Author Topic: KA24E Cam, Port Polish, 3-angle valve job, head machining  (Read 4346 times)

Offline RichTRX

• sth. oz local moderator
  • post whore
  • May the 4's be with you.
I picked up my new project head yesterday and am stripping it down now, so I'm going to want to get a cam regrind for it soon; don't flame me too much noss but I'm thinking of going for the 270/270 cam simply because I already have the cam and can't really justify another $500-$600 for a billet. I'm on a reasonable budget but it doesn't extend that far :(

I'm going to port/polish; 3-angle valve and of course the cam. Has anybody here done port/polish on this head before? I've tapped some sections with a screwdriver and it seems there may be a water gallery between the two intake ports so I'm a bit loathed to take off too much there. I think I'll just gasket match and take out a small amount of material and remove the casting defects, do some bowling around the valve seat machinework (seems to be a 1.5mm lip there) and finish with 80grit, the exhaust I think could be made to flow a fair bit bitter on an E head so I'll take out a bit more material there and especially smooth over the short end of the seat machining because again there is a pronounced lip there; and of course mirror polish the rest and the combustion chamber. I'll make sure I take plenty of photos. I won't try the valve job myself, there's a place in Lonsdale who'll do a 3-angle to the valves and seats for $200.00.

Also, with the new cam, how much can I machine off the head without the valves kissing the pistons? I was hoping maybe 0.050" ?? I suppose I'll just have to measure to determine this.

I'll be driving the Pintara over to Melbourne soon so noss maybe I can give you this cam in person? Have a meet or something with some of the Vic boys?

« Last Edit: Feb 5, 2009, 10:23AM by RichTRX »
His: 2001 Audi S4 biturbo quattro 6sp, Nogaro Blue/black leather recaros, microsilver trim, bose 10sp, SSAC 2.5" twin turboback, RS4 rear sway, 25% tint

Hers: MY99.5 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro GP Edition AVANT 5-sp, phantom black, black leather buckets/walnut/sunroof, 2.5" D&T Turboback, K04-015, N75J, 710N DV

Bro driving: 1990 Nissan Pintara TRX 5sp Red, 16" Rozzis, Lukey 4-2-1 ext, 2.5" full exhaust, hi-flow cat, cone cai, stg 3 chip,  low Kings, GT Gas shocks, Urethane bushings, slotted front rotors, 398000k and still going strong; 0-100 in around 7.2-7.4 seconds

Offline SSS

• Administrator
  • post whore
Re: KA24E Cam, Port Polish, 3-angle valve job, head machining
« Reply #1 on: Feb 5, 2009, 10:40AM »
Nosso is in qld now rich :)

I'll try and dig up my old photos that i took of the head work i did years ago.

Shaving the head: no more than the service limit described in the FSM; just to be on the safe side. I don't even have an assembled short block that i could check on for you. :(

Wade Cams over here in Huntingdale are the guys to see, they've done all the antrx cams from memory, they did my cam a while ago and they were great to deal with.

As for porting....it really is a black art. I'm going to have to make another post about this, which i'll do when i post the pics up.

Offline noss

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • great scott!
    • antrx
« Reply #2 on: Feb 5, 2009, 10:53AM »
lol, no flames for 270 degree cam.. its what i run cause i didnt have money for a billet either. but chris deserves his flames cause he opted for the 270 cam rather than the more agressive billet based cam on his 'all out' ka24e :P

oh yeh and as adam said i'm in brisbane now..

http://polyfedelicio.us/imgs/ - free image hosting for whatever you like

Offline RichTRX

• post whore
« Reply #3 on: Feb 5, 2009, 11:10AM »
ohhhhhhhh, my bad...

can I still get the cam done through noss or is it better to go straight to wade cams? can I tell them flat out "do it 270/270" or will they want details on the exact profile, etc?

yes I'm not going for all out, just a nice mild head tune without spending massive amounts and hopefully I'll gain at least 15kw at the fly

Adam, you ported your head? How much could you take off and what if any was the improvement/feel? I'm hoping to pick up a fair bit of flow on the exhaust side since that is an obvious weak spot of the sohc head...
His: 2001 Audi S4 biturbo quattro 6sp, Nogaro Blue/black leather recaros, microsilver trim, bose 10sp, SSAC 2.5" twin turboback, RS4 rear sway, 25% tint

Hers: MY99.5 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro GP Edition AVANT 5-sp, phantom black, black leather buckets/walnut/sunroof, 2.5" D&T Turboback, K04-015, N75J, 710N DV

Bro driving: 1990 Nissan Pintara TRX 5sp Red, 16" Rozzis, Lukey 4-2-1 ext, 2.5" full exhaust, hi-flow cat, cone cai, stg 3 chip,  low Kings, GT Gas shocks, Urethane bushings, slotted front rotors, 398000k and still going strong; 0-100 in around 7.2-7.4 seconds

Offline noss

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • great scott!
    • antrx
« Reply #4 on: Feb 5, 2009, 11:53AM »
yeh you should be able to walk into wade cams and just ask for a ka24e grind with the 270 degrees duration.

http://polyfedelicio.us/imgs/ - free image hosting for whatever you like

Offline SSS

• Administrator
  • post whore
« Reply #5 on: Feb 5, 2009, 12:52PM »
ohhhhhhhh, my bad...

can I still get the cam done through noss or is it better to go straight to wade cams? can I tell them flat out "do it 270/270" or will they want details on the exact profile, etc?

yes I'm not going for all out, just a nice mild head tune without spending massive amounts and hopefully I'll gain at least 15kw at the fly

Adam, you ported your head? How much could you take off and what if any was the improvement/feel? I'm hoping to pick up a fair bit of flow on the exhaust side since that is an obvious weak spot of the sohc head...

I could try a few runs in Engine Analyzer Pro and see what timing will get you the best results for valve opening/closing for that amount of duration.

Yes, i did, many years ago. From what i remember of my first impressions was the improvement in top end breathing; it would not struggle past 5000rpm to the 6500rpm rev cut, but would pull nice and hard to 6500rpm. I daresay this was really only because of the cam, which still is a 262/264. I probably picked up some more mid range torque, but i lacked the comparitive dyno sheets back then between stock and modified.

Looking back, it really seemed like i made a dog's breakfast of everything i did, that was the first and only head i have ever ported still to date. I match ported to the intake gasket into the port about 10mm, reshaped the divder and the valve guide bosses, put a 60 grit finish on the intake ports after cleaning up any casting defects, polished the combustion chamber after i had finished cleaning up the additional material i had welded in the chamber to up the CR (would not do it again!!!!!! pistons are the way to go for higher CR!), reshaped the exhaust valve guide boss, polished the exhaust ports.

If i were you rich, i'd go 1mm oversize on the intake valves, and as big as you can go oversize on the exhaust valves.

I would not worry about grinding much out of the intake ports, it's difficult to detemine what material removal works without a flow bench and a practice head.

Offline RichTRX

• post whore
« Reply #6 on: Feb 5, 2009, 01:29PM »
I'll just do it, take plenty of photos and do a before and after dyno run; then let everyone see if it's worthwhile