Author Topic: Idea's idea's  (Read 39072 times)

Offline Pure_Sincerity

• post whore
  • noss is my father
Re: Idea's idea's
« Reply #60 on: Feb 23, 2013, 07:29PM »
My flywheel is half of factory weight, feels great. Also mine is from a 240sx.
U12 TRX
KA25DE
HIGH COMP
MEGASQUIRT
COILOVERS
INDIVIDUAL THROTTLE BODIES

Offline MattJohn

• antrx.com senior member
« Reply #61 on: Feb 23, 2013, 07:46PM »
Cooool.
Be ordered as soon as i actually have a weeks work  :-[

Oh and for anyone thats interested, im getting aarons sohc head tomorrow, that i can do work to. (cam, shave, port, itb). Make it a quicker job hopefully, and have the car off the road for a smaller amount of time  ;D ;D

Offline MattJohn

« Reply #62 on: Feb 24, 2013, 05:34PM »
I've got the spare sohc head, its going in for a acid dip as soon as i can throw money at it..

The problem im facing is what sort of intake setup to run. To be totally honest, the a Itb/Qtb set ups seem far too much fucking around for me persoanlly.. This will be my first engine build, and as id like to do something different, i also need to do something within my skill and understanding level. Mostly, i want to do it once, do it right.

I was talking to Noss about a stage 3 chip, to replace my stage 2 chip - with a bigger MAF.

Moving things closer to the head though, I understand the stock plenum is well.. pretty shit.
- Straight to the point, i would LIKE to keep the ecu, with a retune if possible.. if i have to go aftermarket, then ohwell...

Would a Twin TB set up still require a piggyback ecu like the ITB's do?

If so, even one bigger TB, something like a 80mm one to a probably custon plenum. (Correct/flame me if im wrong, but the only real custom part il need for a single TB, maybe even the twin is the actual plenum, not a custom intake mani as well?)

I dont see a need to go bigger than 80mm TB(s), since the maf i have is 80mm OD, im not sure how big the J30 is.

Ive included this in a message to noss, but i thought may as well post it here, so to hopefully get a few points of view

Offline SSS

• Administrator
  • post whore
« Reply #63 on: Feb 25, 2013, 09:20AM »
No, twin TB setup would not requie an ecu change. If you plan on keeping the stock MAF, then no change is required, otherwise if you are upgrading to a larger MAF all you will need is an eeprom with the changes to the VQ map to suit that new MAF.

aaron needed to use a different ecu as he had no way of running a MAF.
« Last Edit: Feb 25, 2013, 09:24AM by SSS »

Offline MattJohn

« Reply #64 on: Feb 25, 2013, 12:13PM »
Oh okay cool, il run the larger maf then.
Il post some pics up when I get around to it aha.

Offline MattJohn

« Reply #65 on: Feb 25, 2013, 02:14PM »
And for those who are interested in rear camber, you don't have to remove the fuel tank.. Just a chassis bar.

Offline MattJohn

« Reply #66 on: Mar 6, 2013, 07:25PM »
Soooo, not a whole much of an update yet, still tied under in bills -__-

Picked up some quads of Noss the other night though, already went ahead and removed the secondary butterfly valves off them (Havnt plugged it yet).

Compare the ITB's to the Stanard intake! Mass increase!

Also, a 5c piece is almost perfect for plugging the injector hole.. I'd assume a welder could cause some havoc here, could i succesfully solder them in of something?

Offline MattJohn

« Reply #67 on: Mar 16, 2013, 08:16PM »
Not much has happened, swapped out some shit for adam's solid engine mount (Drivers side).
Today I bought a new soldering iron and soldered in the 5c pieces, thinking of siliconing the top for a little heat protection.
Pics Below vv

Another note, the battery went flat today too  :(
Not sure why, ive been starting it a fair bit (every day or second day). Its always turned over slow but kicked no worries? The windows are a little slow at winding up, so maybe the battery is crapping out from sitting too long before i bought it.. The belt is turning the altinator fine and dandy, so its not that (if it were, it should have went flat a couple weeks ago id say?)

