Author Topic: Hub Change - Twin Piston Hubs and disc rotors  (Read 3779 times)

Offline SR20ME

• antrx.com full member
Hub Change - Twin Piston Hubs and disc rotors
« on: Apr 3, 2013, 12:12PM »
Hi guys

As you know when Dano had the conversion done he converted the U12 to have twin piston brakes at the front. After doing the CV joints and looking at a wreck briefly is it fair to say that I have the hubs as well from an avenir???

My worry is that you can't buy disc rotors for the avenir in Australia (already tried).

How do I measure the disc size to match with what I have and is it just a case of getting the discs of similar size and getting them drilled correctly? Was going to just go back to U12 single piston setup but if this involves changing the hubs then forget it as I just got a brand new cv shaft. I haven't checked if the splines going into the hub are the same or not between the U12 and Avenir hubs.

My guess is the discs are original from the Avenir and true kms are unknown. Somewhere between 60,000kms - 70,000kms maybe

Offline Budgie

• Dr. B Udgie - AWD FTW
  • Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12-U13
Re: Hub Change - Twin Piston Hubs and disc rotors
« Reply #1 on: Apr 3, 2013, 12:26PM »
Have you found the specs for the brakes on the P11? Then you'll know the sizes.

Probably shares rotors sizes with a 200SX, Maxima or maybe even an import U13...?
dont piss me off with your pillarless shit captain snappy wrist

Offline SR20ME

• antrx.com full member
« Reply #2 on: Apr 3, 2013, 04:14PM »
Have you found the specs for the brakes on the P11? Then you'll know the sizes.

Probably shares rotors sizes with a 200SX, Maxima or maybe even an import U13...?

You mean W10? The P11 from what I can find didn't come out with a turbo?

Also is there anyway I can find out exactly what model my engine came out of?

I have found this information in relation to Nissan brake swaps - http://www.trinituner.com/v3/forums/viewtopic.php?t=303840

Interesting from what is mentioned is that the disc brake pad is the same for A32 / A33 maxima. I assume that if this is the case then the calliper will be the same as well (whether it is single or dual piston). I need to measure my discs to be sure I guess.

Offline Dragon

• What do they call a mini pringle!?!
  • antrx cruise monkey
  • antrx.com full member
« Reply #3 on: Apr 5, 2013, 08:45PM »
hey mate,

If you go onto the DBA download catalogue section of the dba site you can see all the dimensions of each rotor they sell aswell as on the top of each page it tells you where the measurements are taken from.

http://www.dba.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/AusCat05AUG2011v2.pdf

If its got the brakes I'm thinking of the R32t+ R33 GtS-4 (4WD) should be the right size. (DBA 953)
« Last Edit: Apr 8, 2013, 05:47PM by Dragon »
"Noss is GOD"

Offline noss

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • great scott!
    • antrx
« Reply #4 on: Apr 7, 2013, 10:49PM »
what i don't understand is why some people insist on going for larger diameter brakes and machining them down when they could get something off the shelf that fits straight up, no machining. this is why i hate people :P

but yes, if you have twin piston brakes with 4 stud rotors, go the brakes that dragon mentioned. they are what i used to run on my pintara with probably the exact same calipers that you're running.

http://polyfedelicio.us/imgs/ - free image hosting for whatever you like

Offline SR20ME

• antrx.com full member
« Reply #5 on: Apr 7, 2013, 11:19PM »
what i don't understand is why some people insist on going for larger diameter brakes and machining them down when they could get something off the shelf that fits straight up, no machining. this is why i hate people :P

but yes, if you have twin piston brakes with 4 stud rotors, go the brakes that dragon mentioned. they are what i used to run on my pintara with probably the exact same calipers that you're running.

I'll do more research on this and see how I go. Thanks Dragon / Noss for some ideas anyway  ;D. It is good that Nissan share there parts with other model cars.

Offline noss

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • great scott!
    • antrx
Re: Re: Hub Change - Twin Piston Hubs and disc rotors
« Reply #6 on: Apr 8, 2013, 07:37PM »
I made a post somewhere about the brake swap to show it was a straight up fit. Double check if my calipers look like yours.

Offline Dragon

• What do they call a mini pringle!?!
  • antrx cruise monkey
  • antrx.com full member
"Noss is GOD"

Offline Pure_Sincerity

• post whore
  • noss is my father
« Reply #8 on: Apr 9, 2013, 09:45AM »
Deviate is also running the twin piston calipers from the u13 with slotted rotors.

And for others reading, if you want to convert to 5 stud, the j30 maxima complete hub assembly bolts up the exact same, I just did it, refer to my thread for pics.
U12 TRX
KA25DE
HIGH COMP
MEGASQUIRT
COILOVERS
INDIVIDUAL THROTTLE BODIES

Offline noss

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • great scott!
    • antrx
« Reply #9 on: Apr 9, 2013, 10:53AM »
why would you want to convert to 5 stud for if you have brakes that you can get off the shelf as 4 stud?

Offline Pure_Sincerity

• post whore
  • noss is my father
« Reply #10 on: Apr 9, 2013, 11:03AM »
why would you want to convert to 5 stud for if you have brakes that you can get off the shelf as 4 stud?

More choice in rotor sizes/thicknesses, a fuck load more wheel choices. To clear bigger brakes ? And also more reliable have 5 studs rather than 4 ?
U12 TRX
KA25DE
HIGH COMP
MEGASQUIRT
COILOVERS

Offline Kranzy

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12 - SR20DET
« Reply #11 on: Apr 9, 2013, 11:05AM »
Rotor size and thickness is determined by your calipers, and cant say that 5 studs is more reliable than 4, only difference is more wheel options to clear the big brake upgrade.

Although I remember having a heap of choices of rims when i bought mine that were designed for big brake upgrades.
Quote from: noss
learnt something new just then, dont eat baked bean sandwhiches while changing the paper in the copier

"Noss is GOD"

Offline Pure_Sincerity

• post whore
  • noss is my father
« Reply #12 on: Apr 9, 2013, 11:23AM »
Well, complete hub assemblies, 324mm rotors, + adapters is far cheaper than buying blank rotors, having them drilled to 4x114.3 and machined down 6mm when doing 4 pot upgrade on a u12. But anyway, this thread was about the twin pots on sr20me car.
U12 TRX
KA25DE
HIGH COMP
MEGASQUIRT
COILOVERS

Offline SR20ME

• antrx.com full member
Re: Re: Hub Change - Twin Piston Hubs and disc rotors
« Reply #13 on: Apr 15, 2013, 09:30PM »
I made a post somewhere about the brake swap to show it was a straight up fit. Double check if my calipers look like yours.

Hey Noss, thanks for the additional info. I can't tell if your U13 double callipers are the same as mine. Do you have pictures from the other side (side where the CV shaft bolts to the hub?). That will tell me for sure. It looks similar of course as they are twin piston. I think I just have to measure them.