Author Topic: Had any garage miss hap's tell them here.  (Read 8598 times)

Offline dave-trx

• post whore
  • hates everything
Your car may be able to go faster.
But I can go any where. except into a garage, underground carpark, bridge...

2 sticks and manual locking hubs. have to get out to drive it around
Good old Nissan.

KA's are the shit. According to all the info on the site, they are better then sliced bread and thats saying something.

I Got Baned for being a Total Assclown, Wanker, Tool, etc...

Offline SSS

• Administrator
  • post whore
Re: Had any garage miss hap's tell them here.
« Reply #1 on: Mar 12, 2007, 12:00PM »
Ran my U12 for about 3 mins at idle before i realized i had my oil hoses to the relocated filter the wrong way round! Luckily in the FSM it tells you that it still pumps oil to the bearings when the filter is bypassed like that.

Offline eurisko

• Frankenmotor Builder
  • post whore
  • Oldschool and Newstyle
« Reply #2 on: Mar 12, 2007, 12:36PM »
After changing the head gasket the first time, i ran my engine for about a minute... then saw fuel was gushing out alll over my engine bay. Then i realised, i forgot to place the metal clip on the hose... and the pressure had caused the line to burst!

Luckly i had my brother watching the engine at the time!  :-[

The Nissubishda will live....

Offline Virus

• antrx.com senior member
  • Cpt Sense Of Direction
« Reply #3 on: Mar 12, 2007, 02:03PM »
only one i can think of off the top of my head atm is when i took my AFM out to clean it, put it back in a started the engine and it kept stalling. Took me 20 mins to figure out i forgot to plug the afm back in.
I assure you there are more, i just cant think of them right now.

Offline Taiwan Corsair

• antrx.com full member
« Reply #4 on: Mar 12, 2007, 02:14PM »
Lots of stripped threads, snapped bolts/studs etc... nothing seems to stand out.

The guy at the exhaust shop melted the plastic splash guards under the engine bay by welding too close to them. I just noticed that.

Oh, I snapped one og the side bits of the distributor housing by trying to tighten the bolt when it wasn't fitted properly. That was the first time I worked on my (or any other) car in any serious way. Still holds its timing with the other bolt though.

Offline slim

• post whore
  • Nissan Bluebird SSS 1996 ®
    • Pictures
« Reply #5 on: Mar 12, 2007, 05:38PM »
Heres a goodie
Dad car got rear ended so it went of to the repairers.
whilst there a worker leaned in through the drivers window and started the car,
but as this car was a rarer manual version he didn't realise that it was in gear.
the car went through the sheet metal wall and the front end went of the concrete
floor of the workshop before it stalled. The worker who did it end up in hospital, ok no damage
and the car got repaired free and more paint.
ild post pics but i think i dont have any anymore.
  • Bosch HID Kit, Clear Side & Front Indicators + Bulbs
  • B&M Shortshifter
  • JVC DVD Touchscreen 5.1 Surround Sound
  • Full Whiteline Kit
  • Tokico Shocks
¤ slim's 1996 SSS Bluebird Project Thread

Offline rathies

• I may be going to hell but I'm going in a 4BY
  • post whore
  • Patrol of Doom coming soon
« Reply #6 on: Mar 12, 2007, 06:11PM »
one time myself and ammerty couldn't work out why my car wouldn't start, we went through various battery changes/jump starting and shit. after about 2 hours we realised it was in gear (Automatic) and the inhibitor switch had kicked in, doh!. :-[
Previous rides: KA24ET TRX,  2000 GUII Patrol 4.2 td, AntrxWA whore TRX owner 4/5, 99 Landrover Discovery TD5
Current Ride(s):  91 GQ Patrol ST-3 RB25DET Converted :)

Offline wombat

• antrx.com junkie
  • Sleep... What's that?
« Reply #7 on: Mar 12, 2007, 06:31PM »
i think every amateur mechanic has put fresh oil without the sump plug. The worst part of that is trekking back to the car parts store where they remember you, and explaining that you were a goose.  :(
I'm so far behind at work, I'm almost retro!

