Author Topic: 2.4 flat spot!!!!!  (Read 7509 times)

Offline pete05

• antrx.com junior member
  • I'm a llama!
2.4 flat spot!!!!!
« on: Dec 7, 2003, 07:03PM »
Hi all , have just bought  a 1990 trx with 190000 kays on the clock and i have a problem i was hoping someone could help me with.
The car is in excellent condition except for this prob, it seems that between 2500 and 3000rpm the engine hits like a wall where it doesnt want to rev smoothly then when it finally gets to 3000 it take off like a rocket?
It has all new filters ,leads and plugs,the motor run quitely and doesnt blow any smoke.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE HELP!!! ( ITS DRIVIN ME NUTS) ;D  

Offline Insu

• closet noss lover
  • antrx cruise monkey
  • antrx.com junkie
  • Its time to laugh again!
Re:2.4 flat spot!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: Dec 7, 2003, 07:19PM »
Well, if you searched these forums you'd probably find that we all suffer the same sort of problems, there is a flat spot in U12 2.4ltre pintara's just as you have stated.
If its really driving you nuts, i suggest you invest in a chip for your computer, run a search on antrx or team nse chips or just ask noss.
Previously known as Audio Muncher

Offline Xnissman

• qld local moderator
  • post whore
  • Speed Thrills - Stupidity Kills
« Reply #2 on: Dec 7, 2003, 09:36PM »
I know everyone says that the ka24 has a flat spot but i have to say that my pinnyT has never shown any sign of having one. it has always run smoothly up to the 6k redline
Take it to the limit - take it to the track.
speed safe; club level motorsport.
Life is like a box of chocolates.

Offline [JET-20T]

• anwrx member no.1
  • antrx.com junkie
  • boxer
« Reply #3 on: Dec 7, 2003, 10:23PM »
My old trx was smooth power throughout the rev range.. thats why my flat spots is shitting me up aswell..

My previous car wasn't modified.. the only thing i could notice was a cover in front of the extractors was gooooone... other than that stock from factory..
traction kicked in yo!

Offline noss

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • great scott!
    • antrx
« Reply #4 on: Dec 8, 2003, 07:33AM »
i guess the more mods you do the more you will notice the flatspot.. the fuel map of the stock chip gets suddenly rich around this area which is the reason the flat spot is there.. once the engine gets to the point that the air fuel mixtures even out again thats when the car takes off.

an easy solution to fix this is to advance your timing, however if you do then you have to make sure you dont advance it too much so that it will cause pinging in the higher end of the rev range..

and yes, most performance chips will overcome this.

http://polyfedelicio.us/imgs/ - free image hosting for whatever you like

Offline pete05

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #5 on: Dec 8, 2003, 06:09PM »
Cheers guys im goin to get a chip when available  ;D

Offline [JET-20T]

• anwrx member no.1
  • antrx.com junkie
  • boxer
« Reply #6 on: Dec 9, 2003, 08:50PM »
Apart from modifications causing this flat spot, or rich period, could a faulty lambda sensor be blamed on this aswell?

I noticed my car runs rich from all the black soot around the inside of the tip. and the puff of black smoke wen u put the foot down..

traction kicked in yo!

Offline noss

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • great scott!
    • antrx
« Reply #7 on: Dec 9, 2003, 09:06PM »
yeah that is also why you get the chip, it leans it out to a much more optimal mixture.. and you also get performance :)

Offline [JET-20T]

• anwrx member no.1
  • antrx.com junkie
  • boxer
« Reply #8 on: Dec 9, 2003, 09:08PM »
But if the lambda sensor was replaced, would that terminate the flat spot??

traction kicked in yo!

Offline SSS

• Administrator
  • post whore
« Reply #9 on: Dec 9, 2003, 09:10PM »
Nope. You have to modify the fuel maps in the ECU to remove it.

Offline FLOGTARA

• 300ZX FANATIC
  • post whore
  • Your mother's got a wooden leg with a kickstand!
« Reply #10 on: Dec 22, 2003, 02:34PM »
I emailed a guys from "Powerchip" and asked him a few questions.  He said that the timing of the engine has to be stock timing, thus not advanced.  He said the chip advances the timing.  I find this a bit contradictory because the spark timing runs off the distributor right??

Also, the power figures quoted are therefore made on stock timing of the engine, and if 13kw are quoted for the best chip a fair bit of that power quoted is made from the timing advancement right??

Therefore really all the chip does is a few tiny kw here and there and moves flat spots.  I don't see a chip as a great power improvement if your car doesnt really have a big flat spot.  

