" using 225x55xR17 tyres would be legal even though it throws your speedo out by 7.1%?

Im sorry to say it but they need to have specific guidelines so that your speedo is not out a certain amount, and your brakes and steering still works effectively. Search around the SA transport website, if they're like the other states they will have a pdf guide to modifying. And you will find that it will be very similar to what i have listed for QLD as Vic and NSW is very similar also.

learnt something new just then, dont eat baked bean sandwhiches while changing the paper in the copier

"Noss is GOD"

Offline slim

• post whore
  • Nissan Bluebird SSS 1996 ®
    • Pictures
« Reply #13 on: May 9, 2008, 02:38AM »
Give me a week and im testing to see how Lukas, Secluded, rims 18" will fit on my U13.
Shall let you all know after next weekend.

U13 have 205/60R15 as stock fitment.
  • Bosch HID Kit, Clear Side & Front Indicators + Bulbs
  • B&M Shortshifter
  • JVC DVD Touchscreen 5.1 Surround Sound
  • Full Whiteline Kit
  • Tokico Shocks
¤ slim's 1996 SSS Bluebird Project Thread

Offline Kranzy

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12 - SR20DET
« Reply #14 on: May 9, 2008, 10:08AM »
Quote from: SA Vehicle Modification Guide
WHEELS AND TYRES

All wheels and tyres fitted must comply with the Road Traffic (Miscellaneous) Regulations 1999.
The main points to note are:-

(a) The wheel track must not be increased by more than 26mm beyond the maximum specified by the
vehicle manufacturer. Maximum allowable tracks for individual vehicle models can be obtained from
Transport SA. The wheel track is the distance measured across the vehicle from the centre-line of one
tyre to the centre-line of the other tyre on the same axle.
  Regarding Width

(b) The wheels and tyres must not foul the body, suspension or any part of the vehicle under any operating
conditions and must not project beyond the bodywork, when the wheels are in the straight ahead
position and viewed from above.

(c) It is recommended that the tyres fitted to an axle of a vehicle must be of the same carcass construction.
The tyre size designation of tyres fitted to an axle is required to be the same.

(d) The tyres fitted must be suitable for the rim. The tyre retailer should have information about matching
tyres and rims.

(e) The load rating of the tyres must be adequate for the vehicle. ADR 24 vehicles (manufactured on or
after 1/1/73) have this information listed on the tyre placard. The load rating of any tyre fitted must not
be less than lowest load rating listed on the placard. For vehicles manufactured before 1/1/73 the tyres
Transport SA

September 2003 Modifications to Passenger Cars, Car Type Utilities and Panel Vans Page 14 of 25
must have a load carrying capacity equal to or greater than those supplied as standard equipment by the
vehicle manufacturer.

(f) Spacers are not permitted between the hub and wheel (unless originally fitted by the manufacturer)

(g) If the wheels of a vehicle are retained by multiple nuts or set screws, not by splines and a single nut,
then the wheel nuts must match the tapered holes in the wheel and the nuts must be engaged for their
full depth of thread.

(h) Wheels that have been widened by inserting a spacer band are not permitted.

(i) Vehicles manufactured on or after 1 January 1973 (ADR 24) are not permitted to increase or decrease
the diameter of the wheel by more than 50 mm than the largest or smallest wheel listed on the tyre
placard.
  Regarding Wheel Diameter

(j) The overall diameter of a wheel and tyre fitted to a vehicle manufactured on or after 1 January 1973
(ADR 24) must not be more than 15 mm greater than the largest tyre size listed on the tyre placard and
not more than 15 mm less than the smallest tyre size listed on the placard. Specifications for overall
tyre diameters are listed in the Tyre and Rim Standards Manual, issued by the Tyre and Rim
Association of Australia.
Regarding overall Diameter

(k) Vehicles manufactured prior to 1 January 1973 are not required to comply with (i) and (j) above
however consideration must be given to clearance of the tyres and wheels on suspension and body
components.

(l) Passenger cars manufactured on or after 1/7/88 must also comply with ADR 18/.. that stipulates that the
speedometer must indicate the actual vehicle speed, for all speeds above 40 kilometres per hour to an
accuracy of plus or minus 10 percent.

When selecting aftermarket wheel rims for a motor vehicle, ensure that the offset of the rim does not vary by
more than 13mm from the original rim fitted by the vehicle manufacturer. This will ensure that the wheel
track is not increased by more than 26mm beyond the maximum specified by the vehicle manufacturer.
Transport SA has a list of maximum allowable wheel tracks for a large variety of vehicles and can be consulted
to confirm if a wheel track is within acceptable limits.

Wheel rims fitted to passenger cars manufactured after 1st July 1985, which are not original equipment or an
original equipment replacement by the vehicle manufacturer must be indelibly marked with the wheels nominal
diameter, width and offset and with identification of the manufacturer of the wheel and the standard to which
the wheel was manufactured. This should be checked before the wheels are purchased.

Tyres fitted to a vehicle must have a tread pattern at least 1.5 millimetres deep on all parts of the tyre that
normally come into contact with the road surface. Tyres are manufactured with tread wear indicators that are
located in the tyre grooves in at least four points around the circumference of the tyre. If the tread wear
indicators are at the same level as the overall tread, or there is less than 1.5 millimetres of tread depth on the
tyre, then the tyre is considered to be illegal.

Tyres fitted to passenger cars may not be treated by recutting or re-grooving of the tread unless the tyre is
constructed to do so and marked as such.

http://www.transport.sa.gov.au/rss/content/safer_vehicles/vehicle_modification_guide.htm  - Downloaded the guide from here. I had to save it as when i previewed it in the web browser you wont get all the pages.

It shows that SA does have a guideline that a wheel cannot be more than 50mm larger diameter than standard and an overall difference with tyres of +- 15mm from the largest and smallest stock sizes.