Also going to use the spare TR-X cluster i have, since the odo doesnt work, and have to install the LCA brace i got not too long ago. Thats about it for now, when i sell the gl-i (Should be really soon!) I might make a project thread for this.

ITB'S:

Offline SSS

• Administrator
  • post whore
« Reply #68 on: Mar 17, 2013, 08:21PM »
Don't expect the solder to hold, you would have been better off using an epoxy glue or something like JB Weld.

Offline crazy2287

• antrx.com full member
« Reply #69 on: Mar 17, 2013, 10:04PM »
+1
that solder has not bonded at all.
IMO, remove it. Go to auto one and get some "kneed it" and use it in place of the solder

Or even better, measure the diameter of the hole and call around. Even try "ultra cheap auto" an internet store i use often. Ask them if they have any welsh plugs of the diameter you need.

What your using there is not okay.
I drive like i screw..... illegally =D... wait O.o WHAT?? O.O

Offline Pure_Sincerity

• post whore
  • noss is my father
« Reply #70 on: Mar 18, 2013, 12:11AM »
Build them in the car on the spare intake manifold you picked up from me, than kick your own ass for trying to build a plenum around the booster/master. Will be costly.

Fab work of re shaping intake ports, custom plenum, piping etc, TB spacers/links
Injectors, FPR & rail adaptor.
Antrx tune.

I don't regret mine as I haven't tested yet, but if I could go back, I would just use big port runners with a big top mount manifold with like an 80mm single TB, that may I could do a turbo setup later on.

SSS is the boss man that did my spacers.
U12 TRX
KA25DE
HIGH COMP
MEGASQUIRT
COILOVERS

Offline MattJohn

« Reply #71 on: Mar 18, 2013, 02:25PM »
I repspect your opinion, but I'm still gonna do ITB's :L I already have them anyway man.

Il have a look for plugs this arvo, otherwise some glue stuff should be around.

Might be a silly question, but can't the BMC just be moved over a little? If it doesn't clear? Not sure how it connects to the firewall aha. I was hoping to have all runners of the intake manifold bent on a slight angle. The runners obviously wouldn't be able to be equal length then, but I don't see that would be much more of a restriction then a plenum anyway?

Also, what problems would I run into having a 1 into 4 manifold made up, rather a plenum? Pretty much like a set of 4-1 extractors  but with cool air traveling in the opposite direction?

Most importantly: spacers? Please explain? Il look now as well

Offline MattJohn

« Reply #72 on: Mar 18, 2013, 02:46PM »
Never mind explaining spacers, used to magical Google.

Any chance you want to make another set, Adam??
$$'

Offline SSS

• Administrator
  • post whore
« Reply #73 on: Mar 18, 2013, 03:26PM »
Do you need them the exact same dimensions as aaron's?

And no, you can't move the BMC over a little.

Offline noss

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • great scott!
    • antrx
« Reply #74 on: Mar 18, 2013, 04:00PM »
i can't remember the guy's name, but he's on antrx. made quite a lot of good posts about his build.. half decent music too.. in the first video at least. reminds me of the old days at dv8 ha!

it's a ka24e u12, he is in tasmania from memory

anyway, short of it is, no need to relocate the braking gear

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MsirnmquHog[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ddv6CKOmZE[/youtube]

http://polyfedelicio.us/imgs/ - free image hosting for whatever you like

Offline noss

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • great scott!
    • antrx
« Reply #75 on: Mar 18, 2013, 04:04PM »
evknvl.. search his posts on here, he posted up heaps of really good info about strut braces, radiators, his itb install and other stuff

also some more pics:
http://www.nissanclub.com/forums/member-rides/277005-itb-nissan-ka24e.html

Offline Pure_Sincerity

• post whore
  • noss is my father
« Reply #76 on: Mar 18, 2013, 04:46PM »
Matt, what are you going to do about the iac valve than ? Can it be tuned out with one of your EPROM chips Ryan ?

