Author Topic: Mitsubishi Australia - Factory to shut down  (Read 4043 times)

Offline dave-trx

• post whore
  • hates everything
Mitsubishi Australia - Factory to shut down
« on: Feb 6, 2008, 05:23PM »
What are people's views.

Your car may be able to go faster.
But I can go any where. except into a garage, underground carpark, bridge...

2 sticks and manual locking hubs. have to get out to drive it around
Good old Nissan.

KA's are the shit. According to all the info on the site, they are better then sliced bread and thats saying something.

I Got Baned for being a Total Assclown, Wanker, Tool, etc...

Offline SSS

• Administrator
  • post whore
Re: Mitsubishi Australia - Factory to shut down
« Reply #1 on: Feb 6, 2008, 05:37PM »
Meh. They brought it on themselves really.

Offline SSS

• Administrator
  • post whore
« Reply #2 on: Feb 6, 2008, 05:37PM »
Keep in mind though that i do feel sorry for those that lost their job out of this.

Offline dave-trx

• post whore
  • hates everything
« Reply #3 on: Feb 6, 2008, 05:48PM »
I think they were ignorent. RWD sedans are what the average family wants. Better for towing the boat, caravan etc.

I think the Australian goverment has alot to do with the blame, 60-80% of Goverment sedans are Falcons and Commodore's. The goverment should have leased alot more 380's. The same can be said for back in the 1990's when Nissan Australia was struggling.

Good old Nissan.

KA's are the shit. According to all the info on the site, they are better then sliced bread and thats saying something.

Offline Smiley Of Terror

• post whore
« Reply #4 on: Feb 6, 2008, 08:01PM »
their products were never the top of the line, and they were never thought of the most reliable.

I'm not gonna miss 'em, pity about the jobs though.

It's cheaper for countries to build cars in Africa or South America now days and have them shipped over.
nissan enthusiast who... umm... drives a toyota.

'95 n/a Mr2

Offline chr1S

• r&d team
  • post whore
« Reply #5 on: Feb 6, 2008, 08:05PM »
You serious?

Magna interiors and the car themselves in general are way better engineered than a commodore or a falcon in my opinion.

So all this EVO business is going down the drain now? Fun for some modifying business' out there...
Don't let the opinions of the average man sway you. Dream, and he thinks you're crazy. Succeed, and he thinks you're lucky. Acquire wealth, and he thinks you're greedy. Pay no attention. He simply doesn't understand.

to be fair, it wouldn't be ANTRX if we stayed on topic.

and if someone wasn't cranky at Chr1s for something he said...

Offline SSS

• Administrator
  • post whore
« Reply #6 on: Feb 6, 2008, 08:14PM »
every evo x is built in japan.

Offline BILL*69

• is on LPG...
  • post whore
  • Off Defect Finally..
« Reply #7 on: Feb 6, 2008, 08:15PM »
Magna interiors and the car themselves in general are way better engineered than a commodore or a falcon in my opinion.
Spent too much on higher quality, and as we can tell, majority of the population cant tell quality when it hits them in the face... i.e. the engineering in the mitsu's.
mr 4ut0m4t1c d0r1fft0000 p1nny 0n ga5 w17h cu5t0m u13h su8w00f3r!
When i'm cruisin' wit my bitches and G's ready to pop a cap in the ass of some fool who thinks he's bank by takin' my corner of the block....  ::)

Offline chr1S

• r&d team
  • post whore
« Reply #8 on: Feb 6, 2008, 08:19PM »
every evo x is built in japan.

I meant the sales of the cars themselves, are they still going to be available?
Don't let the opinions of the average man sway you. Dream, and he thinks you're crazy. Succeed, and he thinks you're lucky. Acquire wealth, and he thinks you're greedy. Pay no attention. He simply doesn't understand.

Offline Luke

• 173kw @ all 4
  • sth. oz local moderator
  • antrx.com junkie
« Reply #9 on: Feb 6, 2008, 08:29PM »
Yes, they will still be available, just notihng will be made here any more, all imports.
Jason reffering to the OzVR4 Forum... "Even their forum is slow" "FJ20.com on the other hand, yep that S12 does Mono's"

Offline chr1S

• r&d team
  • post whore
« Reply #10 on: Feb 6, 2008, 08:32PM »
I get it now,

Some jellydick told me mistu is COMPLETELY pulling away from AUS, Would be quite interesting to see what imports they decide to bring in now though!

Offline Luke

• 173kw @ all 4
  • antrx.com junkie
« Reply #11 on: Feb 6, 2008, 08:41PM »
Nothing will change, if it weren't in the news, you wouldn't even know that they were shutting down.
Jason reffering to the OzVR4 Forum... "Even their forum is slow" "FJ20.com on the other hand, yep that S12 does Mono's"

Offline wombat

• antrx.com junkie
  • Sleep... What's that?
« Reply #12 on: Feb 6, 2008, 08:51PM »
It sucks. It's going to cost Mitsubishi a shitload if Mike Rann has his way. All the money the SA Government put in to the new plant - and now it's closing - he said that the gov't would be exploring avenues to get it back. That was about 35 Million.

I hate that everything's becoming centralised, homogenised and bland. There's precious little difference between competitors cars now (Falcon/Commodore/380, Yaris/Fiesta/Colt) and it's just becoming a bland world where it's all the same shit.

1,000 jobs is a hell of an amount of people that are going to have to find new jobs - probably not in Adelaide. It's money over people once again.

