Author Topic: Stereo Install Help  (Read 2987 times)

Offline FANC_ME

• Heaven Wont Have Me And Hell Thinks Ill Take Over
  • post whore
Stereo Install Help
« on: Jul 29, 2003, 11:03AM »
Ok, I hope someone can help me with this...

On the weekend decided to install a tape deck into my mums stocko GEMINI. Now once we finally worked out the wires and shit ( they made no sense at all!)
All was well until the next day when i thought to start the car, and damn the battery was flat!
Had the stereo hooked up to permanent power(the horn)

Is now hooked up to an indicator so at least it wont flatten the battery...

Anyone know how i can hook up permanent power????

Cheers guys
Well-well look. I already told you: I deal with the god damn customers so the engineers don't have to. I have people skills; I am good at dealing with people. Can't you understand that? What the hell is wrong with you people?

Offline noss

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • great scott!
    • antrx
Re:Stereo Install Help
« Reply #1 on: Jul 29, 2003, 11:27AM »
ah.. was there ever a tape player in there in the first place? surely it had a radio? hehe.. if there was, there should have been 2 power cables hooked up to it, generally, red is power for when the ignition is in the 'on' position, and if the old gemini has an accesories position, then there will be a yellow wire which is also power (but for accesories)

if the gem doesnt have an accesories position on the ignition, chances are you can only run the radio when the engine is on, because that would mean that nothing runs while the engine is off.

http://polyfedelicio.us/imgs/ - free image hosting for whatever you like

Offline FANC_ME

• post whore
« Reply #2 on: Jul 29, 2003, 11:55AM »
Yeah it had a tape player!!!!

It has  ACC....

We have it as yellow=permanent power
                       red= Accessories

And yeah the old tape deck did run when the engine was off....(hence the Acc in the ignition)

But none of the wiring makes sense.

Ok. Do u agee that each speaker needs two wires going to it?? One + and one -

Well this car doesnt!!! the wiring is so back the front and upside down ud think a pre-schooler put it together
« Last Edit: Jul 29, 2003, 12:06PM by noss »
Well-well look. I already told you: I deal with the god damn customers so the engineers don't have to. I have people skills; I am good at dealing with people. Can't you understand that? What the hell is wrong with you people?

Offline noss

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • great scott!
    • antrx
« Reply #3 on: Jul 29, 2003, 12:11PM »
sounds like its all fun & games.. so how come you have the power hooked up to an indicator if there was already a power lead there?

if i'm following you correctly, then the yellow in the gem is power, the red in the gem is accesories, which would mean that, the red on the new tape player would connect to the yellow on the gem & the yellow on the tape deck connects to the red on the gem??

one thing you could do, is locate the fuse box, there will be fuses for things that work on accesories, and fuses that work for things when the engine is running, hook up the wires on your tape deck to a corresponding fuse ('on' & 'acc')

Offline FANC_ME

• post whore
« Reply #4 on: Jul 29, 2003, 12:15PM »
Stupood Stupood me!!!!

We couldnt work out the permanent power wire so we just ran wire straight from the new tape deck to the  horn....

I tell ya, the wires are so confusing...

Offline noss

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • great scott!
    • antrx
« Reply #5 on: Jul 29, 2003, 12:39PM »
yeah it can be pretty bad sometimes.. there'd probably be instructions on the net somewhere for installing aftermarket radios into geminis..

Offline BEEFY_1600

• antrx.com junkie
  • 1968 Datsun 1600 FJ20ET GTX3076R
« Reply #6 on: Jul 29, 2003, 01:28PM »
you will only have consant power to headunits if the have a clock on them or digital presets on radio if not their is nne and u will have to runn your own

Offline BEEFY_1600

• antrx.com junkie
« Reply #7 on: Jul 29, 2003, 01:31PM »
you will only have consant power to headunits if the have a clock on them or digital presets on radio if not their is nne and u will have to runn your own

Offline FANC_ME

• post whore
« Reply #8 on: Jul 29, 2003, 02:51PM »
Yeah, have both... Not sure what u mean though....

Offline BEEFY_1600

• antrx.com junkie
« Reply #9 on: Jul 29, 2003, 08:13PM »
did the old headunit  have a clock or digital presets?

Offline jayjay

• antrx.com senior member
  • TRXXX
    • featured
« Reply #10 on: Jul 30, 2003, 01:33AM »
what he means is that if you have a HU that has a clock or preset radio , it needs to have a wire driectly to the battery ( usually with a 10 or 15 ao fuse on it ) that draws a small current to keep the memory of these devices going ,
if the car does not already have one of these wires , you would have to run a constant power wire from the head unit , through the power wall and to the battery )

well i thikn thats right
ta
jayjay
Check it out, it's like this. If I lose, winner takes my happy meal. But If I win, I take the burger AND the TOY. To some people that's more important

Offline BEEFY_1600

• antrx.com junkie
« Reply #11 on: Jul 30, 2003, 04:10PM »
thanks jay ajy for clarifiying that for me