Author Topic: got the car, now to get rid of stock speakers  (Read 3568 times)

Offline bigpud2012

• "I drive a pissweak auto"
  • post whore
    • RSI - Adelade Sports Imagery - Clipsal 500 Classic Adelaide etc
got the car, now to get rid of stock speakers
« on: Jul 19, 2005, 04:54PM »
got the car, nowto get rid of stock speakers, but how do it go about this??

ok guys i finally got my pintara TRX, but i need to get rid of the original speakers as they crackle when i turn them up, anyway need to get a cd player and some speakers.

what the best way to get the old speakers of of the trim without fukn it up??

cheers, any suggestions - nothing toooo expensive.

Offline ashman01

• Thats Mr. Man01 to you.
  • post whore
  • Slowly getting there
Re: got the car, now to get rid of stock speakers
« Reply #1 on: Jul 19, 2005, 06:26PM »
OK once again i will answer this.

1st Remove the Door Panel:

To do this u will need to remove the triangle piece of plastic that is behind Ur side mirrors. This is held on on 1 screw that is covered by a little piece of plastic that can be easily removed with a little flat head screw driver. Then just unscrew the screw.

Once that is off then u have to remove the window crank. This is fairly easy, just take that small flat headed screw driver and Stick it in the grove of the handle and push the little metal thing back and it should ping off.
U don't need this tool cuz anything will do it but this is what needs doing:

or visit this site for more info if u cant get it: http://www.240sx.org/faq/articles/removing_door_panels.htm

Next once the window cranks are off then u need to remove the plastic surrounding the door handle opener on the inside (you no the thing u pull to open the door). just use Ur fingers and pull it out from the bottom and it should come off. Then remove the little piece of plastic that sits around the door lock butten on the top of the panel. Just pull it up.

Once that is done remove the arm rests. These are just screwed in with 2 Phillips head screws and just need a normal size screw driver to undo them.

After all that is done is just a simple process of pulling the door panel out from the door frame. Start from the bottom left or right hand corner and pull out so The panel clicks out. Then lift the panel up over the lock and then u will have taken it off and be able to see the insides of the door and easy access to the speaker.

The speakers are a weird shape. They are 4" x 6" and are fitted with weird 4x6" plastic spacers. They have 3 screws and u will need to remove all 3 of them b4 u can take out the speaker and the plastic spacer. The speakers a connected by a white wire clip, just unclip this and u will be left with a speakerless door.

The hole in the door is about 4inchers big which means it could either hold a 4inch speaker or a 6-6.5" speaker with a spacer. I choose a 6.5" 3-way speaker. I used an MD 6.5" spacer. Bought from autobarn for i think $8 for 2.

EDIT: It was suggested that u could grab some replacment 6x4s but i wouldnt recommend it. The bigger cone size is for bass and are the same as 6x9's but smaller. In the front door u want highpitched sounds from tweeters as well as midbass from the 4-6" cone. This is why u dont see any 6x4's or 6x9" speakers in any1's doors. But it is a possiblity for u!
End EDIT

Once u have the speaker and the spacer u will need to drill 4 new holes in the door for the new speaker because the original 6x4" holes will not be the right space apart for the 6.5" speakers. Make sure u use the right drill bit with the exact size needed for the screws that u are using because u will need to screw the screws into the door panel as u cant use bolts. I recommend lining up the spacer on the door and using a pen or something to make a mark on the door where u need to drill. Also u could drill the holes thru the spacer so u no that they will be exactly where u want them to be.

Once u have drilled Ur 4 holes, its time to put the speaker in. I find it easyest to use the original wiring that u have already in Ur door and i have never done it another way so i cant tell u how to wire the door. If u use Ur original wiring u are left with a decision to make.

1. Whether to use the original white connector. U could go out to supercheap or autobarn to find a connector like this to use.
or
2. Cut the wires and use Crimp connectors to wire it up.

I used crimp connectors because they are fast easy and dont require alot of work.

Now that Ur wiring is done u need to screw the speakers onto the spacer and into the door. This isn't hard and doesn't need explaining.