Offline oldn_tired

• antrx.com full member
« Reply #8 on: Mar 12, 2007, 09:37PM »
Had a mate who rebuilt a engine under guidance from his dad, e got it all bolted in and was told to wait till his dad got home to check it out.
He decided to start it up anyway, it started first go but he couldnt get oil pressure.
He decided this would be due to an air blockage and would rectify itself he he took it for a run.
Ten minutes later he was walking back up the road, lack of oil pressure was caused by lack of oil.
Motor was quite well rooted.
Hands up any one who wants to tell their dad that when he gets home.

Offline xxxx

• antrx.com junkie
« Reply #9 on: Mar 12, 2007, 09:48PM »
I was changing a battery once and i removed the coolant overflow bottle from the battery "box" area and rested it on the exhaust manifold and forgot to take it off.

A couple days later after a lenghty drive there is smoke pouring out of my bonnet and im thinking FUCKKKKKK but it turns out the overflow bottle had just totally melted onto the heatshielding...haha
Noss you look like a cereal killer ;D

well not our fault that saantrx is gay as

Offline chr1S

• r&d team
  • post whore
« Reply #10 on: Mar 12, 2007, 11:02PM »
hmmm...

shorted the battery while turning the battery bolt luckily i never got zapped, i kind of realised it as it was just about to/happening.

umm, hehe it's not major, but it was pretty embarassing.. I was popping my driveshafts out before i rebuilt my engine, As i popped it out
i pulled it and let go, thinking it will stay there (done all in a quick movement). Lets just say i copped the spline straight under my eye, i had a mad bruise for a good week, people would be asking me, who u have a fight with ?

i can't think of anything major major.. I've done some stupid shit in my younger years, like putting 13v into a battery to charge it, 30mins later it was melted to shithouse, maybe on verge of exploding :).

Making my own switch for a computer power supply, ended up flicking it, MAD spark and the lights in the house went out  ;D

these were the days when i didn't know shit, being 11 years old and all haha... I thought a switch was connected by putting - in 1 leg and + in the other  :P

umm...ive broken a fair bit of shit..but nowdays i don't do it so often.

Worst thing ive done lately, pulled my belt off to replace exhaust manifold (needed to move altenator fully back), i put altenator back in position, started the car, let it idle for a little, went to go for a spin, realised my steering was heavy as fuck, noticed my temp sitting at just above half way and shit myslef, turned car off, looked under car for leaks, then noticed my belt wasn't connected  ::)
Don't let the opinions of the average man sway you. Dream, and he thinks you're crazy. Succeed, and he thinks you're lucky. Acquire wealth, and he thinks you're greedy. Pay no attention. He simply doesn't understand.

to be fair, it wouldn't be ANTRX if we stayed on topic.

and if someone wasn't cranky at Chr1s for something he said...

Offline dave-trx

• post whore
  • hates everything
« Reply #11 on: Mar 12, 2007, 11:30PM »
Chris they are some good one's.

I disconnected the speed sensor on the grey TRX and forgot to reconnect it and went for a drive, I pulled out of a side street and needed to put the foot down and she wouldn't rev past 3000rpm. Pulled over thinking what the fuck is wrong. After 10 minutes I drove into a side street, so no one could see me. Opened the bonnet and reconnected the harness and all was good.

Another time I changed the CV's. I didn't think to drain the gearbox and all the gearbox fluid pissed out all over the garage floor.
Your car may be able to go faster.
But I can go any where. except into a garage, underground carpark, bridge...

2 sticks and manual locking hubs. have to get out to drive it around
Good old Nissan.

KA's are the shit. According to all the info on the site, they are better then sliced bread and thats saying something.

I Got Baned for being a Total Assclown, Wanker, Tool, etc...