If not you will need an aftermarket ecu of some sort.
U12 TRX
KA25DE
HIGH COMP
MEGASQUIRT
COILOVERS

Offline noss

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • great scott!
    • antrx
« Reply #77 on: Mar 18, 2013, 05:21PM »
i have tuned ca18det motors that have had the iac system totally removed. all that is required is to adjust the stopper screw on the throttle body so that enough air gets past for the engine to idle.

Offline MattJohn

« Reply #78 on: Mar 18, 2013, 08:58PM »
Yeah ive skimmed through some of evils threads, found them pretty cool.

IAC valve? Same as the secondary butterfly valves?
If so, yeah like Ryan said - il have them a litte open (Y)

Went down to auto barn this arvo, the guy there was quite interested in the whole thing when I was looking for plugs aha. Even knew there was a twin spark model.. +1 to him.

Anyway, he reccomended Christmas tree plugs silofexed in. I liked the idea. The silofex is heat/water/peddy resistant too. Got some speedflow hose to fill the gaps where the secondary butterfly valves where on the ITB's themselves. Pics when I get home, it's hard to explain lol

Offline MattJohn

« Reply #79 on: Mar 18, 2013, 09:49PM »
Pics:

The hoses should probably be hose clammped :P

And more silofex added to around the top, just to make sure its sealed.

Do you need them the exact same dimensions as aaron's?

Im not sure :$ Do they sit between the intake manifold and itb's directly? If so, it would probably be easier to do them first, then get the manifold shaped to it.. Im pretty sure they are the same tb's. And if Aarons clears on a DOHC head, then it shouldnt cause much drama on a SOHC head? Point out flawed logic please?

I dont see why they cant be the same
« Last Edit: Mar 18, 2013, 09:52PM by MattJohn »

Offline SSS

• Administrator
  • post whore
« Reply #80 on: Mar 19, 2013, 07:53AM »
IAC valve? Same as the secondary butterfly valves?
If so, yeah like Ryan said - il have them a litte open (Y)

IAC valve = Idle Air Control valve.

Secondary Butterfly valves = SCV's.
No need for them with ITB's.

Offline Pure_Sincerity

• post whore
  • noss is my father
« Reply #81 on: Mar 19, 2013, 10:42AM »
Matt, what size are these throttles ?  Top and bottom ? Mine are 50mm top and 42mm down by the butterfly, I know some model Hayabusa throttles are much larger around 48-52mm down by the butterfly. I may upgrade much later on and build another set.

Ill post up a pic of my throttles later on alone as they are finished now.
U12 TRX
KA25DE
HIGH COMP
MEGASQUIRT
COILOVERS

Offline SSS

• Administrator
  • post whore
« Reply #82 on: Mar 19, 2013, 11:09AM »
Went down to auto barn this arvo, the guy there was quite interested in the whole thing when I was looking for plugs aha. Even knew there was a twin spark model.. +1 to him.

Anyway, he reccomended Christmas tree plugs silofexed in. I liked the idea. The silofex is heat/water/peddy resistant too. Got some speedflow hose to fill the gaps where the secondary butterfly valves where on the ITB's themselves. Pics when I get home, it's hard to explain lol

Pics:

The hoses should probably be hose clammped :P

And more silofex added to around the top, just to make sure its sealed.

Im not sure :$ Do they sit between the intake manifold and itb's directly? If so, it would probably be easier to do them first, then get the manifold shaped to it.. Im pretty sure they are the same tb's. And if Aarons clears on a DOHC head, then it shouldnt cause much drama on a SOHC head? Point out flawed logic please?

I dont see why they cant be the same

Offline SSS

• Administrator
  • post whore
« Reply #83 on: Mar 19, 2013, 11:11AM »
I'm not forcing my standard of work on others....but come on....are you serious?

