Author Topic: SUPER CHALLENGE -- u12 drowned with issues  (Read 2459 times)

Offline raider007

• antrx.com junior member
  • if it runs dont knock it :)
SUPER CHALLENGE -- u12 drowned with issues
« on: Jul 6, 2009, 02:03PM »
 :) HI....
Well sad news , my only working pintara my baby 2.0litre got joy ridden and dumped into a damup to 3ft deep in the front and left there for weeks until found.
here is the damages thus far radio cd / battery /a few blown fuses
Stinky -smelly insides and a engine bay that looks like the tide came in and went out..
here the good news...i got the cars horm/lights/heater fan/indicators/dash lights/etc working..
I just pulled the ECM and oh my god rusted and corroded everywhere.
I was not getting ecm on the dash when switching on..
no starter motor spinning
i hear clicking relays...and i thought the  pump..ign and starter
so now i put in a plea to find a good cheap ecm...to see if i can get the old girl running...
so if anyone thinks of anything i should check...let me know ...
and if anyone has a old ecm let me know too

Many thanks

bg phil

Offline SSS

• Administrator
  • post whore
Re: SUPER CHALLENGE -- u12 drowned with issues
« Reply #1 on: Jul 6, 2009, 02:47PM »
you'll need to replace more than the ECU my friend....

Offline wicked

• antrx.com senior member
  • U13
« Reply #2 on: Jul 6, 2009, 05:18PM »
Insurance???

Offline Jecks

• antrx.com pit crew
  • Global Moderator
  • post whore
    • antrx.com
« Reply #3 on: Jul 6, 2009, 05:32PM »
I'm sick of my knob going all floppy and loose in my hand  :P 
I've been on probation for 21 years, can't make a decision without consulting the wife first  ::)

Offline raider007

« Reply #4 on: Jul 6, 2009, 06:54PM »
no insurance ...ooops ..reason being ...we had issues with other cars and opted not to fully cover this one but insure it for damages against others..
well wrong move !
kids on holidays about a week before holidays started got it..
and it was seen on the raods....then it stopped been seen on roads..and found on a local near by dam!

auto transmission oil appears to be as per normal....and not strawberry milk shake!
engine oil appears to be thick....but stiill blackish

i hope the car does not need too much...once i get a ecm....that will show a few things !
See what happens over the next few days ...:) while waiting for that part.

:)

Offline nstg8a

• antrx.com full member
« Reply #5 on: Jul 6, 2009, 06:57PM »
is it really worth the grief? its not like pintaras are hard to come by or expensive...

why not just find another one?

Offline raider007

« Reply #6 on: Jul 6, 2009, 11:02PM »
firstly ...yes where i am nissan pintaras are not common or ford corsair's
2ndly ... i got 2 broken pintara 2.4's sitting on the ground  with major issues
hence why i was counting on the little pintara to hang in there until i fixed the other 2 up..

it was not my choice , that this one got   joy ridden and drowned..
remember it was a going backup car doin its job..until kids came along!

and i figure since i know it was working sweet as a nut...before...
and i can go over it and find what shorted out when it hit the water and was left in it.

i left it alone for days...so it could dry....before i got started,,as it still had water in the floor...and in the centre consul pockets...

i still got to drain the auto trans..but i keener since the fluid looks good to leave it until i try driving it..
in case its sedimented out  and i dont want to pump it out until i get it running temp...

i am reluctant to do the engine oil...as its seems dark but gluggy...and i still considering dropping once i got it started...and then drop oil filter and it..
this is a cost and effort idea...to clean it when needed.

my options are limited i live way out of town..limited funds and limited transport ..i trying to make the best of  what seems to be 3 snowball bad events...
so i well passed the grief stage...
But i am hopeful a new replaced ecm will solve allot..
apart from all other lights that turn on when you attempt to start the ecm did not display..and never has since its dipping!
tomorrow...i goin over all fuseable links under the bonnet and relays...just to check...
i got all the spark plugs removed and pulled out now...and the air pod all blown out and sprayed with  crc a light coat.
 i thinking about removing the statrer so i can test it outside and spin test it..
and thinking i like to remove and spin test the alternator too..but it can wait.
my ecm box does not have a led display..no led..its got its short link...but no leds..it was fully closed..

Offline Smiley Of Terror

• post whore
« Reply #7 on: Jul 7, 2009, 12:06AM »
sounds like you know what you're doing...

good luck!

though I'd say drain all the oil anyway... you won't see any of the water on the dipstick because the water is heavier than oil and will all be in the sump/lower regions of the engine.
nissan enthusiast who... umm... drives a toyota.

'95 n/a Mr2

Offline SSS

• Administrator
  • post whore
« Reply #8 on: Jul 7, 2009, 09:07AM »
sounds like you know what you're doing...

I don't agree unfortunately.

During your "drying out" time, how much corrosion do you think will be on the terminals for any wiring that was submerged? Do you know for certain that the thieves didn't leave the electrical system on when they dumped the car in the water?

I'd drop and replace ALL engine/trans fluids/filters. You don't know what has gotten in there, and you should not trust that "it'll be right".

Water damaged vehicles are written off by insurance for a reason. They are a headfuck to repair.

Offline chr1S

• r&d team
  • post whore
« Reply #9 on: Jul 7, 2009, 10:00AM »
Change every fluid you have. Water is by far less viscous than oil and it will find its way into the casings.

Pull apart all the electrical connections, spray them with contact cleaner and use some beryllium grease/electrical paste for the main connectors so prevent further corrosion.

If the car was running when it went into the water, Id' be looking alot of new items. Every single fuse you also know should be replaced, the under dash ones are more likely to pop than the engine bay relays/fuses (i'm assuming the water didn't get there)

To be honest, take the car home, strip it, drop the motor, pull it down, and put it together with new seals/gaskets, get another complete loom from someone on here and put it into the car.

You might get yours running but it won't be the same, something will come up, sooner or later.

As others have said, I would scrap it for what you can, do it tough and fix the other cars up as quick as you can.
« Last Edit: Jul 7, 2009, 10:05AM by chr1S »
Don't let the opinions of the average man sway you. Dream, and he thinks you're crazy. Succeed, and he thinks you're lucky. Acquire wealth, and he thinks you're greedy. Pay no attention. He simply doesn't understand.

to be fair, it wouldn't be ANTRX if we stayed on topic.

and if someone wasn't cranky at Chr1s for something he said...

Offline Smiley Of Terror

• post whore
« Reply #10 on: Jul 7, 2009, 11:24PM »
I don't agree unfortunately.

During your "drying out" time, how much corrosion do you think will be on the terminals for any wiring that was submerged? Do you know for certain that the thieves didn't leave the electrical system on when they dumped the car in the water?

I'd drop and replace ALL engine/trans fluids/filters. You don't know what has gotten in there, and you should not trust that "it'll be right".

Water damaged vehicles are written off by insurance for a reason. They are a headfuck to repair.

my sarcasm skills need work.  :-[
nissan enthusiast who... umm... drives a toyota.

'95 n/a Mr2

Offline SSS

• Administrator
  • post whore
« Reply #11 on: Jul 8, 2009, 10:41AM »
sorry mate! ;D