~moves slightly farther Left in political allegiance~
I'm so far behind at work, I'm almost retro!

Offline Luke

• 173kw @ all 4
  • antrx.com junkie
« Reply #13 on: Feb 6, 2008, 09:15PM »
Mitsubishi has already said that they will give all the 'prop up' money back to the government, hopefully it will go towards finding these people new jobs, or fitting out the factory for production of something else so that the workers can stay.

Offline dave-trx

• post whore
  • hates everything
« Reply #14 on: Feb 6, 2008, 09:25PM »
You serious?

So all this EVO business is going down the drain now? Fun for some modifying business' out there...

I will second what Chris said. The Magna's were built way better then Commodores and Falcon's. The lack the RWD towing capacity and servicing was dearer. The V6 engines would be a bitch to work on. If I was after a family car I would buy a Magna or Maxima anyday over a Falcon and Commodore or Aurion or Camry.

Good old Nissan.

Offline Budgie

• Dr. B Udgie - AWD FTW
  • Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12-U13
« Reply #15 on: Feb 6, 2008, 11:19PM »
Its not the same, but just as annoying as the ford inline 6 plant shutting its doors in my home town, but its all changing and you have to change with it.

Mitsubishi is on a winner with its new lancer, great looking little car thats well priced.  Its 4WD's sell well, so lets see that they decide to do in the future.
dont piss me off with your pillarless shit captain snappy wrist

Offline cruizer

• post whore
« Reply #16 on: Feb 6, 2008, 11:50PM »
Not too sure if I agree with the govt. giving $50 million to find the workers a new job. It's a nice gesture but a bit unfair on people that have lost their jobs elsewhere. But everyone knows what a heartless bastard I am  ::)

Offline Byas

• antrx.com senior member
« Reply #17 on: Feb 7, 2008, 03:50AM »
Not too sure if I agree with the govt. giving $50 million to find the workers a new job. It's a nice gesture but a bit unfair on people that have lost their jobs elsewhere. But everyone knows what a heartless bastard I am  ::)

gee's you can throw $50 mil at me you want... i didn't see a cent when my position was no longer needed
Nissan Pintara Gli
Ford Laser WRC

Offline Smiley Of Terror

• post whore
« Reply #18 on: Feb 7, 2008, 09:59AM »
You serious?

I never compared them to a falcon or a commodore. I said that Mitsubishi's products were never top of the line or the most reliable. Toyota and even Nissan are more reliable, Subaru are considered better cars.

As my post also said, they will probably find it cheaper to build their cars elsewhere and bring them here.. without much of a drop of quality.. BMW make their cars in Africa and Mercedes makes theirs in Mexico and they're all quality built.. Its just Australian workers like to get paid decent amounts of money..
nissan enthusiast who... umm... drives a toyota.

'95 n/a Mr2

Offline SSS

• Administrator
  • post whore
« Reply #19 on: Feb 8, 2008, 08:06AM »
gee's you can throw $50 mil at me you want... i didn't see a cent when my position was no longer needed

you used to work there?

Offline Byas

• antrx.com senior member
« Reply #20 on: Feb 9, 2008, 12:18AM »
you used to work there?

haha no, i should have been more specific on that one...

i still don't think this is gonna have that big effect apart from the people who have lost jobs, the cars really wern't anything to special. i'd considered buying one but FWD just turned me off them, the interiors were average and apparently easy to blow engines in...
Nissan Pintara Gli
Ford Laser WRC

Offline bogan_bob

• antrx.com junkie
« Reply #21 on: Feb 9, 2008, 03:06PM »
Im with you Dave, mitsu oz just never got the message that no one really wants a large fwd car as a family tractor, and its cost them.

Its yet another strike for Rann being a dick in my books. If a company cant make it on their own, why should tax payers prob them up? Sure the jobs were useful for the local economy, but it was always just delaying the inevitable.

And the unions have a lot to answer for as well. The thing that is killing the Automotive industry in Australia is the conditions workers get/expect! Where else in Australia can an unskilled worker get $45,000pa for tightening 4 bolts of a seat into the car?! Unions have driven wages and conditions so high, they have priced themselves out of a job. Any other industry would only get $25-30,000 p.a. for unskilled work (hospitality, bricky labourer etc). This has made it so unnatractive to build cars in australia and why without major export contracts (like holden have) its just not viable. The unions have f**ked it up for everyone working in the industry, so serves them right! (i stole that from another forum but it sums up my thoughts well)

http://ozvr4.com - check it out :)

Offline f8tal02118

• antrx.com junior member
  • little red rocket
« Reply #22 on: Feb 11, 2008, 11:47PM »

yer they will still  be available. but the japs will jack up the price for spare car parts for them  like they did with car battery's (stock market if you don't know thats why some metals are dearer e.g get about 30 dollars for 1 cat converter)

might be going of topic   but want to get my cents in

most of the workers might get sent to holden as there working on a new car  only know because holden is just a block away  but most if they do get sent to holden a lot might get fired from holdens if some get sent there as they fire when there is no new car coming out.

it sucks tho because  a lot of people have to do four years courses to work there like holdens. but sucks because most Australians are put out of work because it is cheaper  to take there  jobs over seas  where  they pay people 10 cents or so but when most cars get imported here they charge like a wounded bull. but most likely they will go to holdens as i believe there going to start making the motors here in sa at the  Elizabeth south factory .
(\_/) This is Bunny.
(O.o) Copy Bunny into your signature
(> <) to help him on his way to world domination.