Author Topic: new cd deck help!  (Read 5210 times)

Offline Pinsair

• ka24e owner
  • post whore
new cd deck help!
« on: Jun 5, 2003, 10:30PM »
i just bought a new deck and put it in and nothing works apart from the flashing LED when u remove the face and the cd eject button, it also "sucks" cds in but once there in nothing else happens no sound no action on the screen, it doesnt even light up.  Any ideas what this might be? i'm pretty sure i connected all the right wires and shit.
plz help   :(

Offline RichTRX

• sth. oz local moderator
  • post whore
  • May the 4's be with you.
Re:new cd deck help!
« Reply #1 on: Jun 5, 2003, 10:33PM »
Can you hear the CD player initialising the CD? ie... spinning it up, etc?
His: 2001 Audi S4 biturbo quattro 6sp, Nogaro Blue/black leather recaros, microsilver trim, bose 10sp, SSAC 2.5" twin turboback, RS4 rear sway, 25% tint

Hers: MY99.5 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro GP Edition AVANT 5-sp, phantom black, black leather buckets/walnut/sunroof, 2.5" D&T Turboback, K04-015, N75J, 710N DV

Bro driving: 1990 Nissan Pintara TRX 5sp Red, 16" Rozzis, Lukey 4-2-1 ext, 2.5" full exhaust, hi-flow cat, cone cai, stg 3 chip,  low Kings, GT Gas shocks, Urethane bushings, slotted front rotors, 398000k and still going strong; 0-100 in around 7.2-7.4 seconds

Offline Pinsair

• ka24e owner
  • post whore
« Reply #2 on: Jun 5, 2003, 10:43PM »
no, i cant. it goes in, then nothing, i press every other button still nothing no loading/spinning noise, until i press eject and it comes out

Offline ZEXTCY

• antrx.com junkie
  • I dare ya
« Reply #3 on: Jun 5, 2003, 10:47PM »
double check every connection on the player
if there all right then you`ll need to take player back to place of purchase and get an exchange item

ohhh - check all the fuses too
What is the point of a signature, who REALLY reads it??

Offline Pinsair

• ka24e owner
  • post whore
« Reply #4 on: Jun 5, 2003, 10:49PM »
arr ok, damn i was hoping there might be some simple thing i wasnt doin, thanks for the help.

James

« Reply #5 on: Jun 6, 2003, 12:55AM »
what sort of head unit is???
i had a similar problem installing a pioneer deck and was fustrated at it for hours till i realised i hadnt pressed the "source" button to actually turn it on!
maybe try that!???!

good luck champ

Offline Nizzan

• antrx cruise monkey
  • antrx.com junkie
  • I am NOT a llama!!
« Reply #6 on: Jun 6, 2003, 01:55AM »
some decks lock up when incorrect power is applied, or when a short occurs. Try resetting the unit, ie - connecting both the battery line and acc line from the headunit (Usually red and yellow wire on most modern decks) to the battery (fused of course) and wait for it to light up. if it works - then yeah just needed a reset, if not - then get ur receipt and return it, its probly fried or faulty.

Good luck!!

Offline Pinsair

• ka24e owner
  • post whore
« Reply #7 on: Jun 6, 2003, 09:24AM »
arr its a vdo but i've pressed liek every button so i'm pretty sure it aint that.

how do u mean connect it to the battery? like straight to the battery? ie take the deck under the bonnet and put negative to the negative battery terminal etc?

Offline Westy

• antrx.com junior member
  • '90 TRX
« Reply #8 on: Jun 6, 2003, 10:54AM »
this sounds like a problem i had when i installed my deck in my TRX, make sure you have the Auxillery connected properly and the battery (always on 12V) connected properly, as it sounds like your auxillery ain't attached.

Hope that helps.

Offline Budgie

• Dr. B Udgie - AWD FTW
  • Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12-U13
« Reply #9 on: Jun 6, 2003, 12:20PM »

I had some issues with my JVC deck when I installed it in my corsair.  I didn't have the 'constant' connection, so it was loosing the settings everytime I turned off the ignition.

