Author Topic: U13 Purchased in Brisbane - Dodgy Car Dealer!!  (Read 2470 times)

Offline BrisU13

• antrx.com newbie with pewbies
U13 Purchased in Brisbane - Dodgy Car Dealer!!
« on: Oct 17, 2009, 11:45PM »
Hey guys, newbie here.

Just wanted to post a bit of a buyer beware story, and get a bit of advice on a couple of tech issues as well.

Bought a shiny U13 Bluebird (White, manual LX) from Emmanuel Cars, Pacific Hwy Springwood.

Short version of the story is that in the stat warranty period, the car was taken back to the dealer and they were told about:

1.  Leaking water and some kind of pressure build up in radiator hoses
2.  Air conditioning not working (dealer claimed he had done a re-gas before I picked up the car, but no good - compressor stuffed)
3.  Unidentified knocking noise in engine

Dealer had the car for a week before giving it back and telling me there was nothing wrong with it other than the air con (evidently he didn't start, or drive it).

The air con compressor wasn't done during the week he had it, waiting on parts apparently.  I took the car anyway (need it for work) on the promise that he'd call when the part was in.  No call to date, and nobody at the dealership answers the phone.

Got an independent inspection from my usual mechanic.  Air con compressor stuffed.  Replace all radiator hoses and radiator cap (which fixed the cooling system, now driveable at least).  Knocking noise may be, but is unlikely to be, air con compressor - suggest we fix that first and test after, any further investigation now means pulling parts out - maybe water pump or timing chain?).  Also oil leak at rocker cover gasket, rooted engine mounts, tyres shot, and a few other bits and pieces that escape me now.  Mechanic suggests in no uncertain terms that there is no way the car should have passed roadworthy.

Look at roady a little closer (only gave it a cursory look at the yard) - evidently car failed on tyres, windscreen (which was cracked when I test drove, subsequently repaired before delivery), and brakes.  Oddly enough, the car was inspected again, and apparently passed - 1.5 hours after the first inspection!  Odder still, it passed all of this the day before we test drove the car, when the windscreen had not yet been replaced.  Way to dig a hole for yourself huh?!

Have written to the dealer highlighting all of this and requesting he pay for further repairs, no surprise that the only response so far has been silence.

Since writing the letter, tonight the clutch master cylinder shat itself, and car is no longer driveable again (well not unless I wanna drive to work in 2nd gear haha).  Dealer was told after the test drive that the clutch didn't feel quite right, could he have it checked by mechanic prior to delivery.  APPARENTLY this was done with no issue found, but who knows anymore.

Anyways - anyone got any other ideas about the knocking noise?  It comes and goes, but is there maybe 80% of the time.

It's a shame really, because the car is stunning to look at, interior is A1, etc etc.  But none of this matters too much if it won't go!

Keen to hear thoughts  :)

Offline BrisU13

• antrx.com newbie with pewbies
Re: U13 Purchased in Brisbane - Dodgy Car Dealer!!
« Reply #1 on: Oct 17, 2009, 11:51PM »
Also, searching for a replacement clutch master cylinder.  NEED one to fit tomorrow, need this bloody thing on the road again for Monday.  Will be doing the call around to the wreckers tomorrow (the ones that are open on a Sunday anyway), but if anyone sees this and has one lying around they would like to flog off, PM or email me please!!

Offline Kranzy

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12 - SR20DET
« Reply #2 on: Oct 18, 2009, 01:01AM »
I'd recommend buying a new one if you can. Call places in the morning first see if you can get a brand newy. That way you won't have issues with a second hand one.
Quote from: noss
learnt something new just then, dont eat baked bean sandwhiches while changing the paper in the copier

"Noss is GOD"

Offline wicked

• antrx.com senior member
  • U13
« Reply #3 on: Oct 18, 2009, 02:36PM »
Just curious if the mechanic who issued the road worthy cert have some kind of responsibility for the inspection?

If so, maybe they should be fixing that......

Offline cruizer

• post whore
« Reply #4 on: Oct 18, 2009, 05:21PM »
Technically in the case of buying second hand goods (like your car) it really is a case of cavaet emptor, buyer beware. However, if you have written proof of the dealer saying the parts will be fixed or the problems you have should be covered by the warranty, I'd be hitting him up with Consumer Affairs etc. I know second hand dealers get away with alot but this really seems a bit much!

Good luck and let us know how you go.

Offline BridgieRocket

• antrx.com pre-pewbie newbie
« Reply #5 on: Nov 17, 2009, 12:38PM »
I have had the same issues with Emmaunel Cars - would recommend that no-one buys a car from them - dodgy as

But if you have and had a similar experience would love to hear from you :)