Author Topic: sound system help !!  (Read 3446 times)

Offline perthTRX

• antrx.com full member
  • ## CRUIZE ## ## BOOZE ## LeT LOOze !!
    • Jeff's Web home
sound system help !!
« on: Feb 7, 2003, 01:44AM »
http://
8)

just got a new pintara trx  90  red..it looks good in red ya know!!  anyway...I want to change the factory fitted sound system..Is there any way . i could do the whole setup with a 2 channel amp ...and 1 sub...  and still get good sound  with bass.I dont wanna mess with my boot area... as i often have to use it for stuff i carry. Ive got a budget of 1000 $  already got a kenwood cd deck in...  Any suggestions ...would be really welcome ...as i really wanna do it right.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline noss

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • great scott!
    • antrx
Re:sound system help !!
« Reply #1 on: Feb 7, 2003, 08:11AM »
with my sub, i have a box that is about 30cm deep x 60cm wide and about 60cm high. its only 25 litres (which is all my sub requires) and doesnt take up too much room, its kinda a triangle shape to match the rear of the seat.. it is best to put your sub in a box if you want good bass, even if they say they will work as a "free space" sub.

your best option if you want bass, but stacks of room in the boot, is to opt for either 6x9 or 7x10 speakers in the parcel tray (be sure to hide them as best you can from prying eyes) or get some 6" splits in the front doors. which ever way you go, if you take either of those two options, your looking at around $400+ for the speakers but the bass you get will be well worth it. kicker or jbl splits are awesome, but i'm sure some of the other members here can recommend other gear.

however, if you want a sub, and you dont mind losing a bit of room, go down to a good car audio store (read as, not autobarn or strathfield etc) & ask them about box requirements for the subs they sell. your best bet would be to run a single 12" sub, or if you can afford it, and the box isnt overly intrusive, a single 15" sub.

i used to run a single jbl 12" competition series sub off a cheap-ish sony 222w (around $280 or so) amplifier bridged to one channel. it worked a treat and i had plenty of bass. then i ran 4 6" 3 ways off a 240w kenwood amp (4 x 60)

provided your kenwood head unit is a decent item, you'd have no problems either running a sub of the amp and 4 6" 3 way speakers off the head unit, or, 6" splits in the front doors, and then something like 6x9's or 6" 3 ways of the head unit in the parcel tray. and then later on, you could upgrade with a 2nd amp if you wanted.

hope this helps you on the path to tight bass  8)
« Last Edit: Feb 7, 2003, 08:15AM by noss »

http://polyfedelicio.us/imgs/ - free image hosting for whatever you like

Offline SSS

• Administrator
  • post whore
« Reply #2 on: Feb 7, 2003, 10:35AM »
Sound deaden your front doors, especially the outer skin. I did that, and the difference with my mid bass was night and day. Best mod for the money.
As i've had a pair of 7x10's stolen from my car once before, i'd strongly recommend just replacing the rears with some 6.5" 2 ways. That way you can keep the factory covers to stop any potential thief from thinking you have a shit hot setup.

Offline aussie-gli

• post whore
  • CA20E GLi (1998 -> 2008) U12 TRX (2020 -> ...)
« Reply #3 on: Feb 7, 2003, 10:53AM »
I agree with sssgtr... get some 6.5" in the rear...
Invest in some good 6.5inch splits for the front...
Lisa: Dad, we did something very bad! Homer: Did you wreck the car? Bart: No. Homer: Did you raise the dead? Lisa: Yes. Homer: But the car's okay? Bart & Lisa: Uh-huh. Homer: All right then.

Offline RichTRX

• sth. oz local moderator
  • post whore
  • May the 4's be with you.
« Reply #4 on: Feb 7, 2003, 06:34PM »
Hey man ur TRX looks exactly the same as mine, even the colour coded mirrors!

