Author Topic: They're in.... damn it  (Read 4474 times)

Offline imaspy

• Captain Chaos
  • vic local moderator
  • post whore
  • DUN, DUN, DUUUUUUHHHN!!!!
    • A collection of some of my photography
They're in.... damn it
« on: Jan 30, 2003, 03:32PM »
rightio! got the 6x4 VDO speakers in the front.

main differences i've  noticed, the clarity on them is (obviously) far better than the old speakers. bass isnt as great, although i think i will drop in some 6" into the back parcel shelf. had a look at the from the boot the other day, and thankfully the carpet just needs to be trimmed, they must use the same shelf for the whole series. it'll take up to a 6 1/4" without modding, and i dont want to mod it.

however, knowing nissan, they wont have any wires running to the back in the gli so i will have to get it done - im gonna leave it to the professionals! (no not jb  :P).

my guy told me that the wire runs pretty much half way down the lume. ah well!

suggestions for the rear speakers? this is coming off a JVC headunit. thanks people.
You have friend, I have friend. My friend go to your house, put bomb under your floor and blow you to fucking sky!

shaunk

Re:They're in.... d*mn it
« Reply #1 on: Jan 30, 2003, 04:12PM »
Cadence 6x6 3 ways.  

Good if you want more bass.  IMHO.

Offline Resin

• i have 5 studs
  • nsw local moderator
  • post whore
    • Gardening Forum
« Reply #2 on: Jan 30, 2003, 08:47PM »
sansui 80 watt 3 ways are pretty good for bass if u dont want to install an amp or sub.....ive got them in mine (ina 12mm mdf parcel shelf) and there really good. (heaps of bass)............................. ..although before when they were screwed straight to the metal ...they lacked bass

Offline Tim-E

• antrx cruise monkey
  • post whore
  • doof doof
« Reply #3 on: Jan 31, 2003, 03:31PM »
the wires run pretty easily from the boot to under the rear seats. I have installed 6x9's and a sub and an amp in my GLi, and getting the wires through the boot is real easy.

2.0L 4 -------> 3.0L 6. Does this mean a 4.0L 8 next?? or back to a 2.0L......turbo!

mr azz

« Reply #4 on: Mar 23, 2003, 01:21PM »
get poineer 6.5" 3 ways
thats what i have in the back of mine its as simple as pulling the shelf out removing the olds in with the new's
no rattles or anything untill my sub went in the boot
just ripped up magazine and packed it in there works well to stop the shit

Pioneer Speakers and deck
Sony Amp and 12"
soon to be replaced by 2x pioneer 12" subs in costom box with poineer 1000 watt amp :)

orion_ti

« Reply #5 on: Mar 23, 2003, 05:05PM »
wiring = piece of cake.

just remember to get your + and - right (polarity on speakers, head unit etc etc) and you really wont go wrong.

Offline jimsair

• antrx.com junior member
  • Got rice?
« Reply #6 on: Apr 2, 2003, 11:17PM »
i have the sansui 80w 3ways as well. i agree they are a very good speaker if you're only running off the head unit. though is bass ever an issue with a 6" speaker? in my opinion with any speakers clarity is what you should be after, and let a sub take care of the bass.
« Last Edit: Apr 2, 2003, 11:19PM by jimsair »

Offline imaspy

• Captain Chaos
  • vic local moderator
  • post whore
« Reply #7 on: Apr 6, 2003, 08:20PM »
not necessarily.... once again i'm using my mate as an example... he recently installed into his integra, a VDO 4x40w head unit - not much you say?
some 5" splits in the front and 6.25" in the back, and shit you would swear there is an 8 or even 10 inch sub in the back.... which just goes to show, if you use top shelf stuff, you will get balanced[/i] deep bass and good mids/treble
You have friend, I have friend. My friend go to your house, put bomb under your floor and blow you to fucking sky!

Offline jimsair

• Got rice?
« Reply #8 on: Apr 7, 2003, 01:52PM »
How old is your mates integra? i know a girl with an 88 one, she's only running a sony head unit and the factory speakers and it sounds really bassy for some reason, the only reason i can think of is the way the sound resonates off the back window in the hatch. has anyone got any technical knowledge on why things sound a bit bassier in a hatch?

Offline Resin

• i have 5 studs
  • nsw local moderator
  • post whore
    • Gardening Forum
« Reply #9 on: Apr 7, 2003, 10:59PM »
from experience ...its how u mount the speakers !.   DONT MOUNT THEM IN THE METAL SHELF CAUSE U WILL GET RUBBISH SOUND. The metal just vibrates with the speaker which sounds S H I T.  I know THE FOLLOWING maybe a be a little tedious and a lot of work but u will all feel absolutely spectacular once it is done!. hehehehe    BUILD A PARCEL SHELF USING 12 MM MDF BOARD WITH SOME SOUND DEAD BETWEEN BOARD AND METAL AND SOME NICE CARPET FELT CRAP OVER THE TOP. THEN MOUNT THE SPEAKERS INTO THAT MAKING SURE THAT THE SPEAKERS FIT SNUGGLY INTO THEIR HOLES.