If a chip is what your after for a nice power improvement i'm thinking its not the best way to spend your power improvement money if your engine is pretty good..... :-\

What do we reckon about that NOSS SSSGTR  ??? ???
1990 Z32 2 Seater N/A 5spd
Mods, modified cats, cat back exhaust, HKS air filter, cyn-r-g lightened flywheel, aluminium underdrive pulley, Super HD clutch.

Offline WantaTRX

• antrx.com senior member
  • 1991 White TRX
« Reply #11 on: Dec 23, 2003, 11:19PM »
Just to add my little bit to the topic, my friends TRX also has the flat spot probelm, especially when the aircon is on, but for the one test drive i have gone in my TRX , i didnt notice any flat spots, it was nice a toey all the way through, (i pick her up on boxing day by the way! IM SO EXCITED!)

Shawn
quote from my friend "my VN will kick your 4 cylinder car's ass, coz its a 6 cylinder" haha

Offline [JET-20T]

• anwrx member no.1
  • antrx.com junkie
  • boxer
« Reply #12 on: Dec 27, 2003, 09:38AM »
ok this morning i filled her up with jizz.... oops wrong lady...

wat it should be is, i filled up my car with an octane booster + premium unleaded and the flat spot that has been making my hairs white had almost disappeared, well not quite disappeared but it helped. i tried this under load too and the car seemed happier under the 2750rpm...

We'll see how this goes for the next week or so and ill get back to this thread.
traction kicked in yo!

Offline WantaTRX

• 1991 White TRX
« Reply #13 on: Dec 27, 2003, 10:58PM »
Is it any better with the air-con off, like, does the aircon suck alot of power?
quote from my friend "my VN will kick your 4 cylinder car's ass, coz its a 6 cylinder" haha

Offline noss

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • great scott!
    • antrx
« Reply #14 on: Dec 28, 2003, 01:12PM »
yeah guys look dont waste your money on a powerchip branded chip.. its a shame that its a grey area & probably cant be bought to the attention of the ACCC. powerchip is definately a dodgy company.

Offline noss

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • great scott!
    • antrx
« Reply #15 on: Dec 28, 2003, 01:13PM »
oh by the way timing can be advanced on the ka24e with the chip.. not sure about the ca20e though

Offline H

• new kid on the block
Re: 2.4 flat spot!!!!!
« Reply #16 on: Sep 18, 2005, 10:43PM »
remove & clean injectors with ultrasonic bath fit new seals & filters this will get rid off 70-80% of it

Offline SSS

• Administrator
  • post whore
« Reply #17 on: Sep 18, 2005, 11:00PM »
H, if you read this, you are an absolute fucking idiot. You just have no clue whatsoever do you? Trying to get your post count up to post in for sale i see?

Offline BenZor

• antrx.com full member
  • Mm...Alloytec..tinktink.rattle..clunkclunk.grgBANG
« Reply #18 on: Sep 18, 2005, 11:04PM »
remove & clean injectors with ultrasonic bath fit new seals & filters this will get rid off 70-80% of it

Man that's awesome. I never knew cleaning my injectors could retune my car. Cheers bro!
Car. With Wheels.
Licence. With Suspension.
Bank Account. With Negative Balance.. Thanks NSWPOL!

Offline SSS

• Administrator
  • post whore
« Reply #19 on: Sep 18, 2005, 11:10PM »
Man that's awesome. I never knew cleaning my injectors could retune my car. Cheers bro!

It also "magically" retunes your ignition timing in the rom in your ecu right at the inherent flat spot that EVERY KA24E suffers from!

All flaming aside, so-called "ultra sonically cleaned" injectors will most likely leak internally while there is static fuel pressure when the car is off. I know my cleaned injectors certainly do. Waste of $130.

Offline BenZor

• antrx.com full member
« Reply #20 on: Sep 18, 2005, 11:17PM »
It also "magically" retunes your ignition timing in the rom in your ecu right at the inherent flat spot that EVERY KA24E suffers from!

All flaming aside, so-called "ultra sonically cleaned" injectors will most likely leak internally while there is static fuel pressure when the car is off. I know my cleaned injectors certainly do. Waste of $130.

What's a better alternative then? Just to replace them?
Car. With Wheels.

Offline SSS

• Administrator
  • post whore
« Reply #21 on: Sep 18, 2005, 11:21PM »
If you can, yes. Because they're 240cc/min high impedance injectors, they're not worth a lot compared to what's out there.

