Author Topic: Brake Upgrade  (Read 1815 times)

Offline Brass Monkey

• antrx.com junior member
Brake Upgrade
« on: Oct 16, 2009, 10:06PM »
Hey Guys, i was thinking about doin the r32 brake upgrade  but im not sure how it all happens i was thinkin gts4 rotors with gtst calipers would that require any machine etc

Cheers

Offline Kranzy

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12 - SR20DET
Re: Brake Upgrade
« Reply #1 on: Oct 17, 2009, 01:19AM »
I have a guide somewhere as to what calipers are what as there are three you may come across(26mm, 30mm and 30mm iron), but i'm moving so I'll dig it out when my pc is up and going again.

Best option is the 4 pot 30mm calipers and 280x30mm rotors to suit. You can get then from dba as blanks so you can just drill them to 4 stud. You need the outside diameter of the rotor machined to 274mm. Once this is done the caliper and rotor will bolt on.

Wheel clearance is an issue. It's more the space between the caliper front and where the spokes of the wheel meet the centre that doesn't clear. 2 options spend money on wheels designed to clear big brake upgrades (what I did) or 2nd option is spacers, which I hated the idea of.

The last thing you need to do is get new front lines made up from the hardline behind the strut to the caliper. You can use the stock line but 9/10 the banjo won't fit properly and I don't like the idea of spacing it out with washers. After all it's what stops your car so do it right the first time I rekon.

I'm pretty sure that covers all of it. If you have any more questions just ask. 
Quote from: noss
learnt something new just then, dont eat baked bean sandwhiches while changing the paper in the copier

"Noss is GOD"

Offline SleepaTi

• antrx.com junkie
  • KA24DET Guru
« Reply #2 on: Oct 17, 2009, 05:12PM »
hey champ just throw some U13 brakes on, straight bolt on with no machining required
i don't notice any difference between them (on my daily) & the 4 pot caliper'd brakes on my Ti
i'm not trying to change your mind, just giving you more options :)
u13 calipers $60pr
u13 rotors $160pr new/$50 2nd hand
u13 pads $40

r32 calipers $200+++
r32 pads $65+
custom rotors $way too much
NO! it's NOT a fucking SR20!!

Offline Kranzy

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12 - SR20DET
« Reply #3 on: Oct 18, 2009, 12:51AM »
Heavy braking on a track you notice the difference. When stick and I were racing he had brake issues with his, mine were perfect.

I highly recommend spending the extra dollars on it.
Quote from: noss
learnt something new just then, dont eat baked bean sandwhiches while changing the paper in the copier

"Noss is GOD"

Offline Brass Monkey

• antrx.com junior member
« Reply #4 on: Oct 18, 2009, 07:01PM »
thanks for that guys, ill give it some thought and see what i come up with.