Once u have put Ur speakers in, test them. They should sound great.

Now u have Ur speakers in but u have 1 last problem. The inside of the door panels wood is only made for 6x4" speakers and will have to be cut for the bigger speakers.

The way i did this was to get 1 of the speakers and trace around the area where it was going to fit. Make sure that this cut will not cut into the plastic of the door on the other side. Mine did about 1 mm and now it looks untidy. Once u have the prefect trace line then just cut out the wood either by using scissors or some other wood cutting object. I used an angle grinder, not conventional i no but it did the job. Make sure that after u cut it that ur speakers fit in this space.

Then Ur Door is ready to be put back together. Just slide it down over the door lock and back into the window socket. Then bang it so all the joints go back into place and nothing is loose. Then put the window crank, arm rest, door handle border and side mirror triangle back on exactly how u took it off. With the window crank u need to put that piece of metal back on the crank before u put it back on.

Then u are done. TAADAA u have just put 1 Speaker in. Now just do the same with the other Door and then u have 2 speakers put in.

As for the back speakers they are really easy and don't need explaining. U can either just undo the screws and push them out from the boot and replace them or get a 6x9" but then u will need a spacer.

COST OF PROJECT:

Spacer: $8
Speakers: $130 on special RRP is $250 but u can pay anything for speakers from $15 - over $999 for good 1's but i recommend the $100-200 for what u want.
Screws: $5
Total: Spacer and screws = $13 plus 130 for speakers = $143

Difficulty = 4/10 because of the door removal and the drilling needed.

NOTES:

1. DELETED. Brands for that price range that i recommend are Rockford fosgate, pioneer and alpine. There are other great brands out there that are worth listing here but i havent tested them myself. I have Rockford fosgates and my other friend has the pioneer 1's and they both are great for the price.

2. U can buy pastic spacers instead of MDF 1's for about $15 but in my opinion they don't sound as good and they cost more.

3. Futher down the track u might want to buy an amp. Even a cheap 100-200$ amp will do the trick for speakers as they dont require that much power. This will get the most out of ur speakers.

4. As for the back speakers i need u to ask urself 1 question. Do u want BASSY BASS or just Bass. If just bass then go with some good 6x9's running off the head unit or even better an amp like the 1 i talked about in question 3. But if u want real bass then i suggest u buy a Subwoofer. but if u buy a sub DO NOT GET 6x9's for the rear. Get some more 6.5" for the rear instead. I will explain more when u give me an answer. But subs HAVE to be powered by an amp. Most likly a mono or a 2chan bridged. None of this 4way amp shit. 4way amps are for speakers not subs, Possibly 2 subs but i dont think 4chan amps are powerful enough to power 2 good subs?

5. Any questions just ask.
« Last Edit: Jul 22, 2005, 06:46PM by ashman01 »

Offline Sticky

• Bad Luck Magnet
  • qld local moderator
  • post whore
« Reply #2 on: Jul 19, 2005, 07:17PM »
if u are gonna run it all off a head unit, dont bother with 6"s, just replace the 4x6 in the front with some JBL 6426E 4x6's, about $100, and some pioneer TSA1670/1S (depends on where u go) 3way 220w, also about $100, with these items you can just drop em in, no modding or cutting needed

The best engine in the world is the vagina, it takes any size piston, its self lubricating, starts with 1 finger, and every 4 weeks does its own oil change. It's just a pity the management system is so f**king temperamental.

