Author Topic: A rattle with unusual traits  (Read 2457 times)

Offline Febrile

• Forum Predator
  • post whore
  • I like having thumbs
A rattle with unusual traits
« on: Jul 7, 2004, 12:45AM »
Over the past several months, my Corsair has been developing a rattle.  I've been trying to narrow it down, but it is an elusive bugger.  It's a quick, higher-pitched rattle, more like something tapping quickly on something hollow and metal.  The metal sound strikes me as one the exhaust system might make.  It only occurs in high revs, when the clutch is disengaged(?) (i.e. when the engine is connected to the wheels), and, most strangely of all, only once the car has warmed up substantially.  I got under the car and had a quick inspection of the exhaust piping, however, there were no obvious loose bits or connections.  I have extractors, and the whole exhaust system, from extractors to tip, is only about 1.5 years old.

So.... has anyone experienced a similar occurance?  Does anyone have any advice as to what I might look for, to narrow my search down?
Doo-woop-shoobie-doo-waah

Offline Pringles

• antrx.com baked not fried
  • post whore
  • ;-) check me out !
Re: A rattle with unusual traits
« Reply #1 on: Jul 7, 2004, 01:00AM »
mmmm dose it by anychance sonud like rocks banksing round, as in is it pinging
Check out the Brown Couch !
the ole Nissan caught a cold... puachtuuu..!
i lost a testicle while shaving my scrotum
Jono wasn't here!

Offline Febrile

• Forum Predator
  • post whore
  • I like having thumbs
« Reply #2 on: Jul 7, 2004, 01:50AM »
No, that's not really what it sounds like.  It's not quite as sharp as that.  And I bloody well hope it's not pinging, I only had it serviced a month or so ago!

Offline BoGAn

• antrx.com junkie
« Reply #3 on: Jul 7, 2004, 10:19AM »
I have a similar noise, though its hard to compare without actually hearing yours. It only happens when the clutch is out but i get it at idle as well as at a number of times thruout the rev range. Not sure exactly what it is, but im guessing it might be a metal floater in the gearbox somewhere due to a few gear crunches  :-[

On a side note, I had another rattle last week that was definately exhaust. Turns out the cat shat itself. It was only 3 months old. There was also a leak that I had them weld up too

Offline Febrile

• Forum Predator
  • post whore
  • I like having thumbs
« Reply #4 on: Jul 7, 2004, 12:34PM »
Would it be possible for the bands that make up the flex pipe to come loose?  I imagine one or two of them bouncing around could make this sound.

Offline Febrile

• Forum Predator
  • post whore
  • I like having thumbs
« Reply #5 on: Jul 7, 2004, 10:18PM »
Talked to a friend at work and he suggested that the muffler might be the source - and I think he might be right.  With this theory in mind, I tried to pick where exactly the sound is coming from, and it does sound more to the rear, where the muffler is located.  Also, he described the possible problem as being something that has come loose within the muffler, and I do think that this sounds like an accurate cause of this particular noise - it's like metal jangling on metal.  Looks like I might be up for a new exhaust system, if this is the case.

Thanks to those who replied, anyway.

Offline BoGAn

• antrx.com junkie
« Reply #6 on: Jul 9, 2004, 03:53AM »
Nothing like a good excuse to get a new exhaust. For me it was a hole just before the flex pipe, so i had extractors, cat and exhaust done. = hefty $$$ but also = hefty fun

Offline rambo40

• antrx.com newbie with pewbies
  • new kid on the block
« Reply #7 on: Aug 22, 2004, 09:56PM »
hi
My car starts rattling after it warms up and its not the exhaust or timing chain.I think its the valve lifters,as the oil heats up and becomes thinner,i hope its not caused by a dodgy oil pump.

rambo40   

Offline DAN

• antrx.com junkie
« Reply #8 on: Aug 23, 2004, 01:22AM »
if it is rattles that you are after then no one knows them like me everything ratles on my car so many ratles it is imposible to narrow it down i spend at least one day a week fixing as many as i can only to find that more arrive during the week this might have something to do with screwed engine mounts no suspension and 325,000 ks on the clock but it still powers along

Offline DAN

• antrx.com junkie
« Reply #9 on: Aug 23, 2004, 05:57PM »
just spent anouther arvo geting rid of ratles now i am sure i am down to the last one the major one all i know is that it comes from the front of the motor btw i dont mean the front of the car.  has anyone here experienced ratles in this area i am prety sure that it is not the timeing chain the ratle only occurs when the motor is deacelerating weather it is moving or not so i am inclined to think that something is loose has anyone experienced any of the drive devices ratleing internaly ie the power ster pump or the air compressor.  i plan on tightining all the bolts in that area in the next couple of days i know that my mounts are blown but i dont think that is the reason for the rattle i think it might have caused it through the cars shakeing but i dont think that that is the reason for the rattle any thoughts

nuthing pisses me off more than these rattles so any healp please i am going insane.

Offline Milford

• resident clown
  • post whore
« Reply #10 on: Aug 23, 2004, 06:23PM »
narxysus, my friend told me that he had a very similar experience, he explained what he did a long time ago, i vaguely remember something along the lines of putting a rubber spacer somewhere along his exhaust pipe where it mounts to the car
im sorry i cant remember really.

Offline RichTRX

• sth. oz local moderator
  • post whore
  • May the 4's be with you.
« Reply #11 on: Aug 27, 2004, 12:45PM »
supper goof that does sound like the timing chain that you hear rattling. When the wear gets advanced enough they do start ratting on decelleration. I'd have it looked it, or check it out myself, but don't leave it, whatever you do.
His: 2001 Audi S4 biturbo quattro 6sp, Nogaro Blue/black leather recaros, microsilver trim, bose 10sp, SSAC 2.5" twin turboback, RS4 rear sway, 25% tint

Hers: MY99.5 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro GP Edition AVANT 5-sp, phantom black, black leather buckets/walnut/sunroof, 2.5" D&T Turboback, K04-015, N75J, 710N DV

Bro driving: 1990 Nissan Pintara TRX 5sp Red, 16" Rozzis, Lukey 4-2-1 ext, 2.5" full exhaust, hi-flow cat, cone cai, stg 3 chip,  low Kings, GT Gas shocks, Urethane bushings, slotted front rotors, 398000k and still going strong; 0-100 in around 7.2-7.4 seconds

iren

« Reply #12 on: Aug 27, 2004, 05:18PM »
ok... can someone tell me what may be the possible source for a tapping noise between 5000-6500 rpm on the engine?
the noise... how can i describe it..."treeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet" otherwise similar to a vtec valve taps.

To add in, I think my front tyres are both out of round and balance, but I only experience the vibration at certain speed (96-105 km/h) in all gears.