Author Topic: Capacitors and alternator whining  (Read 4003 times)

Offline Nizzan

• antrx cruise monkey
  • antrx.com junkie
  • I am NOT a llama!!
Capacitors and alternator whining
« on: Jul 16, 2003, 11:30PM »
Anyone know whether a cap will stop aleternator whining?? {in speakers}

Offline SmootH

• antrx.com full member
  • TRXTC
Re:Capacitors and alternator whining
« Reply #1 on: Jul 17, 2003, 01:14AM »
not too sure if i know what you mean, but if you are talking about a whining noise soming through your speakers it might be your head unit, come standard with all jvc head units i heard, i have the same problem, and also doesnt the capasitor connect before your amp, if so, i dont believe it will make any difference, please correct me if im wrong

Offline SmootH

• antrx.com full member
  • TRXTC
« Reply #2 on: Jul 17, 2003, 01:14AM »
not too sure if i know what you mean, but if you are talking about a whining noise soming through your speakers it might be your head unit, come standard with all jvc head units i heard, i have the same problem, and also doesnt the capasitor connect before your amp, if so, i dont believe it will make any difference, please correct me if im wrong

Offline Nizzan

• antrx cruise monkey
  • antrx.com junkie
  • I am NOT a llama!!
« Reply #3 on: Jul 17, 2003, 03:42AM »
Nah dont think its because of the headunit? I had a JVC before, now i have a VDO. And yeah i get the alternator whining. Seen it on several other systems too.

Speakers wired to the headunit are fine, its thru an amp i get the hum.
I just tried not to long ago moving the power wire away from the RCAs and the noise is nearly all gone, but can still hear it a bit. Not good enough!!   ::)

Been considering getting a cap for a while now, but i just thought bcoz a cap changes the power waves it might filter out the alternator noise ??

Sorry if ive confused u! :-\

Offline noss

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • great scott!
    • antrx
« Reply #4 on: Jul 17, 2003, 10:53AM »
isnt a noise filter just a type of capacitor? which would mean a capacitor would probably do the job yeah?

some people also suggest that, rather than putting a noise filter on the power cable to your amp, put it on the output of the alternator.

i'm sure you've looked on the net for help on supressing noise in your system, but if not, this is a fairly good page to help you out..

http://www.popularmechanics.com/automotive/sub_care_sat/2002/11/curing_radio_noise/print.phtml

http://polyfedelicio.us/imgs/ - free image hosting for whatever you like

Offline aussie-gli

• post whore
  • CA20E GLi (1998 -> 2008) U12 TRX (2020 -> ...)
« Reply #5 on: Jul 18, 2003, 12:38AM »
If you're getting a hiss or whine thru your speakers, it's probably because the RCAs are picking up noise...I first ran my RCAs down the driver side of my car and found that if my tail lights were on (brake lights/blinkers etc) I'd get a whine. (worked out that was becasue it was running alongside the loom running to the boot)... I relocated them to the centre of the car and has been sweet since.  A hum is usually a grounding issue.  Make sure there's a good clean ground to your head unit... It might be worth checkin out ur car's ground strap too. Mate had some isses because of that.  

Those little filters u get are indeed caps, they basically act as a low pass filter smoothing your power line  getting rid of a lot of noise.
Lisa: Dad, we did something very bad! Homer: Did you wreck the car? Bart: No. Homer: Did you raise the dead? Lisa: Yes. Homer: But the car's okay? Bart & Lisa: Uh-huh. Homer: All right then.

Offline noss

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • great scott!
    • antrx
« Reply #6 on: Jul 18, 2003, 11:33AM »
yeah, just install the noise filter as close to the amp as possible, a lot of people install them a fair way away and the cables end up picking up noise after the filter  :P

Offline SSS

• Administrator
  • post whore
« Reply #7 on: Jul 29, 2003, 11:55AM »
And run your RCA leads AWAY from your power cable. That's where the alternator whine is coming from.

Offline Nizzan

• antrx cruise monkey
  • antrx.com junkie
  • I am NOT a llama!!
« Reply #8 on: Jul 30, 2003, 06:21PM »
theyre on opposite sides, i made certain of that when i installed it  ;)

its only thru the Audioline amp, all the others are fine.
Audioline may not have internal caps to filter the noise methinks??
oh well, i played around with the wires and there was a tiny cross in the boot of wires where the RCAs overlaped the hotline, so i put a piece of hardboard between them and it was all fine.  ???  ;D

Offline chucky

• CRUISE MONKEY
  • post whore
  • WHERES MY STICKER?
« Reply #9 on: Jul 31, 2003, 12:29AM »
i get some noise, im not sure if its the same thats being talked about in this thread, however it seems to have something to do with the accelerator pedal... when the noise is around (around every hour or so of listening) it gets louder as i push the pedal down... my RCA cables are run down the passenger side of my car whilst the power cable is down the drivers side of the car... i havent got a great spot for grounding... im using the jack located in the boot as im not sure where else to ground it? any suggestions? and is it true that it has to be ground to bare metal else it'll fuck up my car's electronics? *shrugs* someone plz help, the noise seems to be getting louder....
What do ralliart do??? make stickers???

Offline Tim-E

• antrx cruise monkey
  • post whore
  • doof doof
« Reply #10 on: Jul 31, 2003, 01:50PM »
speaking of whining noises coming from cd players, i have a weird one!
if i put the radio on AM frequency, and set it to some weird station which isnt a station at all, its just static, and then drive, well its the funniest shit ever.

The whinning static noise increases in volume depending on the revs of my car. It sounds bloody hilarious. How the hell can this be happening?
2.0L 4 -------> 3.0L 6. Does this mean a 4.0L 8 next?? or back to a 2.0L......turbo!

Offline noss

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • great scott!
    • antrx
« Reply #11 on: Jul 31, 2003, 02:29PM »
chuckky, yes ground to bare metal... check your rcas arent near the loom either, if you have a look at my car at the moment its a prime example of how not to wire up amps & the likes.. i did some really stupid shit & i dont know what in the end :P but i have power cables crossing rcas and rcas wrapped around the loom & the ground wire for some odd reason running around the amp to a grounding point when there was another grounding point closer.. i have no idea why i did things the way i did, but i can say i was in a hurry when i did it all.

Offline chucky

• CRUISE MONKEY
  • post whore
  • WHERES MY STICKER?
« Reply #12 on: Jul 31, 2003, 06:36PM »
ok 2 questions:

1. whats loom?

and 2. wheres a good grounding point where theres bare metal? do i have to sand it back or something *shrugs*

im kinda lost

Offline Nizzan

• antrx cruise monkey
  • antrx.com junkie
  • I am NOT a llama!!
« Reply #13 on: Aug 1, 2003, 09:02AM »
wiring loom, and yeah good grounding point is anywhere on the chassis. Pick a good solid point, the chassis is connected to the -ve terminal on the battery. Sanding back the point helps, i used a wire brush bit on a power drill. bolt down the earth terminal securely on the chassis

Offline chucky

• CRUISE MONKEY
  • post whore
  • WHERES MY STICKER?
« Reply #14 on: Aug 1, 2003, 11:09AM »
ok but whats wiring loom mean?

Offline noss

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • great scott!
    • antrx
« Reply #15 on: Aug 1, 2003, 11:43AM »
the loom is the massive collection of wires that runs thru the car to run its electrics..