Author Topic: Brake upgrades  (Read 3588 times)

Offline Luke

• 173kw @ all 4
  • sth. oz local moderator
  • antrx.com junkie
Brake upgrades
« on: Nov 1, 2005, 10:06PM »
Has anyone ever put bigger brakes on their atessa. I'm looking to get better braking capability and possibly make it easier to get replacement brake pads. I have 17 inch rims so a size increase wouldnt be an issue.
Jason reffering to the OzVR4 Forum... "Even their forum is slow" "FJ20.com on the other hand, yep that S12 does Mono's"

Offline bluebird

• antrx.com junior member
  • new kid on the block
Re: Brake upgrades
« Reply #1 on: Nov 2, 2005, 12:33PM »
I am thinking of same upgrade early in the new year.
I have some contacts who probably will have an answer.
Who ever finds a good upgrade first just post here for others to sus out.
I would probably like a caliper and rotor upgrade for my u13.
There will be something out there that can be adapted.
I will be in touch.

Offline phreeky

• antrx.com senior member
« Reply #2 on: Nov 2, 2005, 04:08PM »
ok well i'll hopefully have mine done soon

the big issue is not rim diameter, it's the space behind the spokes! the bigger calipers i've test fitted fit under the standard rims diameter wise quite easily, however they hit the spokes.

Offline Craazy

• Resident Attesa Driver
  • antrx cruise monkey
  • post whore
  • Lovin it long time
« Reply #3 on: Nov 2, 2005, 05:19PM »
standard nissan r32 gtr calipers and slightly larger discs are the go, straight changeover apart from the above mentioned clearance issue with the spokes of rims...

solution is to file off the nissan insignia and find a set of wheels that fit with clearance...

of course the other option is the gtr brembo calipers but i havent seen this performed

The Time Has Come To Battle It Out To The Death... SR24 vs KA24

The bluey must be revived to Life!!

Offline Luke

• 173kw @ all 4
  • antrx.com junkie
« Reply #4 on: Nov 2, 2005, 09:34PM »
So standard GTR calipers and rotors bolt straight on, or is there machineing to be done. Arent skylines 5 stud???
Jason reffering to the OzVR4 Forum... "Even their forum is slow" "FJ20.com on the other hand, yep that S12 does Mono's"

Offline phreeky

« Reply #5 on: Nov 3, 2005, 01:28PM »
the R32/Z32/S14 calipers bolt on, the calipers hit the spokes of the standard rims and by more than just the "nissan" on them (there's about 8mm or so in it i believe, so i'd want 12mm or so extra clearance personally). you have to get appropriate 4-stud discs (so similar diameter but a thicker disc - this is where the big advantage is coming from, giving a much better resistance to brake fade).

Offline Luke

• 173kw @ all 4
  • antrx.com junkie
« Reply #6 on: Nov 3, 2005, 09:02PM »
So, where do you get the discs from, do you get brembo's or something like that? Is this front back or both???

Offline phreeky

« Reply #7 on: Nov 4, 2005, 11:50AM »
fronts only, can get discs from places like DBA (i.e. something like Z32 ones but drilled for 4-stud, cos all the Z32 caliper upgraded silvia boys out there would need a similar/same thing so not uncommon).

Offline Pingu

• Blackbird
« Reply #8 on: Nov 4, 2005, 12:38PM »
One would have less problems with the Z32 or R32 M spec front brakes. I used the R32 GTR brakes

Either restud your hubs or drill your rotors to 5 stud.... then

The GTR R32 are considerably taller at 296x32 , and the caliper rotor clearance is nill when bolting onto U12. I had them turned down to 290mm from 296 at the front, to give adequate rotor clearance.

I "think" the R32 mspec and Z32 would bolt on no worries. Maybe someone who's done the Mpsec or z32 swap would know.

The rear is a different story , bolts on fine but theres no handbrake input in the gtr/r32/z32 rear caliper, so you must install a drum at the rear of the u12 attesa. Im not sure if the other u12's have drums or not. I just changed the caliper to a rear MR2 caliper which fitted over the ventilated rear discs , that also had the handbrake input.

Offline Craazy

• Resident Attesa Driver
  • antrx cruise monkey
  • post whore
  • Lovin it long time
« Reply #9 on: Nov 4, 2005, 04:48PM »
its not that much of a clearance problem if you were to get different wheels with a better offset, eg: a set of big brake offsetted silvia wheels.

you will have to change the wheels anyways to get them too fit full stop, i have not seen a set of 4 pots fit under standard wheels on a u12 or u13 ever.

as andy will say on his bluebird, he has restudded to 5 stud and has skyline standard wheels coz they are offset correctly to fit the calipers, by far the best way to go!

Offline Pingu

• Blackbird
« Reply #10 on: Nov 4, 2005, 07:18PM »
its not that much of a clearance problem if you were to get different wheels with a better offset, eg: a set of big brake offsetted silvia wheels.

you will have to change the wheels anyways to get them too fit full stop, i have not seen a set of 4 pots fit under standard wheels on a u12 or u13 ever.

as andy will say on his bluebird, he has restudded to 5 stud and has skyline standard wheels coz they are offset correctly to fit the calipers, by far the best way to go!

Choosing another wheel with the same offset as the skyline ones probably wont work. Its about caliper clearance of the spokes. That is not the same as offset , but goes hand in hand. One must measure from the rear of the spokes / protrusions to the mating face of the rim that meets the rotor hat.

Basically you need rims that are designed for 4 and + piston calipers...
The skylnie mags are 40 + , and so are the u13 bluebird ones,  but they wont fit over the brakes, because the spokes enter too much into the rim cavity.

Offline Luke

• 173kw @ all 4
  • antrx.com junkie
« Reply #11 on: Feb 7, 2006, 02:48PM »
Wouldnt you be able to just order a set of discs and calipers for a S13 and bolt them straight on? like from DBA or something. Someone in Australia must make a brake upgrade for a S13. They should be the same thing shouldnt they???

Offline Craazy

• Resident Attesa Driver
  • antrx cruise monkey
  • post whore
  • Lovin it long time
« Reply #12 on: Feb 7, 2006, 05:48PM »
the s13 brakes are acutally smaller than the U13 brakes. so the ones on your U13 would be the s13's upgrade

Offline Budgie

• Dr. B Udgie - AWD FTW
  • Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12-U13
« Reply #13 on: Feb 7, 2006, 08:58PM »
The U13 ATTESA stock brakes must be pretty good... I mean with slotted rotors and some good EBC or high quality bendix pads they the car will pull up hard with stocko calipers.

With the help of ABS of course ;)
dont piss me off with your pillarless shit captain snappy wrist