Author Topic: RCA plugs  (Read 2853 times)

Offline BILL*69

• is on LPG...
  • post whore
  • Off Defect Finally..
RCA plugs
« on: Mar 27, 2008, 10:45PM »
Ok guys...

My amp is connected to head unit via two RCA plugs... and i remember them being loose on the head unit, i.e. easily move around, slide etc. Now, with my new splits in and running off the amp, ive found when i hit bumps, the left speaker cuts out sometimes... I had a play around with this, also saw that it cuts out when i smack the top of the dash... So0 i began to think, maybe something behind the head unit is loose and causing problems. When i jiggle my hand around behind the head unit, the speakers cut in and out... Also, the sub sometimes does it (which is run off the same amp). Ive come to a conclusion that the RCA's are moving on the back of the head unit, causing shit connections etc etc.

How tight should they be on there, and how can i get some tighter fitting ones to eliminate my problem?

Or if you have any other ideas as to my speaker cutting out problem, suggest them.

MUCH APPRECIATED SOUND GURUS!!!!
mr 4ut0m4t1c d0r1fft0000 p1nny 0n ga5 w17h cu5t0m u13h su8w00f3r!
When i'm cruisin' wit my bitches and G's ready to pop a cap in the ass of some fool who thinks he's bank by takin' my corner of the block....  ::)

Offline DTM

• post whore
Re: RCA plugs
« Reply #1 on: Mar 27, 2008, 11:36PM »
Is everything running off amps? If so then you're probably right.
Just buy some good quality ones, ie Streetwire

Offline BILL*69

• is on LPG...
  • post whore
  • Off Defect Finally..
« Reply #2 on: Mar 27, 2008, 11:37PM »
ATM yes everything is, mainly because i have so far only put the new front splits in and hooked them up to the amp, while the sub has been in for a while. Good to hear someone else had the same train of thought, i will go next week sometime, or on saturday...
mr 4ut0m4t1c d0r1fft0000 p1nny 0n ga5 w17h cu5t0m u13h su8w00f3r!
When i'm cruisin' wit my bitches and G's ready to pop a cap in the ass of some fool who thinks he's bank by takin' my corner of the block....  ::)

Offline DTM

• post whore
« Reply #3 on: Mar 28, 2008, 11:07AM »
Just remember it's also possible that its not necessarily the connection between the plugs that could be the issue, could also be the connection inside the HU

Offline weasel

• antrx.com moderator
  • post whore
  • ooooweeeooooo
« Reply #4 on: Mar 28, 2008, 10:21PM »
just squeeze the sides in a little to tighten up the connection and run some electrical tape around them to stop them pulling apart

if that don't work then like dtm said it could be your head unit or even your amp if they are all running off the same one

try the rca's first then work your way to the bigger stuff
"Noss is God"

Offline Jono

• The Wise Man
  • Global Moderator
  • post whore
  • memory boy!
« Reply #5 on: Mar 30, 2008, 06:05PM »
I'd say it's in the RCAs if you're getting it when you're hitting the dash.

Whether it's in the connection between the plugs, in the cables themselves or in your head unit is something you'll have to investigate further.

Are they plugged into the back of the head unit properly? You should be able to reach up behind the dash and feel the RCAs without pulling any panels off.
#1 Post Wh0re
pringles was here!