Author Topic: BLACK SMOKE, ROUGH IDLE, HAS NO BALLS!!!!  (Read 2029 times)

Offline SUSU13

• antrx.com newbie with pewbies
BLACK SMOKE, ROUGH IDLE, HAS NO BALLS!!!!
« on: Jan 4, 2010, 09:17AM »
 :'( hi guys, i was drving my 94 bluebird the other night and all of a sudden after doing like 80 km/h on a road i come to a halt and then bam the revs play up and it shuts off???? well kept driving it same thing, got home and woke up the next mornong to start it in the cold and walked behind my car and all this black smoke was coming out of the exhaust whilist idleing cold, then if you rev it abit then the revs drop and go all over the place! cant really drive it without revving it to keep it alive. i really need help, people are saying its the idle control thing, AFM or other things, any help is much appreciated, please comment i need all the feedback and knowledge i can get in oreder to fix this, once again thanks!

Lev

Offline SUSU13

Re: BLACK SMOKE, ROUGH IDLE, HAS NO BALLS!!!!
« Reply #1 on: Jan 4, 2010, 12:14PM »
i went to a mechanic today and he said it might be O2 sensor. because to musy fuel the engines taking thus flooding it or smething like that? anyways i forgot to mention that 2 weeks ago i was running 75mm tubing to get more air into the stock air filter, it was running fine but then started to hesitate so i toook it out and now everything is back to stock. also today the mechanic said due to the black smoke was becuase the car was running rich??? how???? anyways all help is greatly appreciated and all feedback welcome!

Offline Colby

• post whore
  • KA24DE powered TRX
« Reply #2 on: Jan 4, 2010, 10:45PM »
My car was playing up like that a few years back.  Idled like crap, and plenty of smoke.  Had the cops pull me up telling me to get it fixed immediately.
Give the airflow meter and O2 sensor a bit of a clean, change your spark plugs (they will be caked with soot) and once you've done that try adjusting the timing slightly.
I changed over my plugs and cleaned out the intake and it cleared it up.

I suppose it could be an idle control valve but not sure that would affect it too much at 80km/h.

Offline SUSU13

« Reply #3 on: Jan 4, 2010, 10:54PM »
kk cool thanks alot, how do you adjust the timing, whats involved?? wheres the 02 sensor??

Offline Colby

• post whore
  • KA24DE powered TRX
« Reply #4 on: Jan 4, 2010, 11:14PM »
O2 sensor is right there on the exhaust manifold, easy to get out.
Adjust the timing by losening the distributor (two 10 maybe 12mm bolts) and twisting one way or the other with engine running to find the spot where it runs best.
MAF is in the intake system after the airbox.

Offline SUSU13

« Reply #5 on: Jan 4, 2010, 11:28PM »
ooooo beautiful thankyou heaps, i was just going to ask i have my old air box but thedude before me had ripped of the netting wire thing inside the box, i think it measuares how much air goes in, would this cause a propblem?? also how would i take the O2 sensor out . . .