Author Topic: u13 sss - Car vibrating at idle and loosing power when accelerating? Help  (Read 5522 times)

Offline DRUSS

• antrx.com junior member
Hi Guys,

My SSS is vibrating alot when idling. The car has that timing chain rattle also.

Another problem I have is when i am accerlating the car looses power through certain rpm in the rev range.

I need help to diagnose what is wrong with the car.

Another issue is that when I turn on the aircon, it sounds like there is an air compressor under the hood?

The car also stalls sometimes when coming to a stop?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Daniel

Offline NIZ013

• No longer a Nissan Driver...
  • post whore
    • UDC
The stalling problem is pretty common with the u13s. My first one did it and 3 mechanics told me they didn't know what the problem was. But then the car was written off, so that fixed it...  :-\
Some suggestions which i never got round to trying were to check the O2 sensor and change the AFM.
A easy quick fix was to turn the idle up a tad and to clean the butterfly out with carby cleaner (including spraying down the little bypass pipe). However, this didn't totally solve the problem, but it helped a little.

Offline greenbird

• antrx.com senior member
And to start with, to eliminate all the easy causes, I would:
1. Change all your spark plugs (use NGK).
2. Check the condition of your distributor cap and rotor button. Clean all the internal contacts with some fine wet and dry sandpaper. Replace them both if they look too far gone.
3. Whilst you have the dizzy cap and rotor button apart, pull the cover off of the cam position sensor and check for any oil contamination in there. If necessary, clean it all up with a can of electrical contact cleaner.
See if that cures any issues..... If not, look up the procedure in this site for checking the ECU for any fault codes and take it from there.
Cheers, Dan.
93 U13 Bluebird
5 spd
Finer Filter, Hi-Flow cat & 2.25" exhaust
17X7 Concept 5 wheels
2 inch lowered King Springs

Offline DRUSS

Thanks for the replys.

Cheers

Damiel

Offline wicked

• U13
Do a diagnostic test assuming you have the service manual.

If not do a search, I've found the link on the forum. If not, I might be able to email electrical abstract to you. I think the full file is too big to email.

Keep us posted. :)

Offline DRUSS

thanks heaps for that.

I will keep you posted when i fix it, if I do.

I might just sell it off soon if its alot of work.

Looking now for that diagnostic info. And no, i dont have a service manual.

Cheers

Daniel

Offline DRUSS

Thanks Wicked

Offline snailman

• GOC 180' man
  • 1994 U13 SSS BLUEY
hey not sure if this is any help but my car was vibrating alot at idle as well... one of the 4 cylinders wasnt working for some reason... took it to the local mechanic that i know, he fixed it all up and put in some new spark plug leads and stuff in for me
loves doing 180's up great ocean road... not!

Offline DRUSS

I think i might attempt to do a spark plug change aswell.

Cause it vibrates alot.

Cheers

Offline snailman

• GOC 180' man
  • 1994 U13 SSS BLUEY
no worries let us know how it goes mate
loves doing 180's up great ocean road... not!

Offline Evolution03

• Team Orange!
Check the fuel pump aswell thats what was wrong with mine. It might be on its way out

Offline K24godzilla

• antrx.com newbie with pewbies
hey there,

just been down this path myself but maybe not exactly as what you did but anyway..

vibration was caused mainly by drivers side engine mount. on removal inspected it and it was cracked through and almost spinning within the mount.

am also replacing the passenger side mount once i can get the part or the press in bush.

loss of power and flat spot at 2000 rpm on acceleration i have kind of fixed, i checked engine code and got the code 34 also my CONSULT showed this. yanked the knock sensor, replaced it, was faulty and relocated it and power is how it should be but still slight flat spot.

to fix the flat spot, was looking/feeling for vacc leaks round the plenum chamber throttle area and felt that the pressure line to my evap canister was all brittle and the rubber hose just fell away when i tried to remove it. no doubt this was leaking big time . i replaced the hose and still a very slight flat spot/hesitation was felt at 2000rpm but a definite improvement. so i then unplugged the same hose from the plenum side and blocked the plenum vacc tube and also blocked the canister side hose. i essentially wanted to stop the intake manifold pressure/vacc from leaking to check if that effected the flat spot. it appears it did.

this has eliminated the flat spot but not sure this method is a safe method as the canister needs to purge the air in the fuel tank somewhere and somehow. i must say this has transformed the cars acceleration and power delivery for the better, its like a newer car to what i had bought.

Offline K24godzilla

hey all,

i ended up having to replace my O2 sensor due to a front cross member mishap whilst i was replacing the gearbox mounts (ripped wire out of sensor)dont ask how, embarrassing.

i have noticed the car has unlocked some hidden power. i mean ridiculous power. so it must have had an underlying problem the computer didn't pick up and was running like absolute crap, which i thought was at normal power levels.

so maybe try the O2 sensor while you there fixing the hesitation and flat spot.

Me.

Offline pedro666

• post whore
  • VET NEO VVL is how I roll...
wow this thread has been resurrected.. still reliant though. few thing to try...
the words "race car" spelled backward still spell "race car"? 

skype_shannan801

Offline K24godzilla

i have also done a side by side comparison from dodgy sensor to brand new one using my CONSULT with datascan and the line traces of the O2 among other sensors is like night and day.

if you have these issues and have a CONSULT and software you may want to check the readings.

my O2 previously was quite lazy and would occasionally whip across between 10 and 90 but remain mainly static around 50-70 under throttle and cruising

my new O2 shows it flicking quite quickly between 10-90 every half second give or take under same conditions.

if you dont have data on how a new sensor should behave then you always assume yours is working ok. this totally explains the immense improvement in the cars power and economy.

HTH

Me.