Author Topic: Engine lifespan. and U13 engine replacement options?  (Read 3823 times)

Offline Black_Serenade

• antrx.com junior member
Hey guys, my KA24DE is getting old. its almost on 280,000km and im getting worried, i really love my bluey and dont wanna get rid of it any time soon, but im afraid my engine is going to die one of these days, its my first car and i dont wanna get rid of it, cause i love it to death lol.  How long is the average lifespan on a KA24de..the engine was well taken care of though i have given it a kick here and there ..maybe once a week ..cause i love playin with the bluey sometimes.. But generally i keep oil full and coolant full etc. Are we talkin 300,000k? 400,000k??? i know its hard to give an ammount cause there are millions of combinations of things that can affect this.. But on average?

And if it were to go what are my options of a new engine for the u13?? I love the responsiveness of the KA24de ..and i dont think id replace it with another high km engine if i found one though .. so any other options? or are alot of things repairable on the engine if things were to go wrong?

Sorry i really dont know alot about cars haha.. im an idiot.

Offline Budgie

• Dr. B Udgie - AWD FTW
  • Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12-U13
Re: Engine lifespan. and U13 engine replacement options?
« Reply #1 on: Jul 7, 2007, 12:28AM »
Do you get it regularly serviced, or service it yourself?

That doesn't mean topping up the oil, it means changing it, changing the oil filter... other filters, etc etc
« Last Edit: Jul 7, 2007, 12:30AM by Budgie »
dont piss me off with your pillarless shit captain snappy wrist

Offline Black_Serenade

• antrx.com junior member
« Reply #2 on: Jul 7, 2007, 02:32AM »
ive been servicing it myself, ive changed the oil and filter twice, new sparkies, flushed the radiator etc. i dont know what else to do to be honest. im putting it in with my mechanic for a full comb over and a few repairs like my CV joints which are fucked. new springs in. new leads. his putting my new springs in, new fuel filter, checking everything for me which is going to be good.

but yeah i dunno how long she will last, she still runs well. also someone said i should be using a thick oil cause of the age of the engine, but ive read alot on here i shouldnt use anything too thick ..like a 10w or 15w max? even with near 280,000km? this right??

cheers

Offline Budgie

• Dr. B Udgie - AWD FTW
  • Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12-U13
« Reply #3 on: Jul 7, 2007, 10:19AM »
Yeah, 15w is fine for your car.

If it uses oil excessively, I mean burns it slightly... then use a slightly heavier oil.

You will find the KA series motors will just go and go and go!

Change your oil and your filter at regular intervals.  I change every 8,000km on my TRX's KA24E, as its getting long in the tooth Km wise but still runs fantasticly... and every 5,000 on my CA18DET powered bluebird.
dont piss me off with your pillarless shit captain snappy wrist

Offline greenbird

• antrx.com senior member
« Reply #4 on: Jul 8, 2007, 12:01AM »
I agree with Budgie.
My U13 has done just over 243000 kms and has been fantastically reliable. I've had it for 7 years now and although it did blow a head gasket at the 200K mark, the only other work has been a water pump and a new top tank on the radiator.
I change my oil and filter every 5000 now, using castrol Magnatec 10W40. Spark plugs get done every 20000.
It burns a tiny amount of oil, but not enough to be noticable out the exhaust.
I am quite confident that she will surpass the 300000km mark without needing new rings etc.
They are very tough engines that just refuse to die....
93 U13 Bluebird
5 spd
Finer Filter, Hi-Flow cat & 2.25" exhaust
17X7 Concept 5 wheels
2 inch lowered King Springs

Offline slim

• post whore
  • Nissan Bluebird SSS 1996 ®
    • Pictures
« Reply #5 on: Jul 8, 2007, 12:10AM »
i agree aswell.
even thought mine has done less than 200k kms.
Mine was still able to do reasonable 1/4 mile times with a blown head, water in cylinder 4 and a radiator half full of water.
In fact if it weren't for my dad ild still be driving it that way. As there was no noticeable difference in power or pulling abilities only economy

are alot of things repairable on the engine if things were to go wrong?
Yes most parts can de repaired BUT it will cost you. aftermarket parts are harder to find. Tip it uses a VN commodore air filter
  • Bosch HID Kit, Clear Side & Front Indicators + Bulbs
  • B&M Shortshifter
  • JVC DVD Touchscreen 5.1 Surround Sound
  • Full Whiteline Kit
  • Tokico Shocks
¤ slim's 1996 SSS Bluebird Project Thread

Offline dave-trx

• post whore
  • hates everything
« Reply #6 on: Jul 8, 2007, 03:15AM »
I no of a couple of Navara's with KA24E/DE's with over 400,000km's on the clock and are still going strong. If its been looked after it will look after you.
Your car may be able to go faster.
But I can go any where. except into a garage, underground carpark, bridge...

2 sticks and manual locking hubs. have to get out to drive it around
Good old Nissan.

KA's are the shit. According to all the info on the site, they are better then sliced bread and thats saying something.

I Got Baned for being a Total Assclown, Wanker, Tool, etc...