Offline Jono

• The Wise Man
  • Global Moderator
  • post whore
  • memory boy!
« Reply #12 on: Mar 13, 2007, 02:01AM »
I was changing a battery once and i removed the coolant overflow bottle from the battery "box" area and rested it on the exhaust manifold and forgot to take it off.

I've done that before. Twice :-[

The first bottle burnt through, the second one survived to tell the tale.
#1 Post Wh0re
pringles was here!

Offline MAG86

• L24ET on the way.....
« Reply #13 on: Mar 13, 2007, 07:58AM »
i used my 800kg jack (from pintara) to lift my skyline, it bent and collapsed as i was taking the wheel off and mushed up my knuckles like a mincer.... loooked at the skyline jack... 1200kg rating (i didnt even think there would be any difference)

last week the cat knocked a new oil filter off the shelf and onto my VG30et turbo compressor wheel... SHNAPP!!! 3 blades napped and fucked like nothin else... you know how hard it is to find a VG30et compressor wheel!!! IMPOSSIBLE

my younger brother put diesel in mums toyota echo.... he is still paying off the repair bill 5 years later
[0O\======/O0]

Offline chr1S

• r&d team
  • post whore
« Reply #14 on: Mar 13, 2007, 08:20AM »
my younger brother put diesel in mums toyota echo.... he is still paying off the repair bill 5 years later

how the fck ? they have different neck sizes, how did he get the fuel in there... unless he like, forced the shit out of it loool
Don't let the opinions of the average man sway you. Dream, and he thinks you're crazy. Succeed, and he thinks you're lucky. Acquire wealth, and he thinks you're greedy. Pay no attention. He simply doesn't understand.

Offline borgtj

• antrx.com full member
  • Transmission Maniac!
    • Sector 4059
« Reply #15 on: Mar 13, 2007, 12:23PM »
Rebuilt a transmission,the installer came back into the build room to get it.We slid it off the bench onto the jack an I saw the very first washer to be put in was underneath a shop rag! Had to take it ALL the way apart again.(To hell with fast builds before my first cup of coffee) :P

Offline oldn_tired

• antrx.com full member
« Reply #16 on: Mar 13, 2007, 03:43PM »
I had one of the slickest clutch changes in my life a few years ago,
I did it by myself with a couple of car jacks and a super cheap socket set.
I had the box out in 45min aligned the new clutch by eye sat the box on my chest and hoisted the bastard into place, it clicked  into place sweet as.
Had it bolted up and ready to test drive in 2 1/2 hours tops
Got cleaned up and grabbed myself a reward beer walked over to the car and sat the beer right next to the throw out bearing which was on my work bench.
Its sad to admit your a dumb bastard.

Offline bogan_bob

• antrx.com junkie
« Reply #17 on: Mar 13, 2007, 07:39PM »
hmmm let me think......

a number of crossed threads, esp on seats which is quite frustrating. I always manage to fix them myself though :P

I am not particularly mechanically minded (though i am slowly learning), so when trying to change shocks and springs in the front struts i got stuck at the part where you have to leaver the control arm down to remove the strut ( i think thats what its called, i tried standing on the bastard, levering like the WM said it wouldnt move). Very angrily i had to put the whole hub etc back together and admit defeat :(

Other stuff like opening radiator cap when the water is still a bit warm, not noticing a bit of an oil spill when topping up oil, overfilling with oil, stuff like that you do once and NEVER again  :D

http://ozvr4.com - check it out :)

Offline chr1S

• r&d team
  • post whore
« Reply #18 on: Mar 13, 2007, 07:59PM »
Got cleaned up and grabbed myself a reward beer walked over to the car and sat the beer right next to the throw out bearing which was on my work bench.

ROFL ! that would cut

Offline SSS

• Administrator
  • post whore
« Reply #19 on: Mar 14, 2007, 07:47AM »
Worst thing is stripping the threads that secure the rocker arm shaft to the head...not fun drilling out and tapping it for a helicoil believe me....

