Author Topic: playing with RCA's  (Read 3150 times)

Offline BILL*69

• is on LPG...
  • post whore
  • Off Defect Finally..
playing with RCA's
« on: Aug 5, 2008, 10:03AM »
i read somewhere (cant for the life of me remember where), that if you plug in and unplug your RCA's at your head unit or amp while the unit is on, you run a high risk of doing the RCA ground track or whatever its called, hence why they begin to pick up engine noise, as their ground is blown. (most common on the pioneers, coz they have a week ground track or something like that) hence pioneers being the most problematic.

if this is the case, that would be the source of my engine noise, and also the reason that its apparent now and not before when i had my old sub and speakers. only started happening when i changed sub/speakers, and when i was playing around with it i disconnected RCA's while it was on.

anyone know anything about this?
« Last Edit: Aug 6, 2008, 07:52PM by BILL*69 »
mr 4ut0m4t1c d0r1fft0000 p1nny 0n ga5 w17h cu5t0m u13h su8w00f3r!
When i'm cruisin' wit my bitches and G's ready to pop a cap in the ass of some fool who thinks he's bank by takin' my corner of the block....  ::)

Offline BILL*69

• is on LPG...
  • post whore
  • Off Defect Finally..
Re: playing with RCA's
« Reply #1 on: Aug 19, 2008, 12:39AM »
no ideas guys? no theories on this theory? lol
mr 4ut0m4t1c d0r1fft0000 p1nny 0n ga5 w17h cu5t0m u13h su8w00f3r!
When i'm cruisin' wit my bitches and G's ready to pop a cap in the ass of some fool who thinks he's bank by takin' my corner of the block....  ::)

Offline rathies

• I may be going to hell but I'm going in a 4BY
  • post whore
  • Patrol of Doom coming soon
« Reply #2 on: Aug 19, 2008, 01:55AM »
not in my experience..ever.. applicable to stage and car audio lol.
if you've got a whine then yes its most probably a grounding issue. it can either be a deck grounding (the deck is trying to ground through the rcas) or it could be an amp grounding issue. Its been mentioned on this site before that earthing the rca to the chassis of the deck seems to fix the problem..

If none of these fix the problem then it could be poor quality rca's.
Previous rides: KA24ET TRX,  2000 GUII Patrol 4.2 td, AntrxWA whore TRX owner 4/5, 99 Landrover Discovery TD5
Current Ride(s):  91 GQ Patrol ST-3 RB25DET Converted :)

Offline FloridaStanza

• antrx.com junior member
« Reply #3 on: Aug 20, 2008, 10:51AM »
If i remember correctly pioneers have a micro fuse for the rca outputs, and if you remove the rca's while it's all running than it can blow the microfuse and cause massive ground loop. There was a wrightup on some car audio website about a way to fix the problem, ill see if i can find it.

Offline tazza255

• antrx.com junior member
« Reply #4 on: Oct 6, 2008, 01:00AM »
its the rca trying to ground the deck make a new ground wire for the deck if not that then try a new set of rca

Offline Jono

• The Wise Man
  • Global Moderator
  • post whore
  • memory boy!
« Reply #5 on: Feb 24, 2009, 12:28AM »
i read somewhere (cant for the life of me remember where), that if you plug in and unplug your RCA's at your head unit or amp while the unit is on, you run a high risk of doing the RCA ground track or whatever its called, hence why they begin to pick up engine noise, as their ground is blown. (most common on the pioneers, coz they have a week ground track or something like that) hence pioneers being the most problematic.

if this is the case, that would be the source of my engine noise, and also the reason that its apparent now and not before when i had my old sub and speakers. only started happening when i changed sub/speakers, and when i was playing around with it i disconnected RCA's while it was on.

anyone know anything about this?

Yes, yes and yes.

The biggest cause of ground track failure is a dodgy ground at the amp.
#1 Post Wh0re
pringles was here!