Author Topic: Basic set up  (Read 2617 times)

Offline Cle

• antrx cruise monkey
  • antrx.com senior member
  • Pinny Panthers
Basic set up
« on: Aug 31, 2003, 10:04PM »
A cd/raido head unit & 4 speakers is all i want :) Im looking for some bass but more then any thing a set up that i can run on the head unit alone (so at least 50 wat 4 ch) and speakers that i can punish a bit. Im willing to spend 200 on the head unit (max) and up too 100 per speaker but i could go to 120 if need be. A mate of mine has some of the cheap 80 wat $24 speakers, there not too bad but they do distort on high, nothing worse then distortion :\.

Offline noss

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • great scott!
    • antrx
Re:Basic set up
« Reply #1 on: Aug 31, 2003, 10:19PM »
whatyou should do is look at spending a little more money on the head unit as $200 isnt going to get you anything special.. as you say, distortion isnt great, and if you have a poor signal being produced then it doesnt matter how good your speakers are.

look at spending around $300-350 on your head unit. get speakers around the $130-150 a pair mark.. a good set of 3 ways in the front and a set of 6x9s in the rear for your bass. if you cant afford that straight up then buy the head unit & front speakers first, then down the track buy the rears.

jvc is good head unit wise, the cheaper end of the jvc range is far better thanthe cheaper end of most other brands. for speakers kenwood are pretty good.

http://polyfedelicio.us/imgs/ - free image hosting for whatever you like

Offline Cle

• antrx cruise monkey
  • Pinny Panthers
« Reply #2 on: Sep 1, 2003, 10:13PM »
Ive been looking at the basic Clarion CD Tuners, there normaly $265 but they were on special for $209 a while back. Do you think they would do the job ? there what i was original looking at.

Offline Nizzan

• antrx cruise monkey
  • antrx.com junkie
  • I am NOT a llama!!
« Reply #3 on: Sep 1, 2003, 10:16PM »
Yeah i agree with Noss on this one, JVC for the headunit definitely, they pump out A LOT of power.

Then just get some good 6x9s in the rear (Pioneer, Kenwood or Alpine) are all good for this purpose. U should be able to get a decent pair for about $100-$150

Then leave it, upgrade later with amps and front speakers down the track if you want  8)

Offline Nizzan

• antrx cruise monkey
  • antrx.com junkie
  • I am NOT a llama!!
« Reply #4 on: Sep 1, 2003, 10:17PM »
That is cheap for Clarion. Clarion have *very* good gear, especially for SQ. Check the power ratings to see if their good enough and if thats all good, i think u have a winner!! :thumbs:

Offline Cle

• antrx cruise monkey
  • Pinny Panthers
« Reply #5 on: Sep 2, 2003, 01:08AM »
« Last Edit: Sep 2, 2003, 01:09AM by Cle »

Offline bungs

• post whore
« Reply #6 on: Sep 2, 2003, 02:25AM »
For those on a budget, and all they want is a deck and four speakers, it doesn't really matter what deck is bought whether it be $200 or $300. They all usually come with 1 preout and are 4x45 or 4x50, so it really comes down to its appearance.

As for speakers, go into a car audio shop and listen to the speakers  for around the $100-$120 mark. It's really hard to recommend speakers, be it Pioneer, Kenwood or Alpine, because in that price range it comes down to what YOU like and what YOU think sounds good. No use buying $200 speakers if you thought that the $120 ones sounded better.

At the lowest end of the scale I would recommend 6.5in all round, around $220 for all four speakers and $200-$250ish for the HU. If you're a good haggler and are paying cash you could cut your bill by $30-$50.

For something a bit better, go for some 6.5in 3 ways for the front,($120) and some 6x9's for the parcel shelf. Once again listen to what speakers YOU think sound better around the $150 mark. You'll need to make a parcel shelf for the 6x9's though, around $15 for some 16mm MDF.

Offline Budgie

• Dr. B Udgie - AWD FTW
  • Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12-U13
« Reply #7 on: Sep 2, 2003, 01:08PM »
Just check out the RMS rating on any headunits you look at also.  My JVC deck has 19wrms output, and is a 4x50w unit.  Thats an alright output, but my mates Blaupunkt deck is also 4x50 but puts out something in the range of 25wrms.

My rear 6.5" 2 ways only cost me $84.  They are kenwood, rated for 40wrms.  They do the job fine.
dont piss me off with your pillarless shit captain snappy wrist

Offline Cle

• antrx cruise monkey
  • Pinny Panthers
« Reply #8 on: Sep 2, 2003, 06:33PM »
These are the stats for the DB235, same as the DB238 from what i can tell just a newer version.

detachable faceplate
electric blue LCD display
Magi-Tune tuner
18 FM/6 AM presets
seek tuning
preset scan
Z-Enhancer
Magna Bass EX
plays CD-Rs and CD-RWs
rear preamp outputs
clock
17 watts RMS/50 peak x 4 channels
CD frequency response 10-20,000 Hz
CD signal-to-noise ratio 100 dB
FM sensitivity 11 dBf

So it's 17 :) the MP3 version (see pic above) is rated at 20.