Author Topic: is overdrive on or off?  (Read 2540 times)

Offline callummm

• antrx.com newbie with pewbies
is overdrive on or off?
« on: Jan 23, 2012, 08:15AM »
Hi, i have a 1990 pintara t and my problem is..

when i turn overdrive off the light appears on the dash saying o/d off but shouldn't there be no light when its off?

also when i "apparently" turn it off and there is a light on it doesn't seem to change out of 2nd or 3rd gear and get very high revs when going fast.

anyone got any ideas ?

thanks

Offline Cheezel

• antrx.com senior member
Re: is overdrive on or off?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 23, 2012, 08:31AM »
Sounds to me like you've got your concept of on and off around the other way.

There's some threads covering this already, but what little I remember from my auto cars is that turning overdrive off is akin to turning off your highest gear. And yes, the car does rev higher, shift later, etc etc.

You want overdrive on for economys sake.

Offline JAWSTRX!

• antrx.com junkie
  • TRX STYLE!!!
« Reply #2 on: Jan 23, 2012, 12:50PM »
That Light u see on the dash is Normal. Its just saying Overdrive is off so u know...
with over drive on it should change in all gears... The reason ur Gears change up at high revs is cause the switch next to the hand brake is on... when thats on it makes the gearbox stay in the gears longer to give u a little more power if u need it for getting up a steap hill or something like that and u dont want it change up to soon and loose ur speed up the hill...
TRX 1-FORD FALCON 0

Offline rathies

• I may be going to hell but I'm going in a 4BY
  • post whore
  • Patrol of Doom coming soon
« Reply #3 on: Jan 24, 2012, 04:20PM »
I found at lower speeds (under 70k's) it was better with overdrive off, it stops the car from going into 4th gear. you actually use less fuel due to not having to press the pedal as hard. the throttle response is better when you put your foot down, you don't have to mash it to make it shift down just one gear when going up hills etc.
Previous rides: KA24ET TRX,  2000 GUII Patrol 4.2 td, AntrxWA whore TRX owner 4/5, 99 Landrover Discovery TD5
Current Ride(s):  91 GQ Patrol ST-3 RB25DET Converted :)