My Sony 222w amp is screwed to the back of one of the fold down seats in the back and it uses no space to speak of but mine was installed be4 I got the car  ;) So far no sub  :'(
His: 2001 Audi S4 biturbo quattro 6sp, Nogaro Blue/black leather recaros, microsilver trim, bose 10sp, SSAC 2.5" twin turboback, RS4 rear sway, 25% tint

Hers: MY99.5 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro GP Edition AVANT 5-sp, phantom black, black leather buckets/walnut/sunroof, 2.5" D&T Turboback, K04-015, N75J, 710N DV

Bro driving: 1990 Nissan Pintara TRX 5sp Red, 16" Rozzis, Lukey 4-2-1 ext, 2.5" full exhaust, hi-flow cat, cone cai, stg 3 chip,  low Kings, GT Gas shocks, Urethane bushings, slotted front rotors, 398000k and still going strong; 0-100 in around 7.2-7.4 seconds

Offline BEEFY_1600

• antrx.com junkie
  • 1968 Datsun 1600 FJ20ET GTX3076R
« Reply #5 on: Feb 7, 2003, 08:23PM »
go to WWW.caradioaustralia.com thay will answer any car aduio questions
and are very nice peoples

Offline perthTRX

• antrx.com full member
    • Jeff's Web home
« Reply #6 on: Feb 8, 2003, 04:51AM »
http://

Thanks guys .. for all tha  info  and feedback i got... noss..u certainly came up with a lot of options..cheers man....Taking your suggestions I have decided to go with a 2 way 6.5 front doors .. as the ones already fitted are stuffed .(actually only one of them)...and put in a 8 inch sub where it fits best i suppose ?? .I m still thinking whether  i should change my rear speakers though as they sound quite allright...it s probably the factory fitted ones.  As i am on a budget i got two options...  either change  both the front and rear spekers.. or then just the front ..and add a sub   and amp...

Any suggestions on that guys... Cheers for the feedback anyway!!

Offline perthTRX

• antrx.com full member
    • Jeff's Web home
« Reply #7 on: Feb 8, 2003, 04:56AM »
Hey man ur TRX looks exactly the same as mine, even the colour coded mirrors!

My Sony 222w amp is screwed to the back of one of the fold down seats in the back and it uses no space to speak of but mine was installed be4 I got the car  ;) So far no sub  :'(

Hey my car ..doesnt have seats that fold down..im not sure will have a look today!!

Offline fmx_rider

• west oz local moderator
  • antrx.com senior member
  • TRX? Nope.........WRX!
    • Fmx_Rider's Motocross Site
« Reply #8 on: Feb 10, 2003, 12:10AM »
Hey PerthTRX,

I've just moved over to Perth from Victoria....where abouts are u from over here? I'm south of the river. Should catch up sometime...go crusing Melbourne style!

To keep on topic, I have 6 1/2 splits in the front, new 6x4's in rear, 10 inch sub, 4 channel amp and EQ, so could maybe give u some advice, or u could have a listen to mine.
MY98 WRX...work in progress: 3 inch SS turbo back exhaust, high-flow cat, K&N air filter, SPS silicone Y pipe kit, TMIC tilt mod & waterspray @ 8psi, scoop splitter, meshed MY99/00 frontbar + full colorcoding, clear indicators front/side, blue badge; Formula Ferodo TS2000 brake pads, Whiteline 22mm adustable rear swaybar with HD gold links, front strut brace; stereo consisting of Alpine, MB Quart, Eclipse & Rockford Fosgate components + IPOD dock...Next month LINK ECU & more boost (previous ride modded 1989 Pintara T)

Offline perthTRX

• antrx.com full member
    • Jeff's Web home
« Reply #9 on: Feb 10, 2003, 02:39AM »
Hey PerthTRX,

I've just moved over to Perth from Victoria....where abouts are u from over here? I'm south of the river. Should catch up sometime...go crusing Melbourne style!

To keep on topic, I have 6 1/2 splits in the front, new 6x4's in rear, 10 inch sub, 4 channel amp and EQ, so could maybe give u some advice, or u could have a listen to mine.

Hey fmx....

Thanks for the info... Yeah i would surely love to see ...what sorta sound  u  got hooked up  in your car...... I am gonna have to put my new amp installations on stall...  as i unfortunately reversed my car into a pole just yesterday......and got a big dent under the boot..so gonna have to spend that money on the panel beaters..but yeah we should catch up....and get more trx's members around