The Human Torch was denied a bank loan

Offline Ka-Bluey

• antrx.com's
  • post whore
  • The MtData Guy
« Reply #3 on: Jul 19, 2005, 08:15PM »
Good work once again ashman, you're turning out to be a real wiz at this whole explainatory crap.
Altho might help if you proof read you're stuff before you post. ;D

Offline ashman01

• post whore
  • Slowly getting there
« Reply #4 on: Jul 19, 2005, 08:27PM »
if u are gonna run it all off a head unit, don't bother with 6"s, just replace the 4x6 in the front with some JBL 6426E 4x6's, about $100, and some pioneer TSA1670/1S (depends on where u go) 3way 220w, also about $100, with these items you can just drop em in, no modding or cutting needed

All that said. Would be good if he didnt want an amp later down the track. I still recommend buying some good 6"s and waiting till u can afford a small 2-4 chan amp to power them. 6" are the best for midbass and high frequency

Offline ashman01

• post whore
  • Slowly getting there
« Reply #5 on: Jul 19, 2005, 08:46PM »
Good work once again ashman, you're turning out to be a real wiz at this whole explainatory crap.
Altho might help if you proof read you're stuff before you post. ;D

Just fixed Gramma, Thanx for the comment. I dont no shit and machanics and i want to contribute back to the forum and i no quite abit about audio so i will help out here.

Offline bigpud2012

• post whore
« Reply #6 on: Jul 19, 2005, 09:54PM »
Thanks mate, this is gold.

I appreciate it heaps man!!!!

this will be done very shortly, im goan go look at soem speakers this weekend and hopefully get the work done over the weeknights that im home.

THANKS MATE!!!!!

Offline Jtas

• Sarcasminator
  • antrx cruise monkey
  • post whore
« Reply #7 on: Jul 19, 2005, 10:10PM »
1st Remove the Door Panel:
To do this u will need to remove the triangle piece of plastic that is behind Ur side mirrors. .

I've removed all 4 of my door trims a few times and I've NEVER had to remove the triangle covers behind the mirrors.  It is not necessary.

Offline ashman01

• post whore
  • Slowly getting there
« Reply #8 on: Jul 19, 2005, 10:16PM »
My peugeot that i owned a few months ago had to have these removed b4 u can take the door trim off so i just did it anyway. Didnt think that i might not have to take it off. Sorry

Offline Jono

• The Wise Man
  • Global Moderator
  • post whore
  • memory boy!
« Reply #9 on: Jul 20, 2005, 10:06PM »
I've removed all 4 of my door trims a few times and I've NEVER had to remove the triangle covers behind the mirrors.  It is not necessary.
...or the trim around the locks.
#1 Post Wh0re
pringles was here!

Offline weasel

• antrx.com moderator
  • post whore
  • ooooweeeooooo
« Reply #10 on: Jul 22, 2005, 06:06PM »
Wow this actually turned out to be an intelligible conversation once i cleaned out the crap

Ashman,

Thanks for your superb job on the writeup on the removal of the speakers, but a word of advice, when it comes to opinions on what is good or bad, sure you can give personal opinions but just don't sell it as gospel (i know this is probably how you were trying to do it but it just came off wrong) and always back it up, sure you may think it is crap but the person you are trying to help may only be able to afford the lower end of the range.

SSStick,

We know that you know your stuff, but if you could just try to be a little more patient with this type of thing it would be greatly appreciated, like you said it's great that ashman is getting into car audio and we don't want to be scaring him away
"Noss is God"

Offline Sticky

• Bad Luck Magnet
  • qld local moderator
  • post whore
« Reply #11 on: Jul 22, 2005, 06:37PM »
yep, ashman and i have had a chat, its all good there

The best engine in the world is the vagina, it takes any size piston, its self lubricating, starts with 1 finger, and every 4 weeks does its own oil change. It's just a pity the management system is so f**king temperamental.

The Human Torch was denied a bank loan

Offline ashman01

• post whore
  • Slowly getting there
« Reply #12 on: Jul 22, 2005, 06:44PM »
Haha SStick would have to come at me with an axe to scare me away from car audio.

But no seriously its all sweet now and we might accualy turn out to be quite useful working together (given he has all the experience and i dont mind to do the writeups)

Well sorry bigpud2012 for having an "argument" in ur thread and i will be more carefull in future with what i say that is "opinionated"

Hope u all can forgive me!

Offline bigpud2012

• post whore
« Reply #13 on: Jul 22, 2005, 11:35PM »
hey its all good mate, i dont give a crap. argue all you want!