Author Topic: i'm after a new amplifier...  (Read 9220 times)

Offline noss

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • great scott!
    • antrx
i'm after a new amplifier...
« on: Feb 27, 2003, 01:29PM »
well, as most people would know, my stereo was stolen at the end of january, and it has come to the point where i am sick to death of having no music to listen to in the car. of course, this isnt something i will be able to grab all in one go, as stereos cost a pretty penny. so i'm asking everyone's opinions so i can start shopping around for good prices.

so, my question for everyone today is, is there an amp (2 or 4 channel) around that you would recommend that would acheive  around the 250w (peak) / 125w (rms) per channel.

http://polyfedelicio.us/imgs/ - free image hosting for whatever you like

Offline ZEXTCY

• antrx.com junkie
  • I dare ya
Re:i'm after a new amplifier...
« Reply #1 on: Feb 27, 2003, 03:29PM »
There`s quite a few actually - The best one to buy according to price and reliability is Alpines V12 series amps.  I haven`t read up on the new series of amplifiers in there range so can`t comment too much on them but going off there last couple of series they are only getting better so the new ones should be a great little unit indeed.

I had 3 of there old series V12`s in my old comp. car which came runners up in the state championships in Qld. a few years ago.  I was very impressed with them, my mate who had all the top reference series amps in his car int he same year took out the state pro championship series 2 years in a row using Alpine equipment.

So in theory to this i would be looking at the Alpine series as they are one of the most important aspects to a quality system.  Team this with a Alpine or Clarion head unit and you can make even the shitiest speakers sound good.

You can have the best speakers in the world but if you don`t have good sound processing equipment to get the sound to them they are going to sound like shit.

Any other questions just ask
What is the point of a signature, who REALLY reads it??

Offline BEEFY_1600

• antrx.com junkie
  • 1968 Datsun 1600 FJ20ET GTX3076R
« Reply #2 on: Feb 27, 2003, 03:39PM »
I have a vnett 4x150wrms but u cant get em any more id look at a jaycar 2x150 unless your in to sq becasue their a great value for money amp

Offline noss

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • great scott!
    • antrx
« Reply #3 on: Feb 27, 2003, 03:49PM »
sound quality is a big part of my system, i dont listen to doof doof music, i listen to heavy metal & alternative rock. actually, i lie, i listen to doof doof music, i used to own the crystal method cd, but it got nicked.

most of the time i'm listening to nine inch nails, placebo, fear factory, smashing pumpkins, filter, stabbing westward, marilyn manson etc.. i'm sure you have the idea..

this amp will be to power a pair of kicker 6.5" splits, which i didnt realise until after i put a deposit on them, that they require BIG power.

i'll be buying a jvc head unit. i've had a few head units that i liked demo'd to me, and the jvc, running on the same equipment, blew the others away.

Offline mitza

• antrx.com junkie
« Reply #4 on: Feb 27, 2003, 04:09PM »
yeah, you want sound quality, go an alpine. Having said that, it will set you back well over a grand for the top of the line one.

In all honesty, I got given a jar car amp for my Birthday from some mates.

Its rated at 4 X 100w RMS and believe you, thats an understatement, according the the tests ive read on them.

Ive never used any other brand of amps so I cant really say my opinion isnt bias. But what I can say is that if sound quality is what you are after, this is could be a good amp and well priced.

As it is a 4 channel, I have 2 channels bridged into one running my sub. So obivously, its getting more that 100 w RMS.
The other 2 channels are running my overdrive 6.5 inch splits up front.
Weasel knows how good these splits sound too :) Quality wise, they are awesome! And I know speakers make a difference, and these are top speakers, but as you said, the amp has to be good, and I cant see a thing wrong with this jay car amp, especially for its value :)

Here are some specs on the jar car amp I use. Hope it helps, if not, its some food for thought!!!

This amplifier will give 100WRMS x 4 channels into 8 ohm, or 150WRMS x 4 into 2 ohms, or with the channels bridged 300WRMS x 2 into 4 ohms, at distortion of 0.05%. Other features include variable input sensitivity 0.25 to 2.5 volts, variable crossover on both front and rear channels from 40 - 120Hz at 12dB/oct, high and low pass switchable. Bass boost front and rear, variable 40 to 120Hz at 0 to +18dB variable. High quality gold plated power and loudspeaker connections, power 4 gauge, speakers 8 gauge, easily accessable blade fuses.
- Ideal for our double magnet subs.

Specifications:
- Power/channel @ 4 ohms 100WRMS x 4
- Power/channel @ 2 ohms 150WRMS x 4
- Power/channel bridged @ 4 ohms 300WRMS x 2
- Frequency response 10Hz to 30 kHz +/-1dB
- Total harmonic distortion 0.05%
- Input sensitivity 250mv to 2.5V
- Signal to noise ratio 90dB
- Crossover frequency (front/rear)
Low pass 12dB/oct 40 -120Hz variable
High pass 12dB/oct 40 -120Hz variable
- Bass boost (front/rear)
Low pass 12dB/oct 40 - 120Hz variable
- Boost frequency 40 - 100Hz variable
- Boost level 0 - +18dB variable
- Dimensions 245 x 55 x 430mm.

yeah, well here is the link too..lol..........

http://www1.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=AA0435&CATID=24&keywords=&SPECIAL=&form=CAT&ProdCodeOnly=&Keyword1=xxxxxxxxxx&Keyword2=xxxxxxxxxx&pageNumber=&priceMin=&priceMax=&SUBCATID=595

shaunk

« Reply #5 on: Feb 27, 2003, 04:14PM »
Fusion amp.

That is all.

Offline Nizzan

• antrx cruise monkey
  • antrx.com junkie
  • I am NOT a llama!!
« Reply #6 on: Feb 27, 2003, 04:27PM »
I agree with the Jaycar Response ones. They are extremely good value for money, no BS with these amps

Offline aussie-gli

• post whore
  • CA20E GLi (1998 -> 2008) U12 TRX (2020 -> ...)
« Reply #7 on: Feb 27, 2003, 10:46PM »
I agree with the Jaycar Response ones. They are extremely good value for money, no BS with these amps

That is one crazy amp... I've seen them in action and get get them at wholesale price... BEST value for money.
Lisa: Dad, we did something very bad! Homer: Did you wreck the car? Bart: No. Homer: Did you raise the dead? Lisa: Yes. Homer: But the car's okay? Bart & Lisa: Uh-huh. Homer: All right then.

Offline noss

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • great scott!
    • antrx
« Reply #8 on: Feb 28, 2003, 08:37AM »
well, sound quality is a big thing, but i dont really think it would require a $1k+ alpine amp.

Offline ZEXTCY

• antrx.com junkie
  • I dare ya
« Reply #9 on: Feb 28, 2003, 01:05PM »
The type of amp your looking for would be around 600 for an Alpine.
What is the point of a signature, who REALLY reads it??

orion_ti

« Reply #10 on: Mar 11, 2003, 03:26PM »
alpine gear can be pretty pricy

i have a blaupunkt mpa680 and that has plenty of go.
jbl power range might be a goer. check the 180.2

if your really really serious about sound quality - check microdimension (micro as in the little u as its symbol)