Offline SpidaWings

• antrx.com junior member
  • I miss my cupcake
« Reply #20 on: Mar 14, 2007, 12:48PM »
i had just recently replaced my starter motor and it sounds really weird, i went for a drive to get foods and when i hoped back into the car to start it, it wouldn't start, i called noss out to rescue me, only to find out i had it in drive (auto)
this happened to noss not me but when he was playing around with his gearbox i went off to get drinks then heard a yelp, he was laying on his back under the car and pulled the gearbox out on top of himself, had to co-ordinate two jacks to get it off of him
If you cut A badger in half with an axe it turns into two chipmunks

Offline Taiwan Corsair

• antrx.com full member
« Reply #21 on: Mar 14, 2007, 01:48PM »
Locked the keys in my car in a carpark outside an art galley in a small country town in Japan. It was pouring with rain and I had my girlfriend (she's my wife now) with me calling me an idiot. I borrowed a screwdriver off another driver and tryed to get the rubber seal out from around the little triangular window in the back door. My hands were freezing and my patience was very limited, so I used just enough strength to make the glass shatter. We got the car open and drove home with a gabage bag taped over where the window had been.

I never ended getting it fixed, but that lead to another guarage misshap. A month later, I was getting some petrol, at night, and as is the custom in Japanese petrol stations, the attendant came around and polished my winidows while somone else put the petrol in and half a dozen other people stood around yelling greetings at me and telling eachother what to do. When the window cleaning guy got to that window (with no glass) he tryed to polish it, very enthusiastically, and his arm went strait through. He almost fell over. lol 'should have seen the look on his face. We had to open the door for him so he could get his polishing cloth off the back seat!

Believe me, that was funnier at the time than it sounds now :)

Offline f8tal02118

• antrx.com junior member
  • little red rocket
« Reply #22 on: Feb 12, 2008, 12:35AM »
when i did the head gasket on my car  put it to getter and put coolant in only to find out i didn't put a hose on    had to undo the head just to reach the hose once done put coolant in it was fine  then the same day i put the fuel lines on tried to start it nothing happen so did some research found nothing out the i tried switching the fuel in out lines it work but didn't do the in line up started it sprayed petrol in my brothers eyes and a friends eyes they where pissed about bout it but what the heck it works fine now
(\_/) This is Bunny.
(O.o) Copy Bunny into your signature
(> <) to help him on his way to world domination.

Offline ashman01

• Thats Mr. Man01 to you.
  • post whore
  • Slowly getting there
« Reply #23 on: Feb 12, 2008, 08:14AM »
only one i can think of off the top of my head atm is when i took my AFM out to clean it, put it back in a started the engine and it kept stalling. Took me 20 mins to figure out i forgot to plug the afm back in.
I assure you there are more, i just cant think of them right now.

I did that. Was installing my audio and for some reason un plugged the amf. Drove 100m down the road and just stalled. New straight away what it was but still was embarrassing with a car full of people

Offline Byas

« Reply #24 on: Mar 13, 2008, 01:54PM »
one time myself and ammerty couldn't work out why my car wouldn't start, we went through various battery changes/jump starting and shit. after about 2 hours we realised it was in gear (Automatic) and the inhibitor switch had kicked in, doh!. :-[

ROFL!

i cant talk i seem to do that everytime i drive my gfs car...

i could probably take up a page with stuff thats gone wrong... a mate changed my oil filter one day, for some reason when he was finshed i still had the new one in the packet un opened, and the old one in the bin... but a new oil filter on the car.... still go no idea what happened...
Nissan Pintara Gli
Ford Laser WRC

Offline DTM

• post whore
« Reply #25 on: Mar 13, 2008, 02:06PM »
Putting my RB20 in my car, had the gbox already mounted in the car, swapped the clutch over, lined it up etc etc, all good. Used the RB20 flex plate and shit, no worries. Lifted the motor in, lined it up, slid straight in, sweet as I thought. Started up the top, did up the bolts around the box, working my way down, got to the last two on the starter motor.
Turns out the VLT flex plate has a bigger hole for the starter motor to fit through due to the larger starter motor ::)

Offline Habibosaurus

• YouTube King
  • Global Moderator
  • antrx.com junkie
« Reply #26 on: Mar 13, 2008, 03:46PM »
Car suddenly went into limp mode (wouldn't rev past 2700rpm). I was like dam, must be the speed sensor as I was having odometer problems than as well.