Offline RichTRX

• sth. oz local moderator
  • post whore
  • May the 4's be with you.
« Reply #22 on: Sep 19, 2005, 11:43AM »
That's not what I heard - last time I read something about injectors Nissan was asking what... $400 each for them? Or was that for all four?
His: 2001 Audi S4 biturbo quattro 6sp, Nogaro Blue/black leather recaros, microsilver trim, bose 10sp, SSAC 2.5" twin turboback, RS4 rear sway, 25% tint

Hers: MY99.5 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro GP Edition AVANT 5-sp, phantom black, black leather buckets/walnut/sunroof, 2.5" D&T Turboback, K04-015, N75J, 710N DV

Bro driving: 1990 Nissan Pintara TRX 5sp Red, 16" Rozzis, Lukey 4-2-1 ext, 2.5" full exhaust, hi-flow cat, cone cai, stg 3 chip,  low Kings, GT Gas shocks, Urethane bushings, slotted front rotors, 398000k and still going strong; 0-100 in around 7.2-7.4 seconds

Offline SSS

• Administrator
  • post whore
« Reply #23 on: Sep 19, 2005, 12:20PM »
Do not buy them genuine from nissan.

You should only replace the injectors as a last resort, after the following has been done:
-checked fuel pump pressure and operation of FPR
-changed fuel filter
-checked to make sure spark or lack of is not the problem
-checked the injector wiring to make sure it is getting the correct signal to the injector (a thing called a "noid" light is used)
-compression test
-remove the injectors and have them flow tested and spray pattern checked

if you can't afford to replace the injectors in one go, get them cleaned, but be warned that they will most likely drip small quantities of fuel when the car is off.

Offline RichTRX

• post whore
« Reply #24 on: Sep 19, 2005, 12:28PM »
is that only with ultra-sonic cleaning? What about more conventional cleaning methods?
His: 2001 Audi S4 biturbo quattro 6sp, Nogaro Blue/black leather recaros, microsilver trim, bose 10sp, SSAC 2.5" twin turboback, RS4 rear sway, 25% tint

Hers: MY99.5 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro GP Edition AVANT 5-sp, phantom black, black leather buckets/walnut/sunroof, 2.5" D&T Turboback, K04-015, N75J, 710N DV

Bro driving: 1990 Nissan Pintara TRX 5sp Red, 16" Rozzis, Lukey 4-2-1 ext, 2.5" full exhaust, hi-flow cat, cone cai, stg 3 chip,  low Kings, GT Gas shocks, Urethane bushings, slotted front rotors, 398000k and still going strong; 0-100 in around 7.2-7.4 seconds

Offline Chadza

• antrx cruise monkey
  • post whore
  • B4 what?
« Reply #25 on: Sep 19, 2005, 12:42PM »
u talking about using a pipe cleaner Rich? hehe

Benzor, time to turn the old "bullshit-o-meter" on with some peoples posts mate. ;)

Chad

First a Silver TRX, then a White TRX...whats next? Game Boy-Clear style TRX?

Offline BenZor

• antrx.com full member
« Reply #26 on: Sep 30, 2005, 11:29AM »
u talking about using a pipe cleaner Rich? hehe

Benzor, time to turn the old "bullshit-o-meter" on with some peoples posts mate. ;)

Chad

Hahah.

I just got quoted $145 per injector from nissan...so there goes that idea.. time to try other places =)
Car. With Wheels.

Offline RichTRX

• post whore
« Reply #27 on: Sep 30, 2005, 02:43PM »
must've been $400 something for all 4 that I heard. I couldn't remember whether it was each or all four.

And Chadza I thought you could dislodge most of the dirt by hitting the injector really hard with a hammer 10 or so times. It cleaned them so well that they didn't work any more.

Oh well  :-\ Only kidding :)

Offline SSS

• Administrator
  • post whore
« Reply #28 on: Sep 30, 2005, 04:18PM »
http://www.tweakit.net/shop/index.php?cPath=57_40_48

$165 max for even 1600cc/min injectors. The closest you could get away with on a stock KA with a ecu re-tuned for the injectors is the 370cc/min ones.

Offline mike1988

• antrx.com full member
« Reply #29 on: Oct 13, 2005, 04:38AM »
i just shift 1st,2nd,drive and i dont have any problems with the flat spot in my car which is an auto

Offline ashman01

• Thats Mr. Man01 to you.
  • post whore
  • Slowly getting there
« Reply #30 on: Oct 13, 2005, 08:14AM »
My friends Auto 90 Trx has a massive flat spot. Its as if its not getting enough petrol and is choking around the spot. Its even worse when u drive it. Mine has 1 that is noticable but i hardly ever hit it. Normal driving = change at about 2700rmp and fast driving = changes at 4-5000rmp so it doesnt worry me that much.