I AM NO SPEAKER SOUND WIZZ BUT I HAVE DONE this AND THE SOUND IMPROVEMENT AND ESP BASE WAS GREAT! :cwm17:

Offline BEEFY_1600

• antrx.com junkie
  • 1968 Datsun 1600 FJ20ET GTX3076R
« Reply #10 on: Apr 7, 2003, 11:51PM »
Speakers are not ment to play bass thats what subs are for and the bass u do hear form speakers is only mid bass which isnt real bass if u want bass buy a sub if not your only wasting your time and money

Offline imaspy

• Captain Chaos
  • vic local moderator
  • post whore
« Reply #11 on: Apr 8, 2003, 05:54PM »
Speakers are not ment to play bass thats what subs are for and the bass u do hear form speakers is only mid bass which isnt real bass if u want bass buy a sub if not your only wasting your time and money

1. take a breath there man :P

2. subwoofers are pretty much for amplifying bass frequencies. thats why you get these tools that drive around with their subs getting more vibration than a lesbian holiday resort. if you get the correct setup, and you arent a complete bass-nut, or simply do not require a deeper bass frequency, there is no real need to use a sub because the setup you have is adequate. you should hear his setup! for a non-sub'd system it is verrry deep. besides which, he doesn't listen to RnB or other bassy types of music. rock mainly, bit of dance and other things. its an excellent setup without going over the top on bass or price for that matter!

and jimsair, it's a 93 integra... really nice. however, the rear speaker pods in those kinda angle inwards at about stomach level (sitting) in the back seat, so i dont think the rear window has too much to do with it, although with the angle its on i wouldn't be surprised to find it could be of some use! :)

orion_ti

« Reply #12 on: Apr 9, 2003, 06:26PM »
real bass is below 60hz, which is where subs pick up where speakers leave...
u will find a lot of good speakers only provide mid-bass and cut of at around 60hz.

bass u can feel is below that 60hx mark.

Offline noss

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • great scott!
    • antrx
Re:They're in.... damn it
« Reply #13 on: Apr 9, 2003, 06:50PM »
i dont think it really matters, as long as each person is happy with their system, then its all good.

nismo's old trx didnt have a sub, but it had enough bass to make the roof vibrate. but that wasnt the effect he was after.

http://polyfedelicio.us/imgs/ - free image hosting for whatever you like

Offline Resin

• i have 5 studs
  • nsw local moderator
  • post whore
    • Gardening Forum
« Reply #14 on: Apr 9, 2003, 10:42PM »
nismo's old trx didnt have a sub, but it had enough bass to make the roof vibrate. but that wasnt the effect he was after.

hahah yea mine does that and its bloody annoying so i think i will rip out the roof liner and fix all of the vibrations up.... my little nodding dog nodds his head to the music ! when im stationary .hehe

Offline weasel

• antrx.com moderator
  • post whore
  • ooooweeeooooo
Re:They're in.... damn it
« Reply #15 on: Apr 9, 2003, 11:42PM »
Man i think your dogs head would explode if it was in my car :cwm28:

But thats the effect i was after overkill on bass so i'm not flogging the subs when i'm listening to it normally ( i like a bit more bass than most )
"Noss is God"

Offline jimsair

• Got rice?
« Reply #16 on: Apr 10, 2003, 01:43AM »
mid bass is still real bass...just not as low as sub bass. but i subscribe to the let the sub take care of the bass theory. if you want to make a lot of bass through a normal speaker you have to put a lot of watts through it, hence you risk distortion. if you worked it out, you'd find you get better bass per dollar from your system going with cheaper speakers and a cheaper sub+amp combination, than buying splits and flogging shit through them. splits cost what around $350? for the same money you can get an entry level xplod in a box with a little 2channel amp that even with a pair of shithouse $40 2ways  off the head unit, tune the gain and LPF on the amp right and you'd piss on your splits for bass while still getting reasonable clarity.

Offline Tim-E

• antrx cruise monkey
  • post whore
  • doof doof
« Reply #17 on: Apr 10, 2003, 12:49PM »
splits cost what around $350?

this reminds me. I knew a guy who worked at JB hi-fi would was leaving and was selling stuff to people he knew for their cost price + $10.

could of got pioneer 6 inch splits (220w i think) for about $170.
soooooo tempting, especially as they would be perfect for the front of me magna.
But, being so "addicted to bass" i am happy with me 6x9's and 12 inch sub  :smiliedisco1:
2.0L 4 -------> 3.0L 6. Does this mean a 4.0L 8 next?? or back to a 2.0L......turbo!