Author Topic: Bass queries????  (Read 3221 times)

Mr Trx

Bass queries????
« on: Aug 23, 2003, 11:05PM »
I have just recently bought my pintara trx 1991

It came 6" cerwin vega 60w speakers in the rear.. i wasnt too happy with the performance so i bought a pair of 230w 3 way sony xplod speakers for the rear. then i had to buy an amplifier which turned out to be a 600w blackmaxx 4 channel. then i had to spend my whold weekend building a parcel shelf, i used 16mm mdf (is that resnable thickness? ???) i cut 6x9 wholes then mounted it in the back but with the rear tail lamp i threw that out and moulded the rear spoiler and made a led module then slotted in the rear spoiler  :P. back to the parcel shelf, i put the sony's in the car hooked everythign up tested it with my existing sony head unit and i found that the bass when adjusted to 3 bars higher than middle (not much) the bass started to distort i wonder y when they say these speakers are rated soo good. but another thing when i move the balance either side of the rear, the bass is incredible(like a sub  :o) but it wont distort. can anybody help me and try and answer me y that happens.

thanks

Mr Trx

Re:Bass queries????
« Reply #1 on: Aug 23, 2003, 11:18PM »
the sony's are 6x9 by the way

Offline bungs

• post whore
« Reply #2 on: Aug 23, 2003, 11:28PM »
You're running the speakers out of phase, which means that the + and - from the amp don't go to the same + and - as both speakers. Make sure that you've got the + and - from the amp going to the same + and - on the speakers.

If the speakers don't show what the polarity is, grab a AA battery, and connect it up to the speaker. If the cone moves up, then the + is the terminal where the + side of the battery is connected.

You have to make sure that the polarity is right for all four speakers, otherwise it will sound like shit (speaking from personal experience   :P)

16mm is fine for the parcel shelf.

Mr Trx

« Reply #3 on: Aug 23, 2003, 11:36PM »
thanks.. ill test it soon and see if ur method is coerrect ill let u knwo as soon as posible if its helps

Mr Trx

« Reply #4 on: Aug 23, 2003, 11:44PM »
so wats ur sound experiance???

Offline SSS

• Administrator
  • post whore
« Reply #5 on: Aug 24, 2003, 12:08PM »
Sorry, but you could've done better than Xplod's.....

Mr Trx

« Reply #6 on: Aug 24, 2003, 12:32PM »
yea i know.. its just that i dont wont to go over my budget.. the speakers i was willing to get were the pioneer ts-d690r now they are excellent speakers ive heard them too. another thign my uncle has a pair of jensens in his bmw 635csi. now they sounded excellent maybe the best 6x9's ive heard. thsi awas a while ago about 1997  ;D. why are jensen's sold at superchaep auto and now being made in taiwan????? that is soo stupid.  bdw the speakers my uncle has are made in usa.

Offline SSS

• Administrator
  • post whore
« Reply #7 on: Aug 24, 2003, 02:50PM »
As long as you're happy with them. As for the distortion issue, i am in agreement with the phase being wrong.

Offline jayjay

• antrx.com senior member
  • TRXXX
    • featured
« Reply #8 on: Aug 24, 2003, 07:50PM »
yeah i agree to , the speakers sound reall  really worng if they are out of phase.
hey dude , you got any pics of your spoiler and the led bank you pu in , sounds interesting
*plots ideas*
ta
jayjay
Check it out, it's like this. If I lose, winner takes my happy meal. But If I win, I take the burger AND the TOY. To some people that's more important

Mr Trx

« Reply #9 on: Aug 25, 2003, 04:01PM »
mo sorry i dont but im telling u it looks awesome. but it hepls to have a sense of electronics.

Offline MR.TRX

• MMMMMM..... TRX...!!!
    • Mr.TRX
« Reply #10 on: Aug 25, 2003, 06:11PM »
Your name sounsds veeeeery familiar for some reason,
 but i can't seem to put my finger on it...??? ::) ::) ::)

I'M ONLY 2 PEOPLE SHORT OF A THREESOME!!!

Mr Trx

« Reply #11 on: Aug 25, 2003, 09:25PM »
lol

Offline jayjay

• TRXXX
    • featured
« Reply #12 on: Aug 26, 2003, 12:23AM »
any way you can take some pics? or where are you located , i might come look
im ok with elecs so i ight be alright
tah
jayajy
Check it out, it's like this. If I lose, winner takes my happy meal. But If I win, I take the burger AND the TOY. To some people that's more important