Drove 1.5km in limp mode, got home and saw that I forgot to replace the clamp when I put the pod filter on.... ::)
Ill fight you. May even throw a bar of soap your way. Maybe a few wax strips and some clip on brembo brake calipers for your fooly sic civic.

Offline Jono

• The Wise Man
  • Global Moderator
  • post whore
  • memory boy!
« Reply #27 on: Mar 17, 2008, 10:32PM »
Putting my RB20 in my car, had the gbox already mounted in the car, swapped the clutch over, lined it up etc etc, all good. Used the RB20 flex plate and shit, no worries. Lifted the motor in, lined it up, slid straight in, sweet as I thought. Started up the top, did up the bolts around the box, working my way down, got to the last two on the starter motor.
Turns out the VLT flex plate has a bigger hole for the starter motor to fit through due to the larger starter motor ::)

I know that feeling, I replaced the rear main seal in my R31 Pintara a while back, when I had the 'box out I noticed the clutch fork was a bit worn. It wasn't causing any problems at the time so I just put it straight back in, started the car up and couldn't get it in gear. Had to take the gearbox back out and weld a little piece of rod to the fork to stop the throwout bearing from rotating.

And it's a sandwich plate, not a flex plate :)
Flex plates bolt between the crank and the torque converter.
#1 Post Wh0re
pringles was here!

Offline Vithy

• post whore
« Reply #28 on: Apr 9, 2008, 07:10PM »
ummm doing wrk exp at mazda was changing a car oil in a pit and removing the oil filter it slipped outta my hand as  was unscrewing it as it had oil all over and and dropped into the oil drain bowl below covering my face wid motor oil lol, other than that cant think of anything.....

my mate his car on full lock out front of my house and we notice he had radials showing on his tires so we tried to show him how to change a tire, coz when it comes to cars he doesnt noe shit lol when it came to putting all the nuts back on the tire he some how managed to cross thread one after awhile of humin and harring i got the nut off but he still hasnt fixed it yet lol let alone get new tires...i dont think he understands the importance of tires! lol

another mate parked his car in the garage a golf buggy feel down out of storage and ended up under his car when he was backing in...it also hit his car on the way down lol on the way out he didnt move it and it got caught on the paint cupboard. He tried pulling the buggy out but to no avail coz it was jamed so floored it out of the garage releasing the buggy and pulling over the paint cupboard covering his garage floor wid paint and shit lol dad herd all the noise and told him hell have to clean it up when he gets home from school lol
« Last Edit: Apr 10, 2008, 02:00PM by Vithy »
"Noss is God"

Offline chr1S

• r&d team
  • post whore
« Reply #29 on: Apr 10, 2008, 11:22AM »
rofl how do you get noice from noise hahahahahah

Offline Vithy

• post whore
« Reply #30 on: Apr 10, 2008, 05:17PM »
rofl how do you get noice from noise hahahahahah
poor yr 12 english skills :P
"Noss is God"

Offline cruizer

• post whore
« Reply #31 on: Apr 10, 2008, 10:21PM »
Was putting the beast up onto wooden blocks/sleeps to raise the car to get underneath. Was giving it some gas and managed to do a burnout half on the wood, half off. Didn't realise that the carport was half full of smoke because I was looking at the tacho  ;D

Offline xxxx

• antrx.com junkie
« Reply #32 on: Apr 11, 2008, 02:04PM »
About a week ago i changed the front brakes, and forgot to pump them when i finished. drove up the driveway and almost slammed straight into the rear of my grandparents new car!
Noss you look like a cereal killer ;D

well not our fault that saantrx is gay as