Check and double check your wiring Gli.  Its bound to be something.
« Last Edit: Jun 6, 2003, 12:23PM by Budginator »
dont piss me off with your pillarless shit captain snappy wrist

Offline Pinsair

• ka24e owner
  • post whore
« Reply #10 on: Jun 6, 2003, 07:25PM »
whats the auxilary?

Offline Pinsair

• ka24e owner
  • post whore
« Reply #11 on: Jun 6, 2003, 07:50PM »
ok i just tried connecting it directly to the battery and same deal again, teh cd eject button works and it sucks in cds but nothing else works, screen doesnt light up etc, however it wasnt earthed when i did this could this have anything to do with it, cos i think that maybe the earth wire is dodgy. :-\

Offline Nizzan

• antrx cruise monkey
  • antrx.com junkie
  • I am NOT a llama!!
« Reply #12 on: Jun 6, 2003, 08:07PM »
lol, its needs an earth so there is an electric circuit! but if its taking cds, then the wire is probably ok. So u have a VDO h/u? and the red security light flashes??
That light is only supposed to come on when the face is off! check that the face is on properly and that the wire connection behind the face and on the deck itself arent bend or stripped. The deck may not be detecting the face and think its not there!!

Offline Pinsair

• ka24e owner
  • post whore
« Reply #13 on: Jun 6, 2003, 08:14PM »
no i can only see the red light when the face is off and when the face is on the cd eject button works but no other buttons and the eject button will only work if there is a connection between teh face and the deck as thats the only way it is connected.

Offline Westy

• antrx.com junior member
  • '90 TRX
« Reply #14 on: Jun 7, 2003, 01:22AM »
thye auxillery is the wire that goes to the ignition key, so when you turn the key on the head unit will come on and vice versa.
But all radios also have a 12V constant connection to the battery, this is required to have the head unit remember all it's settings and stuff.

As i said before it sounds like you just have problems with the connection with these two wires.

Offline Nizzan

• antrx cruise monkey
  • antrx.com junkie
  • I am NOT a llama!!
« Reply #15 on: Jun 7, 2003, 09:39AM »
what model is it?

ey when u connected the yellow and red wire to the battery (direct), u pushed the power button yeah??

Just a note: VDOs can turn on without the ignition wire. if the batt connection is connected, then the unit will power on for 1 hr after you press the power button (Should be in the manual)

if all that doesnt work, then i think u should return the unit. The face is probably stuffed

Offline Pinsair

• ka24e owner
  • post whore
« Reply #16 on: Jun 7, 2003, 03:04PM »
umm its model cd138, yeh i pressed teh power button when it was directly connected to the battery.

weird thing is, that it was an ex display deck and it was working up until about five minutes before i bought it.

Offline BEEFY_1600

• antrx.com junkie
  • 1968 Datsun 1600 FJ20ET GTX3076R
« Reply #17 on: Jun 7, 2003, 03:52PM »
id take it back and get a refund it doesnt sound like its worth having if its got probs already and go and get a pioneer or jvc decks their quality ive got the top of the range pioneer and its sweet deck and i cant recomend them enough

Offline Pinsair

• ka24e owner
  • post whore
« Reply #18 on: Jun 7, 2003, 09:40AM »
i took it to one of my mates who is an electrical engineer and he sed it was the deck so i took it back, they gave me all my money back so yer, all good.

Offline Nizzan

• antrx cruise monkey
  • antrx.com junkie
  • I am NOT a llama!!
« Reply #19 on: Jun 7, 2003, 03:47PM »
good to hear!

BlakeyBoyR

« Reply #20 on: Jun 8, 2003, 06:02PM »
good to see everything worked out mate  :)  Let us know if the next deck installs ok

Offline Pinsair

• ka24e owner
  • post whore
« Reply #21 on: Jun 9, 2003, 12:24AM »
yep will do, i might pay strathfield a visit as they have sale on atm