Offline BenZor

• antrx.com full member
« Reply #31 on: Oct 14, 2005, 01:37PM »
My friends Auto 90 Trx has a massive flat spot. Its as if its not getting enough petrol and is choking around the spot. Its even worse when u drive it. Mine has 1 that is noticable but i hardly ever hit it. Normal driving = change at about 2700rmp and fast driving = changes at 4-5000rmp so it doesnt worry me that much.
I don't think its underfuelling, I'm pretty sure looking at the fuel maps it overfuels
Car. With Wheels.

Offline ashman01

• post whore
  • Slowly getting there
« Reply #32 on: Oct 14, 2005, 05:18PM »
I new that im just saying the result feels like its underfueling, like its chugging even tho its getting 2 much fuel.

Offline dobz

• new kid on the block
« Reply #33 on: Oct 20, 2005, 01:40PM »
I've had my car for a couple days now and i havent really noticed a flat spot it doesnt pull quite as hard down low but thats 2 be expected, but nothing like the engine is struggling.

Offline ashman01

• post whore
  • Slowly getting there
« Reply #34 on: Oct 21, 2005, 05:38PM »
its different in every car. My friends car is an extreme. My car u can feel it especialy when u arent going fast in a high gear and then start accelerating, once it hits 2700 then it feels alot faster.

but if ur going thru the gears normaly u cant feel it in my car. u cant feel it in first at all,

Offline Chadza

• antrx cruise monkey
  • post whore
  • B4 what?
« Reply #35 on: Oct 21, 2005, 05:44PM »
its different in every car. My friends car is an extreme. My car u can feel it especialy when u arent going fast in a high gear and then start accelerating, once it hits 2700 then it feels alot faster.

Thats called having only a 4 cyl engine with a chunky 10kg crankshaft. :P

Chad
First a Silver TRX, then a White TRX...whats next? Game Boy-Clear style TRX?

Offline camo

• new kid on the block
« Reply #36 on: Oct 29, 2005, 10:40AM »
I had this flat spot problem, it felt like lack of fuel and sure enough yesterday the fuel pump sh*t itself

Offline FalconGuy

• new kid on the block
« Reply #37 on: Oct 29, 2005, 04:30PM »
I had this flat spot problem, it felt like lack of fuel and sure enough yesterday the fuel pump sh*t itself
You are also turboed but arent you camo??? Surely that would exacerbate the problem?

As a side note, I had an ANTRX Stage III Chip fitted yesterday to my relatively stock KA24E and though I didn't notice much of an outright power improvement (I didnt expect it on my engine)  BUT it pulls a hell of alot cleaner all through the rev range with no chuggs, flat spots or 'misses'. Idle is also alot more stable and smoother.

Cheers,
Brendan

Offline STU84W

• antrx.com junkie
  • Sifu
« Reply #38 on: Oct 30, 2005, 01:33AM »
isn't installing the stage 3 chip with no mods a bad thing?  i mean, i'm just going by the recommendations, but stage 2 would have been more appropriate for the unmodified..

i've got a stage 2, with a pod filter and catback, pulls nice and evenly through the range... 
Project Siltara has been chipped, nismofied and getting exhausted

Offline FalconGuy

• new kid on the block
« Reply #39 on: Oct 30, 2005, 01:22PM »
Perhaps it is? I'd say it would be more of a bad thing if I ran it on regular unleaded and changed the oil every 25,000KM with BiLo Special! However, I have regular services with the good oil and am always on 98 Octane (Ultimate).

I have a CAI and Catback too. WIth a bit of work around the head.

Cheers,
Brendan

Offline Milford

• resident clown
  • post whore
« Reply #40 on: Oct 30, 2005, 01:40PM »
stage 3 is fine for a stock car. its just it will have more effect on a car with a bit more work done to it.

those mods will support it nicely brendan

Offline Trx

• antrx.com full member
  • 1990 Tr.x white
« Reply #41 on: Nov 7, 2005, 09:33PM »
H, if you read this, you are an absolute fucking idiot. You just have no clue whatsoever do you? Trying to get your post count up to post in for sale i see?

LMFAO hahahahahahah .. funny.

Offline Jono

• The Wise Man
  • Global Moderator
  • post whore
  • memory boy!
« Reply #42 on: Nov 8, 2005, 01:51AM »
Mate, don't drag up threads just to "ROFL LMFAO LOL hahahaha" at something someone posted months ago.

SSS always gives noobs shit, it's the way he is. I bet he'll give you a mouthful for that post.
#1 Post Wh0re
pringles was here!