So technically 17" rims would also be illegal as 15" + 50mm = 16.9685"

So yes I was wrong about the 2" larger law but was correct in saying there has to be more guidelines than just that.

"Noss is GOD"

Offline Unbalanced_

• antrx.com junkie
  • U13 owner once again!
    • http://www.myspace.com/unbalanced_
« Reply #15 on: May 9, 2008, 06:50PM »
Aww jeez - what have i started!? lol
My car history:
'88 Toyota Camry - Engine Died
'85 Toyota Corona - Engine Died
'82 Nissan Bluebird - Write Off
'88 Toyota Camry (same one as before) - Trans Died
'94 Nissan Bluebird LX - SOLD
'88 Toyota Hilux - Handed over to dad and now residing in Perth
'84 Nissan R30 Skyline - SOLD
'99 Nissan Stagea RS4-S - SOLD

Current rides:
'99 Mazda FD RX7 - Lots of fun, but currently up for sale
'95 Nissan Bluebird LX - Current sedate daily
'85 Suzuki GSXR250 - Motorbikes are fun! :)

Offline BILL*69

• is on LPG...
  • post whore
  • Off Defect Finally..
« Reply #16 on: May 9, 2008, 06:51PM »
You proved me right and wrong Kranz  ;D

Offline EFGohan

« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2008, 11:45PM »
correction Unbalanced_           Wat have i done!

then U13 that i drive has 15s on it already so the legal size is 17s. I think in Victoria where i am u can go up 2 sizes so the base car has say 16s they can have 18s or 19s depends but 19s on a U13 would not fit at all due to clearance issues would 18s have that same prob with clearance?

Offline Kranzy

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12 - SR20DET
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2008, 04:15AM »
In Vic there is no such 2 sizes up law...

Guide can be found here...

http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/Home/RulesStandardsRegulations/VehicleStandardsInformation/

direct link

http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/NR/rdonlyres/CC48FC10-4D57-4F04-82E1-3BD72EF88340/0/VSI8.pdf

In Vic its 15mm larger than biggest wheel available for that model or series or 15mm smaller than the smallest wheel available for that model or series.

"Noss is GOD"

Offline snailman

• GOC 180' man
  • antrx.com senior member
  • 1994 U13 SSS BLUEY
« Reply #19 on: Aug 29, 2008, 11:58PM »
so thats not even 2" bigger ??? so "legally" 17's wouldn't work?
loves doing 180's up great ocean road... not!

Offline Kranzy

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12 - SR20DET
« Reply #20 on: Aug 30, 2008, 03:31AM »
its from the diameter of the tire. Not the rim. So 17 will be legal with the correct profile tyre.

"Noss is GOD"

Offline snailman

• GOC 180' man
  • 1994 U13 SSS BLUEY
« Reply #21 on: Aug 30, 2008, 10:28AM »
ahk thanks for clearing that up :D
loves doing 180's up great ocean road... not!

Offline Matt_sssman

• antrx.com newbie with pewbies
« Reply #22 on: May 7, 2009, 04:08PM »
I've had 18's with super low profile tyres on my 96 Bluebird SSS and I didn't have any problems with clearance. Only problem is 18's are heavy and make for a bumpy ride so I ended up getting myself some Advanti racing wheels, more tyre on the road better handling and they only weigh around 10KG each! Handling is more important than looks in my opinion! I wouldn't go any higher than 17's!

Offline wicked

• U13
« Reply #23 on: May 7, 2009, 05:17PM »
I've had 18's with super low profile tyres on my 96 Bluebird SSS and I didn't have any problems with clearance. Only problem is 18's are heavy and make for a bumpy ride so I ended up getting myself some Advanti racing wheels, more tyre on the road better handling and they only weigh around 10KG each! Handling is more important than looks in my opinion! I wouldn't go any higher than 17's!

So is unsprung weight.  ;)

Offline Ka-Bluey

• antrx.com's
  • post whore
  • The MtData Guy
« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2009, 10:28PM »
There are a couple of ways of doing the CAI setup.

Option 1 is, get a panel filter to replace the stock, cut the intake hole to fit a flexible intake hose (approx 3" dia) and run it thru the hole in the side of the bumper. Once this is done, you can either cut a circular hole in the bottom plastic cover in front of the wheel arch or like i had done put a little scoop in there. This will give you the stock legal look with improvements. I had this on my Bluey and found it awesome, especially combined with the 2 1/4" extractor back exhaust to a R33 muff.

Option 2 is, get some 75mm PVC pipe and run it thru the same hole and mount the pod filter in the front corner bumper under the indicator. This will give you an awesome sucking sound and cold air. Only issue with this is if it rains alot or you tend to drive thru a deep puddle, you might suck up a bit of water.

There is a thread on here somewhere where people have done numerous different ways. I will post up couple pics to show you mine. As for the adapter, i think i used the SR20DE pod adapter and it suited well.

Offline EFGohan

« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2009, 10:55PM »
nice i have shoved "vacume' hose in there direct to the air box barstad to fit in cause its like a 3 inch pipe suppost to go on my EF and ditch the twin intake system that they with pod aswell never happend i shoved a pod in the box stock lookin!

Offline Ka-Bluey

• antrx.com's
  • post whore
  • The MtData Guy
« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2009, 10:24PM »
nice i have shoved "vacume' hose in there direct to the air box barstad to fit in cause its like a 3 inch pipe suppost to go on my EF and ditch the twin intake system that they with pod aswell never happend i shoved a pod in the box stock lookin!

Can anyone translate that into English for us all?

Offline EFGohan

« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2009, 07:55PM »
sorry mate!

the air box has a big 3 inch pipe shoved down the left hand side fender bastard to get in and out!