Author Topic: Amp Wiring  (Read 2471 times)

Offline Westy

• antrx.com junior member
  • '90 TRX
Amp Wiring
« on: Apr 14, 2003, 12:43PM »
ok, so i got myself a new amp and my only problem is can i plug the amp into one of the larger wires behind the fusebox or do i have to connect it directly to the battery and in doing so have to pull half the dash apart to get to the firewall???

There is a large wire behind the fusebox which looks like 4 guage wire, so can i just plug the amp into that or am i risking having power supply issues???

i don't know what that wire supplys but it looks like it goes to the relays located above the fusebox.

any help would be muchly appreciated.

thanks.

Offline Nizzan

• antrx cruise monkey
  • antrx.com junkie
  • I am NOT a llama!!
Re:Amp Wiring
« Reply #1 on: Apr 14, 2003, 12:49PM »
Amp power cable must go to direct to the battery, thru the firewall. dont rip the dash apart, reach under and you should find some holes leading to the engine bay (Rubber plugs may be blocking them so just have a look around for an aproprioate place to feed the wire through) The Negative (which must be of same guage value) must be connected to the chasis. Finally, the remote cable from the amp must be connect to the headunit (this acts as a switch, turning the amp on and off, without it, the amp would be on 24/7 and ur battery would die overnight without a doubt!

hope this helps, good luck!

Offline Westy

• antrx.com junior member
  • '90 TRX
« Reply #2 on: Apr 14, 2003, 02:15PM »
ok, i've had a look for holes that i ca get cables through from the engine bay, but i can't locate them inside the car.

In the TRX can anyone give me any ideas where i can look to find a hole in the firewall that i can use????

thanks.

Offline noss

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • great scott!
    • antrx
« Reply #3 on: Apr 14, 2003, 02:23PM »
there is one that you can use in the passenger side, not exactly in the firwall, but in that part of the structure i guess, and the wire will feed in behind the gaurd panel, and then you have to feed it into the cabin using another hole that is already there in the door jam. then you unscrew the scuff plates & poke the wire down under the carpet.

your other choice, which is better for less alternator noise thru your speakers, is to attach a consuit to the underside of the car, feed the wire thru that, and then feed the wire into the boot from say, for example, the spare tyre well, ir you use that option, its best to drill a new hole and fit it with a suitable rubber grommet so that the wire passes thr a water tight hole.

i believe that its also possible to run up to 8 gauge wire within the trx side skirts, but they're a bitch to get off.

http://polyfedelicio.us/imgs/ - free image hosting for whatever you like

Offline BEEFY_1600

• antrx.com junkie
  • 1968 Datsun 1600 FJ20ET GTX3076R
« Reply #4 on: Apr 14, 2003, 03:11PM »
dont run your wire under your car your exquipment is to expensive to risk it to a short and their is no reason wen the trx has the perfect spot on the fire wall as show in my pic and remember to fuse your cable with in 30cm of the bat and make shure u ground your amp with the same size thickness as power cable   heres a pic of th gromet

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Tim-E

• antrx cruise monkey
  • post whore
  • doof doof
« Reply #5 on: Apr 14, 2003, 05:58PM »
u have to use the same guage wire for the grounding of the amp??
i am using a tiny little wire (like speaker wire thickness), and 10 guage amp wire to the battery!

what is the reason for needing to use the same guage wire for grounding?
2.0L 4 -------> 3.0L 6. Does this mean a 4.0L 8 next?? or back to a 2.0L......turbo!

Offline Nizzan

• antrx cruise monkey
  • antrx.com junkie
  • I am NOT a llama!!
« Reply #6 on: Apr 14, 2003, 09:37PM »
reason? well - if a surge or an overload of charge is to enter your amp, the only way to dissipate it is either to the ground (via the ground wire to the chasis) or through your speakers connected to the amp, whether it be a sub or speaker.

If your earth cable is smaller than the input, then not as much charge is being released than is put in. You may risk blowing your speakers as charge is dissipated onto them.

Offline Nizzan

• antrx cruise monkey
  • antrx.com junkie
  • I am NOT a llama!!
« Reply #7 on: Apr 14, 2003, 09:43PM »
Westy, i think beefy has the idea - use something like that to feed the wire through. The best way is to use an electricians tongue strip or something similar. Find a hole, feed a long strip through until you see it appear through to the other side (Under the dash of the pass side). in the engine bay you should see two rubber plugs (unused) side by side in the firewall (pass side) - pull one of them off and you'll notice a hole. use this hole.

tape up the wire to the plastic strip and feed it through the hole - then attach the cable to the appropriate batt terminal.

Good luck!