Author Topic: power antenna  (Read 1617 times)

Offline phreeky

• antrx.com senior member
power antenna
« on: Sep 14, 2005, 12:42PM »
hey guys, pulled me dash completely to peices today to try and fix my cd player setup. basically when i bought the car, years ago now, i found a dodgy antenna jammed under the dash plugged in to the cd player and the cars own antenna wasn't in use. i would like to use it, even if it turns out to be broken etc - i'm happy to replace it if required.

so that in mind, with the dash apart i could not find the original antenna wire(s) anywhere. i'm assuming one wire somewhere in the main loom is to tell the antenna to go up (i'm guessing it clamps to ground to keep it up??!), however i cannot find any original main antenna plug (the normal round ones).

can anyone shed some light on this?

and while i'm at it.....i also found a weird big 2 pin plug back there that is not part of the main loom, and runs up over the steering column and apears to go near where the HUD would be, if i had one - is it for that? did the original controller go down near the stereo or something? find that a little weird.

cheers

Offline Ka-Bluey

• antrx.com's
  • post whore
  • The MtData Guy
Re: power antenna
« Reply #1 on: Sep 14, 2005, 12:59PM »
2 pin plug?? That could be the antenna. Is there one fat wire and one skinnier (kinda joined together) wire running off the same plug? And are they black.
I think that the antenna runs up the panel where the tweeter is and makes its way back.

Can you get pics of the dash where the wires are?? Maybe we can point out which one it is..

Offline phreeky

• antrx.com senior member
« Reply #2 on: Sep 14, 2005, 02:48PM »
yep mate one skinnier and one thicker, but it definately did seem like it went all the way up behind the instrument cluster region - no idea where it went from there though. i might just grab a multimeter and see if one of the two pins is joined to the antenna itself, probably the easiest way of checking it.

i'll might grab some pics tonight if i have time to pull it all apart again, got a lot of other car work to do tonight though with much higher priority.

Offline cybersimon

• antrx.com junior member
  • 96 u13 bluebird LX
« Reply #3 on: Sep 14, 2005, 03:06PM »
The 2 pin black plug is the antenna connector, its got 2 pins because the u13 has the power antenna as well as an antenna wire built into the back windscreen, if you have a look you can see where the defogger part is and at the top of the windscreen theres another rectangular bit of wire that overlaps the defogger. You might also have noticed that when the defogger is on it doesn't defog the very top of the back windscreen ;)

Anyway, the standard radios that came with the bluebirds take this plug, and I guess are smart enough to know when to use what antenna. My radio reception was really good when I had the stock radio in there.

When I put a new head unit in, I cut the 2 pin connector off and used a standard type antenna plug form jaycar. The only decision to make is which wire do you put it on, the big one or the skinny one?
I used the big wire, assuming that it would be the power antenna one. But now I'm not so sure, because my radio reception is actually pretty bad most of the time, so I'm thinking of taking the head unit back out and trying the other wire.

Try them both if you can, and find out which one gives you the best reception.