Offline Pure_Sincerity

• post whore
  • noss is my father
« Reply #84 on: Mar 19, 2013, 11:43AM »
I used the heads off the top of sohc ka rocker cover bolts, they sat flush in the injector ports of my throttles than I used some of that strong poxy glue shit and those fuckers ain't ever coming out. I just made sure they didn't protrude into the flow section of the throttles.

Also, where I took my secondary butterflies out, I turned that into an equalizer pipe for some sort of vacuum so what ever I hook up to it, its getting vacuum from the 4 cyl not just 1.

Ill post pics later.
U12 TRX
KA25DE
HIGH COMP
MEGASQUIRT
COILOVERS

Offline Pure_Sincerity

• post whore
  • noss is my father
« Reply #85 on: Mar 19, 2013, 02:38PM »
Got a vacuum manifold here too if you need it man.
U12 TRX
KA25DE
HIGH COMP
MEGASQUIRT
COILOVERS

Offline Pure_Sincerity

• post whore
  • noss is my father
« Reply #86 on: Mar 19, 2013, 04:01PM »

Those are taken from the back of my ITBS.

The 2 bars that are painted light blue are the spacers that SSS made for me.
The silver pipe is my equilizer pipe.

IT IS IMPORTANT when doing the spacers that they are the same length, then when doing the Linkage(s) that it is dead straight and doesnt flex so you can make sure all butterflies open at the EXACT same time and none move or open more than others.

I need to clean my thorttles up a tad, have gotten alot of scratches from contantly taking them off.
U12 TRX
KA25DE
HIGH COMP
MEGASQUIRT
COILOVERS

Offline MattJohn

« Reply #87 on: Mar 19, 2013, 06:08PM »
Fair bit to reply to here..

IAC valve = Idle Air Control valve.

Secondary Butterfly valves = SCV's.
No need for them with ITB's.

Where abouts is the IAC?
By SCV, i ment the butterfly valves at the base of the intake manifold, i think we mean the same thing?
I read about everyone else taking them out / talking about them on like 2007 threads ahaha.
Ive taken the secondary butterfly valves out before i posted the pics on here.
I'm not forcing my standard of work on others....but come on....are you serious?

Il fix them up man.. Got too g'd up about doing it fast and didnt consider the side effects. Like them melting. Then my car running lean. Then it going pop. 
On my shelf. i have "Ultra black - Maximum oil resistance RTV silicone gasket marker". Can i use that instead of a JB weld? With a 5c peice.

Also, where I took my secondary butterflies out, I turned that into an equalizer pipe for some sort of vacuum so what ever I hook up to it, its getting vacuum from the 4 cyl not just 1.

Ive taken the secondary butterfly valves out before i posted the pics on here.
Lol, dont get me wrong, it might.. but i dont think its going to do very much 'equalizing' hahahaha. It looks neat though, and plugs gaps, so its good. Your silver piping is doing the same as my blue speedflow piping.

Got a vacuum manifold here too if you need it man.

Vacuum manifold? I dont know what that is, il look through threads looking for mention of it.

I will not Google it, Cause google lead me astray!

When everyone was talking about spacers, you all ment those blue pipes and i ment something totally different -__- My idea of a TB Spacer, was more of a 5mm gasket that sat between the itb and head/manifold. Seen it on a SR forum, please dont judge. I tried.  :'(

Anyway the id imagine the spacers would make it a hell of a lot easier for the fabrication man, mine are the same ID as aarons as well. (50/42mm or there abouts). So they should work. Being honest though, im weary of taking them apart because of the amount of springs and shit.. I dont want stuff flying out and me not being able to put it back in.

Offline MattJohn

« Reply #88 on: Mar 27, 2013, 11:45AM »
Can someone tell me what the metal is that the intake mani is made of please?

Sorry i can't search ATM, only have a spare second here and there :$ chess

Offline Pure_Sincerity

• post whore
  • noss is my father
« Reply #89 on: Mar 27, 2013, 11:53AM »
Cast aluminum.
U12 TRX
KA25DE
HIGH COMP
MEGASQUIRT
COILOVERS